Official 2012 IM Match Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure you're making that up. Isn't The Brigham just another community hospital in Boston?

ha, I brought it up actually. I guess its part of the harvard system. a top notch program...at least they are saying so!

Members don't see this ad.

I concur.

Aways can do more harm than good. Rarely to they even count for anything. Most of the time you are sequestered away on some random specialty rotation and you don't really get to meet too many important people.

FWIW, I did an away rotation in a sub specialty elective at a big program and I'm pretty sure it's the reason I matched at my number one. I came from a top 50ish med school that doesn't have a huge h/0 sending people to the big 4 medicine program and I dont have a phd or patent or know lots of, well, people. Anything that can put you one spot higher on the list helps at the top programs where all the interviewees are really competitive. What have you got to lose? You'll learn how another hospital works and more about the things you value in a program.

But then again, I matched at some program in Boston that apparently people haven't heard about.

FWIW, I did an away rotation in a sub specialty elective at a big program and I'm pretty sure it's the reason I matched at my number one. I came from a top 50ish med school that doesn't have a huge h/0 sending people to the big 4 medicine program and I dont have a phd or patent or know lots of, well, people. Anything that can put you one spot higher on the list helps at the top programs where all the interviewees are really competitive. What have you got to lose? You'll learn how another hospital works and more about the things you value in a program.

But then again, I matched at some program in Boston that apparently people haven't heard about.

agreed; the away rotations were a big reason why some of my friends matched at certain places as well.

if on paper you are a strong candidate, just do the interview but if you need a leg up ie your steps aren't good or you don't have much else on your resume, then try to get an away rotation there and impress them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's your funeral.

If you are a half decent candidate for IM, anything more than 1 away is a waste of time, and even 1 is probably not going to provide any benefit to you.

do you really have to be a douchebag about your responses

I LOL'd.

I bet you're a blast at parties.

How's being a whiny little b**** working out for you?

Questions were asked, honest truthful answers were given. If you think this is "douche-y" you've got a pretty long and painful road ahead of you.

Most of the time with an away, you are being compared to the hometeam students who already know the system. It is very easy to look like a ***** when you don't know that people call interventional radiology CVDL and you spend half the afternoon trying to get a procedure set up. This is not always the case though.

Well then it really must burn to go to the second, likely third best program in the country. The people in San Fransisco and Baltimore are chuckling.

I LOL'd.

I bet you're a blast at parties.

How's being a whiny little b**** working out for you?

Questions were asked, honest truthful answers were given. If you think this is "douche-y" you've got a pretty long and painful road ahead of you.

Ha! Bad night Gutonc?

I'm pretty sure you're making that up. Isn't The Brigham just another community hospital in Boston?

When you leave residency, do your farts makes the sound "johns hopkins", kind of like when that dog says, "i love you,"

[YOUTUBE]qXo3NFqkaRM[/YOUTUBE]

Except you can do it with your ass??!

And do the farts smell like chocolate chip cookies too? I heard that.

late entry

Board Scores: Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 250s
--AOA and class rank: not AOA but ranked top 15%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top25
--Research: 1 pub 1 poster
--Honors in clerkships: honors everything and 2 subI's but HP OBGYN
--# and where you did away rotations: 0
--# of programs you applied to: 13, ranked 8
--Where invited for interviews: UCSD, UCLA, Stanford, Hopkins, UMich, UChicago, Northwestern, BID
--Where matched: Stanford
--Matched at what number on rank list: 1

Advice: always drink the alcohol the night before, enjoy yourself.

When you leave residency, do your farts makes the sound "johns hopkins", kind of like when that dog says, "i love you," Except you can do it with your ass??!

And do the farts smell like chocolate chip cookies too? I heard that.

It is a little known fact but you heard right.

Board Scores: Step 1: 225, Step 2: 250
--AOA and class rank: AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 50
--Research: 1 publication, 1 poster, one oral research presentation
--Other extra curricular: Lead coordinator for our free clinic during the second year, continued to volunteer and work with Kaplan teaching during school
--Honors in clerkships: Honored everything 3rd and 4th year except FM clerkship
--# and where you did away rotations: 1
--# of programs you applied to: 22, interviewed at 11, ranked 9
--Where invited for interviews: Wash U, Vanderbilt, UCSD, U of Washington, Mayo...
--Where matched: University of Colorado - Hospitalist Leaders track

Board Scores: Step 1: 242, Step 2: 245
--AOA and class rank: upper 1/3, no AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 30
--Research: 1 publication (premed school), 1 poster
--Other extra curricular: standard stuff.
--Honors in clerkships: Honor Psych, Sub I in Neph and MICU as M4. Letters OB.
--# of programs you applied to: 25, interviewed at 10, ranked 9
--Where invited for interviews: Wisconsin, UNC, Case, OSU, Rochester, Utah.
--Where matched: University of Utah
--Matched at what number on rank list: #1

I guess I can join in if this helps any future applicants out...

Board Scores: Step 1: 242, Step 2: 271
--AOA and class rank: top 20%, no AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 50
--Research: no publications
--Honors in clerkships: honors in most, just HP in medicine though
--# and where you did away rotations: no away rotations
--# of programs you applied to: 24 maybe? 17 interview invites, attended 12
--Where invited for interviews: UPMC, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Yale, Cornell, Emory, Mayo, UVA, UNC, UAB, Case, CCF, Ohio State, UIC, Loyola, Einstein, Wake Forest
--Applied to & no invite: Northwestern, Chicago, Duke, Penn, Columbia, NYU, Mount Sinai
--Where matched: UPMC
--Matched at what number on rank list: 1st
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): luck! haha

Congrats everyone on fantastic matches/thanks for advice throughout the process!

This is the most similar app to what mine will be like that I've seen. Gives me hope. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

late entry

Board Scores: Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 250s
--AOA and class rank: not AOA but ranked top 15%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top25
--Research: 1 pub 1 poster
--Honors in clerkships: honors everything and 2 subI's but HP OBGYN
--# of programs you applied to: 13, ranked 8
--Where invited for interviews: UCSD, UCLA, Stanford, Hopkins, UMich, UChicago, Northwestern, BID
--Where matched: Stanford

Advice: always drink the alcohol the night before, enjoy yourself.

This is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.