Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amavir281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that there was a similar thread for 2011 that had plenty of useful info so I figured its best to start one for 2012. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really like that book. I thought I'd love it... I figured that the humor would stop me from getting distracted like I usually do. But it was actually the opposite effect... I kept thinking about the jokes (and the like) and didn't really spend enough time thinking about whatever it was that they actually wanted me to learn.

But everybody else thinks that it's great.
What I liked about CMMRS was that it was straightforward and to the point. The mnemonics were interesting but I think the way the text is presented makes it easy to recall.

I will say, that picture with the Staff/Staph and the Cat has stuck in my mind for at least 2 years. I'll never forget that Staph Areus is Catalase Positive now.

Last edited:
I didn't really like that book. I thought I'd love it... I figured that the humor would stop me from getting distracted like I usually do. But it was actually the opposite effect... I kept thinking about the jokes (and the like) and didn't really spend enough time thinking about whatever it was that they actually wanted me to learn.

But everybody else thinks that it's great.

It's ok, if the pictures help something click then it's worth it. Actually reading the entire book is a waste of time. I just look at the pictures and if they're helping me picture and remember something better, I read about that topic a little further. If the picture's not working, I just skip it.

It's ok, if the pictures help something click then it's worth it. Actually reading the entire book is a waste of time. I just look at the pictures and if they're helping me picture and remember something better, I read about that topic a little further. If the picture's not working, I just skip it.

Why would reading the book be a waste? So you think the Sanjiv microcards are better?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Sanjiv microcards have been more helpful so far, at least to me. You could read the entirety of CMMRS before your study period, but in the last 4-6 weeks I'm not sure it's the best use of your time.

this. hopefully you read CMMRS during your micro course. what i found was that the pneumonics that stuck from that book, really stuck. but the rest of it wasn't enough to make it worth reading it again during dedicated Step study. maybe the charts at the end of each chapter (i didn't use them but i could see cramming those in an afternoon)

If you've ever listened to Goljan audio or Kaplan CenterPrep, then you'd know that these companies definitely do post test debriefings and get details on specific test question concepts, what kind of pictures were being used, etc. For example Mr. Raymond (Pharm, Kaplan) in one of his video said something along the lines of "Oh, they tested on aminoglycoside side effect of inhibition of the NMJ by showing a diagram of a neuronal synapse and you had to pick the same mode of action as botulinum toxin." Yeah, that level of specificity. Every 10 minutes Goljan in his audio will refer to the fact that things are in his review notes BECAUSE they are based on student feedback from the exam. He'll say things like "One of my students told me this EXACT picture was on the exam, KNOW IT!." Or "I didn't think CD10 was important, but student feedback said that was the answer choice to a question about the diagnosis ALL based on CD markers. So I just added it to the notes. If you had a lecture with me 3 weeks ago it wasn't in them," etc. Yet they're allowed to profit from it...

It just seems odd. When radiology got busted for having recall question banks for their boards that was wrong and condemned by the authorities/media, but things like UWorld or Kaplan are endorsed by medical schools around the country.

Regardless of what should happen to these companies, they aren't contractually bound to silence like students are. :shrug:

Alright, then it should be okay for an MS2 who's never taken STEP 1 (and thus not contractually bound to silence) to post specifics about STEP questions they've heard about from those who have taken the test?

It's the same situation. Test taker sharing info to a second party, who spreads that info with knowledge that the test taker broke a contractual agreement. Only they aren't making any money off it.

The entire system lacks integrity. Kaplan, Goljan, First Aid, et al. exist and are useful because students don't keep their mouths shut about the test.

i wouldnt worry about it too much. chances are, question that you've heard are on the test will make up less than 1% of what you see.

i could easily pull out first aid and say whats on the test, and I'd probably be right for somone.

only difference is if goljan teaches you directly, then I imagine he spills a lot of their secrets. this is probably why he got so pissed when his audio was leaked. gave the boards people the chance to change their questions up

It's the same situation. Test taker sharing info to a second party, who spreads that info with knowledge that the test taker broke a contractual agreement. Only they aren't making any money off it.

The entire system lacks integrity. Kaplan, Goljan, First Aid, et al. exist and are useful because students don't keep their mouths shut about the test.

Nevermind, it is what it is.

i wouldnt worry about it too much. chances are, question that you've heard are on the test will make up less than 1% of what you see.

i could easily pull out first aid and say whats on the test, and I'd probably be right for somone.

only difference is if goljan teaches you directly, then I imagine he spills a lot of their secrets. this is probably why he got so pissed when his audio was leaked. gave the boards people the chance to change their questions up

Yeah, the leaked Goljan audio is good for an overview of the material and it's good for passive listening, but if you think any of his famous "that's a boards question" are going to be on your test, you're mistaken. If you focus just on his "high-yield" examples and not the general concepts being presented, you're preparing for tests that were given years ago.

in any case, F the people who write these questions. i don't think asking whether a virus is single-stranded or double-stranded is required for safe medical practice. its just a waste of time and energy

Members don't see this ad :)
in any case, F the people who write these questions. i don't think asking whether a virus is single-stranded or double-stranded is required for safe medical practice. its just a waste of time and energy

Seriously. Test writers have the opportunity to force future physicians to memorize material for 4+ weeks straight and they want us to know the specifics of viral structures? How about the side effects of drugs that are no longer used. Or incredibly rare genetic diseases that we will probably never see in our careers. etc etc. Imagine how much more prepared third year students would be for the wards if Step 1 tested all clinically relevant material. It's very possible to do this while still covering the basic sciences, a good portion of their questions already do a great job of testing basic science knowledge while staying clinically relevant.

Took it yesterday. Super hard. I was scoring in the 250s on my past 3 NBMEs but there was so much stuff I wasn't very familiar with on the exam and so many convoluted applications of stuff I thought I knew, that I feel like my score could be anywhere. I feel like I had a ton of behavioral science though, which was a nice break from the esoteric crap that filled the rest of my test. I usually finished uworld blocks with about 17-20 minutes to spare, even with looking back at marked questions, but this test took me down to the last second on every single block. There was only one run of like 12 questions where I felt like I was in a groove with the questions and cruising with everything sounding familiar to me. So, in sum, it was tons of fun. I'll post my score and what I did to study when I get it. Good luck to everyone studying.

Took it yesterday. Super hard. I was scoring in the 250s on my past 3 NBMEs but there was so much stuff I wasn't very familiar with on the exam and so many convoluted applications of stuff I thought I knew, that I feel like my score could be anywhere. I feel like I had a ton of behavioral science though, which was a nice break from the esoteric crap that filled the rest of my test. I usually finished uworld blocks with about 17-20 minutes to spare, even with looking back at marked questions, but this test took me down to the last second on every single block. There was only one run of like 12 questions where I felt like I was in a groove with the questions and cruising with everything sounding familiar to me. So, in sum, it was tons of fun. I'll post my score and what I did to study when I get it. Good luck to everyone studying.

sounds like real fun, good luck! :xf:
and do post your prep.

I would be scared out of my mind to get a test with a lot of behavioral. Rock on if you found that to be a nice break!

As far as I've read from LOTS of posts on SDN, many people who come out feeling unsure end up doing well, so don't worry. Nobody is supposed to feel sure after the Step.

Alright, then it should be okay for an MS2 who's never taken STEP 1 (and thus not contractually bound to silence) to post specifics about STEP questions they've heard about from those who have taken the test?
Absolutely legal, they aren't the ones who agreed to silence. However, whether it is ethical is another question.

Hi everyone, :)

I took the Step 1 in few months back. I have benefited from the info and posts on this forum. It's time for me to give back.

Overall Prep time: 5 months ( 3 months dedicated)
UWSA#1- 235
NBME 6 ( 6 weeks before test)- 235/560
NBME 11(5 weeks before test)- 257/650
NBME 7 (2 weeks before test)- 245/600
UWSA #2 - 263
UWorld- started low 70's..finished up avg- high 70-low 80s
Real Step 1 score- 260/89

I used FA, Kaplan and Pathoma. These were my main sources. I referenced Goljans path book, BRS on occasion. Overall, KEY to doing well was Reviewing as often as possible. UWorld was also very helpful, would highly recommend using this Qbank.
Best of luck to you all :thumbup:

Figured I'd start to get acquainted with this thread, so I just read the whole thing. Love the support in here. Taking mine June 14th. Unfortunately, we don't finish finals until May 11th.

I'm about 80% through USMLErx right now and First Aid; I'll start UWorld after finals. Too bad we haven't finished Pharm yet in class - sometimes I really hate the way my school does things.

Would anybody recommend starting to listen to Goljan on things I'm weak at between now and my dedicated study time (in a month)?

I just finished nbme7 and was wondering if I should take nbme 13 or nbme 12. My exam is on may 16. I am aiming for 250+ for residency I am looking to get in . Below is my progress and please advise. I have been using fa mostly with school notes and rapid review for path.

Shelf-242 mid march
Nbme 6- 257 04/01
Nbme7- 261 04/09
Uworld qbank 33% unused questions left- 74 % overall

I haven't taken any uworld SA's.

Quick question regarding lab values: This may seem very odd or just common sense to some, but for some reason its been bothering me, if a lab value is right on the cusp of normal, do we consider it normal or abnormal?

For example, lets say the normal range was 2-5, and the lab value was 1.5 or 5.5, do we consider that low and high, respectively? Similarily, if the lab was value was 2 or 5, we would say, normal right?

I took the Step 1 in few months back. I have benefited from the info and posts on this forum. It's time for me to give back.

UWSA#1- 235
UWSA #2 - 263

I used FA, Kaplan and Pathoma. These were my main sources. I referenced Goljans path book, BRS on occasion. Overall, KEY to doing well was Reviewing as often as possible. UWorld was also very helpful, would highly recommend using this Qbank.

Congrats on an awesome score! :thumbup:

Quick question regarding lab values: This may seem very odd or just common sense to some, but for some reason its been bothering me, if a lab value is right on the cusp of normal, do we consider it normal or abnormal?

For example, lets say the normal range was 2-5, and the lab value was 1.5 or 5.5, do we consider that low and high, respectively? Similarily, if the lab was value was 2 or 5, we would say, normal right?

Depends on the value. If somebody's pH is 7.35 (NR 7.35-7.45), and their CO2 and/or HCO3 are out of whack, it's reasonable to consider them acidotic.

If somebody's potassium is 3.6 (NR 3.5-5.5), then you probably shouldn't start them on furosemide.

But if somebody's platelet count is 100,000 (NR >150,000) or hemoglobin is 9, then even though that's technically outside the normal range, you can consider them to be normal if they're asymptomatic.

Thanks! One more questions I had...

I'll only have time to do one, that's the reason I'm asking. Which one is better to do: the Pathoma videos or the Goljan audio (not the rapid review book, just listening to the audio)?

I think Pathoma is better if you can only do one. Goljan audio is great, but it's not a standalone resource... to be good at pathology, you need to learn to recognize certain pictures, etc.

Also, Pathoma is more to-the-point. Goljan audio is about 35 hours long, but he spends a lot of time making jokes, telling stories, and explaining basic concepts that you should already know by this point in time. Pathoma just focuses on telling you what you need to know in the minimum possible time.

UWSA#1- 235
UWSA #2 - 263

Congratz on the great score! How did you feel after the exam when you came out (and the weeks after)?

is it enough to just read pathoma or is it necessary to watch the audio as well? if so can i watch 1.5 speed??? 35 hours, gosh that sounds like a lot of time... :eek:

is it enough to just read pathoma or is it necessary to watch the audio as well?
No, you have to watch the video. The text is just an adjunct... most of the important points and high-yield pearls are mentioned in the video. If you just want to read it, you might as well just read First Aid or some other random path resource.

if so can i watch 1.5 speed???
Yes, easily. He doesn't talk all that quickly. Even at 1.7x speed, I sometimes feel like I could go faster.

35 hours, gosh that sounds like a lot of time... :eek:
If 35 hours sounds like too much time, then you might not have enough study time planned... if you need something more comprehensive and are crunched for time, you could try one of the First Aid review series... USMLERx, Falcon, and Kaplan are all offering them now as 50ish-hour comprehensive reviews.

Would anybody recommend starting to listen to Goljan on things I'm weak at between now and my dedicated study time (in a month)?

Yes, absolutely. Goljan will help you with your finals too and it's a great way to brush up on your weaknesses.

Since you only have a month of dedicated study time, you'd probably be better off using Pathoma than Goljan during that time period. Goljan is only a comprehensive resource if you combine it with his book, which is way too long for your schedule.

Quick question to anyone who's taken the test recently - have any of Goljan's test "give-aways" (ie. first thing you do if you find a breast mass-FNA!) or methods to answering a question (like differentiating the leukemias solely by age) come up on your test? Are these still high-yield or outdated? I already know most of the basic concepts so this would be my only real reason to listening to his lectures..

For those taking Step 1 this summer or sooner, how are you approaching /did you approach boards studying in your final weeks (with finals coming up)? I feel like I cannot get real deep into anything because of time. I am probably going to mainly focus on boards-relevant points of class, but with so many people ramping up, reviewing first year material or other MS2 things.... just curious what you all are doing!

For those taking Step 1 this summer or sooner, how are you approaching /did you approach boards studying in your final weeks (with finals coming up)? I feel like I cannot get real deep into anything because of time. I am probably going to mainly focus on boards-relevant points of class, but with so many people ramping up, reviewing first year material or other MS2 things.... just curious what you all are doing!

Right now I'm happy with mediocrity in my classes. We had a block of exams today over about 2wks of material. I crammed it in the past 3 days, passed which is all that matters, and used the other 11 days to study boards only. I feel like right now a higher boards score is more of a priority than scoring well on esoteric material...

I've been spending most of my weekends on Step I prep, questions when I remember to (almost every day but not quite) and trying to get by in classes. I can't say I've been going through the boards material quickly, but at least I'm getting through some of it.

Right now I'm happy with mediocrity in my classes. We had a block of exams today over about 2wks of material. I crammed it in the past 3 days, passed which is all that matters, and used the other 11 days to study boards only. I feel like right now a higher boards score is more of a priority than scoring well on esoteric material...

I've been doing something similar. Our tests have about 6 weeks of material, so when 2 weeks before the test comes around I pretty much have to abandon Step stuff. I have been doing stuff everyday and balancing it, but now that I'm at the end of classes I don't really care as much about those grades as Step.

Hey guys need help from those who have experience. i'm starting to prepare step1 exam, what sources would you suggest? thanks p.s. preparing pathology now with Goljan is it good or not so?

Last edited:
Have any recent test takers done NBME 13? I'm very interested to see how the latest NBME compares to the real deal.

Well I already took my exam but I started out somewhat unusually: during the last month of classes I went through DIT just to get a good exposure to everything and see where I was having trouble remembering things. It was pretty time consuming and I am lucky that our last block was Neuro/Psych, felt much lighter than all the other blocks.
I didn't do anything but required stuff for that block and studied everything in the week leading up to the exam, like 4 days.
I already knew some of the areas where I'd have trouble (cough.biochem.cough) but I feel like it also showed me areas where I wasn't connecting things. Also, as dumb as they are, some of their pneumonics stuck. Made my life easier for later rounds.

Obviously, your plan will depend on the time you have/difficulty of your last block.

Well I already took my exam but I started out somewhat unusually: during the last month of classes I went through DIT just to get a good exposure to everything and see where I was having trouble remembering things. It was pretty time consuming and I am lucky that our last block was Neuro/Psych, felt much lighter than all the other blocks.
I didn't do anything but required stuff for that block and studied everything in the week leading up to the exam, like 4 days.
I already knew some of the areas where I'd have trouble (cough.biochem.cough) but I feel like it also showed me areas where I wasn't connecting things. Also, as dumb as they are, some of their pneumonics stuck. Made my life easier for later rounds.

Obviously, your plan will depend on the time you have/difficulty of your last block.

When do you get your score back and did you take NBME 13? I'd really like to know how that is measuring up for people because I was going to take it as my only NBME before my test but people are saying I shouldn't because there is a ton of random stuff that will freak me out :scared:

Just took it today. I'm glad that it's done with but I also received some bad news after I took the test. So I'm kinda :(.

I did light preparation for it in January by doing a couple of World questions every now and then. After classes were done our school gives us 1 month to prepare.

There was a lot of Heme on my exam.

I wasn't scoring 250's like a lot of the SDN superstars we have on here but I hope it went well.

When do you get your score back and did you take NBME 13? I'd really like to know how that is measuring up for people because I was going to take it as my only NBME before my test but people are saying I shouldn't because there is a ton of random stuff that will freak me out :scared:

I took NBME 13 and I found it to be the hardest one of the ones I've taken ( I did 11 and 12 as well). I didn't end up scoring much lower than the other two (4 points). From personal experience along with my friends' experience, my advice is that you shouldn't take this exam iif you have less than 2 weeks til your real one. It will scare the pants off of you.
Compared to the real thing (which I took today, will hear back about in I guess a month), 13 is harder. There were definitely questions today that I still don't know the answer to because they aren't something I can even look up but those are relatively few and the rest have a mix of give away and some relatively difficult questions that you can reason through. Maybe I just learned not to panic but it felt a lot less stressful today than when I took 13.

Keep in mind that I am not a typical SDN 250+ scorer, my scores have been respectful but unfortunately resistant to every manner of intense study >:[.

I took NBME 13 and I found it to be the hardest one of the ones I've taken ( I did 11 and 12 as well). I didn't end up scoring much lower than the other two (4 points). From personal experience along with my friends' experience, my advice is that you shouldn't take this exam iif you have less than 2 weeks til your real one. It will scare the pants off of you.
Compared to the real thing (which I took today, will hear back about in I guess a month), 13 is harder. There were definitely questions today that I still don't know the answer to because they aren't something I can even look up but those are relatively few and the rest have a mix of give away and some relatively difficult questions that you can reason through. Maybe I just learned not to panic but it felt a lot less stressful today than when I took 13.

Keep in mind that I am not a typical SDN 250+ scorer, my scores have been respectful but unfortunately resistant to every manner of intense study >:[.

Thanks for your response. What about your test today was it that you felt was hard? Lots anatomy (i.e. people say random pelvic or tons of neuro), lots of cell bio, just a ton of random Q's?

I notice about myself that a lot of times I don't know many of the Uworld answers cold or even close to it but if I stop to think about what is really being asked I can reason my way to things. However, this leads to spending more than the 78 seconds per question you are allotted on some questions and about 30 seconds on the ones I know cold.

This brings me to my last question: Did you feel the question length was very long? I am not a fast reader at all and sometimes read questions 2x but I'm afraid though this has worked out okay on UWorld the stems are so much longer that I'll run out of time.

TIA :)

Just took it today. I'm glad that it's done with but I also received some bad news after I took the test. So I'm kinda :(.

I did light preparation for it in January by doing a couple of World questions every now and then. After classes were done our school gives us 1 month to prepare.

There was a lot of Heme on my exam.

I wasn't scoring 250's like a lot of the SDN superstars we have on here but I hope it went well.

How were the question lengths? Longer than UWorld or NBMEs? Thanks

Anyone have a suggestion on what to use to prepare for the cell bio/lab technique stuff on the exam? A true weakness and I heard its tested a lot.

Thanks

First Aid...

Edit: And wow, a 10+ year member and just now taking Step 1??

Thanks for your response. What about your test today was it that you felt was hard? Lots anatomy (i.e. people say random pelvic or tons of neuro), lots of cell bio, just a ton of random Q's?

I notice about myself that a lot of times I don't know many of the Uworld answers cold or even close to it but if I stop to think about what is really being asked I can reason my way to things. However, this leads to spending more than the 78 seconds per question you are allotted on some questions and about 30 seconds on the ones I know cold.

This brings me to my last question: Did you feel the question length was very long? I am not a fast reader at all and sometimes read questions 2x but I'm afraid though this has worked out okay on UWorld the stems are so much longer that I'll run out of time.

TIA :)
The hardest question, period, was an immuno/deficiency one. It had what seemed like 2 conditions superimposed and the answer choices they gave didn't seem to make sense, perhaps I just didn't study enough immuno. There were a couple more questions that were really trying to sell you hard on multiple diagnoses, one of them very long, 2 paragraphs and lab values (and a ton of concomitant meds), but I eventually reasoned my way through.
Anatomy: knowing nerves and vessels is not enough, I was asked insertion points of muscles, spinal fracture questions. Had maybe 4 stroke questions, nothing particularly intense.
It felt like all my patients were women or children with something itching, hardly any cardio but when it did come up it was HARD! I don't remember a single pelvic question but like people say...each test is different, so know it as well as you know arms/legs/brachial plexus.
Timing: some questions take longer to read, some longer to read and think about, some are a breeze through. On the breeze ones, just trust that you know what you are talking about and move on as soon as you pick the answer. There were plenty where I spent 15 seconds on, and I am not a native speaker :p. I ended up finishing a couple blocks 5 minutes or so early and I never do that, so it just depends on your mix.
I found that the biostats questions were more involved than anything uworld showed but not out of my reach, the ethical questions made me really think when they are usually are a breeze for me.
Last word of caution: I don't know if that was a coincidence or what but me and like 3 of my friends felt our very last section was significantly harder than the rest, like marking one question after another and taking way too long to move through. The hardest questions on my exam were largely here. Be aware and ready for it if it happens to you.

wow, this is a novel. anyways, hope this helps.