About the ads

Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step I' started by amavir281, Feb 15, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. johnnydrama

johnnydrama I'm no Superman

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Those types of questions were definitely appearing on the test a couple of years ago. As far as lists of facts for memorization go, that's probably one of the higher yield ones.
  2. kaleerkalut

kaleerkalut

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks a ton! Anatomy :eek: Off to study more :scared:
    Btw, what about embryo?
  3. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    How does that question pertain to the topic of this thread?
    Also how does it even remotely affect you?
  4. auburnO5

auburnO5

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    How does that question pertain to the topic of this thread?
    Also how does it even remotely affect you?

++++++++

^^^ U mad.

It's mind boggling, did he join SDN in 5th grade?
  5. shan564

shan564 Below the fray

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Some people don't go straight to med school after undergrad. There's also a high school section in SDN.
  6. Brigade4Radiant

Brigade4Radiant

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Ok I talked to more of my friends who took it today. I kinda feel like the curve on my exam will be rough because while it was hard. Especially block 3 :scared:(I marked every 3rd question) I didn't feel that bad after I left. Some of my friends were discussing that they were asked about insertion points for muscles and weird ambiguous questions also one of them had a lot of questions on the knee. I had about 6 questions about lysosomal storage disorders. :mad:
  7. auburnO5

auburnO5

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Muscle insertion points is about as low yield of a topic that I can think of.
  8. mdeast

mdeast

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Wow. 6 questions on lysosomal storage diseases. That must officially qualify as the test from heck (can we curse on here?). Those would almost immediately be incorrect for me haha.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  9. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    Nah bro, I'm not mad.

I simply wanted to point out what a sweet combination of irrelevance, arrogance and ignorance your statement had. That killer combo truly exemplifies what every program in the nation is waiting for. Bravo my man.

You sure put that old doogie in his place. Did it make you feel better?
  10. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    Why is everyone worried about peripheral questions? If you have the majority of it covered, who cares about a few silly questions?
  11. WonderBoy

WonderBoy PGY1

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I couldn't go to med school right after college due to circumstances that were out of my control. So I got a job, had a career, got married and finally got a chance to go 2 years ago.

Glad I didn't give up, besides I am not the oldest one in my class we have a 38 year old, I am only 30;)
  12. shan564

shan564 Below the fray

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Calm down, the poor guy was just pointing out an interesting fact. I think it was meant to be respectful if anything (i.e. wow, you've been using this site for a long time)... I don't think he meant anything deragatory. And even if he did, you could have given him the benefit of the doubt instead of jumping to a negative conclusion.

Everybody. Everybody cares about a few silly questions after the exam. And the rest of us care about what somebody else's experience after the exam was like. That's the entire purpose of this thread. No need to get annoyed about people sharing their experiences.
  13. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    I honestly did give him a chance the first time, when I asked him how those questions pertained to this thread. He chose to answer in a manner that someone might take offence. He didn't seem to be particularly worried about offending anyone by the way. If he did his reply might have been: Hey I was just curious; I didn't mean anything by it etc. I also think that humility is crucial to this field. You may disagree.

Ah ok, I guess I'm not everybody then because I don't care about a few random questions. I think people freak out over news that one rare question was asked. That was all I meant by peripheral questions. And to clear the air, I care about someone's experience. I'm not getting annoyed. I think you are painting a false picture of me. I wrote my statement just in case someone thought it was HY and crucial to the exam.

Anyway, I have no idea why I'm butting heads with you today....
  14. shan564

shan564 Below the fray

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm sorry if I got a false picture of you. I think I was probably more aggressive than I needed to be earlier today. Probably from all of the talk about amphetamines in the first DIT lecture...
  15. auburnO5

auburnO5

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    :thumbup:
  16. RedSoxSuck

RedSoxSuck

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Medical school is for suckers. Oh wait, FML!!
  17. Itachi888

Itachi888

Medical Student
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  18. auburnO5

auburnO5

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks for posting. Good score, don't let all the superstars on here fool you. My exam is very soon, and I can't decide if I want to take NBME 13 or not.

I've taken three others (scored 224, 235, 254 in that order) with about 12 days in between each.

I'm afraid if I take 13 and bomb it that it will kill my confidence. What do you think?
  19. Bernoull

Bernoull

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thanks for posting and CONGRATS on a great score!!
    233 is a respectable score, even tho the rarefied scores that dominate this thread may suggest otherwise.

I hope we get more people with diverse scores to share their experiences...
  20. JackShephard MD

JackShephard MD

Medical Student
    You only used HY Neuro for pictures? Did you find it low yield? Also, did you use all the pictures or just some, as I've heard some say to only use the first ~70 pages of HY Neuro.
  21. kaleerkalut

kaleerkalut

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Which one did you get 254 on? Nice progress.
  22. auburnO5

auburnO5

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    12. I hope it's good progress, and not just a random distribution with a big spread.
  23. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN Published Author SDN 5+ Year Member
    Because everyone on this board is applying into interventional dermatoneurosurgical radiology.
  24. scrumpy

scrumpy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I thought 13 was pretty straight forward. 7 made me feel nauseated.
  25. maxxor

maxxor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Took the Step yesterday. I also saw a ton of crazy anatomy. Weird.

Tore my ACL in the fall. Started studying after reconstruction was done in October, as I literally couldn't do much else.

I read the First Aid Organ Systems and Basic Sciences books. Did Organ Systems with our classes (organ curriculum) and used Basic Sciences to review first year material. Also used Kaplan QBank with each block to consolidate before each block's exams.

Supplemental Sources:
    Pathoma - This man is fantastic
    Micro Made Ridic Simple
    Deja Review Pharm
    MedEssentials for the Behavioral Sciences Questions
    Kaplan Pharm Cards
    Vijay's Underground Biochemistry

QBanks:
    Kaplan - Went over it about 2x.
    World - Finished and then did incorrects
    USMLERx - Did about 30-40% of it in total. I stopped doing it when they started testing on diseases that literally less than 15 people have ever had in the history of medicine.

Practice Tests:
    Kaplan Diagnostic (After finishing all first time studying) - 79%
    NBME 11 - 242
    NBME 12 - 250
    NBME 13 - 264
    UW Self Asssessment 1 - 266

Hoping for a score that lines up with what those tests predicted.

I'll report back in a month. PM me if you have questions.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  26. JackShephard MD

JackShephard MD

Medical Student
    There hasn't been a lot of feedback with these books (FA organ systems and basic sciences), did you like them? Did you find there were lots of errors? (people on this site have been complaining about errors in them)

Thanks
  27. auburnO5

auburnO5

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    It would make me feel much better if someone posted on here that their test had no anatomy. I think anatomy could be my downfall, and at this point there's really nothing I can do about it.
  28. mmmcdowe

Resident [Any Field]
    I think, just like many histo pictures aren't necessary for answering the questions, a number of these reported anatomy questions don't require extensive remembrance.
  29. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    LOL....
    Oh yeah I forgot that. Sorry. Periperal questions for the win! :p
  30. metallica81788

metallica81788 Keeper of the Llamaworm Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I feel like everyone on here has 4 months to study for this thing. Even though I'll have done all of USMLErx by the time I start UWorld, y'all are freaking me out since I only have 34 days. :laugh:
  31. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    LOl....ok np.
  32. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    Didn't you go through kaplan and use qbanks throughout your classes?
  33. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    Well it wouldn't matter if you were 38 or even 50.

It takes a lot of persistence and courage to do what you've done. I think, the fact that you are not a run-of-the-mill traditional med, student makes what you have done all the more praise worthy. It's quite easy to get into med school, when you have little responsibilites or distractions on hand. I personally don't know if I would be able to be as motivated.

Well, meet you on the other side. lol :)
  34. Phloston

Phloston SDN Lifetime Donor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Man, I wish you finished Rx. I've been trying to gain a better idea of final cumulative % correlating with an actual Step score.

On the other hand, I find it interesting that you'd stop doing Rx for that reason. I've completed >80% of the QBank so far, and although there's obviously a lot of unique information that's not in FA, I've only encountered a few actual syndromes/diseases that I had never heard of before (e.g. tropical spastic paraparesis, Gerstmann syndrome, Liddle syndrome, hypokalaemic periodic paralysis [the ones I can think of offhand]). I'm actually not here to debate Rx, but I'm just surprised if you didn't find it helpful, that's all. However, I'm glad to see you've taken the question approach to score augmentation. I do really hope that you've done well!

Honestly, these diseases are in a LIST in FA. Unlike a lot of the abstruse 4-step questions out there, these are actually as straight-forward as they come, and anyone would be blessed to get questions on these.

In contrast, I agree that this would be the babysitter's worst nightmare.
  35. rashy

rashy

SDN 2+ Year Member
    257/88

Was gunning for 265+, but still good enough to keep me in the game ;)
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  36. Phloston

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Solid score.

However, cutting to the chase now that you've had a few weeks to digest the exam: what could you have done better, particularly with respect to FA or the QBanks? Were there any particular questions that come to mind that held you up?
  37. metallica81788

metallica81788 Keeper of the Llamaworm Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I started Rx in January when our semester started and I'll be finishing it about 3 weeks before my dedicated Step time starts. We were taking Pharm the entire semester, though, so I still haven't even gone over everything Pharm even once yet.

I guess I just read all this stuff and feel like my school does it wrong by not giving us enough dedicated Step time (max of 6 weeks really) when some schools have up to 3 or 4 months.
  38. chet

chet

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Maybe this will make you feel better, I have 16 days between my last final and my test. That's after 6 straight days of finals, so that basically cuts an entire week out of my studying. As far as I've heard, there is not a school out there with a worse schedule than that.
  39. jatt12

jatt12

Medical Student
    My friend took exam yesterday, his experience is similar to yours. Congrats on good score:thumbup:
  40. djquickfingers

djquickfingers Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    OWNED!!

strong work!:thumbup:
  41. maxxor

maxxor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I think it really depends on how much time you have to study. I thought the books were great overviews and would read them when we started a new block, using the organ systems book to know what parts of class to pay particular attention to. Our blocks are Neuro, Derm, Ortho, Rheum, Pulm, Cardio, Heme, Renal, Endo/Repro, GI. I think the trend on this board seems to be "study for usmle in a confined block of time around 30-45 days in total"; if that is your strategy, then the FA OS and BS books will not be a good part of that strategy. They simply take too long to read.

For me, it was much easier to read organ systems along with classes than FA2012 was. I mostly used FA2012 as a summative review book during the months of Feb and March. There are errors, but I bought the updated ones (2nd editions) and used the errata as necessary. The funny thing for me, is that as I'm reading a book, it's like my mind fills in the errors, because later when I find an error, I'm always so surprised I never noticed it.
  42. DoctwoB

DoctwoB

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats on the great score. If you don't mind me asking, when did you take the test (to see if score reporting is running on time/late).
  43. mmmcdowe

Resident [Any Field]
    I was bummed that I DIDN'T get any. I even drew out the little diagram in FA complete with enzyme names at the start of my test.
  44. rashy

rashy

SDN 2+ Year Member
    @ Phloston: Actually I was pretty satisfied with my preparation. The only thing I think I could have done better is allowing enough time to quickly repeat all of the stuff because it goes much faster the second time, i.e. if you have studied for 2 months and gone through FA once, don't say in the last 2 weeks "Ok I'm going through FA 5 more times", but rather try to quickly review ALL of the things you've had a look at and just go through FA once. Because although everything is mentioned in FA, you will have studied everything prior to your revision and so, when you have another look at a review book you will be able to integrate and understand MUCH more than when you went through it the first time.

@DocTwoB: No it's running on schedule. Good luck!
  45. Phloston

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That helps a lot. Thanks. And once again, congrats on your outcome.
  46. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    Yeah that does suck. I'm sure you went through Kaplan for pharm. Lippincotts is great too, but I wouldn't use it as a review. My school did a horrible job with pharm, so it's pretty much a self study area for me.
  47. Lioness12

Lioness12

Medical Student
    Yikes! I don't understand why that's the case though. Maybe you should talk to someone about how ridiculous that schedule is.
  48. gravitywave

gravitywave fourth year

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No LCME programs have that long, do they? Three months sounds like offshore.
  49. FML

FML Seriously

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Definitely. The only way to study for 3-4 months is (A) you're an IMG or (B) you're an AMG but the first 2-3 months you're only studying like 1-2 hours per day along with your classes.

I think the AMG dedicated study period tends to be around 4-6 weeks on average.
  50. Leon22

Leon22

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

my situation is similar with yours. how do you prepare for board? preparing along year 2?