Official 2013-2014 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I m interested in GI fellowship... Can anyone please let me know how to submit abstracts to digestive disease week or any other conference that might help with fellowship application.?

I m interested in GI fellowship... Can anyone please let me know how to submit abstracts to digestive disease week or any other conference that might help with fellowship application.?

1. Do research for a fellow who wants someone else to do the work for his/her research requirement.
2. Submit to ACG cause those bastards will take anything
3. Profit (no question marks cause this one is so obvious).

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone encountered a problem with the EFDO. i couldn't get my token cause the system has some problems and won't be running until next week !!!

Gastrapathy..... thank you for your reply... Can you please you elaborate on what exactly you mean by profit???

From the ERAS login page:

"The EFDO has identified the problem and have a solution in place; however, it is going to take a bit longer to clean up the data and reset our systems. Therefore, we will remain closed for the remainder of this week and will re-open on Monday, June 24, 2013 at 12:00n ET. We regret this delay; but feel it is necessary to assure a positive experience for our users. Thanks in advance for your continued patience."

Now if only programs delayed their processing and interview schedules by a week, I wouldn't complain. We now have only 21 days to complete our apps and ensure our letters of recommendation, transcripts, MSPE, etc are in place before programs start downloading apps.

How about ERAS waive their application fees on the first 10 programs for us as a token of apology for the inconvenience and stress they've just added to our lives?

From the ERAS login page:

"The EFDO has identified the problem and have a solution in place; however, it is going to take a bit longer to clean up the data and reset our systems. Therefore, we will remain closed for the remainder of this week and will re-open on Monday, June 24, 2013 at 12:00n ET. We regret this delay; but feel it is necessary to assure a positive experience for our users. Thanks in advance for your continued patience."

Now if only programs delayed their processing and interview schedules by a week, I wouldn't complain. We now have only 21 days to complete our apps and ensure our letters of recommendation, transcripts, MSPE, etc are in place before programs start downloading apps.

How about ERAS waive their application fees on the first 10 programs for us as a token of apology for the inconvenience and stress they've just added to our lives?

Seriously? Getting your app ready should take about 2 hours at the most. The delay is annoying and could have been avoided. But there is no way it will have any impact on your app. Pull your knickers out of your crack and go have a drink.

I had the same problem with token, but they gave me my new token. Does anyone know if number of total positions are increased since last year? By how much?

I had the same problem with token, but they gave me my new token. Does anyone know if number of total positions are increased since last year? By how much?
I think they increased the total spots from 399 in 2012 positions to 433 in 2013 positions, I'm not sure about this coming match positions. If you trend the number of positions in the past years, you will notice a steady increase in the number of positions every year, so I would assume the number of positions this year would be around 450 if I'm not mistaken.
Have you guys noticed that the number of applicants this year is lower? I have searched around in few programs where I know some residents and the number of applicants is either 1 or none from each of them.

I have a question,
how can you enter research that is currently in progress into ERAS?

Any one has problems with EFDO docs upload
Some how transcript and MSPE PDF format does not get upload eventhough its size is 590KB

How much do gastroenterologists make as starting salary in mid west and in NYC?

How much do gastroenterologists make as starting salary in mid west and in NYC?

Dude...stop asking the same question over and over. It's been answered already. Perhaps not to your complete satisfaction, but there are publicly available data on this to which others have already pointed you. True, the numbers in that particular survey are median, but it gives a good idea (subtract 25-40% for starting, add 25-40% for the top end).

Members don't see this ad :)
What would the NRMP number be on the application? Is it the USMLE number or the AAMC number?

Does any body has Idea about GI fellowship total position this year?
How may was last year and how many were total applicant?

Milktuth,
Uploading documents in ERAS has been a nightmare so far for me as well...I had a question too...once LoR writer has uploaded the letter, how long will it take for you to be ready to apply to programs???? One of my LoR writer has uploaded the letter about 5 days ago....still not showing up.

Does any body has Idea about GI fellowship total position this year?
How may was last year and how many were total applicant?

Last year there were 695 applicants for 433 positions. 418 spots filled, but assuming they all did following the scramble, that's a "match" rate of 62.3%.

Does anyone have idea how scramble works for Fellowships? We should start making list of programs that don't participate in ERAS and December application cycle programs.....

You really should ignore the basic science spots unless that's you.

The GI Match remains unstable. Google collapse of gastroenterology match for some fun historical background. There was no match for a long time, just a 6 month scramble.

Thanks,

Quick question: I have my ERAS application ready except 2 LoRs..they will be available next week or so...is it a good idea to wait for it to be uploaded and apply with full application or should I go ahead and apply right now with 2 LoRs to be tagged later....Do programs download application based on "Day applied" (like first july applicants are first and so on...). Please let me know how this works....

Thank you and hope all forum members matches this year given an increasing lucrative hospitalist opportunities....

Good luck all.

First time applying. FMG,Green card holder 4 publication ( 2 published and 2 in peer review all first author) currently involved in 3 different research projects at 2 different big name hospitals. USMLE step 1 and 2 above 240s. Finished residency from a mid- tier university program.
What are my chances? Gutonc ?

MR Pancreas, your chances are excellent.
How many programs are you applying?

MR Pancreas, your chances are excellent.
How many programs are you applying?

Thanks for the encouraging words, no less than 60 programs. How about you klatskin ? Will you be applying this year?

applying this year, don't have strong research and publication background, have decent scores, will be applying to around 80 progs, waiting for LORs to be uploaded

Hi friends,

I just joined this forum. All set to apply, just confused about the number of programs that I should apply to.

Anyways, good luck to all. Let's hope for the best :)

applying this year, don't have strong research and publication background, have decent scores, will be applying to around 80 progs, waiting for LORs to be uploaded

We are in same boat..stay in touch

Thanks,

Quick question: I have my ERAS application ready except 2 LoRs..they will be available next week or so...is it a good idea to wait for it to be uploaded and apply with full application or should I go ahead and apply right now with 2 LoRs to be tagged later....Do programs download application based on "Day applied" (like first july applicants are first and so on...). Please let me know how this works....

Thank you and hope all forum members matches this year given an increasing lucrative hospitalist opportunities....

Good luck all.

I am in this same boat. I have only two letters uploaded which includes my PD and my research mentor. Should I wait until the other two to be uploaded or should I just submit this weekend? Thanks!

How may applicants could it be this year and how many Gi fellowship position this year?

No idea about number of applicants..but looking at forum activity, it hasn't been significant enough as compare to last year...maybe applicants are not interested in forum etc??

No idea about number of applicants..but looking at forum activity, it hasn't been significant enough as compare to last year...maybe applicants are not interested in forum etc??

Other forums look more active than ours. Pulm/CCM and heme/onc particularly. maybe less applicants this year, this means better chance for us:)

GI cannot have less applicants...just guessing..given fading interests in Cards these days. Maybe because of no "official application activity" yet for GI forum???

Last years Statistics for GI fellowship was this:
Last year there were 695 applicants for 433 positions. 418 spots filled, but assuming they all did following the scramble, that's a "match" rate of 62.3%.

Doe sany one has Idea or assumption what it will be this year?

Long time follower, first time poster. I just wanted to echo one of the prior questions that has remained unanswered. If you don't have all of your LOR's uploaded, should you still submit? Does anyone have any experience with how the program works in terms of going back and applying LORs, i.e. if have 4 finalized LORs, but only 2 submitted and I submit to 80 programs, do I then have to return to each program and apply the other two letters? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Also, in the experiences section, I know this is always a vague questions but is there an unwritten limit/minimum for this and how far back have most of you gone in terms of listing prior volunteer/work experience?

Long time follower, first time poster. I just wanted to echo one of the prior questions that has remained unanswered. If you don't have all of your LOR's uploaded, should you still submit? Does anyone have any experience with how the program works in terms of going back and applying LORs, i.e. if have 4 finalized LORs, but only 2 submitted and I submit to 80 programs, do I then have to return to each program and apply the other two letters? Thanks for the help.

I went through the process last year and although I had all my letters ready on July 15th, the way the system works is you click on each program and within that program's page, you check all the materials you want to send to them. This is so that you can send different letters to different programs (ie one of your writers is an alumnus of the program) or you can not send your MSPE if the program doesn't require it. If you only have 2 LORs and will upload 2 more, then you would have to individually go to each program and add in your additional letters later.

Most programs that don't have July 15th concrete deadlines will go in multiple times and download applications. If they download your incomplete application on July 15th and you add 2 LORs on July 22nd, then when they download again after this date your 2 LORs will come through and they will add them to your application.

If it were me, as long as my LORs weren't coming in way too late (within a week or two of July 15th), I would just wait to submit my until my application was complete as opposed to adding items in piecemeal. This is just my opinion, but you can certainly do it any way you'd like.

BT

Thanks for the reply BT, much appreciated.

Thanks for your input Biliary Tree.
Some programs started downloading. Still awaiting 2 LoRs.....:-(

How does it look this year interms of pool of applicant comapre to Cardio Vs Gi vs Hem Onc

So I was also a bit nervous about some of these "hard" deadlines for July 15. I talked to my PD at my home institution and called up a few of the programs (i.e. Northwestern in chicago) asking about the hard deadline and they were actually pretty reassuring. Really it seems we really have until August 1st to have all the letters in. That said, I still submitted today with my 2 LORs and am waiting for the other two to upload. Another $2K investment in myself (just add it to my tab govt loans) :) Here goes nothing...

If we take 3 spots per institution in general...usually 1 or 2 will go to internal candidates.....in reality we all are taking our chances in application (30-40% of total number of positions are actually 100% for IMGs like us and we have to play our cards with may be 150-200 total positions). Unlike Cards, GI is very slow in adding new positions or opening new programs.

Last edited:
Hi friends, I am an IMG, Green card, PhD prior to starting residency, Univ program, about 50 publications, applying to about 35 programs. Wondering if anyone got any interviews yet and if now when does one usually begin to get interviews? Replies appreciated.

Based on last year's thread, invites started going out the last week of July or so.

Guys,
Anyone applying to " Vidant Medical Center Program" in NC?? Are they accepting applications for positions starting 7/2014? Thanks in advance.

Hi. I am not sure. I did apply to them but they did not download my application

Hi. I am not sure. I did apply to them but they did not download my application

Thank you for your reply...will you let me know if they download your application? Thanks and good luck for your search this year.

Digest.

Other than certain programs sending requests for supplemental app and emails about choosing one track clinical vs research instead of both its been very quiet.

have they started sending any ivs yet for GI? I know ID has already started

have they started sending any ivs yet for GI? I know ID has already started

according to last year IVs started 2 weeks after programs started downloading. I imagine it will be the same this year, but with the delays you never know.

Thanks Enteroid. I wonder why this forum is so inactive. how many progs have you applied.. have they started retrieving. less than half of mine have downloaded my application so far

About 2/3 of my total applied programs so far downloaded. Agree with this years inactive forum. People, start sharing credentials/interview invites/rejects.

IMG
PGY3
3 Publications, 2 first author, 1 poster
Community program (uni affiliated), from southwest.
No need for visa
Good LoRs
Applied to 45 programs.
No need for Visa.

After reviewing other prople's credentials..I feel that do not even stand close to be competitive. Keeping fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.