Official 2013-2014 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apsth679

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
here we go...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you be applying for the 2013-2014 Heme/Onc Fellowship application cycle, jdh71? You'll do great - knock 'em cold.

OP needs to pay attention to the sub-forums. They are clearly marked.

And I've had enough training for one lifetime. Besides I've gotten used to the tactic of selling reality rather than hope - it's a job liability. Almost everyone, when then finally go, will die on my and my homie's watch.

Hi Forum seniors. I am an IMG and applying for Hem/Onc this year. I know no one can really tell one's chances of getting into fellowship but i would like to get forum seniors advice about my chances of securing a fellowship and particularly what kind of programs should i aim for?

My credentials.
Very Decent USMLE scores.
IMG and on J-1 visa.
Residency from a good university affiliated community program.
Chief resident position in an outside institute.
Away hem/onc rotation at top notch program with very good LOR.
Several posters presented at regional and national level. (14-16)
2 case reports, one first author and one second author.
Co-author in 2 research papers.
1st author in 5 research papers.

I will appreciate any input. Also please advise me what kind of programs should i go for. Do i stand any chance of securing a spot at mid to high tier program?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Forum seniors. I am an IMG and applying for Hem/Onc this year. I know no one can really tell one's chances of getting into fellowship but i would like to get forum seniors advice about my chances of securing a fellowship and particularly what kind of programs should i aim for?

My credentials.
Very Decent USMLE scores.
IMG and on J-1 visa.
Residency from a good university affiliated community program.
Chief resident position in an outside institute.
Away hem/onc rotation at top notch program with very good LOR.
Several posters presented at regional and national level. (14-16)
2 case reports, one first author and one second author.
Co-author in 2 research papers.
1st author in 5 research papers.

I will appreciate any input. Also please advise me what kind of programs should i go for. Do i stand any chance of securing a spot at mid to high tier program?

Thanks

Lajja - i think you'll have no problem getting accepted with your background.

Does anyone knows any Hem/Onc fellowship IMG friendly programs? Will my US citizenship increases my chances? Thanks!!

Thank you very much qv3755 for the words of encouragement. Every year match we see so many stellar candidates that nothing seems to be enough. I am just looking for mid to high tier academic program, Hence asking for senior's opinion. And I think being a citizen is going to be a big help for you.

Thanks again

Thank you very much qv3755 for the words of encouragement. Every year match we see so many stellar candidates that nothing seems to be enough. I am just looking for mid to high tier academic program, Hence asking for senior's opinion. And I think being a citizen is going to be a big help for you.

Thanks again

did you apply last year or did you just take a year off to be a chief resident? I can only hope that i will get in somewhere.. anywhere.. I heard that Hem/Onc is more competitive than GI now and only second to Card.

No, this is the first time i am applying. And i agree, it is getting more and more competitive to get into hem/onc. I hope everyone of us get matched.

Lajja - i think you'll have no problem getting accepted with your background.

Does anyone knows any Hem/Onc fellowship IMG friendly programs? Will my US citizenship increases my chances? Thanks!!

US citizenship will definitely help, no question about that. However, many programs will still consider you without citizenship, especially if you have an interest/background in research.

One program I wanted to highlight is NIH/NCI. Their website states they only take US citizens/permanent residents, but many of the interviewees and a few of the current trainees were non-US citizens. If you have a strong research background as an IMG, I would think you would stand a good chance of being accepted here.

UPenn was also interviewing a couple of IMGs on the day when I was there.

Members don't see this ad :)
US citizenship will definitely help, no question about that. However, many programs will still consider you without citizenship, especially if you have an interest/background in research.

One program I wanted to highlight is NIH/NCI. Their website states they only take US citizens/permanent residents, but many of the interviewees and a few of the current trainees were non-US citizens. If you have a strong research background as an IMG, I would think you would stand a good chance of being accepted here.

UPenn was also interviewing a couple of IMGs on the day when I was there.

Thanks, Alemtuzumab!! There are lots of applicants with excellent research background. I can only hope that I will get interviews at those top-notch places since I do not have any publication to show for my few projects (except for one poster). I'm thinking of applying to about 75 programs. Do you think that's too little? I heard that CA or the whole entire West Coast are not IMG friendly.. meaning that IMGs would have a hard time of getting interviews there. Is that true?

No, this is the first time i am applying. And i agree, it is getting more and more competitive to get into hem/onc. I hope everyone of us get matched.

I hope so, too, Lajja. Based on Alemtuzumab experience, you will have no problem landing at the top 3 of your choices.

Thanks, Alemtuzumab!! There are lots of applicants with excellent research background. I can only hope that I will get interviews at those top-notch places since I do not have any publication to show for my few projects (except for one poster). I'm thinking of applying to about 75 programs. Do you think that's too little? I heard that CA or the whole entire West Coast are not IMG friendly.. meaning that IMGs would have a hard time of getting interviews there. Is that true?

Lack of publications will mean that you are not seen as a star, but the majority of applicants will not have publications either. I see no harm in applying broadly, you can always narrow the list down once you know what interviews you have been offered.

As for the West Coast (and elsewhere), I think your citizenship status (rather than whether you are an IMG) will make a difference. As has been noted elsewhere, this is primarily because the research years of many top fellowship programs are funded via NIH training grants, for which you will not be eligible unless you are a US citizen or permanent resident. If you have a green card, where you graduated from really ceases to be an issue, and you are evaluated on the basis of your CV and accomplishments and interview performance just like AMGs. I believe Stanford and UCSF will not interview non-permanent residents/citizens. Other programs may be similar.

My understanding is that many top-tier East Coast programs are more likely to entertain applicants who need visas. If getting into a top-tier fellowship program is really important to you, you could try applying broadly this year, and if you don't make much headway, consider working as a hospitalist until you get a green card, and the reapplying.

I am an IMG (but do not need a visa), applied to 15 programs, was invited to interview at all, went to 10 interviews, ranked 5 programs and matched at no.1. At no stage in the application/interview process did I feel like I was being treated differently because I was an IMG. The fellowship process is different from applying for residency. Programs want the best candidates that they can train (ie. not people they cannot fund due to NIH restrictions), regardless of where they went to medical school. If you did well during residency, you will have proven that you are as good clinically as any AMG. Your research and other background now become more important.

Lack of publications will mean that you are not seen as a star, but the majority of applicants will not have publications either. I see no harm in applying broadly, you can always narrow the list down once you know what interviews you have been offered.

As for the West Coast (and elsewhere), I think your citizenship status (rather than whether you are an IMG) will make a difference. As has been noted elsewhere, this is primarily because the research years of many top fellowship programs are funded via NIH training grants, for which you will not be eligible unless you are a US citizen or permanent resident. If you have a green card, where you graduated from really ceases to be an issue, and you are evaluated on the basis of your CV and accomplishments and interview performance just like AMGs. I believe Stanford and UCSF will not interview non-permanent residents/citizens. Other programs may be similar.

My understanding is that many top-tier East Coast programs are more likely to entertain applicants who need visas. If getting into a top-tier fellowship program is really important to you, you could try applying broadly this year, and if you don't make much headway, consider working as a hospitalist until you get a green card, and the reapplying.

I am an IMG (but do not need a visa), applied to 15 programs, was invited to interview at all, went to 10 interviews, ranked 5 programs and matched at no.1. At no stage in the application/interview process did I feel like I was being treated differently because I was an IMG. The fellowship process is different from applying for residency. Programs want the best candidates that they can train (ie. not people they cannot fund due to NIH restrictions), regardless of where they went to medical school. If you did well during residency, you will have proven that you are as good clinically as any AMG. Your research and other background now become more important.

thanks for your info. i feel much better already since i'm a naturalized US citizen. i will probably apply to at least 75 programs since I do not want work as a hospitalist and reapply. Lets hope that I will have at least 10 interviews.

Has anyone looked into trying a Heme-Onc /Cardiology couples match for fellowship? Does it make more sense to go through the formal couples match or try to match geographically close with independent ROLs. Would getting married prior to the match help at all (we were planning after the match)?

...any thoughts?? I'm just trying to figure this out. :)

Hi all,

Really appreciate everyone's inputs as I've been following this forum for a while. I'm going to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle. Perhaps those who have done this before could comment regarding the impacts of specifying certain interests in the P.S. If a program is not strong in BMT and I say, "I'm interested in BMT", would they "toss" away my apps? Should I just be vague in my interests, i.e.: strong well rounded clinical program with opportunities to do research..etc..

Thanks so much :)

I have the same question as 72668. Any senior member has any advice on this topic? do we have to write one statement for each program catering toward its strength? how much of a negative impact, if i have a special research interest (eg. BMT), would it has on me if I want to apply to a program that might not has anyone specializing in that field. If it's a community University affiliate program, would it hurts me? Thanks!! Gutonc - do you have any comments?

If you're applying to a program that makes you do your BMT rotation as an away because they don't do BMT there (and there quite a few of them), putting "I want to be a transplanter" in your PS is kind of dumb. Likewise, declaring a love for and dedication to a tumor type that has no research or clinical mentorship available at a particular program (like if you were applying to my program and said you were looking for strong mentoring in medical neuro-oncology), it shows you haven't done the bare minimum of homework and your app will likely get overlooked.

But there's a very simple solution to this...multiple personal statements. Once you've got a basic one, it should take no more than 5 or 10 minutes to add or subtract relevant or irrelevant information from it. I applied to 10 programs and sent 5 different personal statements. Total additional time required to do so? About half an hour. Just make sure you name them something that will remind you which is which.

As a side note, in my experience, roughly 50% of new fellows say they really want to do transplant. Once they do a month of it as a first year though, that number generally drops to around 0.5%.

anyone here from previous application cycles can confirm the maxinum number of letters of recomendation that can be uploaded on ERAS? Is it 4? If MSPE, letter from Program Director, and letter from Chairman of Internal Medicine Dept are required, then we are left with only 1 from a Hem/Onc faculty. What if I have more than 1 letter from prominent Hem/Onc faculties that I know will help with my overall application, how can I get around this barrier? especially after I waived my right to review them... do i have to ask some of my LOR authors to send them directly to the Hem/Onc fellowship program coordinators?

Any help from anyone here will be great appreciated. I know many of us first time Hem/Onc fellowship applicants will have the same questions. Thanks!!

anyone here from previous application cycles can confirm the maxinum number of letters of recomendation that can be uploaded on ERAS? Is it 4? If MSPE, letter from Program Director, and letter from Chairman of Internal Medicine Dept are required, then we are left with only 1 from a Hem/Onc faculty. What if I have more than 1 letter from prominent Hem/Onc faculties that I know will help with my overall application, how can I get around this barrier? especially after I waived my right to review them... do i have to ask some of my LOR authors to send them directly to the Hem/Onc fellowship program coordinators?

Any help from anyone here will be great appreciated. I know many of us first time Hem/Onc fellowship applicants will have the same questions. Thanks!!

MSPE doesn't count. PD letter is the only one you really need in that list. A Chair's letter is not required for fellowship apps (at least, it wasn't when I did it and I've not seen very many of them in reviewing apps as a member of the fellowship committee). The rest can be a mix of IM and Hem/Onc letters. If you have significant research (like with multiple publications or presentations at national meetings), you should also have your research mentor write one.

But no, you can't upload more than 4 to any one program. You can have 100 of them in ERAS if you like, but no more than 4/program.

what do you mean MSPE doesn't count? I suppose OSU does not require a dean's letter? I've seen some programs on their websites stated that MSPE/Dean's Letter is required. Being an IMG from another country where the Dean cannot upload the letter directly, I will have to upload the letter to ERAS myself. Is the required MSPE/Dean's letter is in addition to the 4 maximum LORs?

Some program coordinators had recommended that I send those extra letter to them directly. I just don't know how to do that especially when I waived my right to see them. I doubt the people who write my letter will have the time to send to 50+ programs. If you have two really good letters that you have to choose: one from the Chair of the Internal Medicine Dept (world expert in Rheumatology), or one from an off-site elective (NCI/NIH) who's also becoming a world expert in his/her own right in BMT/immunotherapy - who would you choose to upload?

what do you mean MSPE doesn't count? I suppose OSU does not require a dean's letter? I've seen some programs on their websites stated that MSPE/Dean's Letter is required. Being an IMG from another country where the Dean cannot upload the letter directly, I will have to upload the letter to ERAS myself. Is the required MSPE/Dean's letter is in addition to the 4 maximum LORs?

I just meant that there's a slot for the MSPE and there's a slot for 4 LORs. Different parts of the app.

And I have no idea what Ohio State does...never been there.

Anyone here can provide me with a list of Hem/Onc programs with BMT/immunotherapy? If a Hem/Onc program is associated with a transplant center on this website (http://marrow.org/Patient/Transplan...ransplant_Center/U_S__Transplant_Centers.aspx), does it mean that it might have some BMT faculties there? I couldn't find this information on most of the Hem/Onc fellowship program websites. Is there a better way of doing my due diligence before applying here? Thanks!

Anyone here can provide me with a list of Hem/Onc programs with BMT/immunotherapy? If a Hem/Onc program is associated with a transplant center on this website (http://marrow.org/Patient/Transplan...ransplant_Center/U_S__Transplant_Centers.aspx), does it mean that it might have some BMT faculties there? I couldn't find this information on most of the Hem/Onc fellowship program websites. Is there a better way of doing my due diligence before applying here? Thanks!

If they do transplants, they're going to have transplanters on the faculty. How else would they do the transplants? But just because they do transplants, doesn't mean they have a fellowship program.

Anyway, that's a list for patients looking for places to get transplants. You should probably look at the ASBMT's list of BMT training programs instead. (Pro tip...possibly the slowest website in existence.)

Edit: BTW...the list they provide is pretty weak sauce.

Last edited:
it sure is very very slow. do you have a transplant program at OHSU? how do you like the weather out there?

it sure is very very slow. do you have a transplant program at OHSU? how do you like the weather out there?

Yes.

It's currently the exact same weather here as in San Diego. Ask me in November when it's been raining for 37 straight days.

FWIW, we've accepted 1 IMG in the past 10 or so years ... and based on that person's performance, aren't likely to do so again anytime soon.

Yes.

It's currently the exact same weather here as in San Diego. Ask me in November when it's been raining for 37 straight days.

FWIW, we've accepted 1 IMG in the past 10 or so years ... and based on that person's performance, aren't likely to do so again anytime soon.

bummer.. i suppose OHSU is very much like most programs in California.

Any idea how hard it is to get fellowship on H1B. Meaning statistically how many get it?:scared:

getting accepted with H1B visa is getting much harder than it used to be.. I believe there are only a handful of programs that accept H1B visa.

how would you rank NIH/NCI vs the top 10 programs in the country in term of job employment in the academia right after fellowship training? what about private hospital?

Is there a site you recommend to look up programs strengths by area of interest?

I am looking for well rounded programs.

Thanks

Last edited:
how did you come up with this number? would you happen to have the number for IMG/US citizen (non-Carribbean school) for Hem/Onc fellowship? how does it stack up against US AMG? thanks, Gutonc!!

I have a LOR question...My heme/onc rotations are in the beginning of my 2nd year (August and September of this fall). I will be applying for the 2015 cycle. Should I request my LORs at the end of those rotations and just let them know I will send the Eras LOR form in June or request letters later in the year? I wish ERAS would let us print out the LOR request form early...

I have a LOR question...My heme/onc rotations are in the beginning of my 2nd year (August and September of this fall). I will be applying for the 2015 cycle. Should I request my LORs at the end of those rotations and just let them know I will send the Eras LOR form in June or request letters later in the year? I wish ERAS would let us print out the LOR request form early...

Yes you should request your LORs at the end of the rotation and tell them you will remind them closer to ERAS season and send them your CV, etc.

You also want to ask if they are willing to write a "strong letter" to give them an out if they don't feel comfortable giving you a glowing recommendation.

Would also suggest asking for a formal evaluation (either written or electronic, in addition to verbal feedback) so that they will have a reference to go by after a year. When the time comes, you can send your PS, CV, their evaluation along with updates to make sure you get the strongest letter.

Would also suggest asking for a formal evaluation (either written or electronic, in addition to verbal feedback) so that they will have a reference to go by after a year. When the time comes, you can send your PS, CV, their evaluation along with updates to make sure you get the strongest letter.

FTR, if your program doesn't do this already, they're in violation of ACGME rules so it should be relatively easy to obtain. It will also be part of the PD's letter (as a summary of all your clinical ability).

And definitely agree with asking at the end of the rotation. Check with your PC and see if s/he will hold onto the letter if they want to do it then and there.

Any good read? also, should i stay away from bench research since it takes too long and only stick with clinical research? any current and/or ex-fellows would like to share your experiences?

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomessms2011.pdf

New outcomes from last years match. Gives a lot of nice data on the variation of NNT (or rank) to match for USMD, IMG, FMG, DOs.

Any thoughts? Quite an exciting time.

Why more and more applicants are applying for Hem/Onc fellowship? What's drawing residents from Cards and GI to Hem/Onc? is it b/c of the lifestyle or is it b/c they think that it is less competitive than Cards and GI? Either ways, Hem/Onc fellowship is becoming just as competitive if not more competitive than Cards/GI in the recent years.

Anyone here who matched recently can provide any tips on strategy on how to be successful in this year match?

So it appears that ERAS is not going to change their timeline. Should it open next Monday, we only have 3 weeks to get everything in and apply before programs start downloading our apps. I want my $90 back :naughty:

why does it take 2 weeks to process LORs especially when they're submitted through the LOR portal? what do they need to verify?

This forum is so quiet this year compares to last. Anyone wanna guess on the competitiveness level of the applicant pool for this subspecialty this year? will Hem/Onc overtake Cards and GI as the most competitive subspecialty? less people want to do Card at my program this year and yet the number that want to do Hem/Onc is more than tripple from last year. Isn't that crazy or what? I hope this is not the same everywhere.