Official 2013-2014 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an IV today from a top 10 program from the west coast - obviously am not their first choice..but I will love to match there! I am wondering (like I did in residency)....should I just rank according to my dreams or...should I rank places that are more realistic above those which may be too exalted for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Got an IV today from a top 10 program from the west coast - obviously am not their first choice..but I will love to match there! I am wondering (like I did in residency)....should I just rank according to my dreams or...should I rank places that are more realistic above those which may be too exalted for me?

If you don't know the answer to this question, you're beyond our help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any opinions regarding university of Oklahoma ,Emory and Arkansas? Thank u!!

Should we report violations during interviews to NRMP like asking where exactly l interviewed?

Should we report violations during interviews to NRMP like asking where exactly l interviewed?

What is the point? :confused: Many faculty of different programs know each other and can find out if they want. Unless they had a gun to my head and asked, I wouldn't go that far! :)

I can't understand what is funny in that? Are enjoying answering where are you interviewing and where are you ranking certain programs in your list? If something is considered to be a violation by a certain law then probably it was made so because it is gonna have a harmful effect on others and that's why it shouldn't be done! If you think violating rules is something funny then you are so pathetic!!

I know Gutonc's program ranked everyone except one person last year. I wonder what's the actual realistic number of applicants who get ranked after their interviews.. Is it like 75%?

I think most programs rank most people they interview as Gutonc had mentioned. Only total flaming liars or weirdos get weeded out.

I know Gutonc's program ranked everyone except one person last year. I wonder what's the actual realistic number of applicants who get ranked after their interviews.. Is it like 75%?

I think most programs rank most people they interview as Gutonc had mentioned. Only total flaming liars or weirdos get weeded out.

The vast majority of interviewed applicants get ranked...true of pretty much every program. There's really nothing to lose from their standpoint. Most programs only interview people who (on paper at least), they think would be good to have.

As has been mentioned in multiple threads by myself, aPD and ProgCoord among others, you really have to screw up in the interview to not get ranked and the number is probably on the order of 5-10% at the most that don't get ranked.

FTR, we didn't rank 2 last year (rank list in the 35-40 range for 3 spots, don't remember exactly). One for lying about a criminal record and the other because every single current fellow went to the PD after that interview saying they'd quit if that person matched...it didn't help that none of the faculty who interviewed him liked him either.

Members don't see this ad :)
The vast majority of interviewed applicants get ranked...true of pretty much every program. There's really nothing to lose from their standpoint. Most programs only interview people who (on paper at least), they think would be good to have.

As has been mentioned in multiple threads by myself, aPD and ProgCoord among others, you really have to screw up in the interview to not get ranked and the number is probably on the order of 5-10% at the most that don't get ranked.

FTR, we didn't rank 2 last year (rank list in the 35-40 range for 3 spots, don't remember exactly). One for lying about a criminal record and the other because every single current fellow went to the PD after that interview saying they'd quit if that person matched...it didn't help that none of the faculty who interviewed him liked him either.
Thanks. this is what I thought too.. it's just funny to see how some of the interviewer used that "I will definitely rank you" and then checked the rank spot.. perhaps, they were just using it as a sale pitch?? anyways, it's always good to hear that from people though. :)

Thanks. this is what I thought too.. it's just funny to see how some of the interviewer used that "I will definitely rank you" and then checked the rank spot.. perhaps, they were just using it as a sale pitch?? anyways, it's always good to hear that from people though. :)

"I will definitely rank you" means "we have a list of X people and you will be on it, somewhere". That's useless information but it makes applicants feel better and gets you to leave our office so...win/win.

Anyone received any unsolicited "love letters" from programs yet? I havent!

Haha... Like in match.com?? Lol
No love letters here either.. I still behind in the thank you notes..

Anyone received any unsolicited "love letters" from programs yet? I havent!

I got one but prolly was a generic email. Couple of programs asked us not to send thank you emails or letters. Not all programs may want to contact you or be contacted by you after the interview.

I got one but prolly was a generic email. Couple of programs asked us not to send thank you emails or letters. Not all programs may want to contact you or be contacted by you after the interview.
i'm curious on the tone of the "love" letter. what's considered generic and what's a personal love letter?? I got a few letters after I sent out my thank you emails but I can't really tell if they were really "love" letters. Anyone from previous years has any samples?

As applicants we are so desperate to hear any word from programs and we might consider any kind of communication as a positive feedback! for example I know someone who is an IMG. One program sent him an email to make sure that he will be only on J1 and not H1 since they started ranking, and he was so excited about that email!! Another friend of mine, she got a generic email from a program asking to make sure that applicants should make sure that they are registered in NRMP since they started ranking, and also she was so excited about that email!!

My opinion is that a what so called "lover letter" should specifically mention that a certain program was very happy to interview with you and they are going to rank you high enough to match in their program!! Other kinds of communications including generic replies to thank you letters would be just so generic, and probably was sent to all other candidates.

I hope that everyone matches in their top choice program, and this whole application story comes to a happy ending soon!

So I may have missed this but are people doing an interview impressions thread this year? As someone who would like to limit my $$$ next year I would find it helpful in looking at some of the programs I am on the fence about.

Hi all, I’ve been following this thread for sometime but this is my first time posting. I have completed all my interviews and wanted some advice on my rank order list for my top 4 programs. I am ranking Baylor Houston as my top choice and am confused how to rank the following three after that: Boston University, George Washington, and Drexel. I liked the atmosphere at all three (BU, GW, and Drexel) equally for different reasons and am just trying to get some advice on which of these three are the stronger programs. Gutonc and anyone else, can you please advise on the strength of these three programs comparatively? I would greatly appreciate any insight/advice.

Can anybody explain why there is discrepancy in the number of positions between Frieda and NRMP? I understand that some programs gives prematches but there there is also some programs that has more available positions in NRMP than in Freida! For example Ohio state university has 9 available positions in NRMP while it says 6 positions in Freida! On the other side Baylor has 5 positions in NRMP while it says 9 in Frieda!

NRMP is the actual match so I would trust that. Freida is rarely updated anyways.

Can anybody explain why there is discrepancy in the number of positions between Frieda and NRMP? I understand that some programs gives prematches but there there is also some programs that has more available positions in NRMP than in Freida! For example Ohio state university has 9 available positions in NRMP while it says 6 positions in Freida! On the other side Baylor has 5 positions in NRMP while it says 9 in Frieda!

Pre-matches, funding, they interviewed you already and decided to drop the # of spots to make sure you don't match...the possibilities are endless.

NRMP is all that matters.

Also...it doesn't matter. Are you going to not rank a program because they only have 1 spot available? Rank a different place higher because they have 6 spots? If so, you need to review the way the Match algorithm works.

As a Hem/Onc Coordinator privy to the deliberations of our faculty over the ROL I want to pitch my two cents in here:

*My PD will respond to any thank you letter received and respond positively regardless of whether you will be ranked high or low. My PD and faculty also do not discuss ranking with applicants, it's officially frowned upon so it's a matter of professionalism not to ask nor offer.

*If they are interested in you coming to their program the PD or other faculty may reach out unsolicited to you via a phone call or email, this is a very good indication that they are in fact interested in you and you will be ranked.

*We don't rank all candidates, there's usually a batch of people for one reason or another that get put on the Do Not Rank list. It usually has more to do with personality than anything else.

*Applicants invited to interview are generally on par with each other at least on paper so it becomes a matter of determining whether the person would be a good fit for the program.

*If you were invited to interview there's a reason you were invited, PDs (or at least my PD) will invite anyone who meets our basic criteria; good LORs, good USMLE scores (and we DO look at the step 3 scores) and a good personal statement.

*Research experience is very important, especially if you are looking for a scholarly track.

*Visas matter, H1Bs are very expensive for programs to support, programs are taking an expensive risk when they support an H1B. J1s are better but keep in mind that only Permanent Residents and Citizens can be placed on a training grant so research funding is tighter for any visa holder.

I think I hit most of the big questions I saw floating through this thread..

Oh, PS: Updating Frieda is a mess so when in doubt refer to the NRMP as that's the only one that matters.

As applicants we are so desperate to hear any word from programs and we might consider any kind of communication as a positive feedback! for example I know someone who is an IMG. One program sent him an email to make sure that he will be only on J1 and not H1 since they started ranking, and he was so excited about that email!! Another friend of mine, she got a generic email from a program asking to make sure that applicants should make sure that they are registered in NRMP since they started ranking, and also she was so excited about that email!!

Thanks for the comments Echo!

Generally how far down a match list is a comfortable or usual zone for programs? 50% down the list?

Thanks for the comments Echo!

Generally how far down a match list is a comfortable or usual zone for programs? 50% down the list?
Not sure there's a comfortable point for any program, and it definitely varies. I know that my program has gone everywhere from 7 (when matching 4) to the last spot on the list (when matching 3) in the past 6 years. Roughly halfway down is reasonable for most places but you know MDACC, Hopkins, Etc will get all pissy if they have to go down more than 2x their # of spots.

Hi all,
I didn't get much feedback from my last post so I'm being annoying and posting again, sorry about that :)...just because I'm very conflicted between ranking two programs that I interviewed with. Could anyone give advice on which program they think is stronger between George Washington University and Boston University? I liked the atmosphere and interviews at both equally and just am wondering which program is stronger since I am very confused on how to rank them. I would really appreciate any insight/advice/comments.

Hi all,
I didn't get much feedback from my last post so I'm being annoying and posting again, sorry about that :)...just because I'm very conflicted between ranking two programs that I interviewed with. Could anyone give advice on which program they think is stronger between George Washington University and Boston University? I liked the atmosphere and interviews at both equally and just am wondering which program is stronger since I am very confused on how to rank them. I would really appreciate any insight/advice/comments.

BU

Now that we are drawing to a close on iv season, anyone want to share their ROL?

Hi,
any idea between Uni Cincinnati, Mayo @ Jacksonville and Einstein, NY? Interested in malignant heme.
thnx

hello gutonc or anyone else. Could you please help me with this.
Is it always better to train at a university program than a community program affiliated to a university even if the University program has only 2 spots compared to the community program that has 4!?
Eg: Rush is a university program that has only 2 spots!

Hi. Now that I have finished interviews, I was hoping for suggestions on my list. I am interested in solid tumors. Thanks.
wash u
upmc
utsw
indiana
uab
dartmouth
tufts
rjnj
brown

Hello everyone, I am new on the forum though I have frequented it as a guest in the past. I know its odd but I'm still kinda undifferentiated-still 50/50 between solids and heme malig, interested in academics and clinical research. Any input re: my ROL would be appreciated. Thanks
1. Wash U
2. Yale
3. UAB
4. UW
5. TJUH
6. UIC
7. U of Iowa
8. Boston U

Does this ROL sound crazy to anyone in any way? Interested in heme, clinical research.

Penn
UPMC
Vanderbilt
Wash U
Mayo
CCF
Fox Chase
Emory
Indiana Univ
NY Montefiore
MDACC (just not the best feeling)
Case Western
Roswell Park

Hi. Now that I have finished interviews, I was hoping for suggestions on my list. I am interested in solid tumors. Thanks.
wash u
upmc
utsw
indiana
uab
dartmouth
tufts
rjnj
brown

I like that list pretty much the way it is. I'd personally move things around a bit, but that's strictly for my own geographic/research preferences which don't matter to you.

Hello everyone, I am new on the forum though I have frequented it as a guest in the past. I know its odd but I'm still kinda undifferentiated-still 50/50 between solids and heme malig, interested in academics and clinical research. Any input re: my ROL would be appreciated. Thanks
1. Wash U
2. Yale
3. UAB
4. UW
5. TJUH
6. UIC
7. U of Iowa
8. Boston U
Is that UW Madison or Seattle? If the former, I like your list as is. If the latter it should be in your Top 2.

Does this ROL sound crazy to anyone in any way? Interested in heme, clinical research.

Penn
UPMC
Vanderbilt
Wash U
Mayo
CCF
Fox Chase
Emory
Indiana Univ
NY Montefiore
MDACC (just not the best feeling)
Case Western
Roswell Park

No...doesn't seem crazy. I'd put Fox Chase a little higher and CCF a little lower, but given your list, you don't seem likely to go down that far anyway.

I'll play, would enjoy feedback about my list, plan to do GU oncology.

Sloan
Yale
Cleveland Clinic
Hopkins
UNC
Duke
Pitt
Fox Chase
Jefferson

No...doesn't seem crazy. I'd put Fox Chase a little higher and CCF a little lower, but given your list, you don't seem likely to go down that far anyway.
What is the general opinion on Fox Chase these days? Sinking ship? Are any name faculty still remaining?

What is the general opinion on Fox Chase these days? Sinking ship? Are any name faculty still remaining?
I didn't have the privilege to go to fox chase for an interview. However, I still consider Fox Chase as one of the top 10 programs in the country.

Please help with my top 2 as I'm still undecided after attending all of my interviews. NCI/NIH vs. Fred Hutchinson?

How to rank these 5s: Karmanos vs. Tufts vs. Tulane vs. UVA vs. MUSC
Sorry, Roswell isn't on this list b/c I thought it was weird how they conducted their interview.

I'll play, would enjoy feedback about my list, plan to do GU oncology.

Sloan
Yale
Cleveland Clinic
Hopkins
UNC
Duke
Pitt
Fox Chase
Jefferson
MSKCC at the top is a no brainer for GU Onc. I'd put Hopkins next and drop CCF below Pitt then leave it as you have it. But it's your list and it's not crazy as it is.