Official 2013-2014 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would appreciate input on this….

cleveland clinic vs. fox chase vs. emory vs. utah vs. mayo jack?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input, RW is BU affiliated program with 2 fellows yearly.
May I have your opinion about University of Maryland program? I did not see many comments here about this program.

Move Brown to somewhere in the 3-5 range (and put Downstate last) and I like it.
Thank you for your input, RW is BU affiliated program with 2 fellows yearly.
May I have your opinion about University of Maryland program? I did not see many comments here about this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an IMG on green card. Not decided about the solid vs malignant vs benign heme. Highly appreciate the help with ROL.

1) Univ of Rochester
2) Univ of Maryland
4) Tufts
4) Univ of Vermont
5) SUNY upstate
6) Drexel

Thanks for input!

I'm an IMG on green card. Not decided about the solid vs malignant vs benign heme. Highly appreciate the help with ROL.

1) Univ of Rochester
2) Univ of Maryland
4) Tufts
4) Univ of Vermont
5) SUNY upstate
6) Drexel

Thanks for input!
Not bad the way it is.

I'll play:

Why is Mayo Jacksonville in this conversation?

The other 3 are probably in the same range depending on location/research interests.

Would appreciate input on this….

cleveland clinic vs. fox chase vs. emory vs. utah vs. mayo jack?

I'll play:

Why is Mayo Jacksonville in this conversation?

The other 3 are probably in the same range depending on location/research interests.

1. Ccf
2. Emory
3. Fccc
4. Utah
5. Mayo jack

I think mayo jack is an underrated program. It has connection with real mayo, has some top notch people, and of course better weather. Lab research prob weaker but def has lot of upside.

Hi neuroswap,

I like your list as well. Upstate versus Vermont is a question I would consider swapping.

What were your thoughts on the Maryland program?

1) Univ of Rochester
2) Univ of Maryland
4) Tufts
4) Univ of Vermont
5) SUNY upstate
6) Drexel

Thanks for input!

Last edited:
Hi all , is everyone asking their PD to call /email their no. 1 choice or top two choices and is theire a possibility of this backfiring?

also for malignant heme ohsu vs UCSD; am confused about ranking these two. Gutonc? Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all , is everyone asking their PD to call /email their no. 1 choice or top two choices and is theire a possibility of this backfiring?
can anyone explain to me why or how this could backfire? I asked my PD to send email/call to my top 5. Should I not do this? I also emailed my top 2s telling them they're top 2 b/c I couldn't quite make up my mind on who to rank first. Will any of this backfire and hurt my chances of matching with them? I wanted to be honest and didn't want to tell every program that they're my number one choice although I know quite a few people who're doing this..

I like it more or less as is.

Re: GW/Drexel - Choose based on Philly vs DC
And put Downstate at the bottom.

Thanks so much Gutonc! I had one more question, in your opinion, where should Howard DC go on this rank order list? I put it below SUNY but not sure what the order should be?

(from top to bottom)
Baylor houston
BU
GW
Drexel
Uconn
Louisiana State University
SUNY downstate
Howard DC

Thanks so much Gutonc! I had one more question, in your opinion, where should Howard DC go on this rank order list? I put it below SUNY but not sure what the order should be?

(from top to bottom)
Baylor houston
BU
GW
Drexel
Uconn
Louisiana State University
SUNY downstate
Howard DC
It's fine where it is. I don't know much about it.

need help for ROL. looking for strong clinical training and interested in clinical research opportunities to possibly go into academics, with PP not out of the question.

Prefer NJ/NY area, but am willing to move for right program. want to do malignant heme , but not set in stone

ROL so far :
Mount Sinai
Cornell
RWJ
NYU
Georgetown
Monte
NS-LIJ
MSKCC
Loyola
Brown
Moffitt
Scripps
Drexel
UConn
Washington Hospital Center
Cooper

thoughts?

Did you really dislike MSKCC? Below NSLIJ and Montefiore is insane even if you want liquids. Given that you are not sure, I would certainly move MSK up to AT LEAST around Georgetown

need help for ROL. looking for strong clinical training and interested in clinical research opportunities to possibly go into academics, with PP not out of the question.

Prefer NJ/NY area, but am willing to move for right program. want to do malignant heme , but not set in stone

ROL so far :
Mount Sinai
Cornell
RWJ
NYU
Georgetown
Monte
NS-LIJ
MSKCC
Loyola
Brown
Moffitt
Scripps
Drexel
UConn
Washington Hospital Center
Cooper

thoughts?

Please Gutonc can you help me with my list.
Interested in good clinical training.

GW
Downstate
U of Cincinnati
U of Oklahoma

Hi guys! First of all I want to wish you all good luck with match day approaching, hopefully we all get into any of our top 2 programs!. I need help with my ROL... I'm more interested in solid oncology and strong clinical formation. All comments/inputs (especially for order 2-6) are greatly appreciated:
1. UTSW
2. UAB
3. Tufts
4. Jeff
5. UMiami
6. Washington Cancer Ctr
7. BU
8. Cooper
9. Maimonides Cancer Ctr.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Hi guys! First of all I want to wish you all good luck with match day approaching, hopefully we all get into any of our top 2 programs!. I need help with my ROL... I'm more interested in solid oncology and strong clinical formation. All comments/inputs (especially for order 2-6) are greatly appreciated:
1. UTSW
2. UAB
3. Tufts
4. Jeff
5. UMiami
6. Washington Cancer Ctr
7. BU
8. Cooper

I like your list the way it is.

Did you really dislike MSKCC? Below NSLIJ and Montefiore is insane even if you want liquids. Given that you are not sure, I would certainly move MSK up to AT LEAST around Georgetown

Just felt as if I wouldn't get adequately trained all around--I am not looking to be a slave to research for the rest of my life. When the fellows were describing their phone calls they got overnight from clinic patients, they almost always call the attending, even for some of the smaller issues. I just wasn't sure if that also meant the fellows aren't as comfortable with clinical care because they're so focused on research. The whole emphasis on single boarding vs double boarding and how it was a pivotal decision of first year also didn't appeal to me. Just didn't think it was the right 'fit'.

Besides for that, does the rest of the list look crazy, keeping in mind some preference to tri-state area? Other opionions? gutonc?

1. UTSW
2. UAB
3. Tufts
4. Jeff
5. UMiami
6. Washington Cancer Ctr
7. BU
8. Cooper

I think Cooper should be last and flip TJ & Miami.

Hi all,
I need help with my rank order list. I am an IMG on J1 visa. Want to stay in academics, interested in overall good clinical training as well as clinical research. Some inclination towards malignant hem, but still undecided. Don't have any location preference.

This is how I have ranked them currently:

MD Anderson
Vanderbilt
Fox Chase
Indiana
Baylor Houston
Wayne State
UT southwestern
UAB
U of Arizona
Henry Ford
AE Montefiore

I especially need help with indiana vs baylor vs wayne state vs UT southwestern vs UAB.
Would greatly appreciate your input.

Hi everyone! and hope we all match! I am IMG on Green Card..would like some input in my Ranking List! Thank you tons!
Cleveland Clinic
University Hospital Case western
Emory
Iowa
Cincinatti
west virginia university (morgantown)
GRU (Medical college Georgia)
ECU (East Carolina)
Utah
Henry Ford
PennState (hershey)
MSU (East Lansing)
Univ Oklahoma
Univ Arkansas
Univ Louisville
Univ Toledo (med oncol)
ETSU (Med Oncol)

Hi everyone! and hope we all match! I am IMG on Green Card..would like some input in my Ranking List! Thank you tons!
Cleveland Clinic
University Hospital Case western
Emory
Iowa
Cincinatti
west virginia university (morgantown)
GRU (Medical college Georgia)
ECU (East Carolina)
Utah
Henry Ford
PennState (hershey)
MSU (East Lansing)
Univ Oklahoma
Univ Arkansas
Univ Louisville
Univ Toledo (med oncol)
ETSU (Med Oncol)
It would be helpful if you told us what your interests are. But I will say that having Utah that low on your list is just dumb.

Thank yo
It would be helpful if you told us what your interests are. But I will say that having Utah that low on your list is just dumb.

Thank u GutOnc..interested in solids (GU/Lung)...Utah is good, the city is a bit problematic for me..but will consider to place higher ..thanks again

Last edited:
Thank yo

Thank u GutOnc..interested in solids (GU/Lung)...Utah is good, the city is a bit problematic for me..but will consider to place higher ..thanks again
Dude...you put Cleveland at the top of your list and you're complaining about SLC? For reals? It's basically the best city on your entire list. It's also (along with Emory and Iowa) one of the Top 3 programs on your list.

Hello everyone, I have been following this since the beginning of the season. I really like it. Please help me with my rank list.
UPMC
VCU
UT San Antonio
West Virginia
UF Shand
UCI
Tulane
Rutgers NJ
Allegheny
Orlando
ECU

How would you organize the following programs? I'm considering:

Penn
Farber
MSKCC
Hopkins

Any thoughts? interests include clinical/translational work in solid tumor onc.
NYC seems like a daunting city to live in however.

Hello everyone, I have been following this since the beginning of the season. I really like it. Please help me with my rank list.
UPMC
VCU
UT San Antonio
West Virginia
UF Shand
UCI
Tulane
Rutgers NJ
Allegheny
Orlando
ECU
tumblr_loybrhZVdy1qjj1qpo1_250.gif

Help us help you. What do you want out of a fellowship?

How would you organize the following programs? I'm considering:

Penn
Farber
MSKCC
Hopkins

Any thoughts? interests include clinical/translational work in solid tumor onc.
NYC seems like a daunting city to live in however.
I don't think NYC is any more daunting to live in than Philly or Boston (never mind Bawlmer). You can't really go wrong with this list and you could easily just flip a bunch of coins but going strictly on program strength and career options I'd go:
MSKCC
Hopkins
Farber
Penn

One upside to MSK in the "living" category is their housing which is awesome. It may seem like it costs a s&$tload (and it does) but it's about half of what it costs to live in the same neighborhood at market rate. And, although I've pretty much burned through my "want to live in NYC" time (after 11 years there), I'd still rather be there than Boston or Philly.

tumblr_loybrhZVdy1qjj1qpo1_250.gif

Help us help you. What do you want out of a fellowship?
Hello
I want a well round program with both solid and liquid and opportunity for research. My goal is to be in the academic field with clinical and translation research. I would like the rank the program based on the strength.

Hello,
I know this is a dumb question and I do apologize for that. I have never been in Match system before because I got my residency through prematch. I have always heard the match is in the favor of applicant but my question is if I rank a program number 4 instead of 5, does my chances to get to that program declines or it is completely dependent on the program's rank and my rank will not change it.
I will appreciate your input.

I don't think NYC is any more daunting to live in than Philly or Boston (never mind Bawlmer). You can't really go wrong with this list and you could easily just flip a bunch of coins but going strictly on program strength and career options I'd go:
MSKCC
Hopkins
Farber
Penn

One upside to MSK in the "living" category is their housing which is awesome. It may seem like it costs a s&$tload (and it does) but it's about half of what it costs to live in the same neighborhood at market rate. And, although I've pretty much burned through my "want to live in NYC" time (after 11 years there), I'd still rather be there than Boston or Philly.

Thanks for the insight! MSKCC is pretty amazing. My whole family is voting nyc purely so they can come visit.

Five days to rank list due date!! Certified list like ten times already.

Hi everyone,
I am an IMG on J1 visa. Want to stay in academics, interested in overall good clinical training as well as clinical research. Some inclination towards malignant hem, but still undecided. Don't have any location preference.

I need help with the middle portion of my rank order list. This is how I have ranked them currently:

Indiana
Baylor Houston
Wayne State
UT southwestern
UAB
U of Arizona

I need valuable input (especially gutonc) if this order is appropriate..
Good luck to all of you with the Match!

Hi

Anyone have thoughts on ranking Pitt vs. Wash U? I thought I was going with Wash U but second guessing this. Interested in heme...

Thoughts on MSKCC vs Hopkins?

Also, has MSKCC or Hopkins reached out to anyone on this forum?

If anyone out there is familiar with Columbia's program - i'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Last minute confusion ; BIDMC vs Columbia for overall strength ; possibly malignant heme
also is it crazy to be influenced by location in general

Hi all,
How do you check the number of slots available for programs on the nrmp website?