Official 2013-2014 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:D based on some research I did, NW and OSU have 1 FMG(they are more of a wishful thinking for me), I called some of these programs and check their website, UPMC has around 20% FMG, Case Western I'm not sure.

Ah okay. Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to apply if they've at least taken 1 in the past and especially if you have dreams of getting into one of those places. It's not that expensive anyway. Just know though that at least for Northwestern, it's pretty hard even for US grads to get in. As for Pitt, I think they have multiple tracks at different places. I don't think Montefiore has any FMGs, but maybe you're thinking Shadyside. In any case, you'll probably have to post some stats/info for people to really guide you better. But as a general rule for FMGs, the barrier of entry is definitely higher if you're trying to get into an academic program.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah okay. Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to apply if they've at least taken 1 in the past and especially if you have dreams of getting into one of those places. It's not that expensive anyway. Just know though that at least for Northwestern, it's pretty hard even for US grads to get in. As for Pitt, I think they have multiple tracks at different places. I don't think Montefiore has any FMGs, but maybe you're thinking Shadyside. In any case, you'll probably have to post some stats/info for people to really guide you better. But as a general rule for FMGs, the barrier of entry is definitely higher if you're trying to get into an academic program.
Thanks for the reply :D
I did post my stat in my previous post, I'll repost it here :)
Step 1: 253
Step 2 CK/CS: 255/pass on CS
School: FMG
Year of Graduation : September 2011
Grades in Clerkships: Graduated 2nd in my class
US Clinical Experience: 2 months OBGYN externship and 1 month IM Externship (3 US LoR, 1 home country LoR)
Research: 1 oral presentation and 1 poster presentation, in the Netherlands though
EC: Tutoring and volunteering
oh and I need visa (another problem :-/)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 257
Step 2 CK/CS: Taking soon but will be late enough to decide whether to release
School: Top 20, in south
Class Rank: Probably somewhere in the middle given first two years, but could be bottom third :(
AOA: ha
Grades in Clerkships: have a H, HP, P system.

H in neuro, HP in Psych/family, P in medicine/peds/surg. Did Sub-I but do not have grade yet and will not be getting a letter from Sub-I (!) because I had two different attendings, neither of which got to know me well.

Research: No research. 2nd author on a case report poster presentation.

EC: nothing really, volunteering here or there, joined a committee

not likely but will still try: UTSW, Emory, Vandy, Northwestern
Some of these not likely either?

UPMC
OHSU
U Colorado
UNC
Boston
Tufts
USC
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UVA
UAB
Iowa
UK
UKMC
Ohio State
U of Cincinnati
Wake Forest
Jefferson (Philly)
VCU
Penn State
Cleveland clinic foundation
Mayo Clinic
University of Rochester
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane
Rush
Saint Louis Uni
UT Memphis
USF Tampa
UTMB

Appreciate your advice!

You are underestimating yourself, I presume because of P in medicine and less than stellar grades. While these don't help, Top 20 school and excellent Step 1 will take you a long way. I think you will land interviews at some of the upper tier places, i.e. UTSW, Emory, Vandy, NW, UAB, UVA, UNC.

Mayo, UPMC, OHSU, Colorado, Tulane, BU, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, (add MUSC) are all solid and I think you can match at these places fairly easily (assuming you interview like a normal person).

You can do better than the other places on the list that I didn't mention.

Thanks for the reply :D
I did post my stat in my previous post, I'll repost it here :)
Step 1: 253
Step 2 CK/CS: 255/pass on CS
School: FMG
Year of Graduation : September 2011
Grades in Clerkships: Graduated 2nd in my class
US Clinical Experience: 2 months OBGYN externship and 1 month IM Externship (3 US LoR, 1 home country LoR)
Research: 1 oral presentation and 1 poster presentation, in the Netherlands though
EC: Tutoring and volunteering
oh and I need visa (another problem :-/)

I'll add my opinion since typically not much feedback is offered to the IMGs here (note, this is all opinion and highly subjective). I think that you will do alright and can focus on applying to mostly low tier academic programs. Throw in a few mid-tier as well as a good amount of community programs to be safe. Of course, apply widely. In the greater scheme of things, it is fairly inexpensive and you should only be going through this process once. Your major limiting factors are your year of graduation and the fact that 2 years after graduation you only have three months of US experience, only one of which was IM. What you've done the rest of those two years will play a role in selection for an interview. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
sorry for repost but I got skipped...

4th year at allopathic well recognized school

Step 1: 223
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking soon
School: top 50
Class Rank: probably top 50
Grades in Clekship: HP in medicine, HP obgyn, H psych, Pass surgery, and Peds
AOA: no
Research: Co-authored a textbook chapter
- published abstract
- scholarship for summer research but no pubs
- trying to get another Rads proj going
EC: Founded an overseas pro bono surgery mission trip have been there 2x since med school, med school ambassador for HS students interested in med, paid scribe for class lectures, some other random things not sure how much this helps anyway

Would like to stay in NE but east coast is fine... cali schools would work but crazy competitive I know. Would love to go to a higher than mid-tier program like Jefferson, Gtown, Brown, Monte...

Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Montefiore
Albert Einstein
St. Lukes
NYU
Brown
Yale
Boston U
GW
Georgetown
UVA
Pittsburgh
Duke
UF
UC Irvine

Is it a Balanced list? Not really sure where else... will apply to around 60-70 progs bc double applying with rads.

IMG don't need a visa
YOG 2010
225/237/Pass/207
2 months of university electives with 2 great LOR's
1 publication in Journal of Diabetes (not first author)
1 first author abstract to be presented at a Transfusion Conference
2 really great LOR's from Mount Sinai (one from my PI and another Professor of Medicine)
1 first author publication to be submitted in August to Transfusion; wont be published by September 15

Id love to stay here in New York city, but I also like DC too is George Washington or Georgetown hard to get into? Could use your advice!

You are underestimating yourself, I presume because of P in medicine and less than stellar grades. While these don't help, Top 20 school and excellent Step 1 will take you a long way. I think you will land interviews at some of the upper tier places, i.e. UTSW, Emory, Vandy, NW, UAB, UVA, UNC.

Mayo, UPMC, OHSU, Colorado, Tulane, BU, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, (add MUSC) are all solid and I think you can match at these places fairly easily (assuming you interview like a normal person).

You can do better than the other places on the list that I didn't mention.

You presume correctly. This made me feel a lot more hopeful, thank you!! Anyone else's views appreciated too.

FMG here. Want to get into IM at a top tier or middle tier university program or CCF/Mayo.
I understand that my aspirations might be a little unrealistic, hence would appreciate any feedback.

FMG, India.
YOG 2011
262/266/pass
6 mo USCE (2 mo electives/3 mo externships (hands on USCE after graduation)/ 1 mo observership)
National research fellowships during medical school
10 pubs (mostly first author, clinical research; national & international journals) + multiple poster/oral presentations & abstracts (in national & US meetings)
After graduation: worked 1 year in primary care with non-profit working in under-served areas + ~10 mo in critical care.
Need visa.

Last edited:
Step 1: 213
Comlex 1: I bombed it, my computer shut off and I completely freaked out - 466
Step 2 CK/CS: june 21 / passed
School: Osteopathic
Class Rank: not sure yet, I get it in July but my GPA: 3.82
Grades in Clerkship: Honors in Medicine, Surgery, FM, Pediatrics, OBGyn, Psych
AOA: in the DO version called SSP
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: lots of volunteer and leadership through student government, scholarships.

I'm applying both DO and MD

OH: Metrohealth, CCF, Summa Akron, Akron gen, UH Case (reach i know!), south pointe, Summa cuyhoga, riverside columbus, doctors columbus, St johns medical center - west shore
IL: lutheran, st james, UIC, north shore, loyola, christ, masonic, rush, swedish
FL: UF jacksonville, UF gainesville, mt sinai
GA: emory (reach i know!)
LA: Oschner
NC: carolinas
CT: uconn
PA: lehigh valley, st lukes, harrisburgh, AGH, YORK

i am doing a sub - I at metro and away rotation at lutheran and trying to get a sub - I at summa akron.

For the sake of my sanity can I update this with my step 2= 214. Comlex step 2 = still pending but probably low 500 with my standardized test taking skills.

4th year at allopathic

Step 1: 229
Step 2 CK/ CS: 263
School: Top 25 research, top 15 primary care
Class Rank: top 40%
Grades in first year: Pass
Grades in second year: GPA 3.3
Grades in third year: GPA 3.9; freaking surgery clerkship...
Research:
- 3 second author publications in peer-revuewed journal from undergrad + 1 abstract and presentation at undergraduate conference
- NIH fellowship in summer of first year; 1 abstract and 1 presentation at a national conference (surgery)
- HHMI year-long after second year. 1 abstract, 1 presentation at a national conference, 1 first author paper in a peer-reviewed journal.
- other misc research related activities with my fellowships.

EC:
- Volunteering at nearby student-run clinic

I was devastated after my second year GPA and the resulting Step1 score. I feel like I have screwed up royally. I had to change things drastically and it worked. It might be too late to fix things though...

I am wondering about higher mid-tier to top programs on the east coast? I am originally from Boston. I am also really interested in Mayo in Rochester, but do I even have a chance or am I just dreaming? What do people think about Mayo's other satellite programs, and my chances there?

Thank you for your help.

Step 1: 231
Step 2 CK/ CS: 248
School: solid med school
Class Rank: top 1/2
Grades in Clekship: 1 pass in Peds, 1 honor in family, the rest are high pass, including medicine
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 research experience in college/1 case report/volunteer experiences in free clinic
Overview of where you want to end up: UWash, UCLA, UCSD, UC-Davis,UCI, Cedars,Scripps,OHSC

4th year at allopathic

Step 1: 229
Step 2 CK/ CS: 263
School: Top 25 research, top 15 primary care
Class Rank: top 40%
Grades in first year: Pass
Grades in second year: GPA 3.3
Grades in third year: GPA 3.9; freaking surgery clerkship...
Research:
- 3 second author publications in peer-revuewed journal from undergrad + 1 abstract and presentation at undergraduate conference
- NIH fellowship in summer of first year; 1 abstract and 1 presentation at a national conference (surgery)
- HHMI year-long after second year. 1 abstract, 1 presentation at a national conference, 1 first author paper in a peer-reviewed journal.
- other misc research related activities with my fellowships.

EC:
- Volunteering at nearby student-run clinic

I was devastated after my second year GPA and the resulting Step1 score. I feel like I have screwed up royally. I had to change things drastically and it worked. It might be too late to fix things though...

I am wondering about higher mid-tier to top programs on the east coast? I am originally from Boston. I am also really interested in Mayo in Rochester, but do I even have a chance or am I just dreaming? What do people think about Mayo's other satellite programs, and my chances there?

Thank you for your help.

Mayo likes the step 2, so . . . while I think they generally have a step 1 "cut off" around 235, maybe that CK makes up for that. Mayo's other programs are honestly not probably worth your time.

You've got fine enough stats to make it in somewhere out east in your area - BU, Tufts, Umass. Make sure you check out Brown.

You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 231
Step 2 CK/ CS: 248
School: solid med school
Class Rank: top 1/2
Grades in Clekship: 1 pass in Peds, 1 honor in family, the rest are high pass, including medicine
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 research experience in college/1 case report/volunteer experiences in free clinic
Overview of where you want to end up: UWash, UCLA, UCSD, UC-Davis,UCI, Cedars,Scripps,OHSC

UW and UCLA, probably not
UCSD, probably not
UCD, UCI, Cedars, and Scripps good chances if you're from California
Oregon, maybe

For the sake of my sanity can I update this with my step 2= 214. Comlex step 2 = still pending but probably low 500 with my standardized test taking skills.

I forgot to ask my question..am i better off, worse or status quo?

Step 1: 243
Step 2: N/A
School: middle tier
Class rank: top 1/4?
Clerkships: Honors in 4 core clerkships including medicine, waiting for evaluations from the others
AOA: probably not
Research/publications/extracurriculars: lots of research in undergrad without publications, a little volunteer work, one case report in progress, and tutoring

What would be my chances of getting into rush, loyola, U of MN, Wisconsin, U of IN, U of MI, OHSU, UC Denver, U pitt, UCLA, or UCSD ?

Thanks for your help!

Step 1: 243
Step 2: N/A
School: middle tier
Class rank: top 1/4?
Clerkships: Honors in 4 core clerkships including medicine, waiting for evaluations from the others
AOA: probably not
Research/publications/extracurriculars: lots of research in undergrad without publications, a little volunteer work, one case report in progress, and tutoring

What would be my chances of getting into rush, loyola, U of MN, Wisconsin, U of IN, U of MI, OHSU, UC Denver, U pitt, UCLA, or UCSD ?

Thanks for your help!

UCLA and UCSD are tough unless you are from California, so if you're from the golden state, I think yes.

Michigan . . . probably get an interview. They have a big intern class, but it's harder rto recruit to Ann Arbor these days.

I think you get the rest.

Step 1: 255
Step 2 CK/CS: Taking late/pass on CS
School: Top 50 in the northeast
Class Rank: Around top 1/4
AOA: unlikely? Not determined yet.
Grades in Clerkships: have a H, HP, P system. H in family, and IM sub-I as 4th yr. HP everything else including 3rd yr IM.
Research: Ongoing clinical research. 2 soft poster presentations at school. But should get a good LoR out of it.
EC: usual stuff, volunteering here or there, interest group leader, etc.

Very tentative programs: MGH, BWH, BID, BU, Tufts, Dartmouth, Brown, UVa, Vandy, Michigan, Washington, OHSU, UC Davis, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, USC, UC San Diego, Northwestern, UIC, U of Chicago, Duke, UNC, Gtown, NYU, Cornell/Columbia

Clearly looking at academic/coastal programs with some exceptions.

Danke

Anyone else have any thoughts on that list + Colorado, Wisconsin? Other programs to be looking at? Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I could really use your help in figuring out what may chances are for high-mid tier programs in NJ and NYC in NY. I would really like to stay close to family in Northern Jersey, I would prefer university programs like NJMS (as its close to fam), and possibly RWJ in NJ but might considers programs in NYC. I can be open to suggestion of community programs in Northern Jersey like St Joseph or Newark Beth Israel, as they are few mins away from my family.

Step 1: 230
Step 2 CK/CS: Pending
School: State school ranked lower 1/2
Year of Graduation : Current MS4
Class Ranking- likely low quarter of class
Grades in Clerkships: Med/surg/Psych (Pass), Peds/Obgyn/FM- high pass.
Research: one publication pending research
EC: Involved in few fundraisers and volunteering on a few occasions.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

I could really use your help in figuring out what may chances are for high-mid tier programs in NJ and NYC in NY. I would really like to stay close to family in Northern Jersey, I would prefer university programs like NJMS (as its close to fam), and possibly RWJ in NJ but might considers programs in NYC. I can be open to suggestion of community programs in Northern Jersey like St Joseph or Newark Beth Israel, as they are few mins away from my family.

Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine for Jersey academic programs.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that list + Colorado, Wisconsin? Other programs to be looking at? Thanks

With your strong Step 1 and decent grades, you should be a pretty safe shoe-in for Wisconsin and Colorado invites as long as your LORs are also good.

Without AOA and not that many H's, I would probably consider MGH, UCSF to be reaches. The better Chicago / Cali programs in general are also randomly competitive just because they're popular destinations.

I'd add Pitt (you should get invited and it's a good program), Wash U (prob 50/50), and Penn (reach) since you seem to be applying academic-heavy.

New account for anonymity:

Step 1: 250
Step 2 CK/ CS: in 1 wk - let's say similar to step 1
School: low-mid tier NY MD school
Class Rank: Worst case: 3rd quintile (out of 5); pre-clinical: P/HPs
Grades in Clerkship: HP/Hs; Medicine: HP
Letters: 1 or 2 should be solid, rest are "good".
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: undergrad research, summer of ms1 that resulted in a poster presentation, few review articles submitted but no pubs as of yet. Major EC is that I've been working (paid) throughout med school at a major NYC hospital - 12-16/hrs a week. Also doing a pilot learning to teach program at my school creating short HY vids for the new MS3s to bridge the 2nd and 3rd year.

Overview of where you want to end up:
Prefer NYC but want the best academic program I have a shot at nationwide. The HP in Medicine will hurt me and I'm having trouble scheduling my medicine SubI before September. I do however have an MICU in August and possible a SICU in Sept. Not sure if I can use these as replacements though.

I was initially considering another speciality but I'm currently doing my away right now and not really liking it as much as I thought I would.

Thank you Jdh, would appreciate anyone else's feedback as well with regards to NYC high/mid tier programs. Also, I am getting LORs together and would like your feedback on that as well. In addition, to the chairman letter, infectious disease IM, a pulm IM, and peds letter? What do you guys think? In case an IM letter doesn't work out I may be able to get one from SubI....many thanks

Once you actually get interviews/are through the door...how much do the hard stats matter at that point in order to be ranked?

Do they still occasionally say, "He/she was great, interviewed very well, is highly recommended but the Step scores/grades were lower than we can take."

New account for anonymity:

Step 1: 250
Step 2 CK/ CS: in 1 wk - let's say similar to step 1
School: low-mid tier NY MD school
Class Rank: Worst case: 3rd quintile (out of 5); pre-clinical: P/HPs
Grades in Clerkship: HP/Hs; Medicine: HP
Letters: 1 or 2 should be solid, rest are "good".
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: undergrad research, summer of ms1 that resulted in a poster presentation, few review articles submitted but no pubs as of yet. Major EC is that I've been working (paid) throughout med school at a major NYC hospital - 12-16/hrs a week. Also doing a pilot learning to teach program at my school creating short HY vids for the new MS3s to bridge the 2nd and 3rd year.

Overview of where you want to end up:
Prefer NYC but want the best academic program I have a shot at nationwide. The HP in Medicine will hurt me and I'm having trouble scheduling my medicine SubI before September. I do however have an MICU in August and possible a SICU in Sept. Not sure if I can use these as replacements though.

I was initially considering another speciality but I'm currently doing my away right now and not really liking it as much as I thought I would.

Being essentially in the bottom half of the class at a low ranked school will hurt the most. You'll likely get interviews at NYU and monte but not the others since they'll prefer your more highly-ranked classmates.

Thank you Jdh, would appreciate anyone else's feedback as well with regards to NYC high/mid tier programs. Also, I am getting LORs together and would like your feedback on that as well. In addition, to the chairman letter, infectious disease IM, a pulm IM, and peds letter? What do you guys think? In case an IM letter doesn't work out I may be able to get one from SubI....many thanks

Those stats won't get you far in NYC unfortunately. The best you can hope for would be NS-LIJ

Once you actually get interviews/are through the door...how much do the hard stats matter at that point in order to be ranked?

Do they still occasionally say, "He/she was great, interviewed very well, is highly recommended but the Step scores/grades were lower than we can take."

the interview doesn't matter all that much in the positive direction. It can hurt a lot though.

the interview doesn't matter all that much in the positive direction. It can hurt a lot though.

Interesting. So, the interview is just another way to screen out. Very different than what the PD surveys seem to say. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

Depends on where you interview. The higher he academic program rests on the totem pole, the less the interview matters too much per their rank list. On the other hand when you start dropping out of the idiotic world of academic snobbery, most programs start to give a couple of ****s about who they are taking because they will have to spend 3 years with you, and if you are really, really interested in a particular mid-teir spot that can go a long way. Mid-tier spots will rank you following interviews into generally thirds, and mostly based on how they liked you and think you will fit in, not based on your stats. I've been on those committees, so I know. We didn't give any rat ****s about your step scores then.

Interesting. So, the interview is just another way to screen out. Very different than what the PD surveys seem to say. Thanks for the insight.

skinMD is kind of full **** except for advice on how to get into a top 10 spot, which he is probably generally correct in many ways about

unless you are gunning, disregard much of what he says

skinMD is kind of full **** except for advice on how to get into a top 10 spot, which he is probably generally correct in many ways about

Haha, thanks jdh. I'm an IMG, and I'm aiming for community programs on the East Coast. I'm not picky, but would like to stay near family. I do have 3-4 IMG-heavy (low tier) programs in mind.

I want to stay in primary care, and be good at that, hoping I can get that done. Appreciate the input.

Last edited:

SkinMD is generally very negative. I think it's good that he disabuses some of us about delusions of getting into top programs, but he could be a bit more encouraging about the whole thing and tailor his responses to the kind of program an applicant is interested in.

I actually think the interview matters more than people think. I can only speak from my own personal experience, but one well-regarded program invited me super late (like in January) when there was basically only one day left with openings. Typically a bad prognostic sign. I was pretty sure that going would be a huge waste of money but since I thought the program was great and a good fit for me, I went anyway. My interviewer and I got along pretty well. Later, after match day, the same program sent me an email asking me why I hadn't ranked them higher because I apparently would have matched there had I ranked them #1.

Did I rocket to their to their top choice? Certainly not. But I was able to at least vault some people who probably got invited way before I did and I can only guess that it was because I did okay on my interview.

I actually think the interview matters more than people think. I can only speak from my own personal experience, but one well-regarded program invited me super late (like in January) when there was basically only one day left with openings. Typically a bad prognostic sign. I was pretty sure that going would be a huge waste of money but since I thought the program was great and a good fit for me, I went anyway. My interviewer and I got along pretty well. Later, after match day, the same program sent me an email asking me why I hadn't ranked them higher because I apparently would have matched there had I ranked them #1.

Did I rocket to their to their top choice? Certainly not. But I was able to at least vault some people who probably got invited way before I did and I can only guess that it was because I did okay on my interview.

So you just went beast mode at the interview, that's pretty awesome. I feel like this happens more for AMGs at legit programs. The IMG match experience tends to be a **** show. Completely one sided, where the IMG is practically begging to be ranked (regardless of stats) while the PDs are having there way with them with no mercy. It's not just the low-tier either, unfortunately. Some go as far as pimping the IMGs for 5-10 mins of straight medical questioning.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll let people get back to their stats and chances.

USMLE 1: 239
Comlex 1: 597
USMLE 2: Pending
COMLEX 2: Pending

School: DO program
Year of Graduation : 2014
Class Ranking- top third
Grades in Clerkships: Passed all shelf exams required for DO's
Research: Worked in clinical research 2 years prior to med school. No current publications.
EC: Led a student run organization during my second year and started my own tutoring services outside of medicine (High school and college math, physics, chem, bio)
Undergrad Education: Cornell University

Looking at:
Higher expectations: UNC, MUSC, Oregon, Wake Forest, Duke, BU, Dartmouth, Brown
Level expectations: St.Joes Ann Arbor, Carolinas med center, Greensville USC,

Last edited:

the poster asked about academic NYC programs so i gave advice about academic NYC programs. not sure why you have your panties in a bunch. you want to disagree with my advice go right ahead and give your own and people can weigh the two but you're just being unnecessarily nasty because you put too much value on your SDN reputation and can't take it when someone disagrees with you

SkinMD is generally very negative. I think it's good that he disabuses some of us about delusions of getting into top programs, but he could be a bit more encouraging about the whole thing and tailor his responses to the kind of program an applicant is interested in.

again, someone asked about NYC programs and I gave advice specifically about those programs

Class Ranking- top third
Research: Worked in clinical research 2 years prior to med school. No current publications.
EC: Led a student run organization during my second year and started my own tutoring services outside of medicine (High school and college math, physics, chem, bio)

Looking at:

you might want to look at the thread in one of the osteo boards about which programs are DO friendly. At least a couple on that list aren't.

the poster asked about academic NYC programs so i gave advice about academic NYC programs. not sure why you have your panties in a bunch. you want to disagree with my advice go right ahead and give your own and people can weigh the two but you're just being unnecessarily nasty because you put too much value on your SDN reputation and can't take it when someone disagrees with you.

Negative ghost rider. My panties aren't bunched, and I don't put "too much value" on my own infamaous SDN reputation, which is already long set in stone, regardless of any disagreements. Heh. I don't need any more "street cred". I have nothing to prove here. Hell, I left for three months, planning never to return and was asked so vey nicely by many people to return that here I am.

My issue with you: I take issue with the fact that you are so very often are flat out WRONG and giving BAD and STUPID advice to people who don't know any better, and I am horrified that there may be people who are taking you at all seriously.

My advice to you: post better.

That's it kid. You can put me on ignore, but I'll call you on your bull**** every time it comes up.

fdb.gif

Negative ghost rider. My panties aren't bunched, and I don't put "too much value" on my own infamaous SDN reputation, which is already long set in stone, regardless of any disagreements. Heh. I don't need any more "street cred". I have nothing to prove here. Hell, I left for three months, planning never to return and was asked so vey nicely by many people to return that here I am.

My issue with you: I take issue with the fact that you are so very often are flat out WRONG and giving BAD and STUPID advice to people who don't know any better, and I am horrified that there may be people who are taking you at all seriously.

My advice to you: post better.

That's it kid. You can put me on ignore, but I'll call you on your bull**** every time it comes up.

fdb.gif

again, you haven't actually pointed out anything i said that is supposedly "wrong".

also in case you haven't noticed i only respond to people who are applying to programs i'm familiar with because the only way you can really give out advice is from recent experience of being immersed in the process

anyway whatever ...not the first time i'm the "bad guy" on SDN nor is it gonna be the last. people can take my advice or not but i'd hate for someone to think that the competition is still the same as it was 3 to 7 years ago (when you and gutonc were applying)

You responded to my post but I never mentioned NYC...

Your reply to my post was the one jdh responded to, as well as mercapto.

well your question was a general one ....i will concede though that my advice is based on university programs in the northeast and may not apply to you. didn't realize you were an IMG who was casting a much wider net when i responded.

also to expound on the interview comment....it just seems from the match results of my classmates that everyone just ended up at a program based mostly on stats and those who have terrible personalities seemed to dip further into their rank list hence my observation that the interview likely doesn't help all that much but can hurt significantly. i could be wrong...who knows, but that's my observation.....again, take it or leave it but it's certainly a valid data point

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to make another one of these threads, but most similar ones I could find were from IMGs.

I'm interested in IM and psych. I'm currently in an MD program in NYC, and am really hoping to stay in NYC for residency. The issue is my Step 1 score -- 219. I've only had one rotation so far and don't have high hopes; extremely weak clinical experience, lots of procrastinating, and what felt like an absurdly difficult shelf does not make me terribly optimistic for the the result. I have yet to do my rotations in my fields of interest though.

P/F during first two years (no F's), so-so extracurriculars, and almost certain I'll be taking a year off after third year to do some research.

Any thoughts on my chances in NYC in general? How about placed like NYU...any chance at all?

TIA

FMG here. Want to get into IM at a top tier or middle tier university program or CCF/Mayo.
I understand that my aspirations might be a little unrealistic, hence would appreciate any feedback.

FMG, India.
YOG 2011
262/266/pass
6 mo USCE (2 mo electives/3 mo externships (hands on USCE after graduation)/ 1 mo observership)
National research fellowships during medical school
10 pubs (mostly first author, clinical research; national & international journals) + multiple poster/oral presentations & abstracts (in national & US meetings)
After graduation: worked 1 year in primary care with non-profit working in under-served areas + ~10 mo in critical care.
Need visa.

Any advice? Anybody? :(

I'm in a top 10 school (according to US world news report... I never really know what "top ten" truly means but I'm including that here in case you all find it relevant).
Step 1: 251
Grades:
Honors in IM, psych, and surg
HP: peds, FM
P: ob/gyn

A smattering of volunteer activities. Nothing big. A couple leadership roles for 2 years each. No publications/research.

I want to go to UT Southwestern specifically, so anyone who has a good idea about that program, please let me know. On a side note, I've heard the reputation that they are "malignant" aka overworked and under appreciated. I heard they had a new director and the hours are much more manageable. Thoughts? anything you've heard?

Class Ranking- top third

Looking at:

Skip BU, UNC, and Duke cause it's a waste of your money. Wake ad Dartmouth are definite possibilities. Not sure about Brown but maybe?

What else are you considering? You have skipped a bunch of reasonable university based programs in major cites (Chicago, Philly, DC). Seems odd to not include places like Temple, VCU, and UIC but have Carolinas on that list. (Not hating on their program, kinda liked it in fact)

Step 1: 246
Step 2 CK: 241 (somehow messed it up...)
School: Top 50
Class Rank: don't know
Letters: strong one by former Cardiology PD, 1 by current chief of Cardiology, one research letter by chief of Clinicial Pharmacology
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 Co-author papers, one 1st author currently under review, 2 poster/oral presentation at scientific meetings, 1 book chapter, 1 internet paper. Otherwise no strong extracurricular activities (little mentoring here and there)

Was aiming for good university programs but kind of afraid due to my poor Step 2CK

Vanderbilt, Emory, Alabama, Jefferson, Albert Einstein, Iowa, Mayo, (Rush), Tufts

What about MGH, Yale, Columbia, Duke etc.? Do I have any chances here?

Step 1: 223
Step 2 CK/ CS: 238
School: DO School
Class Rank: no rankings
Grades in Clekship: honored IM, Peds and OBGYN, passed the rest
AOA: neg
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 publication, 1 poster, researcch in undergrad
Overview of where you want to end up: university program

Last edited:
Step 1: 246
Step 2 CK: 241 (somehow messed it up...)
School: Top 50
Class Rank: don't know
Letters: strong one by former Cardiology PD, 1 by current chief of Cardiology, one research letter by chief of Clinicial Pharmacology
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 Co-author papers, one 1st author currently under review, 2 poster/oral presentation at scientific meetings, 1 book chapter, 1 internet paper. Otherwise no strong extracurricular activities (little mentoring here and there)

Was aiming for good university programs but kind of afraid due to my poor Step 2CK

Vanderbilt, Emory, Alabama, Jefferson, Albert Einstein, Iowa, Mayo, (Rush), Tufts

What about MGH, Yale, Columbia, Duke etc.? Do I have any chances here?

This is why I've given up on this thread this year.

Last edited:
Can someone please weigh in on how much a pre-med school misdemeanor will hurt? Fairly good application otherwise, 7/8 honors (including IM) in 3rd year from a med school ranked in the 20's, step 1/2 both 260+. No AOA, but still possible I guess. Nothing special extracurricularly and just the usual dabble in research. I'm more wondering how big of a net should I cast. Thanks for the advice.

With those stats I think a PD will perform a misdemeanor on you during your interview. :naughty:

Can someone please weigh in on how much a pre-med school misdemeanor will hurt? Fairly good application otherwise, 7/8 honors (including IM) in 3rd year from a med school ranked in the 20's, step 1/2 both 260+. No AOA, but still possible I guess. Nothing special extracurricularly and just the usual dabble in research. I'm more wondering how big of a net should I cast. Thanks for the advice.

Depends. What was the misdemeanor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.