Official 2013-2014 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's painful :/ My home program is mid-tier. Not many big names, but I'm well liked by the department and my LORs would make calls for me so that might be a good idea. I just don't know how far that will go.

Ok, so the bad news, we all know. The step one score. Whomp. Whomp.

Now the good news, looking back at the match data from 2011 (apparently the dicks are not going to run an analysis for 2012), people with your step one score range had a 95% match rate AND if you look at the 2012 PD survey, the rest of your application (assuming you do whatever explaining you think is necessary on your personal statement) looks great and you'll definitely find a match as long as you don't tell racist jokes or sexually harass anyone at the interview. But there is more, the WORST CASE SCENARIO, the nuclear option is that you match at home. So go into the season with that ace in the hole. Find out who is form where and will call from you and then send your application out. You never know who will bite and/or where you will really like it. You'll probably still get more invites that you'll be able to go see. You can always make jumps up the food chain with fellowship if it matters.

Members don't see this ad.

School: top 30
Step 1: 253
Step 2: 241
Clinical Grades: Internal Med (honors), Surgery (pass), HP for all the rest
AOA: no
Extracurriculars/Research/etc: dual degree program (MD/MPH); applied/was accepted to summer research program (IM-related) at another institution, which I got a basic science poster & presentation out of. 1 short publication in process of being submitted (2nd author)
LORs: one IM letter, one departmental letter, one letter from MPH advisor...do I need another clinical/IM letter? I'm lucky to have some great faculty members to write letters, but unfortunately they are peds/family med and not IM

Obviously I'll need to add some "mid-tier" schools to my list as well, but my short list so far includes places like UMich, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Stanford...am I in the right ballpark program-wise given my stats, and how seriously should I be considering some of the other top 10-15 programs?

I think I'd like to see another clinical letter if possible, but don't go chasing one down unless you think it will be a good letter.

As far as programs go . . . I think you're in the right ball park. Could be a little less predictable without the AOA. I think you should apply to all the top programs honestly. More than one, but not all, will bite I think. Send out 20-30 apps to the top places you like +/- three to five more safety spots (you don't have to interview at all of them)

US-IMG
med school: university of the west indies
step 1: 248
step 2 ck: 252
step 2 cs: pass 1st attempt
research: nil
USCE: nil
Graduated: 2 yrs ago
Graduated with honors in internal medicine (not an american school so does it count?)
I am 25 yrs old: do program directors look at age?
Currently working as a senior house officer for the public health authority of the Bahamas (been working in hospital since graduation of med school).

whats my chances of matching into a university program?
Are top schools such as Johns hopkins and the like out of my reach?
what about schools like emory?
i really like creighton university in nebraska... maybe there?
or should i apply to only community programs... really hoping to do cards after IM residency tho.
Program suggestions greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
US-IMG
Graduated with honors in internal medicine (not an american school so does it count?)
Currently working as a senior house officer for the public health authority of the Bahamas (been working in hospital since graduation of med school).

or should i apply to only community programs... really hoping to do cards after IM residency tho.

You have a shot at Creighton.

Definitely Creighton. I know several with lower scores than you who matched there in IM just last year, and required Visas.

US-IMG

Probably don't have a shot at Emory or Hopkins - if they take IMGs it tends to be not from Carib schools but rather from European schools which are more well known.

Crieghton you might have a shot at. There's many university programs which take IMGs which could set you up for a cards fellowship, but you will have to apply very broadly.

I've never heard of a PD looking at age as a criteria and 25 is probably on the younger side

So I know I posted before and my step 2 scores weren't back. But now they are and I'm panicking! I don't know what to do and what to make of my application. I
Don't know how to explain my boards. I do really well on rotations and I don't think I'm stupid! I just am a ****ty standardized test taker, but I don't think that's enough for an explanation. I'm at a lost and any help would be appreciated

Step 1: 213
Comlex 1: I bombed it, my computer shut off and I completely freaked out - 466
Step 2 CK:214
Comlex II 422
School: Osteopathic
Class Rank: 15/189
Grades in Clerkship: Honors in Medicine, Surgery, FM, Pediatrics, OBGyn, Psych
AOA: in the DO version called SSP
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: lots of volunteer and leadership through student government, scholarships.

I'm applying both DO and MD

OH: Metrohealth, CCF, Summa Akron, Akron gen, UH Case (reach i know!), south pointe, Summa cuyhoga, riverside columbus, doctors columbus, St johns medical center - west shore
IL: lutheran, st james, UIC, north shore, loyola, christ, masonic, rush, swedish
FL: UF jacksonville, UF gainesville, mt sinai
GA: emory (reach i know!)
LA: Oschner
NC: carolinas
CT: uconn
PA: lehigh valley, st lukes, harrisburgh, AGH, YORK

i am doing a sub - I at metro and away rotation at lutheran and summa

Step 1: 242
Step 2 CK:240
School: Mid-Tier
Class Rank: Middle
Grades in Clerkship: High Pass in all
AOA: nope
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: no research; the typical extracurricular bs
Applying to most of the university programs within the borders of Boston, Pittsburgh, and Virginia - with everything in between, including Philly. Avoiding NYC because I don't want to live there. My list includes MGH, Beth Israel, B&W, Tufts, Boston Medical Center, UMass, Brown, UConn, NSLIJ, Penn, Jefferson, Temple, Maryland, Hopkins, UPMC, UVa, VCU

A little nervous that my Step 2 score dropped from Step 1, think it's a big deal?

Step 1: 242
Step 2 CK:240
School: Mid-Tier
Class Rank: Middle
Grades in Clerkship: High Pass in all
AOA: nope
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: no research; the typical extracurricular bs
Applying to most of the university programs within the borders of Boston, Pittsburgh, and Virginia - with everything in between, including Philly. Avoiding NYC because I don't want to live there. My list includes MGH, Beth Israel, B&W, Tufts, Boston Medical Center, UMass, Brown, UConn, NSLIJ, Penn, Jefferson, Temple, Maryland, Hopkins, UPMC, UVa, VCU

A little nervous that my Step 2 score dropped from Step 1, think it's a big deal?

The Step 2 CK score is not a big deal. I think it would matter more if you went from 242-->210.

The Harvard programs are major reaches unfortunately with your HPs and lack of AOA. Penn and Hopkins are reaches for the same reasons. Otherwise, I think you probably have a decent chance at most of the other ones. UVa is +/- I think.

So I know I posted before and my step 2 scores weren't back. But now they are and I'm panicking! I don't know what to do and what to make of my application. I
Don't know how to explain my boards. I do really well on rotations and I don't think I'm stupid! I just am a ****ty standardized test taker, but I don't think that's enough for an explanation. I'm at a lost and any help would be appreciated

Comlex II 422
School: Osteopathic
Class Rank: 15/189
Grades in Clerkship: Honors in Medicine, Surgery, FM, Pediatrics, OBGyn, Psych
AOA: in the DO version called SSP
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: lots of volunteer and leadership through student government, scholarships.

I'm applying both DO and MD

OH: Metrohealth, CCF, Summa Akron, Akron gen, UH Case (reach i know!), south pointe, Summa cuyhoga, riverside columbus, doctors columbus, St johns medical center - west shore
IL: lutheran, st james, UIC, north shore, loyola, christ, masonic, rush, swedish

i am doing a sub - I at metro and away rotation at lutheran and summa

oh honey, why oh why did you take step 2 ck? oh dear.

anyways, I think you have some reasonable picks. I know some folks who are very happy at Lutheran so shine at that rotation and things may work out. Metro, on the other hand....well, have fun with that.

not sure how you came up with some of the picks but there are some other programs out there that might be worth adding, especially in FL & PA. not sure how wide you want to cast your net. I think at this point your best bet may be with the DO programs because your rank, extracurriculars, and clerkship grades will be valued much more than your board scores. Emory is going to throw your app in the trash (fwiw, they tossed mine, too).

Comlex II 422
So what's your excuse for Level II then? I'm just kidding...I don't care...and neither will anybody else. So don't bring it up unless asked. Even then, don't make excuses like this...it's lame. And since your scores are all concordant, it's a reasonable representation of you, or at least your test taking ability. You didn't fail any of them. You got what you got, own it and move on.

Emory, Case and maybe UIC and CCF will s***can your app. The others are pretty good bets. If you get interviews from half of them, you're golden.

I also agree that your list is really kind of strange and I could easily think of another 20 programs you'd have a decent shot at in the same geographic locations if you were so inclined.

I would prefer north east Ohio region but I will take any suggestions for more programs anyone has. I just submitted my Osteo app.

To be honest I don't have a reason why I bombed my comlex 2, it wasnt even hard. I'm at a loss for any explanation. I try not to dwell on it but some days it's hard obviously. Gotta Move forward with I have

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to apply couples match with my boyfriend, but we just got our level 2 scores back and he ended up failing. We both want to go into IM and were going to go the MD route but is it risky now? I'd just like some advice as to what to do. Should I apply couples and just see what interviews we get then rank couples or solo depending? Would it be shooting myself in the foot to still apply with him? What if we applied couples to different IM programs in the same city, would that be better?

Me:
Comlex level 1: 408
Comlex level 2 CE: 463
Class Rank: Don't know (GPA: 3.411)
Grades in Clekship: All Honors, 1 High pass
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Volunteering here and there and some OMM outreach, officer in school psych club, won a $10k scholarship
Overview of where you want to end up: Anywhere on the eastern side of the Mississippi. I realize that I'm not the most competitive applicant but I'd like to stay relatively near my family. I'd love to get into VCU, Wake, EVMS but I realize my chances are slim.

Him:
Comlex level 1: 467
Comlex level 2 CE: fail (363)
Class Rank: Don't know
Grades in Clerkship: All honors
Research/Publications/Extracurriculars: School ambassador, mission trip to Honduras, various OMM outreach
Overview of where you want to end up: Basically the same as mine above.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am trying to apply couples match with my boyfriend, but we just got our level 2 scores back and he ended up failing. We both want to go into IM and were going to go the MD route but is it risky now? I'd just like some advice as to what to do. Should I apply couples and just see what interviews we get then rank couples or solo depending? Would it be shooting myself in the foot to still apply with him? What if we applied couples to different IM programs in the same city, would that be better?

Me:
Comlex level 1: 408
Comlex level 2 CE: 463
Class Rank: Don't know (GPA: 3.411)
Grades in Clekship: All Honors, 1 High pass
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Volunteering here and there and some OMM outreach, officer in school psych club, won a $10k scholarship
Overview of where you want to end up: Anywhere on the eastern side of the Mississippi. I realize that I'm not the most competitive applicant but I'd like to stay relatively near my family. I'd love to get into VCU, Wake, EVMS but I realize my chances are slim.

Him:
Comlex level 1: 467
Comlex level 2 CE: fail (363)
Class Rank: Don't know
Grades in Clerkship: All honors
Research/Publications/Extracurriculars: School ambassador, mission trip to Honduras, various OMM outreach
Overview of where you want to end up: Basically the same as mine above.

Thanks!

2 extremely uncompetitive DO students trying to couples match?

AOA all the way. You'll be wasting your time with NRMP. Doesn't mean you can't try, but you need to be in the AOA match and, if you score 15+ interviews EACH in NRMP, then - and only then - consider pulling out of the AOA match.

School: Top 25
Step 1: 239
Step 2: Not taken yet
Preclinical: Pass/Fail...All Pass
Clinical: Honors = Medicine, Fam Medicine/ HP = Everything else
AOA: Unlikely
Research: Basic science/epidemiology infectious disease - 6 pubs, 2 first author
ECs: nothing meaningful to adcoms
LoRs: Probably strong from IM PD, IM clerkship director, Fam med preceptor. Very good research letter from post-bacc mentor

Programs I'm interested in:
Shot in the Dark: UCSF, Penn, Stanford, UW, UCLA
Reach: Michigan, Northwestern, U Chicago, UCSD, WashU, Vanderbilt, Mayo Rochester, BIDMC, Sinai
Less of Reach: OHSU, Colorado, Scripps Green, UCI, UC Davis, UNC, Baylor, Pitt, UVA, Rush, Cedars Sinai
Likely: Emory, UIC, Loyola, Minnesota, Miami, Brown, Georgetown, George Washington, Tulane, Olive-View, Harbor UCLA

Im from the South but I went to undergrad at a UC, think that will help my app for California schools?

Do you think I'm in the ballpark with my assessment of how competitive I am for the programs listed..at least superficially? Any I should throw in?

I'll be applying to primary care tracks mostly and want to do something outpatient ultimately (HIV, Rheum, Allergy, Primary Care), any suggestions on what programs are good for that?

Step 1: 265
Step 2 CK/ CS: waiting for ck score (263 on uwsa right before)
School: Mid tier
Class Rank:Top 25
Grades in Clerkship: H in all except HP in psych and P in Fam med
AOA: Not yet announced but hopeful
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: multiple extracurriculars. 1 third author pub at major research facility. 2 posters and 1 presentation.
Overview of where you want to end up: Gonna apply to a whole bunch more but I would like opinions on columbia, cornell, upenn, hopkins, mgh, bid, northwestern, stanford, vanderbilt. Thanks

Last edited:
Step 1: low 240s
Step 2 CK: high 240s
School: Not top-50
Class Rank: top 1/3
Grades in Clerkship: pass FM/psych/IM, honors rest
AOA: most likely no
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: no pubs, just poster stuff, leadership/teaching EC stuff

Trying to consider locations with a low cost of living in the northeast (PA, OH, MD, MA, CT).

Nervous about lack of honors in medicine

Any help would be greatly appreciated - gracias

Step 1: 259
Comlex 1: 720
Step 2: 263
Comlex 2: 761
School: osteopathic
Class rank: don't know/school does not rank
Grades: H in Medicine, Gen Surgery, FM, Psych, OB/GYN, Peds
AOA: no chapter at my school
No publications or research since college, but a good amount of volunteer experience in health-related topics

I am hoping to be in the Philadelphia area but would consider other parts of the country...my reach programs are Penn, Jeff, Hopkins Bayview, Cleveland Clinic...other programs that I would be happy at are Temple, UMDNJ RWJ, Hahnemann, Lehigh, Cooper...

I am happy with my board scores, but my lack of research and the fact that I will be applying allo as a DO is worrying me. I have heard from many of my fellow students that some places will not take a DO regardless, so I am trying to figure out which programs I may actually have an honest shot at and which are safeties

what other programs would you suggest?
i keep hearing things about metro IM what is the deal?

Research: Basic science/epidemiology infectious disease - 6 pubs, 2 first author
LoRs: Probably strong from IM PD, IM clerkship director, Fam med preceptor. Very good research letter from post-bacc mentor

Reach: Michigan, Northwestern, U Chicago, UCSD, WashU, Vanderbilt, Mayo Rochester, BIDMC, Sinai
Less of Reach: OHSU, Colorado, Scripps Green, UCI, UC Davis, UNC, Baylor, Pitt, UVA, Rush, Cedars Sinai
Likely: Emory, UIC, Loyola, Minnesota, Miami, Brown, Georgetown, George Washington, Tulane, Olive-View, Harbor UCLA

Im from the South but I went to undergrad at a UC, think that will help my app for California schools?

Do you think I'm in the ballpark with my assessment of how competitive I am for the programs listed..at least superficially? Any I should throw in?

I'll be applying to primary care tracks mostly and want to do something outpatient ultimately (HIV, Rheum, Allergy, Primary Care), any suggestions on what programs are good for that?

Yes
Mybe but likely
Reach

Step 1: 255
Step 2 CK/ CS: waiting for ck score (263 on uwsa right before)
School: North east state school
Class Rank:Top 25
Grades in Clerkship: H in all except HP in psych and P in Fam med
AOA: Not yet announced but hopeful
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: multiple extracurriculars. 1 third author pub at major research facility. 2 posters and 1 presentation.
Overview of where you want to end up: Gonna apply to a whole bunch more but I would like opinions on columbia, cornell, upenn, hopkins, mgh, bid, northwestern, stanford, vanderbilt. Thanks

You'll get some interviews from that list, but my guess is about as good as flipping a coin as to which you'll get interviews at. MGH, JHU, Stanford, and Columbia probably being the most choosey... but you're splitting hairs for competitiveness.

Step 1: USMLE: 210 Comlex: 515
Research: 1 First Author Publication (recent)
1 " (undergrad)
School: Osteopathic (#1 even though ranking is not really common here I believe)
Would like to match into a place like Hershey, chances? I know I only just started 3rd year but I'm looking for places to audition at, I would really like to get an ACGME (or dual) residency that has plentiful in-house fellowships. Any helpful suggestions?

Similar feelings to disorder, but a little different, using his/her system.

Reach
50/50
Likely

In general, big city programs are tough because they get more apps and have to resort to more screens. Strong midwest programs (Wash U, Michigan) are easier to interview at but no guarantee either.

I don't think going to a UC for undergrad will matter very much. Would matter a lot more if you went to UC for med school because then the residency programs would be much more familiar with students/previous residents from the program.

Well, here goes... My main objective in posting here is to get some advice in taking at least 5 programs off my preliminary list.

Step 1: 255
Step 2 CK: TBD
School: Mid-Tier State Allo school
Class Rank: N/A
Grades in Clerkship: All H third year
AOA: TBD
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: contributed to 1 peer-reviewed pub, 1 astrophysics conference pub in college, 1 poster. Extensive teaching experience both at med school and in test-prep. Some volunteering. Also FWIW I'm a white boy with decent Spanish skills.

Looking to go to a big academic place that will make me competitive for a solid Hem/Onc or Pulm/CC fellowship. No geographic preference (although push comes to shove I prefer urban environments), my #1 priority is that a program fit with my personality/has happy residents/I get the general feeling that I'd thrive in the residency program. Name is definitely less important than this. As I said, my main objective here is to get my list down to 30 from 35, any places that won't take too much of a look at a dude without too much research from a state school are the first to go. Here's what I got, as it stands:

Northeast: MGH, BW, Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell (based on my above criterion, I'm guessing these are the ones to go), Sinai, NYU, GTown
Midwest: MCW, UW-Madison, UChicago, NU, UIC, UMich, UIowa, Mayo, Wash U, UPMC
South: UNC, UVa, Wake, Duke, Emory, UTSW, Baylor, MUSC, Vanderbilt, Tulane
West: UCSD, UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, OHSU, UW, Colorado

As always, thanks in advance.

If you get AOA and have good LORs, then you can probably take of UIC, MUSC, Tulane, UIowa, Wake, and MCW. (Just naming those since you want 5 off). Should get a good # of the remaining programs on your list barring any personality red flags.

Research is nice, but good clinical grades/letters ultimately still mean a lot.

Step 1: 220s
Step 2 CK: 260s
School: Top 50s in Research/Primary Care
Grades in Clerkship (pass, honors): all pass, honors medicine subI
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 poster presentation, 1 research presentation, intramurals
Overview of where you want to end up: primary goal is anywhere in CA, secondary goal is programs in locations where I could see myself living. I know UCSF, Stanford, and Harvard are reaches, but I would appreciate if someone could point out what else are reaches.

all of CA: Kern Medical, Kaiser x5, UCSF, UCSF/Fresno, Scripps Mercy, Loma Linda, St. Mary's (LBC), Cedars Sinai, Olive View, UCLA, USC, White Memorial, UCR, Alameda, UCI, Huntington Memorial, Eisenhower Medical, UC Davis, UCSD, Pacific Medical, St. Mary's (SF), Santa Clara Valley, Santa Barbara Cottage, Stanford, Harbor-UCLA
OR: Legacy Emanuel, OHSU, Providence Medical, St. Vincent Hospital
NV: University of Nevada
AZ (Phoenix): Banner Good Samaritan, Maricopa, St. Joseph's, Mayo College of Medicine
TX (Houston, Dallas): Baylor, University of Texas
MA (Boston): Beth Israel, Boston University, Brigham, Mass General, St. Elizabeth, Tufts

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Thank you in advance for any help y'all can offer me!!

School: Osteo
USMLE Step 1: 208
COMLEX Step 1: 455
COMLEX PE: Passed
USMLE Step 2 CK + Comlex 2 CE: registered, but not taken
Preclinical: 3.3, most B student, no ranking system
Clinical: All Honors
Research: nothing during med school, just in undergrad and year off before med school. No pubs, only an abs+poster presentation at national convention.
ECs: club president, tons of volunteering, health fairs, community outreach, mentoring.
LoRs: 1) letter from the chairman of medicine (also the director of the ACGME IM program), 2) attending hospitalist letter from IM clerkship, 3) DME letter from IM clerkship, 4) IM Sub-i letter from PD at home institution's AOA residency.

Regional Preferences:
Would love to stay in the Midwest(preferably Illinois/Michigan) or East(NY/NJ), but I would go anywhere for solid training and will most likely apply broadly.

--Due to my less than stellar scores I am looking for recommendations for a list of programs I am compiling for places that might give me a shot/interview. I accept the fact that I will probably not receive more than a handful of interviews, but hoping for the best. Anyone know how many interviews I should receive to feel "safe" enough to match ACGME? Also, if anyone has any solid information on osteopathic programs(hard to find decent information) in MI/IL/NY/NJ I would appreciate it! :)

Step 1: 249
Step 2 CK: 249
School: State school in Texas (Not UTSW)
Undergrad: UChicago
Class Rank: Top 10%
Grades in Clerkship: 4 A's (including Medicine), 2 B's
AOA: Possible (senior year AOA decisions have yet to be made)
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: No research or publications. As for EC's I play violin in an orchestra, I've had a couple of leadership positions at the state level (Texas Medical Association), 2 years of working with Upward Bound prior to med school, and some other not so notable activities.
So I'm looking to apply based on location + reputation:
UTSW, Baylor Dallas, Presbyterian Dallas, Baylor Houston, Emory, Duke, University of Colorado, UCSD, UCSF, Stanford, OHSU, UW, UChicago, NW, Rush, UIC, Georgetown, Columbia, Cornell, BU, MGH, BWH, Cambridge Health Alliance, Brown

My only concern is that my Step 2 score is unchanged from Step 1. In hindsight I should have taken it later and studied more but that's besides the point. Will that score adversely affect my chances at top programs or will it have little to no effect?

Step 1:208/525
Step 2 CK/CS: 230/670
School: DO
Class Rank: Top 1/3
Grades in Clekship: all honors

Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: have couple abstracts and posters; one poster at ACG. Involved in IM club and other various clubs (doubt it matters all that much). LOR could be strong, but not from any big names.

Overview of where you want to end up: midwest and philly applying mostly allopathic but some DO programs. Looking for mid tier academic program or strong community program with possibility of fellowship.

Know my USMLE level 1 score is a joke. Did decent on USMLE step 2 and did pretty well on COMLEX steps.

Chicago: Advocate Christ, Advocate Luthern, Advocate Masonic, Louis A Weiss, Mercy Hospital, St. Joesph, Rush, University of Illinois at chicago,

Ohio: CCF (doubtful) Case (doubtful), Ohio State (any chance?), Akron general, Summa health, Jewish Hospital in cincy, Christ hospital in cincy, UC, Good Sam in cincy, Riverside, Mount carmel, Kettering in dayton,

PA: Albert einstein, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson (doubtful), Penn Hospital, Alleghany General in Pitt

Would really love some input on my residency chances for any of these places, but especially in Chicago and philly.

Posting for feedback on my list of programs since I have an inconsistent application.

School: top-40 allopathic school
Step 1: 218
Step 2 CK: 260
Step 2 CS: Pending
Clinical Grades: All "Pass" during third year. "Honors" in Internal Medicine Sub-I
Research: Extensive research, 3 publications, 5 poster presentations (including one national)
Other: Strong letters of recommendation, many volunteer and extra-curricular experiences

I would strongly prefer any decent academic program, preferably in the midwest. However, I tried to pick a reasonable mix of community and academic programs.

Bolded = Reach

Illinois:
1. Loyola University
2. Rush University
3. University of Chicago
4. University of Illinois at Chicago
5. Northwestern University

Indiana:
6. Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital
7. Indiana University
8. St. Vincent Hospital

Iowa:
9. University of Iowa

Kentucky:
10. University of Kentucky

Michigan:
11. St Joseph Mercy Hospital
12. University of Michigan

Missouri:
13. Washington University

Ohio:
14. Akron General Medical Center/NEOMED
15. Cleveland MetroHealth
16. Case Western Reserve University
17. Cleveland Clinic
18. Ohio State University
19. Riverside Methodist Hospital
20. University of Cincinnati
21. Wright State University

Pennsylvania:
22. Penn State University
23. Temple University Hospital
24. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
25. University of Pittsburgh
26. University of Pennsylvania

Tennessee:
27. Vanderbilt University

West Virginia:
28. Marshall University
29. West Virginia University

Should any others from that list (besides what I have bolded) be considered true reaches for me?

Also, how much will my improvement from Step 1 to Step 2 help me?

Thanks!

Posting for feedback on my list of programs since I have an inconsistent application.

Clinical Grades: All "Pass" during third year. "Honors" in Internal Medicine Sub-I
Research: Extensive research, 3 publications, 5 poster presentations (including one national)
Other: Strong letters of recommendation, many volunteer and extra-curricular experiences

I would strongly prefer any decent academic program, preferably in the midwest. However, I tried to pick a reasonable mix of community and academic programs.

Bolded = Reach

Illinois:
1. Loyola University
2. Rush University
3. University of Chicago
4. University of Illinois at Chicago
5. Northwestern University

Indiana:
6. Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital
7. Indiana University
8. St. Vincent Hospital

Iowa:
9. University of Iowa

Kentucky:
10. University of Kentucky

Michigan:
11. St Joseph Mercy Hospital
12. University of Michigan

Missouri:
13. Washington University

Ohio:
14. Akron General Medical Center/NEOMED
15. Cleveland MetroHealth
16. Case Western Reserve University
17. Cleveland Clinic
18. Ohio State University
19. Riverside Methodist Hospital
20. University of Cincinnati
21. Wright State University

Pennsylvania:
22. Penn State University
23. Temple University Hospital
24. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
25. University of Pittsburgh
26. University of Pennsylvania

Tennessee:
27. Vanderbilt University

West Virginia:
28. Marshall University
29. West Virginia University

Should any others from that list (besides what I have bolded) be considered true reaches for me?

Also, how much will my improvement from Step 1 to Step 2 help me?

Thanks!

I'd say that 29 is probably overkill, but it's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't apply to any of the community programs (unless you count CCF as community - I would apply there). I think you have a good number of reaches and will likely get interviews at many of them. U of Wisconsin and U of Minnesota are also very solid programs if you're thinking Midwest.

I'd try to trim to 20ish programs, but it's not going to hurt applying to more.

G-town doesn't take IMGs. Maybe one from Ross, like, a long time ago.

It has a current IMG from Universidad del Salvador

School: top 30
Step 1: 253
Step 2: 241
Clinical Grades: Internal Med (honors), Surgery (pass), HP for all the rest
Extracurriculars/Research/etc: dual degree program (MD/MPH); applied/was accepted to summer research program (IM-related) at another institution, which I got a basic science poster & presentation out of. 1 short publication in process of being submitted (2nd author)
LORs: one IM letter, one departmental letter, one letter from MPH advisor...do I need another clinical/IM letter? I'm lucky to have some great faculty members to write letters, but unfortunately they are peds/family med and not IM

Obviously I'll need to add some "mid-tier" schools to my list as well, but my short list so far includes places like UMich, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Stanford...am I in the right ballpark program-wise given my stats, and how seriously should I be considering some of the other top 10-15 programs?

I think you should end up near the top tier so you should be in the right ballpark.

Step 1: 252
Step 2 CK/ CS: 262/taking in sept
School: state school in the south - low-mid tier?
Class Rank: top 10%
Grades in Clekship: A in IM/FM/elective, rest B's
AOA: maybe senior
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 abstract but not first author.. volunteer clinic coordinator, program assistant during summer.. nothing too special

Overview of where you want to end up:
I'm looking pretty much all over - mainly in the big cities with diverse population. I would really like to go into GI/Nephro/Rheum - haven't decided on which one.

here's may list so far:
West: UCLA, UC davis, UCSF, cedar-sinai, OHSU
Texas: UTSW, UT houston
East: BU, Tufts, Vandy, Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Penn, Drexel, GW, Georgetown, UVA, UCU, Duke, UNC, Emory

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated; also, which ones would be considered within reach for me?? thank you so much!!!

I'd say that 29 is probably overkill, but it's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't apply to any of the community programs (unless you count CCF as community - I would apply there). I think you have a good number of reaches and will likely get interviews at many of them. U of Wisconsin and U of Minnesota are also very solid programs if you're thinking Midwest.

Perhaps one or two community programs for a backup.

Unfortunately with a 218, a lot of those reaches may ****-can your app despite a 260 on step 2. .

Step 1: 252
Step 2 CK/ CS: 262/taking in sept
School: state school in the south - low-mid tier?
Class Rank: top 10%
Grades in Clekship: A in IM/FM/elective, rest B's
AOA: maybe senior
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 abstract but not first author.. volunteer clinic coordinator, program assistant during summer.. nothing too special

Overview of where you want to end up:
I'm looking pretty much all over - mainly in the big cities with diverse population. I would really like to go into GI/Nephro/Rheum - haven't decided on which one.

here's may list so far:
West: UCLA, UC davis, UCSF, cedar-sinai, OHSU
Texas: UTSW, UT houston
East: BU, Tufts, Vandy, Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Penn, Drexel, GW, Georgetown, UVA, UCU, Duke, UNC, Emory

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated; also, which ones would be considered within reach for me?? thank you so much!!!

Definitely drop Drexel and add Jefferson and Temple. Also add Cornell (why not?).

I would appreciate any feedback :love:

School: Osteo
COMLEX Level 1: 578/87
COMLEX Level 2: 569/87
COMLEX PE: pending
Pre-clinical: Mostly honors and high pass
Clinical: Mostly honors, 1 or 2 high pass
School doesn't rank
3 decent to strong LORs
Research: 1 publication and poster prior to medical school
A few extracurriculars and volunteer experiences in med school
Regional: applied to osteopathic IM programs in PA and FL

I wasn't sure if I would be competitive enough for allopathic programs in those areas since I didn't take the USMLE so I haven't considered the NRMP. What do you guys think?

Also, I have only heard back on 3 programs regarding interviews. Is it just because it's still early in the process? I've noted that some programs have still not downloaded my application.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey everyone I've posted here before and I thank you again for all the feedback. My problem now is trying to cut down on the list of programs I am applying to. I currently have 46 programs on my list and I'm hoping to cut it down to 30-35. Any help would be appreciated

I've repost my stats for reference

Step 1: 247
Step 2 CK/ CS: Pending in Sept.
School: Lower-end private school
Class Rank: Top half to top third
Grades in Clerkship: High pass in medicine (first rotation), 3 other HP, 2 pass, 1 honors
AOA: Not sure
Research/ Publications: 1 paper accepted in journal, 2 first author abstracts, 1 poster, 1 presentation (all in plastic surgery though)
Extracurriculars: Nothing extraordinary, volunteer with at-risk kids, student free clinic, various interest groups, tutoring

List of programs:
West: CPMC, Cedars-Sinai, Huntington Memorial, Kaiser LA, Loma Linda, Harbor-UCLA, Oliver View, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, Scripps Green, Stanford, UCSF, UW, OHSU

Midwest: U of Colorado, Northwestern, UIC, Rush, U of Chicago, UIC, Michigan, Mayo, Wash U(St. Louis), Cleveland clinic, OSU, Cincinnati, Baylor, UTSW

East: Georgetown, Emory, BIDMC, B&W, MGH, Boston U, Tufts, Johns Hopkins,Bayview-Hopkins, Mount Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Albert Einstein Montefiore, Pittsburgh, Penn,

Which programs do I absolutely have no chance with and which programs should I not waste my time with? Thank you very much

Hey everyone I've posted here before and I thank you again for all the feedback. My problem now is trying to cut down on the list of programs I am applying to. I currently have 46 programs on my list and I'm hoping to cut it down to 30-35. Any help would be appreciated

I've repost my stats for reference

Step 1: 247
Step 2 CK/ CS: Pending in Sept.
School: Lower-end private school
Class Rank: Top half to top third
Grades in Clerkship: High pass in medicine (first rotation), 3 other HP, 2 pass, 1 honors
AOA: Not sure
Research/ Publications: 1 paper accepted in journal, 2 first author abstracts, 1 poster, 1 presentation (all in plastic surgery though)
Extracurriculars: Nothing extraordinary, volunteer with at-risk kids, student free clinic, various interest groups, tutoring

List of programs:
West: CPMC, Cedars-Sinai, Huntington Memorial, Kaiser LA, Loma Linda, Harbor-UCLA, Oliver View, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, Scripps Green, Stanford, UCSF, UW, OHSU

Midwest: U of Colorado, Northwestern, UIC, Rush, U of Chicago, UIC, Michigan, Mayo, Wash U(St. Louis), Cleveland clinic, OSU, Cincinnati, Baylor, UTSW

East: Georgetown, Emory, BIDMC, B&W, MGH, Boston U, Tufts, Johns Hopkins,Bayview-Hopkins, Mount Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Albert Einstein Montefiore, Pittsburgh, Penn,

Which programs do I absolutely have no chance with and which programs should I not waste my time with? Thank you very much

Slim chances, but why not just keep them? It seriously isn't that expensive.

Step 1: 225
Step 2 CK: 263
School: Top 50s in Research/Primary Care
Class Rank: Average
Grades in Clerkship (pass, honors): all pass
Grades in 4th year: honors in internal medicine, rest pass
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 poster presentation, 1 research presentation, no real publications, intramural basketball, 1 volunteering experience, a lot of volunteering/work experiences in undergrad though
Overview of where you want to end up: goal is anywhere in CA, choices based largely on region (CA, OR, WA, NV, phoenix, dallas, houston, boston). I know UCSF, Stanford, and Harvard are reaches, but I would appreciate if someone could point out what else are reaches.

all of CA: Kern Medical, Kaiser x5, UCSF, UCSF/Fresno, Scripps Mercy, Loma Linda, St. Mary's (LBC), Cedars Sinai, Olive View, UCLA, USC, White Memorial, UCR, Alameda, UCI, Huntington Memorial, Eisenhower Medical, UC Davis, UCSD, Pacific Medical, St. Mary's (SF), Santa Clara Valley, Santa Barbara Cottage, Stanford, Harbor-UCLA

OR: Legacy Emanuel, OHSU, Providence Medical, St. Vincent Hospital

WA: University of WA, Virginia Mason

NV: University of Nevada

AZ (Phoenix): Banner Good Samaritan, Maricopa, St. Joseph's, Mayo College of Medicine

TX (Houston, Dallas): Baylor, University of Texas

MA (Boston): Harvard ? this is not a hospital , Boston University, Brigham, Mass General, St. Elizabeth, Tufts

And a side question if anyone has an idea, how many programs do CA applicants usually apply to?

Thanks for your help.

Slim slim chances
Reach

The rest are fine.

How badly do you want to be in CA? If that's your desire, just apply to all of them. But to be honest cut these out. You'll get plenty of interviews from the others. And, drop all your AZ programs.

Slim chances, but why not just keep them? It seriously isn't that expensive.

Unless I'm mistaken with the ERAS fees system

46 programs: $748
35 programs: $462
30 programs: $332

Under the Same Specialty
Programs Up to 10 - $92
Programs 11-20 - $9 each
Programs 21-30 - $15 each
Programs 31 or more - $26 each

So there is a substantial drop from 46 to 30 but I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter? I guess 46 just seems overkill to me lol

Step 1: 249
Step 2 CK: 249
School: State school in Texas (Not UTSW)
Undergrad: UChicago
Class Rank: Top 10%
Grades in Clerkship: 4 A's (including Medicine), 2 B's
AOA: Possible (senior year AOA decisions have yet to be made)
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: No research or publications. As for EC's I play violin in an orchestra, I've had a couple of leadership positions at the state level (Texas Medical Association), 2 years of working with Upward Bound prior to med school, and some other not so notable activities.
So I'm looking to apply based on location + reputation:
UTSW, Baylor Dallas, Presbyterian Dallas, Baylor Houston, Emory, Duke, University of Colorado, UCSD, UCSF, Stanford, OHSU, UW, UChicago, NW, Rush, UIC, Georgetown, Columbia, Cornell, BU, MGH, BWH, Cambridge Health Alliance, Brown

My only concern is that my Step 2 score is unchanged from Step 1. In hindsight I should have taken it later and studied more but that's besides the point. Will that score adversely affect my chances at top programs or will it have little to no effect?

No. Your steps are fine.

Your list is top heavy save a few programs. You might be fine, but I'd expand it since your app is very numbers-y and light on the EC's (although your involvement in orchestra is a +, but not sure how much that counts).

Hi there! Hoping to get your opinion on my app!

Step 1: 212 (I know I know)
Step 2 CK/ CS: 248, COMLEX PE Passed
School: DO school
Class Rank: Top third
Grades in Clerkship: All A's (We do A through F)
AOA: Member of SSP
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 research stints, 2 papers from one (including first author) and another paper from the other (first author), the usual extracurriculars AMA, SOMA, etc
Overview of where you want to end up: I'm open to going anywhere, but my home area is Chicago (interested in Loyola, Rush, and UIC) or I'm interested in the West Coast. I have very strong letters of recommendation and have done 2 aways so far, and will be doing 2 more. Currently doing a subI and getting really great feedback from the attendings in charge of my team. Mainly looking for ACGME university based programs, but I know with my Step 1 scores this might be a little tough. Hoping that my Step 2 score helps along with my research background. Do you think my Step 1 will keep me away from some programs that have a screening cut off score?

Cut these:
List of programs:
West: Huntington Memorial, Kaiser LA, Loma Linda, Harbor-UCLA, Oliver View

Midwest: Rush, Cincinnati

East: Georgetown, Tufts
That gets you down to 37. I don't see much of a point in decreasing it any further.

Impossible to say. The ones that disorder highlighted as well as Columbia and Hopkins are in fact longshots but, whatever, you won't know until you try. There are some other random places that won't give you an interview either but with a list and stats like yours, you'll likely be turning down almost as many IVs as you keep.

Unless I'm mistaken with the ERAS fees system

46 programs: $748
35 programs: $462
30 programs: $332

Under the Same Specialty
Programs Up to 10 - $92
Programs 11-20 - $9 each
Programs 21-30 - $15 each
Programs 31 or more - $26 each

So there is a substantial drop from 46 to 30 but I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter? I guess 46 just seems overkill to me lol

Worst money saving plan ever.

Thanks for the response.

Perhaps one or two community programs for a backup.

Unfortunately with a 218, a lot of those reaches may ****-can your app despite a 260 on step 2. .

Yeah, in fact, I just noticed that Penn explicitly states that they won't consider applications with a Step 1 score less than 220. They list it as a requirement on their website. So I went ahead and removed Penn. I also removed some of the community programs and cut my list down to 25 programs.

Reposting my stats for easier reading:

Revised list of programs (bolded = reach)

1. Loyola University
2. Northwestern University
3. Rush University
4. University of Chicago
5. University of Illinois at Chicago
6. Indiana University
7. University of Iowa
8. University of Kentucky
9. University of Michigan
10. Mayo Clinic
11. Washington University
12. CWRU MetroHealth
13. Case Western Reserve University
14. Cleveland Clinic
15. Ohio State University
16. Riverside Methodist Hospital
17. University of Cincinnati
18. Wright State University
19. Temple University
20. Thomas Jefferson University
21. University of Pittsburgh
22. Duke University
23. Vanderbilt University
24. West Virginia University
25. University of Wisconsin

What are my chances at Vanderbilt in particular? It's near the top of my list in terms of where I would like to go.

Last edited:
I am relatively new IM PD. I've been asked to present on "WAMC" to some medical students. I've read all 463 posts here and I'm trying to know my audience to provide some basically helpful advice for any 4th year that might show up.

To that end....

Types of 4th year students applying to IM.

#1. Tower of accomplishments. Top scores, generally AOA, Top 25 medical school, Research +/-. Desires ambitious match aka "best" possible program.

#2. Geography/Family First. Decent AMG scores, no red flags. Desires match in a particular area, usually due to family reasons

#3. One and only one place will do. For whatever reason, student desires match to one program far above all others.

#4. Late to the game // Switch to IM from another field. Usually reasonable AMG stats, but LORs or research from another area.

#5. Poor applications. Poor scores, step failures, bottom school, no research. Desires some match.

#6. Delusional. Students who think that they are in one of the above 5 categories who are really in one of the other categories.

I have about an hour to talk and wanted to hit on some thoughts for each of the #1-5. Am I missing any?

Status
Not open for further replies.