*~*Official 2013-2014 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do I put a R for courses repeated or my original grade? My transcript says RD (R for repeat and D for my original grade).

I put a R for the second grade.
Even though my grades has not been verified yet, I am a re-applicant and had no problem getting my courses/grades verified last cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I put a R for the second grade.
Even though my grades has not been verified yet, I am a re-applicant and had no problem getting my courses/grades verified last cycle.

R for your second grade? Why wouldn't you put your high grade on there?

Also, I have 2 classes that I'm not sure what to classify as. Should I put them under biochemistry?

CHEM 415 Protein Chemistry - Building upon principles in the introductory biochemistry course, this course will elaborate on protein structure and function, and cover theoretical and practical aspects related to the purification, quantification, characterization, and modification of proteins. Students will be introduced to the use of protein data banks, computer modeling and prediction of protein structure, and protein design. Prerequisites: Biochemistry, Biochemistry Laboratory, Physical Biochemistry, and Physical Biochemistry Laboratory

CHEM 420 Bioseparations - This laboratory-intensive course focuses on methods used to isolate biological molecules and cellular structures. Theory, instrumentation and protocols of chromatography, dialysis, filtration, centrifugation, electrophoresis and cell sorting will be covered. Prerequisites: Biochemistry, Biochemistry Laboratory
http://www4.esu.edu/academics/catalog/undergraduate/chemistry.cfm#o6797

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I have 2 classes that I'm not sure what to classify as. Should I put them under biochemistry?

CHEM 415 Protein Chemistry - Building upon principles in the introductory biochemistry course, this course will elaborate on protein structure and function, and cover theoretical and practical aspects related to the purification, quantification, characterization, and modification of proteins. Students will be introduced to the use of protein data banks, computer modeling and prediction of protein structure, and protein design. Prerequisites: Biochemistry, Biochemistry Laboratory, Physical Biochemistry, and Physical Biochemistry Laboratory

CHEM 420 Bioseparations - This laboratory-intensive course focuses on methods used to isolate biological molecules and cellular structures. Theory, instrumentation and protocols of chromatography, dialysis, filtration, centrifugation, electrophoresis and cell sorting will be covered. Prerequisites: Biochemistry, Biochemistry Laboratory

I would think so.... but that's just my assumption based on course descriptions! haha If you want to double check I think you should ask your professors or chem department counselors

I would put the first one as biochemistry and the second one as biology. But I think if PharmCAS disagrees with your classification, they will just go ahead and reclassify it anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. They did that with one of my classes, and it didn't hold up my application or cause any problems.

Sorry I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, and I'm not sure if this is even the right avenue, but my professor informed me today that he couldn't send my letter of rec using Chrome. When he switched to IE he could see my application just fine. So I'm not sure what was going on with that.

Hey guys,

Due to the severe weather and the widespread power outages on the east coast, PharmCAS will be extending the November 1 deadline to November 15 to accommodate any applicants who may need more time to complete their applications and to send in their transcripts.

You can see this information on our Facebook and Twitter feeds (www.facebook.com/PharmCAS and www.twitter.com/PharmCAS, respectively). You should also see a message posted on the log in screen at PharmCAS Shortly.

Good Luck!
PharmCAS Staff

Sorry I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, and I'm not sure if this is even the right avenue, but my professor informed me today that he couldn't send my letter of rec using Chrome. When he switched to IE he could see my application just fine. So I'm not sure what was going on with that.

He may have been able to send the letter using IE. We recommend using Firefox with the application, and find that it tends to work better.

How do I complete the "coursework" portion of my pharmcas application? It says to "select [my] student registration status during this term". Here's the problem; I completed my pre-pharm coursework two semesters ago. I am currently just chilling at home. There is no option for chilling at home. What do I put?

How do I complete the "coursework" portion of my pharmcas application? It says to "select [my] student registration status during this term". Here's the problem; I completed my pre-pharm coursework two semesters ago. I am currently just chilling at home. There is no option for chilling at home. What do I put?

Hey Rupert, when you are entering in term information, you select your Academic Status at the time you took the course, not your current Academic Status. For instance, the first term you took at a University, you will mark as "Freshman" even though you might now have a BA.

Hey Rupert, when you are entering in term information, you select your Academic Status at the time you took the course, not your current Academic Status. For instance, the first term you took at a University, you will mark as "Freshman" even though you might now have a BA.
Thanks for enlightening me!

Regarding AP credits, should I input S or CR for course grade? On my college transcript, it is listed as S. But which one is more appropriate?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does the recommendation section look like? Is it questions or is it just copy and paste a letter? I would like to let the people know what they are getting into when I ask.

Regarding AP credits, should I input S or CR for course grade? On my college transcript, it is listed as S. But which one is more appropriate?

Hi Rupert, you could really go with either one but since your transcript lists it as "S," then go ahead and use that for the grade.

What does the recommendation section look like? Is it questions or is it just copy and paste a letter? I would like to let the people know what they are getting into when I ask.

Both, actually. They will fill out a ratings form first, and after will be able to either upload a letter (a file up to 2MB) or enter what would be entered in a letter of reference in a "Comments" box.

After application is verified, does it have to be mailed and received by a school in order to get a supplemental?

PharmCAS does not say that my application is mailed yet, but I already received supplemental invite from one school. Weird. Maybe PharmCAS has delays updating the status of the application??

PharmCAS does not say that my application is mailed yet, but I already received supplemental invite from one school. Weird. Maybe PharmCAS has delays updating the status of the application??

Updates are completed in real time in the application. Each program makes a determination on when they are ready to receive supplemental applications. Also, your programs have electronic access to your application once you have submitted your application.

Updates are completed in real time in the application. Each program makes a determination on when they are ready to receive supplemental applications. Also, your programs have electronic access to your application once you have submitted your application.

Thank you!

Quick question, on the extra cir. section when it says how many hours I have for this experience and the average amount of hours weekly.....for clubs, is that asking for service hours specifically or is it asking for like how many hours I have spent with anything relating to the club throughout the time I've been a member. Like I am part of some service based clubs, so do I just put my service hours for it or the hours I spent going to meetings, fundraisers etc. for the club? And what about clubs that are not service based, do I just say how many hours I spent going to meetings and such for those too?

Also, for work experience.....I've tutored individual students before for pay so do I put each individual student as an employee or do I just put in one of them since the job for both is the same, as in all I'm just tutoring.

Today another school contacted me and confirmed that they received all the materials and now my application is going to admissions committee. PharmCAS still says that my application is not mailed yet :D

I just went to Thomas Jefferson's open house yesterday and learned because of rolling admissions and my PCATs not being taken until January, by the time they get my scores they can have all their spots filled by then /: I have everything else finished on my application though. Anyone else planning on taking their PCAT's in January?

I just went to Thomas Jefferson's open house yesterday and learned because of rolling admissions and my PCATs not being taken until January, by the time they get my scores they can have all their spots filled by then /: I have everything else finished on my application though. Anyone else planning on taking their PCAT's in January?

I am taking another PCAT on january as well. But I am going to apply to many other schools for more opportunity.

Pharmcas says you can only list up to 10 honors or awards you have received. I have a few awards but I have also made the Dean's list every semester in College which means it would be over 10. So do I just leave some of the Dean's lists awards out? Have you all had similar situation?

Also, can you list your high school awards??

Pharmcas says you can only list up to 10 honors or awards you have received. I have a few awards but I have also made the Dean's list every semester in College which means it would be over 10. So do I just leave some of the Dean's lists awards out? Have you all had similar situation?

Also, can you list your high school awards??

If it were me, I would list Dean's List as one award & put in the comments (if there are any) the semesters it was awarded. Your GPA will also reflect this achievement, more or less. :)

I would not list high school awards unless they are unique. It seems like it would be obvious to an experienced adcom that you're trying to fluff to hide lack of substance. The exception would be if you are applying to a 0-6, where they expect most students to be straight out of high school. Relevant work experience, I would list even if it's pre-college.

(I read about a kid who helped his psychologist dad with an experiment regarding eye contact by suggesting the D&D Monster's Manual as a source. The kid now has his name on a publication in a prestigious UK science journal. I would list that, even though the kid was like 12.)

Quick question, on the extra cir. section when it says how many hours I have for this experience and the average amount of hours weekly.....for clubs, is that asking for service hours specifically or is it asking for like how many hours I have spent with anything relating to the club throughout the time I've been a member. Like I am part of some service based clubs, so do I just put my service hours for it or the hours I spent going to meetings, fundraisers etc. for the club? And what about clubs that are not service based, do I just say how many hours I spent going to meetings and such for those too?

Also, for work experience.....I've tutored individual students before for pay so do I put each individual student as an employee or do I just put in one of them since the job for both is the same, as in all I'm just tutoring.

You would list all hours you spent working on the club (meetings, etc. are fair game). Remember that some people are putting pre-pharm clubs that they were just members, so their only hours might be meetings. Try to figure a fair average for the weekly amount.

I would list tutoring as one job, rather than individual gigs per student. It would look less disjointed that way and truly show your commitment over time. When I tutored for pay, it was through a school, so I put the school as my employer... I'm not entirely sure what I'd put for the employer if I was just freelance, but I might put something like "Independent Consultant."

I e-submitted my app 3 days ago on the 14th, and I payed with credit card, but instead of American Express, I selected Visa... The names, number, addresses, are the same, but the card type was different. It still shows it went through.."received".. Will it be ok? :|

I e-submitted my app 3 days ago on the 14th, and I payed with credit card, but instead of American Express, I selected Visa... The names, number, addresses, are the same, but the card type was different. It still shows it went through.."received".. Will it be ok? :|
You should definitely call PharmCAS Monday morning and let them know what happened

Not to sound rude, but you had plenty of time to verify your payment details? Pay more attention next time.

In your case, you should not have to worry. They should send you a confirm. email once your payment goes through. If you did not receive the email, it means your payment info is incorrect. Credit card payments clear instantly.

Not to sound rude, but you had plenty of time to verify your payment details? Pay more attention next time.

In your case, you should not have to worry. They should send you a confirm. email once your payment goes through. If you did not receive the email, it means your payment info is incorrect. Credit card payments clear instantly.

I guess so. Called them and they said itll go through regardless of the credit card compact you choose. Lawls
Congratulations!

You have successfully e-submitted your application to PharmCAS.

You may login to your application at any time and review the "Status" box to view the status of your application materials at PharmCAS. Upon processing your payment and receiving your required official transcripts from all U.S. colleges and universities attended, PharmCAS will verify your course work and forward your verified application data to all of your designated schools. The schools, however, may not begin to review your application for several weeks.

You can also check your PharmCAS application status by logging in to the new PharmCAS Mobile portal. This new mobile portal is an addition to the PharmCAS Applicant portal - it uses the same login information; it has been designed to provide you with on-the-go information on your smartphone, to better track the status of your PharmCAS application. <https://portal.pharmcas.org/mobile> You can add a link to the PharmCAS Mobile portal from your home screen by visiting < https://portal.pharmcas.org/mobile> and selecting 'Add to Home Screen' in the bookmarks menu.

In addition to the PharmCAS application, schools may require you to send a supplemental application and fee directly to the institution. Contact the institution directly to obtain supplemental instructions or application, if applicable. You must complete all PharmCAS requirements before your application will be processed and reviewed.

PharmCAS Staff

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Is it ok if I click e-submit if my recommenders have not yet finished writing the LORs? It will probably take them another three weeks. But I want to hit e-sumbit now in order to have my GPA calculations ready.

Also, can I add new recommenders once I have hit e-submit?

Is it ok if I click e-submit if my recommenders have not yet finished writing the LORs? It will probably take them another three weeks. But I want to hit e-sumbit now in order to have my GPA calculations ready.

Also, can I add new recommenders once I have hit e-submit?

yes. You can add new LORS after you e submit. I can't emphasize this enough. You definitely do not need to have every letter in before you e submit. Any LORs received after e submissions will automatically be forwarded to the schools you chose. :thumbup:

I almost got into pharmacy school last year and am re-applying.

Can I use the same PharmCas essay I used last year? Also, I am embarrassed to ask for my lor's again. How can I go about lor's without having to keep asking. Should I obtain copies that my supervisors/professors previously submitted?

I almost got into pharmacy school last year and am re-applying.

Can I use the same PharmCas essay I used last year? Also, I am embarrassed to ask for my lor's again. How can I go about lor's without having to keep asking. Should I obtain copies that my supervisors/professors previously submitted?

Your best bet would to just be honest and let them know your situation. they will understand. Not everyone gets admitted on their first try. Just tell them that you did not get accepted last cycle, tell them how you have improved your application since last cycle, and ask them for another letter.

You cannot SAVE copies of the LORs since they submit it directly to pharmcas. Also, if your essay was good enough to get you an interview, but not an acceptance, i'd consider making some edits to it but you can probably still use the overall format. :)

I applied to 4 schools. 3 of them require two LORs whereas one requires 3 LORS.
Which two out of the three LORS would the first three schools look at? Is it random?

Ive heard that its random, but ive also heard that schools will look at the 3rd one. But I dont really know, and I dont think anyone will unless they've been on an admissions committee.

I think it depends on the school. You will really have to ask if it is random. I know my top choice only requires 2 but I have 3. They said they'll look at EVERYTHING, so maybe an extra wouldn't hurt.

Hey guys,

Pharmcas does not send the materials to a recommender who is using Hotmail. I am wondering if this is also an issue with outlook. My professor uses outlook, which I think is similar to hotmail (because they both belong to microsoft live.com). What do you think?

Hey guys,

Pharmcas does not send the materials to a recommender who is using Hotmail. I am wondering if this is also an issue with outlook. My professor uses outlook, which I think is similar to hotmail (because they both belong to microsoft live.com). What do you think?

Dunno one of my recommenders had hotmail and she completed it fine

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Hello,

I have a really big problem with my PharmCas application. I submitted my application on 11/11/12. For the schools I'm applying for there was a deadline at 11/15/12 and 12/01/12.

Today I got an email from PharmCas saying I hadn't input my Summer classes. However at the time I had uploaded an August transcript (In August). But I was inputting the classes to PharmCas with a current transcript. So naturally the August transcript didn't have my Summer grades yet, but The current one I was using did.

I listed the Summer classes as Completed, rather than "Planned In Progress." So they must of checked my classes I inputted with the transcript I provided and seen an error, since on the transcript I provided they weren't up to date.

They sent me an email saying please respond in 2 days, with either Option 1 : Send an Official Transcript. Option 2: To Edit My coursework I Inputted from completed to planned in progress.

D=. My question is if either option affect my submission date time of 11/11/12. Therefore making me miss my deadlines for 11/15 and 12/01. Because under e-submitted applications, it says 11/11/12 right now. But If I edit it, will this change to 12/07/12 and make me miss my application deadlines for these schools? Please help D= I've been trying to contact PharmCas but can't seem to get through. I've already emailed them.

Thank you

yep, i took mine on november 2nd, the scores were released to pharmcas by pearson on december 3rd and theyre still not up. i called them and they are doing a 'manual search' to locate my score lol. pharmcas is a joke.

Did they ever find your scores through the manual search and post them?

They said it'll take a few days so I'll check back with them by the end of the week I suppose. They did the same exact thing the first time I took the PCAT, I realized my scores weren't posted even after 30 days of it being released by Pearson... PharmCAS said they lost the file containing my score.. it was a huge mess lol. It should be relatively easy to get since Pearson sends our scores to them electronically.. not sure how they would lose an electronic file.. multiple times. Oh well lol

Im gonna be applying to pharmacy school(s) next year an know alot about the PharmCAS but still some things Im not 100% sure on. Is there a thread/blog or another source to read to better help me understand how PharmCAS works? I just dont want to wait until the last minute to get everything ready.

Thank you

Im gonna be applying to pharmacy school(s) next year an know alot about the PharmCAS but still some things Im not 100% sure on. Is there a thread/blog or another source to read to better help me understand how PharmCAS works? I just dont want to wait until the last minute to get everything ready.

Thank you

My best advice is what you were alluding to already: don't wait until the last minute. The application opens up in July. The earliest you would need to submit your application would be around November depending on the school(s). That gives you plenty of time, but fill out as much as you can at first, then update as needed if anything needs to be added or changed. If you are applying to any schools with rolling admissions (which they will note on their website) you should apply early in the process, but the school may not even start accepting apps until October or later. If none of the schools you apply to do rolling admissions, submit your application about a month in advance if you can. That way you have time in case anything goes terribly wrong, but you are not so early that something important would change that you need to alter on the application.

Also, I had to submit transcripts to PharmCAS from 3 different institutions. 1 of the transcripts got lost in the mail, which set me back about a month by the time I realized it and could send another. Time-intensive parts of the application like this should be done early so you can account for setbacks.

If you have any questions as you are completing PharmCAS, refer to the instructions that are provided on their website. It's packed with info on just about everything you could have a question about. If that doesn't answer a question, post on one of the threads like this. It's likely someone on here has an answer for you!

My best advice is what you were alluding to already: don't wait until the last minute. The application opens up in July. The earliest you would need to submit your application would be around November depending on the school(s). That gives you plenty of time, but fill out as much as you can at first, then update as needed if anything needs to be added or changed. If you are applying to any schools with rolling admissions (which they will note on their website) you should apply early in the process, but the school may not even start accepting apps until October or later. If none of the schools you apply to do rolling admissions, submit your application about a month in advance if you can. That way you have time in case anything goes terribly wrong, but you are not so early that something important would change that you need to alter on the application.

Also, I had to submit transcripts to PharmCAS from 3 different institutions. 1 of the transcripts got lost in the mail, which set me back about a month by the time I realized it and could send another. Time-intensive parts of the application like this should be done early so you can account for setbacks.

If you have any questions as you are completing PharmCAS, refer to the instructions that are provided on their website. It's packed with info on just about everything you could have a question about. If that doesn't answer a question, post on one of the threads like this. It's likely someone on here has an answer for you!
Yeah actually 3 of the schools I am applying to do rolling admission. So since Pharmcas opens us in July(same month as I will be taking my PCAT) I should get all materials ready by then and just updated any added classes and PCAT score? This way it will be there once universities start looking at applications. That that sound about right? Ill look more into it in advance.