Official 2013-2014 Rheumatology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many programs is everyone applying too? I am thinking 20-30 but I am not sure if that isn't enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking to apply to 20-30... 50 sounds like a lot...i guess it can't hurt to apply to more places...

Have you all submitted your applications already?

I also applied in around 40,just to be on safe side

I wonder when we will hear about interviews. I ended up applying to 41 programs but I might add a few more. Is everyone from a University program? I wonder how competitive Rheumatology will be this year. I am the only one from my program applying.

Wow. I applied to 14 programs but will consider adding more.
Does everyone expect a very competitive cycle this year?
I applied very regionally (only 2 programs outside of the east coast) so that narrows down my programs quite a bit.

How many of the programs have downloaded your application? Only about 5-10% of programs that I applied to have downloaded my application.

Yea only a few of my applications have been downloaded like 20%. I don't think we should be hearing until next about interviews but you never know.

hello all - seems like about 40-50% of programs I applied to have uploaded. Havent heard from anywhere but I guess its only day 3. I think last year ppl began hearing from programs by week 2.

Yea only a few of my applications have been downloaded like 20%. I don't think we should be hearing until next about interviews but you never know.

hello all - seems like about 40-50% of programs I applied to have uploaded. Havent heard from anywhere but I guess its only day 3. I think last year ppl began hearing from programs by week 2.

It can take several days, with the computer running 24/7 to just download all the apps, nevermind reviewing them. Just relax...it will happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does it take so long to download applications? Do you know about the application process? I am curious on how they actually decide who to interview. We all basically have same statistics. I mean does a USMLE of 99 really demonstrate how someone will become a better rheumatologist than someone with a 90. What about LOR? Who isn't going to get a LOR that doesn't say something positive? I just feel there is much mystery going into the process.

Why does it take so long to download applications?
Because they're huge and everybody's doing it at the same time.

Do you know about the application process? I am curious on how they actually decide who to interview. We all basically have same statistics. I mean does a USMLE of 99 really demonstrate how someone will become a better rheumatologist than someone with a 90.
There are as many ways to screen/review/invite applicants as there are people who do it. You've done what you can at this point, just relax.

What about LOR? Who isn't going to get a LOR that doesn't say something positive?
You'd be surprised how many lukewarm LORs I've read. And FTR, a lukewarm or good LOR is basically a bad LOR.

I just feel there is much mystery going into the process.
You've already done this at least once. There should be less mystery this time.

Does anyone know what was the match percentage for rheumatology last year? I completed residency 2 years ago and do not have any publication. Do I have a chance?

I understand there were few openings post match last year. Does anyone have a copy of the list of the matched/unmatched results from the past few years? otherwise, where can I find it?

Programs still have not downloaded my application....anyone know when usually interviews go out... is it in Aug?

Is there a rheumatology programs rank list?

Does anyone know if these programs usually download applications late -- I submitted my app July 15 -- so far these programs have not retrieved my application.

Have not retrieved:

Northwestern
Univ of MD Medical Center
Univ of Alabama
Univ of Louisville
Wake Forest
UCLA
Stanford
UCSF

Also, if you are receiving interviews from programs ... please post here so we know if programs have started sending invitations for interview.

No interviews yet.

can people start naming programs that have sent formal interviews... thanks!

Ok I will start the ball rolling. Kindly copy and paste to updated list.

University of Nebraska 7/23

Can I ask you, was that the only date they sent or that was the one you chose?

I believe that is the date they got the interview invite.

I am joining the thread late...

I applied to 30 programs.
Still waiting on the following programs to download:
Northwestern, UAB, Wake, Bringham and Womens, Rush, BU, UMD, Miami

No invitations yet.

I'm posting for my fiancé. She got an interview invitation from Drexel University:thumbup:

Good lucks to all

Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
U penn 7/24

I apply mainly on the east cost and the Midwest. Do not have much info for the west and the south.

Just got an interview to Dartmouth today. I applied for many programs because I'm IMG with visa... Any one else IMG applying? Good luck to everyone!

I just got an interview at Emory, my first. That makes the running list...

Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
Drexel University 7/23
U penn 7/24
Emory 7/24
Dartmouth 7/24

hey how did emory contact you? via email or phone?

Time to add to the list
Johns Hopkins 7/19
Emory 7/24

just consolidating the above lists, thanks for the updates.

Johns Hopkins 7/19
Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
Drexel University 7/23
U penn 7/24
Emory 7/24
Dartmouth 7/24

Adding Vanderbilt.. contacted by email this evening.

Johns Hopkins 7/19
Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
Drexel University 7/23
U penn 7/24
Emory 7/24
Dartmouth 7/24
Vanderbilt 7/25

Hi guys! Do you have a lot of Rheum research on your CV? I've always wanted to do nephrology (so glad I changed my mind!!!) and the only few things I have on my CV are nephro oriented... Any thoughts? I know rheum is not the most competitive fellowship ever, but looking at the top programs and their fellows' previous experience, it kind of made me think research is very important... Cause their fellows have tons of research experience, including basic research. Any thoughts?

Added UCSD

Johns Hopkins 7/19
Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
Drexel University 7/23
U penn 7/24
Emory 7/24
Dartmouth 7/24
Vanderbilt 7/25
UCSD 7/25

Last edited:
Has anyone received interviews from the above schools after the initial post made... im wondering if these programs are going to be sending out more invites after the initial.

I am adding tufts. Contacted by email.

Johns Hopkins 7/19
Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
Drexel University 7/23
U penn 7/24
Emory 7/24
Dartmouth 7/24
Vanderbilt 7/25
UCSD 7/25
Tufts 7/26

Has anyone received interviews from the above schools after the initial post made... im wondering if these programs are going to be sending out more invites after the initial.

I didn't get anything from those... I believe some programs do second reviews of their applications and may call people to interview after the 1st invite is sent... I just don't know how often this happens...

Just got one more

Johns Hopkins 7/19
Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
Drexel University 7/23
U penn 7/24
Emory 7/24
Dartmouth 7/24
Vanderbilt 7/25
UCSD 7/25
Tufts 7/26
Oregon 7/26

I didn't get anything from those... I believe some programs do second reviews of their applications and may call people to interview after the 1st invite is sent... I just don't know how often this happens...

I agree with the above. I did get interviews from the above several days after being posted in the forum.

Johns Hopkins 7/19
Vermont 7/20
Nebraska 7/23
Drexel University 7/23
U penn 7/24
Emory 7/24
Dartmouth 7/24
Vanderbilt 7/25
UCSD 7/25
Louisville 7/25
Tufts 7/26
Oregon 7/26

Hopefully this week will bring more interview invites for us!

Anything over the weekend for anyone?

I just invitation from Dartmouth today. A week after initial one.