** Official 2013-2014 Underdog Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats!!! Wow UVA is an awesome school!! It seems like you have a super awesome application cycle this year, what's your secret?? :O

lol. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This dude is obviously just trying to brag/be a pretentious douchelord.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to update everyone! After 8 solid rejections, I just got my first interview invite - A&M in Texas (Im a TX resident). My coworker said my face was utterly priceless. :D

To recap:
GPA: 3.2/3.2
MCAT: 29

Applied to ~40 schools.

Hopefully this is the start of a few more to come! :)

CONGRATS! It's the best feeling in the world to get your first interview :].

Hopefully you (and I!) turn those interviews into acceptances (and have the actual best feeling in the world :D. )

Just wanted to update everyone! After 8 solid rejections, I just got my first interview invite - A&M in Texas (Im a TX resident). My coworker said my face was utterly priceless. :D

To recap:
GPA: 3.2/3.2
MCAT: 29

Applied to ~40 schools.

Hopefully this is the start of a few more to come! :)

Congrats!

:clap: love checking in on here and seeing such exciting news! Good luck in all of these upcoming interviews!

I am just now finding this thread and it makes me happy since Im an underdog!
MCAT: 1st (10,7,10) 2nd (9,8,8)
GPA: overall (3.9) science (3.7)
So far 1 interview at one of my instate schools and the rest Im still under consideration for interview

Yeah I def fit in here.

cgpa 3.4
sgpa 3.2
mcat 34

I had one interview at a state school but I don't think I did very well :( I have an interview at my other (top 25) state school coming up but I know I'm a marginal applicant and this school interviews most of their in-state applicants. I'm trying to convince myself that they wouldn't waste their time with me and I really do have a shot but it's difficult since friends who attend the school all had higher MCAT scores and 3.8+ gpas :scared:

Am I considered an underdog? I want to make sure i qualify before i give any input

cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.1
gGPA 3.9 post bacc certificate, non-SMP

MCAT 31

Am I considered an underdog? I want to make sure i qualify before i give any input

cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.1
gGPA 3.9 post bacc certificate, non-SMP

MCAT 31

You fit the GPA <3.2 criteria...

We basically have the same stats, congrats on the turn around. :)

First acceptance to Meharry today!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck to all the Underdogs!

I was an underdog here on SDN, now an attending in one of the most competitive specialties - EM. I wish you all the best this application season. :)

well....got a secondary from UCSD 2 months after I applied. Just when I thought I was done writing lol

still pretty stoked I made it past the screening. Thought I was for sure screened out

You fit the GPA <3.2 criteria...

We basically have the same stats, congrats on the turn around. :)

Just wanted to give some advice. I applied last year and got no interviews. After completing a one year post-bacc, I have gotten over 18 MD iis and 5 MD acceptances so far. There is still hope if things don't work out this cycle

On SDN I consider myself an underdog. cGPA 3.45 sGPA <3.3 MCAT 32 (11/10/11) applied to ~ 30 schools and successfully complete at ~24 by mid August. 3 IIs one waitlist and ~5 rejections. Trying hard to remain hopeful, but already beginning to make plans for next cycle... It begins in only 8 months!! Lol.

Been waiting to post here for a while, just wanted some good news first. Thanks to everyone who has been consistently posting, definitely helped me through the wait.

cGPA/sGPA<3.3 as an Engineering major
MCAT>35
Some interesting/ unique ECs, lots of volunteering, very very little research.
30 MD secondaries, no DO
5II, 4 of which I've already had.

So far two wait lists, and I just got my first acceptance to a school I'm completely stoked on.

Been waiting to post here for a while, just wanted some good news first. Thanks to everyone who has been consistently posting, definitely helped me through the wait.

cGPA/sGPA<3.3 as an Engineering major
MCAT>35
Some interesting/ unique ECs, lots of volunteering, very very little research.
30 MD secondaries, no DO
5II, 4 of which I've already had.

So far two wait lists, and I just got my first acceptance to a school I'm completely stoked on.
nice! Congrats!

Another MD II today, at Wayne State! I was actually rejected pre-secondary here, but appealed the classification of my graduate work and, well, here I am :)

cGPA (undergrad) 3.32
sGPA 3.23
cGPA (postbac) 3.7
MCAT 31

11 interviews, 1 acceptance (U Minn) so far. Believe in yourself...if you truly want to become a physician and have demonstrated this (not just jumped through the hoops) there is always hope!

I consider myself an underdog. 3.97 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA, Mexican, 27 MCAT. 3 interviews so far: The Ohio State University, Temple University, and Meharry Medical College. Applied to 11 MD schools and 1 DO school (so few because I figured I would have to reapply and wanted to cut my losses).

Last edited:
So too late for me to edit my post, but my MCAT was 27 (8/9/10).

What the h is a LizzyM and how do you calculate it?
MCAT+GPA(10) = LizzyM.

For example, the score LostinLift reported could be 33 + 3.5(10) = 68. Of course there are many other possible combinations... so of course a 4.0 and 28 would probably not be looked at the same as a 3.0 and 38. However, assuming no real extremes, It's a good general tool to surmise competitiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What the h is a LizzyM and how do you calculate it?

It's a formula used to calculate your "competitiveness" for med school. Different medical schools have a different values they prefer, but >68is desirable.

You calculate it by taking your GPA X 10 + your MCAT score.

MCAT+GPA(10) = LizzyM.

For example, the score LostinLift reported could be 33 + 3.5(10) = 68. Of course there are many other possible combinations... so of course a 4.0 and 28 would probably not be looked at the same as a 3.0 and 38. However, assuming no real extremes, It's a good general tool to surmise competitiveness.
Oh, lol. My score is a 66.7 then. :/

I'm right around there as well. I think it's a fine borderline-underdoggy score (as long as you're a bit more balanced than me :LOL:).
I'm a 27 and a 3.97 lol. Pretty opposite ends of the spectrum haha

I'm a 27 and a 3.97 lol. Pretty opposite ends of the spectrum haha
Haha. Exact opposites! I personally think GPA means much more, so I think you should be pretty good. :D I would be surprised if you don't have/didn't get at least 3-5+ interviews (assuming ~20 schools designated).

Haha. Exact opposites! I personally think GPA means much more, so I think you should be pretty good. :D I would be surprised if you don't have/didn't get at least 3-5+ interviews (assuming ~20 schools designated).
I applied to only 12 :( And have received 3 interviews to date. Hopefully I get 2 more! I may have to reapply, but if I do, I will reapply with a better MCAT at least!

I applied to only 12 :( And have received 3 interviews to date. Hopefully I get 2 more! I may have to reapply, but if I do, I will reapply with a better MCAT at least!
Well, nothing wrong with 12 schools if they're the ones you want to go to. No need to put more if they're places you wouldn't want to go! I'm sure you'll get plenty more interviews before the season is up (and at least one acceptance from your 3 current interviews). Good luck!

Well, nothing wrong with 12 schools if they're the ones you want to go to. No need to put more if they're places you wouldn't want to go! I'm sure you'll get plenty more interviews before the season is up (and at least one acceptance from your 3 current interviews). Good luck!
Well 10 are schools I would love to go to. The other two are okay. I would probably just reapply if I were only accepted to those since I applied so late. And one of my interviews is from one of those 2 schools, but the other two are from my TOP choices. It's all up in the air! Thanks though! And same to you!

MCAT+GPA(10) = LizzyM.

I wonder though is 4.0 28 worse/better than a 3.0 38? Hmm

I think the first scenario is better. While below average for matriculants, a 28 is still an "average" MCAT. A 3.0 is a pretty rough GPA for an MD school.

I personally think a 4.0/28 is better, since it takes much more effort for most people to get a 4.0 over four years of college versus a few months of studying and some (significant) luck for a 38. At least, that's my opinion on the MCAT

However, I'm closer to the second one... so I hope a 3.0/38 is, in actuality, more favorable :laugh:. A 28 is ~ 65th percentile on the MCAT, so it's really not that bad of a score... However, a 3.0 is probably a bit below mean GPAs for hard science majors at most schools.

This underdog got an II today! :D Keep the faith guys, it's totally possible!

Reactions: 2 users
Looking at the panic thread has been depressing, so I thought I'd post here to re-establish my hope and give you guys some. Got my third interview coming up with my 29 MCAT. Keep the faith, we can pull this off! I'm sure of it.

Looking at the panic thread has been depressing, so I thought I'd post here to re-establish my hope and give you guys some. Got my third interview coming up with my 29 MCAT. Keep the faith, we can pull this off! I'm sure of it.

Congrats!! I just got my third interview invite as well, GPA under 3.2. Just keep on working, staying busy, stay off SDN as much as possible :)

Last edited:
Underdogs! You're gonna do great :)

Qualifications to post in this thread: former underdog

I personally think a 4.0/28 is better, since it takes much more effort for most people to get a 4.0 over four years of college versus a few months of studying and some (significant) luck for a 38. At least, that's my opinion on the MCAT

However, I'm closer to the second one... so I hope a 3.0/38 is, in actuality, more favorable :laugh:. A 28 is ~ 65th percentile on the MCAT, so it's really not that bad of a score... However, a 3.0 is probably a bit below mean GPAs for hard science majors at most schools.

Except in the case of grade inflation. I would go with the higher MCAT score.

I got my second interview invite of the cycle this week from a school where I was complete in early August. Now I don't know what to think about the rest of the schools that I haven't heard from.

Except in the case of grade inflation. I would go with the higher MCAT score.

Yeah the MCAT is the great equalizer especially when it comes to schools that either do grade inflation or grade deflation. Someone who gets a 3.5 GPA as an engineering major at MIT might end up with a 36 MCAT while someone else who also had a 3.5 GPA but was a business major at Podunk U and scored a 20something on the MCAT are gonna look very different to adcoms, despite having the same average GPA