** Official 2013-2014 Underdog Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey ya'll, I got into my top choice private MD with a 3.5 GPA, 25 MCAT; Exceptional ECs, LORs, and essays (so I'm told).
I was also a reapplicant and limited to schools I could apply to with FAP but I made it work!
Just know it's possible!!
Best of luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I have a 3.4 GPA and 31 MCAT. Great ECs (serving AmeriCorps + other longterm clinical activities) Got on 2 MD waitlists early in the cycle and have no upcoming II since. The anxiety of having to reapply is really starting to dawn on me.

So fellow underdogs: is it possible to get into MD without having to do an SMP, I know my GPA is what is holding me back but SMP's are just so darn expensive :[

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 3.4 GPA and 31 MCAT. Great ECs (serving AmeriCorps + other longterm clinical activities) Got on 2 MD waitlists early in the cycle and have no upcoming II since. The anxiety of having to reapply is really starting to dawn on me.

So fellow underdogs: is it possible to get into MD without having to do an SMP, I know my GPA is what is holding me back but SMP's are just so darn expensive :[

When I held a lab tech job at a well-sized research institution they let me take classes for free. If you're looking for a GPA boost this might be a route, albeit indirect, to take classes while still gaining income and having a decent job. Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)

Same GPA here, and similar situation. I really don't want to do an SMP unless I absolutely have too; I'm just paying off my undergrad loans now...

Reactions: 1 users
I forgot to update this, but I've only had 1 MD interview, and it resulted in an acceptance! I've heard complete silence from the rest of the schools, but all you need is one acceptance!
Stats: 3.88GPA
MCAT: 28 - 8PS/9VR/11BS
Keep your heads up underdogs!

Reactions: 11 users
Hey, I have been looking at this thread for a while and I can finally post a successful story. Graduated my undergrad with a 2.8 gpa. I almost quit on trying to pursue medicine, but somehow managed to work up the guts to give this long and expensive application process a fair shot after putting in some work to make myself a better applicant. I didn't do a post-bacc or traditional smp program. I found a school where I could afford to take higher lvl science courses while working part time. Had to retake orgo and bio because I had gotten three Ds on my transcript and a few Cs. Any pre-med with my transcript would cry but tears were not going to correct that awful transcript. So after about 11 classes (10 As and 1 A-) after graduation (2 years including repeated classes/no summer courses), I applied with a 3.04 BCPM and 3.07 cum gpa. Took the mcat twice - 29 (8PS/9V/12BS) was my highest. With these low stats I was hesitant to apply but I gambled on my strong points: amazing recommendations, great work experience/ research experience, and consistent extra-curricular activities. This is my first time applying and so far I have gotten 9 interview invites and 1 acceptance!! I applied to about 24 schools (all of them MD schools in chicago/ohio/NY/CT/Mass/ PA) still haven't heard back from 7. I have learned that you should focus on making yourself into an interesting applicant if you are worried about your numbers. So don't get turned off by your stats. You never know. I hope this helps inspire people in similar situations. It took more time to get into med school than the traditional route, but the experiences I have gained from these last few years are priceless.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey, I have been looking at this thread for a while and I can finally post a successful story. Graduated my undergrad with a 2.8 gpa. I almost quit on trying to pursue medicine, but somehow managed to work up the guts to give this long and expensive application process a fair shot after putting in some work to make myself a better applicant. I didn't do a post-bacc or traditional smp program. I found a school where I could afford to take higher lvl science courses while working part time. Had to retake orgo and bio because I had gotten three Ds on my transcript and a few Cs. Any pre-med with my transcript would cry but tears were not going to correct that awful transcript. So after about 11 classes (10 As and 1 A-) after graduation (2 years including repeated classes/no summer courses), I applied with a 3.04 BCPM and 3.07 cum gpa. Took the mcat twice - 29 (8PS/9V/12BS) was my highest. With these low stats I was hesitant to apply but I gambled on my strong points: amazing recommendations, great work experience/ research experience, and consistent extra-curricular activities. This is my first time applying and so far I have gotten 9 interview invites and 1 acceptance!! I applied to about 24 schools (all of them MD schools in chicago/ohio/NY/CT/Mass/ PA) still haven't heard back from 7. I have learned that you should focus on making yourself into an interesting applicant if you are worried about your numbers. So don't get turned off by your stats. You never know. I hope this helps inspire people in similar situations. It took more time to get into med school than the traditional route, but the experiences I have gained from these last few years are priceless.

I'm having one of those moments where I am worried I may not get in anywhere. And this made me feel so much better. Thank you for sharing.

I did something similar took some classes at a school in my hometown where I could afford classes and live at home while also working part time. Brought my gpa up from a 3.2 to a 3.4 with a 31 MCAT. so far 6 interviews and 2 waitlist but no acceptances.

Was feeling pretty hopeless but this made me feel better!!

This is an amazing story. Congrats!

Wow this is very inspirational! Congratulations on achieving your dream! It must have taken some incredible commitment and perseverance to go through all that you have and I just want to say that you are truly amazing!

How is this possible! Congrats!!

My background:
3.3 cGPA/3.1 sGPA/31 MCAT (10/11/10)
An "over-represented" minority
CA resident, graduated from a UC

Will be attending a MD (out of state) program this fall.

By SDN and frankly, statistical conventions (accepted into a class of 80 out of 4000+ applications), there is no way an applicant like me should have made it. However, screw conventions. You want med school, you need to show that you want it bad by going beast mode. Two years ago, I felt beat and ready to give up. I had consecutive quarters where I got <3.0, I hadn't even completed some of my med school pre-reqs because I was so beat down. The MCAT? Yeah right.

I took a few months to do some soul-searching, maybe even research a few alternative careers. However, those who loved and supported me knew better. They knew how badly I had wanted this (although I floundered spectacularly in undergrad to make my life overly difficult). I did research. I published. I dedicated myself to clinical volunteering. Community service. I sought out leadership to grow myself not only as a future physician and applicant, but also as a person. I forged strong and hopefully lifelong relationships with my physician mentors who wrote incredibly strong (and in my opinion, undeserved) letters of rec. I enrolled in a post-bacc and proceeded to study my ass off to get strong grades. I spent 3 months studying for the MCAT while taking classes. Ended up with a 31, but was disappointed and contemplated retaking to get a higher score due to my low GPA.

Then came the application cycle. Had 15 people read my PS and tear it apart. Carefully crafted my application to reflect the best aspects of what I could bring to the table for each school. Got frustrated because one of my letters of rec was delayed and wasn't actually complete until the end of August (late by SDN standards for my stats). Got 4 DO interviews, attended 2, got accepted to both.

Got rejected from 20 MD schools. Interviewed at 1 that decided to give me a chance. Got the acceptance call last Friday. Proceeded to collapse and feel the weight of the world lift off my shoulders.

Being an underdog sucks. However, I truly believe that I've grown to be a better person and hopefully a better future physician for it. If I had been focused from the get-go, get a great GPA and great MCAT and "breeze" through this entire pre-med process, then who knows what kind of person I would have become? So for all of you underdogs in this thread, hold your head up. Give the ADCOMs a reason to want to meet you, because if you're here, it's probably not because you wowed anyone with your numbers.

Reactions: 15 users
My background:

By SDN and frankly, statistical conventions (accepted into a class of 80 out of 4000+ applications), there is no way an applicant like me should have made it. However, screw conventions. You want med school, you need to show that you want it bad by going beast mode. Two years ago, I felt beat and ready to give up. I had consecutive quarters where I got <3.0, I hadn't even completed some of my med school pre-reqs because I was so beat down. The MCAT? Yeah right.

I took a few months to do some soul-searching, maybe even research a few alternative careers. However, those who loved and supported me knew better. They knew how badly I had wanted this (although I floundered spectacularly in undergrad to make my life overly difficult). I did research. I published. I dedicated myself to clinical volunteering. Community service. I sought out leadership to grow myself not only as a future physician and applicant, but also as a person. I forged strong and hopefully lifelong relationships with my physician mentors who wrote incredibly strong (and in my opinion, undeserved) letters of rec. I enrolled in a post-bacc and proceeded to study my ass off to get strong grades. I spent 3 months studying for the MCAT while taking classes. Ended up with a 31, but was disappointed and contemplated retaking to get a higher score due to my low GPA.

Then came the application cycle. Had 15 people read my PS and tear it apart. Carefully crafted my application to reflect the best aspects of what I could bring to the table for each school. Got frustrated because one of my letters of rec was delayed and wasn't actually complete until the end of August (late by SDN standards for my stats). Got 4 DO interviews, attended 2, got accepted to both.

Got rejected from 20 MD schools. Interviewed at 1 that decided to give me a chance. Got the acceptance call last Friday. Proceeded to collapse and feel the weight of the world lift off my shoulders.

Being an underdog sucks. However, I truly believe that I've grown to be a better person and hopefully a better future physician for it. If I had been focused from the get-go, get a great GPA and great MCAT and "breeze" through this entire pre-med process, then who knows what kind of person I would have become? So for all of you underdogs in this thread, hold your head up. Give the ADCOMs a reason to want to meet you, because if you're here, it's probably not because you wowed anyone with your numbers.

It's scary how similar my stats are to yours. Currently on 2 MD waitlists, so thanks for keeping hope alive.

Just wanted to share my "underdog" success to encourage all to remain hopefull!
cGPA = 3.1
sGPA = 3.6
MCAT = 23 (it hurts to type): 6BS 7PS 10VR
LORs = stellar
ECs = many and varied (I am non-trad = 34 yrs old with 4 daughters; switching careers completely)
Rejected all over the place pre-interview. I received two interview invites, 1 MD and 1 DO.
Accepted MD to my dream school.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My background:

I see you are a Seahawks fan living in San Fransisco. Stay strong!

Also congrats on your acceptance :)

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to this site in terms of posting. Thank you to all of the other underdogs who continuously provide inspiring words for the rest of us!

Trying to be open, but not attached to outcome. Thanks for your support :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I use to lurk these threads all the time to find some kind of inspiration and now I can finally say that it's my turn. I graduated from undergrad in 2011 with a BCPM of around 2.9 and a cum of 3.25, with a couple F's and C's. My first MCAT was a 26 (6P/10V/10B). Applied, nothing of course. Retook the MCAT, got a 22 (6P/7V/9B). Retook the MCAT ended up with 27 (7P/10V/10B). Spent the year studying MCAT, shadowing, and volunteering. I weighed my options and concluded that SMP was the only way to go. Took the MCAT again, same score. At this point I had taken the MCAT four times. This is when I was starting to really despair, but I still had the SMP ahead of me.

I was married at the time (still am) so in order to do the SMP I moved away from my wife for the following school year. I hit the ground running, hard. There were times when I felt like I was doing all of this for nothing, that I wasn't going to be accepted anywhere, but I kept pushing forward. I got no love from my SMP or any school while I was in the SMP. Spring semester started and I bought the Berkeley Review books and practiced every single passage everyday after school. I also bought all of the AAMC passages including the new diagnostic ones. I was juggling that on top of SMP exams and there was that feeling of despair again. I finished the SMP strong and a week after graduating I would be taking the MCAT for the fifth time. I was told by people that based on my track record it would be near impossible to raise my MCAT. I took the MCAT and a few days later flew to Thailand. The day that the scores were released in the States, it would be around 4 AM in Thailand. I barely got any sleep that night. I finally decided to not wait until the morning. Sitting there staring at the computer screen so many things ran through my head and my heart was about to burst through my chest. Finally, I logged in. On the Fifth run, FIFTH, and being told it was going to be impossible I received a 34 (12P/10V/11B).

I sent in my applications, did the secondaries while I was in Thailand. I received my first interview invite while still in Thailand. I bought a nice tailored suit (it was so cheap in Bangkok) came back to the States and by the end I had interviewed at eight schools, 4 MD and 4 DO. I got my first acceptance to a DO school in October. And just received an MD acceptance to one of my top choice schools. I feel as though a great big stone has been lifted from my chest.

I had amazing help from my pre health advisor, professors, and family who were with me every step of the way. So to the people digging through these, looking for some glimmer of hope keep pushing for the dream!

Reactions: 12 users
I use to lurk these threads all the time to find some kind of inspiration and now I can finally say that it's my turn. I graduated from undergrad in 2011 with a BCPM of around 2.9 and a cum of 3.25, with a couple F's and C's. My first MCAT was a 26 (6P/10V/10B). Applied, nothing of course. Retook the MCAT, got a 22 (6P/7V/9B). Retook the MCAT ended up with 27 (7P/10V/10B). Spent the year studying MCAT, shadowing, and volunteering. I weighed my options and concluded that SMP was the only way to go. Took the MCAT again, same score. At this point I had taken the MCAT four times. This is when I was starting to really despair, but I still had the SMP ahead of me.

I was married at the time (still am) so in order to do the SMP I moved away from my wife for the following school year. I hit the ground running, hard. There were times when I felt like I was doing all of this for nothing, that I wasn't going to be accepted anywhere, but I kept pushing forward. I got no love from my SMP or any school while I was in the SMP. Spring semester started and I bought the Berkeley Review books and practiced every single passage everyday after school. I also bought all of the AAMC passages including the new diagnostic ones. I was juggling that on top of SMP exams and there was that feeling of despair again. I finished the SMP strong and a week after graduating I would be taking the MCAT for the fifth time. I was told by people that based on my track record it would be near impossible to raise my MCAT. I took the MCAT and a few days later flew to Thailand. The day that the scores were released in the States, it would be around 4 AM in Thailand. I barely got any sleep that night. I finally decided to not wait until the morning. Sitting there staring at the computer screen so many things ran through my head and my heart was about to burst through my chest. Finally, I logged in. On the Fifth run, FIFTH, and being told it was going to be impossible I received a 34 (12P/10V/11B).

I sent in my applications, did the secondaries while I was in Thailand. I received my first interview invite while still in Thailand. I bought a nice tailored suit (it was so cheap in Bangkok) came back to the States and by the end I had interviewed at eight schools, 4 MD and 4 DO. I got my first acceptance to a DO school in October. And just received an MD acceptance to one of my top choice schools. I feel as though a great big stone has been lifted from my chest.

I had amazing help from my pre health advisor, professors, and family who were with me every step of the way. So to the people digging through these, looking for some glimmer of hope keep pushing for the dream!

This is an amazing story. Congrats man, you earned it. I'm going to PM you some questions, if you wouldn't mind answering.

Damn, taking the MCAT 5 times. I applaud you sir.

Hey Underdogs, was browsing this and thought I'd copy/paste something I wrote in a WAMC thread last year. Hope my story gives you guys some inspiration - it is a tough road ahead, but it is DOABLE. Also, most of you are far better off than I was, so I have hope for a lot of you. I'm currently an MS3 and doing well. Good luck!

"I like to surf this site from time to time and this caught my attention. I wanted to provide some reality and hope, but I'll make it quick.

OP, the path will be long and painful. Schools want to be sure that you can handle the insane amount of coursework required to competently practice medicine. I graduated college a long time ago with a 2.4 GPA. Took the MCAT over and over again (back in the paper days when you still had only 2 shots per year to take it and the best I got was a 21. I, like you, had a compelling story that really impacted my school and life in general. Anyways, I didn't give up, and sometime after I graduated I went back to undergrad, took insane course loads for a year and half (all upper division science courses) and worked my GPA up to a 3.0. During the span of 5 years post undergrad, I worked my butt off to re-learn EVERYTHING, from the core pre-med science courses to the upper division courses. Took the MCAT after it was all said and done, scored a 32 (after several scored attempts much earlier). Anyways, right now I'm an MS2 at a highly ranked US MD school.

I didn't know about DO schools at the time - never used the site back in the day (I'm a non trad if you couldn't tell). But it is a good option that would've likely saved me a couple of years from the rebuilding process.

Anyways, the key is that you must be able to show you can handle medical school (not only the work, but the emotional baggage people develop while in there). Good luck, I hope it works out.

PS: I'm white and not disadvantaged"

Are you an URM?

Quick question for all you underdogs to know what it's like to not be so hot with your numbers...

cGPA 3.44 sGPA 3.6 MCAT 31 8ps/12v/11bs
ECs: tons of research, volunteering, only 75 shadowing hours

I'm instate Florida and have gotten 7 interview invites: USF/USA/FIU/Emory/FSU/FAU/UCF

But have been waitlisted or placed 'on hold' at almost all schools I've interviewed at (haven't heard from Emory, FAU)

What gives?! Am I interviewing poorly? Or is it the shadowing hours and low GPA? I'm so confused :(

looking to apply again if I don't get in this round I want to know what I should improve on.

Updated Post: 3.7+ GPA, sub30 MCAT, very limited clinical ECs. Interviewed at 75% of the schools I applied to, ended up with 1 DO and 1 MD acceptance that I know of.

Quick question for all you underdogs to know what it's like to not be so hot with your numbers...

I'm instate Florida and have gotten 7 interview invites: USF/USA/FIU/Emory/FSU/FAU/UCF

But have been waitlisted or placed 'on hold' at almost all schools I've interviewed at (haven't heard from Emory, FAU)

What gives?! Am I interviewing poorly? Or is it the shadowing hours and low GPA? I'm so confused :(

looking to apply again if I don't get in this round I want to know what I should improve on.

If you're getting a lot of IIs, chances are your stats and amt of ECs aren't scaring them off. Admissions decide if you should get an II, then your interviewers provide their opinions, and they (all) make a final decision. All Wls indicate it could be you're not standing out enough at your interviews, but it's impossible to say until you practice with folks.

If none of them end up biting in thr end, you can try calling to make appts with the schools to see why they didn't extend an acceptance later on. Also def. Strengthen your perceived "weaknesses!"

Apparently the avg amt of shadowing hrs is ~50 hrs but the total clinical hrs is closer to ~100

Or if you are currently working those ecs, consider sending post-int updates to schools that accept them. This might push you into an acceptance. Look at old threads for links to great examples. Gl! :)

If you're getting a lot of IIs, chances are your stats and amt of ECs aren't scaring them off. Admissions decide if you should get an II, then your interviewers provide their opinions, and they (all) make a final decision. All Wls indicate it could be you're not standing out enough at your interviews, but it's impossible to say until you practice with folks.

If none of them end up biting in thr end, you can try calling to make appts with the schools to see why they didn't extend an acceptance later on. Also def. Strengthen your perceived "weaknesses!"

Apparently the avg amt of shadowing hrs is ~50 hrs but the total clinical hrs is closer to ~100

Or if you are currently working those ecs, consider sending post-int updates to schools that accept them. This might push you into an acceptance. Look at old threads for links to great examples. Gl! :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond! super helpful! I have been sending updates with more EC's to mention but I could always do more. I never thought about standing out as much in an interview as answering the questions appropriately to ensure I come off as a passionate and empathetic potential physician. So I will work on this. Thank you so much!

Just wanted to share my "underdog" success to encourage all to remain hopefull!
cGPA = 3.1
sGPA = 3.6
MCAT = 23 (it hurts to type): 6BS 7PS 10VR
LORs = stellar
ECs = many and varied (I am non-trad = 34 yrs old with 4 daughters; switching careers completely)
Rejected all over the place pre-interview. I received two interview invites, 1 MD and 1 DO.
Accepted MD to my dream school.
Wow... Congrats! You got accepted to a M.D. school with a 6 in BS! That is a HUGE....

Good news is that FSU is an early program and movement will happen around april 15, which is earlier than most schools. Since they interview only about ~330-350 applicants, given their class size and the fact that people will turn down this option in april - your chances are excellent! As for UCF they accept about 2/3rd of the wait list, so if wait listed chances are good. Send in updates to FIU/ FAU if given the opportunity, they may be receptive to them. With all the in state interviews and given the fact that you have wait lists at schools with much movement , more likely than not you will get an acceptance at the end of this cycle. Even better from an instate school with instate tuition. Keep the hope alive you have good odds, better than most :)

Good news is that FSU is an early program and movement will happen around april 15, which is earlier than most schools. Since they interview only about ~330-350 applicants, given their class size and the fact that people will turn down this option in april - your chances are excellent! As for UCF they accept about 2/3rd of the wait list, so if wait listed chances are good. Send in updates to FIU/ FAU if given the opportunity, they may be receptive to them. With all the in state interviews and given the fact that you have wait lists at schools with much movement , more likely than not you will get an acceptance at the end of this cycle. Even better from an instate school with instate tuition. Keep the hope alive you have good odds, better than most :)

Thanks!!! I have been sending updates everywhere. I interview at UCF this Monday hoping to kill it. This really made my day, thanks for responding :)

Thanks!!! I have been sending updates everywhere. I interview at UCF this Monday hoping to kill it. This really made my day, thanks for responding :)

Best of luck! Don't forget to add schools to your FAFSA ASAP, even if wait listed! At least for FIU, the timing when FAFSA gets submitted will impact you chances of receiving a scholarship if accepted.

I just found this thread today so I am going to share my experience.

I have very good EC's (Said one interviewer)
MCAT 25 (11P, 6R, 8B) During practice exams I was scoring consistent (12-13P, 7-9R, 11-12B) I thought I would break the 30 mark... however it just didn't happen
GPA 3.96c 3.96s

I applied late in the cycle to only two IS schools. I don't want to leave the state and I didn't think it was worth sending my app out to many schools, because of my terrible MCAT.

Got rejected by one (after the secondary) (my current undergrad university.. OUCH!)
Got an interview from the other Jan 17th

Now I am waiting to hear back it has been 5 weeks post interview. Fingers crossed!!!!

I just found this thread today so I am going to share my experience.

I have very good EC's (Said one interviewer)
MCAT 25 (11P, 6R, 8B) During practice exams I was scoring consistent (12-13P, 7-9R, 11-12B) I thought I would break the 30 mark... however it just didn't happen
GPA 3.96c 3.96s

I applied late in the cycle to only two IS schools. I don't want to leave the state and I didn't think it was worth sending my app out to many schools, because of my terrible MCAT.

Got rejected by one (after the secondary) (my current undergrad university.. OUCH!)
Got an interview from the other Jan 17th

Now I am waiting to hear back it has been 5 weeks post interview. Fingers crossed!!!!

Thank you for sharing and Good luck on that 2nd school!!! Are you planning on retaking the MCAT?

Thank you for sharing and Good luck on that 2nd school!!! Are you planning on retaking the MCAT?

I am going to retake if I don't get in this year. I am a terrible statnderized test taker. I only got a 25 on my ACT, but I can kill class exams. It doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is.

I am afraid of doing bad on the exam again. I also considered early admission into the school I got an interview at next cycle, since they were not concerned about my MCAT and it is my dream school.

cGPA = 3.46
sGPA = 3.33
MCAT = 31
LORs = I've heard they're good.
ECs = Studied abroad, taught abroad, worked full-time in college, some other hobby-ish stuff
Applied mostly MD/PhD to a ton of different schools. I received three interview invites, one to my top choice. I was accepted by my second choice yesterday, wait listed at the school I liked the least and I'm still waiting to hear back from my number one. Never thought I'd get to this point.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!! I just got my third interview invite as well, GPA 3.19. Just keep on working, staying busy, stay off SDN as much as possible :)

What was your mcat like? My GPA is around there. Wayne State has a hard science majors compared to other instate schools.

I personally think a 4.0/28 is better, since it takes much more effort for most people to get a 4.0 over four years of college versus a few months of studying and some (significant) luck for a 38. At least, that's my opinion on the MCAT

However, I'm closer to the second one... so I hope a 3.0/38 is, in actuality, more favorable :laugh:. A 28 is ~ 65th percentile on the MCAT, so it's really not that bad of a score... However, a 3.0 is probably a bit below mean GPAs for hard science majors at most schools.

I think MCAT is a little bit better at judging because some professors can be easy and others hard. MCAT evens people out. GPA shows effort and whatnot, but I prefer MCAT because I have been screwed by professors before :/

What was your mcat like? My GPA is around there. Wayne State has a hard science majors compared to other instate schools.

35+, I was complete between end of September and Mid October. Ended up with 6 II so far, withdrew the rest after accepted at my first 2 interviews.

Accepted today to my top choice in-state (NY) school with 3.1 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 32 MCAT. I was told by an advisor that it would be "very difficult" for me to ever get into an allopathic school with my stats. Ha, take that!

Keep up the positive energy everyone - hard work and belief in yourself does pay off in the end!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today to my top choice in-state (NY) school with 3.1 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 32 MCAT. I was told by an advisor that it would be "very difficult" for me to ever get into an allopathic school with my stats. Ha, take that!

Keep up the positive energy everyone - hard work and belief in yourself does pay off in the end!

Nice! Congrats!

Another II today! I never thought this was actually possible.

What are y'all's thoughts on wait lists? I've seen some people say it's basically a rejection but others say that if the school tells you top tier then that's good, middle maybe, lower bad.

hi all

im a canadian resident having a hell of a time getting into medical school here, so Im thinking to branch out and try America
my mcat is 32 (10 PS/12VR/10BS)
cGPA: 3.65
ECs: Worked in basic science lab for 2+ years, done clinical research, presented my research, will have a 4th authorship on a paper upcoming and tons of volunteer work
do I have any chance of getting into an American school?

Definite underdog here.

I'm an american-born/canadian dual citizen URM and i'm probably only going to apply to american med schools in the next few years (canadian schools are insane). My gpa is pretty low at the moment (3.3) I haven't taken the MCAT yet (planning for January 2015 if possible) and I'm just starting to take my BCPM classes. I'm not a science major and it's been a long time since I stepped in a lab so I'm pretty nervous. I plan on taking a year off and doing americorps then applying when I finish that hopefully. It took a long time for me to even have the confidence to say that I wanted to be a doctor. I still haven't told most people around me including my family. I probably won't tell them until I have my MCAT/BCPM classes done and see what my sgpa looks like at that point.

Wana see this updated more! May 15th is approaching. Brace yourselves ladies and gentlemen.

Update:

Waitlist and 1 MD and 1 DO school. Excited for both schools, but of course planning on a backup reapplication season now and possibly an MCAT retake.

Wana see some updates and hopefully some success stories on here!

Wana see this updated more! May 15th is approaching. Brace yourselves ladies and gentlemen.

Update:

Waitlist and 1 MD and 1 DO school. Excited for both schools, but of course planning on a backup reapplication season now and possibly an MCAT retake.

Wana see some updates and hopefully some success stories on here!
I'll put in an update-- haven't for a long time! My stats were ~3.1/3.1 and a 36.

I am currently waitlisted at 2 MD schools (Albany/Central Michigan) but was accepted to my top choice (and in-state) DO school. I'll be starting there in 2 months because:
1) I didn't see the waitlists ever panning out
2) I had to start committing months ago (deposit, apartment lease, dues, fees, and, as of today, tuition!) and
3) I know my education at my in-state DO school will be fantastic... and neither of my waitlists are worth 100k+ more in tuition. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'll put in an update-- haven't for a long time! My stats were ~3.1/3.1 and a 36.

I am currently waitlisted at 2 MD schools (Albany/Central Michigan) but was accepted to my top choice (and in-state) DO school. I'll be starting there in 2 months because:
1) I didn't see the waitlists ever panning out
2) I had to start committing months ago (deposit, apartment lease, dues, fees, and, as of today, tuition!) and
3) I know my education at my in-state DO school will be fantastic... and neither of my waitlists are worth 100k+ more in tuition. :)

Pssh, no need to explain it. You are going to make a great doctor no matter where you go. So happy for you!