** Official 2013-2014 Underdog Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a chance for everyone to get an interview! I know someone in my AMSA group who made a 23 on MCAT...a 23!! I don't know his GPA but I assume average and got an interview! What helped him out the most was doing medical volunteer work with VIDA in Nicaragua.

Members don't see this ad.

3.43/3.52s 31 with utter silence from all schools :S

Accepted LSU Shreveport Early Decision!!!!!

Guys, we have our first acceptance on the thread!!! Congratulation acceptmeplease! I hope to be in your shoes in a few months, as do we all. Great to see your hard work pay off. So tell us, how did you react when you found out???

Members don't see this ad :)

Missed this post earlier!! Congratulations, it has to be an amazing feeling knowing that you are in now. Never forget your underdog friends! :D

MCAT scores posted and application is complete!

Fingers crossed from here on out!

<3.0 uGPA
>3.9 gGPA
35 MCAT

As an update, I would just like to add that I got a second interview! That makes two with CMU and now Albany. Couldn't be happier! :D

As a refresher, my cGPA and sGPA are both below 3.1, with an MCAT of 36. I was definitely expecting the possibility of no invites. :p

Congrats to the person with the acceptance!

Congrats!!!! That's great news!!!

As an update...I have been having a lot better cycle than I could have ever imagined. 10 IIs so far, 1 rejection and 1 pre-interview hold. All for MD schools. Hopefully that gives some hope that being an Underdog doesn't completely put you out of the game.

Congrats!!!! That's great news!!!

As an update...I have been having a lot better cycle than I could have ever imagined. 10 IIs so far, 1 rejection and 1 pre-interview hold. All for MD schools. Hopefully that gives some hope that being an Underdog doesn't completely put you out of the game.

Congrats wowza! You have IIs at several top tier schools. You're not an underdog..just sayin

Congrats wowza! You have IIs at several top tier schools. You're not an underdog..just sayin

lol Thank you. I guess I may not be an underdog although I do 'qualify' because of my sGPA and International status...but maybe that's just by SDN standards. Who knows?

Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

Rejections # 10 and #11 received yesterday. I did get to interview at my #1 choice early last month though, so there's that. I feel like I'll probably get an interview from another state school eventually, but I'm not so sure about the other 13 schools still on my list. I'd feel a lot better if I could get 2-3 more invites.

im a little late, judging by how people are talking about IIs already, but despite my dismally low verbal score, UCSF still decided to send me a secondary earlier this week! hoping for an II in a couple months!!!

31 (11 PS, 7 VR, 13 BS)
3.95s/3.95c
CA resident

hang in there folks! just because you scored < 8 on a subsection doesnt mean its the end of the world!

3 for 3 here!!

Interview-USF, USA, FIU

Reject-BU, Tulane, Georgetown

seems like public schools closer to home are the way to go!

I guess I should update mine as well since my MCAT score still says pending on the original list.

MCAT: 35 (10PS/13V/12BS)

7 rejections so far. No II's (yet).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Update:

Pyrogenic: 3.5/3.6/3.9 uGPA/sGPA/gGPA; 32 MCAT 13p/8v/11b (4th take); State: CA; non-URM
4 OOS MD interviews!!

ii at my IS school (Louisville). 30 MCAT with 3.6sGPA

nyc1990 update:

Rejections: Tulane, Indiana, Beaumont, Rosalind Franklin

Interviews: Albany, Albert Einstein, Wayne State

Waiting on ~20 schools (silence)

Finding out from Wayne on the 23rd and Albany ~ Nov 1. Interviewing with Einstein tomorrow (!)

Best of luck to all the underdogs out there - I know I want to become a physician more than anything else in the world right now.

Graduated with a liberal arts degree from a public school a couple of years ago, GPA2.9.

In the last 2 years I have managed to pull that up to a 3.2cGPA, 60+ hours of postbacc sciences 4.0 sGPA(all upper levels ex: immune, comparative, etc.), repeat 31 MCAT (9/11/11) worked in a hospital for nearly two years, AMAZING LORS from lots of science faculty, but wishing hoping and praying my UG GPA doesn't kill my app.

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Graduated with a liberal arts degree from a public school a couple of years ago, GPA2.9.

In the last 2 years I have managed to pull that up to a 3.2cGPA, 60+ hours of postbacc sciences 4.0 sGPA(all upper levels ex: immune, comparative, etc.), repeat 31 MCAT (9/11/11) worked in a hospital for nearly two years, AMAZING LORS from lots of science faculty, but wishing hoping and praying my UG GPA doesn't kill my app.

Best of luck to everyone!

Wow, great improvement. Good luck!

Got my MCAT score today, 28 (8/10/10) on my second try (Much better then first try but not good enough).

3.64cGPA 3.82 sGPA
Worked as an LNA for sometime
Lots of research experience, co-author on a paper, poster presentations, etc.

I am just extremely nervous about the cycle. I jumped to gun early and sent my application in before I knew my MCAT scores. And now it is VERY late in the cycle and schools are just now starting able to look at my application.

I am praying for some good things my way.

3.45 cgpa, 3.33 sgpa, 31 MCAT just got my first interview invite! :3

First acceptance!!! At Cooper. I think I am living proof: being an underdog doesn't mean you should give up. Even though my uGPAs were both far below 3.0, it was possible for me to redeem myself.

Keep working hard, y'all, and you will achieve your goals.

First acceptance!!! At Cooper. I think I am living proof: being an underdog doesn't mean you should give up. Even though my uGPAs were both far below 3.0, it was possible for me to redeem myself.

Congratulations in your acceptance!

MD acceptance today at George Washington :)

Yay underdogs!

Last edited:

When I saw your stats when I first saw this thread, I immediately wanted to see you get in. So happy for you man. You deserve this! Hoping that perhaps I can be your classmate next year :D. Heres to that chance at redemption!

After 4 mcats and 4 application cycles, I was admitted to a US MD medical school yesterday. Hang in there and don't give up.

MD acceptance today at George Washington :)

cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.2, no SMP, no special circumstances.

Yay underdogs!

Congrats to you guys!!!

S GPA: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.3
Ended freshman year with 2.0.
State: CA
MCAT: 36S (BS15PS14VR7)
My extracurricular activities are at least average, lots of leadership, club, tutoring, clinical hours.
So far I have an ii to Loma Linda uni som.

Inspiring! Congrats :thumbup:

3.82 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA, 26 MCAT (8PS/10V/8PS). I am student government president, lots of volunteer hours, EMT but only 24 shadowing hours, and have worked throughout school (FAP recipient)....but that MCAT is terrible. Plus I submitted late in the game and still have not been verified. I am signed up to retake MCAT in Jan...so if I could just get an interview maybe I could send them a new score update. Did not have much time to study for the first go 'round so feel I could get a 30 with more studying but it may just be too late for this cycle. VA resident. Caucasian. Rural/underserved/primary care focus. I

Applied to:
VCU
UVA
WVU
Marshall
Georgetown
GW
Howard
SUNY Upstate
Loyola Chicago Stritch
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
U of Colorado
Oregon

....how screwed am I? Do I stand a chance or should I just start making gap year plans? Would an SMP be worth it even though my GPA is strong? AHHHH (commence panic)

3.82 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA, 26 MCAT (8PS/10V/8PS).
FAP recipient
submitted late in the game and still have not been verified.
retake MCAT in Jan...so if I could just get an interview maybe I could send them a new score update.
VA resident.
Rural/underserved/primary care focus.

....how screwed am I? Do I stand a chance or should I just start making gap year plans? Would an SMP be worth it even though my GPA is strong? AHHHH (commence panic)

Your GPA would not benefit from a SMP; your OOS medical school candidacy would be much improved if your MCAT were higher. Do note that most schools do not take same-year January scores into account.

With your residency and focus, Marshall should be a good fit. Their minimum MCAT for OOS consideration is a 24, so as a resident your chances are decent.

Thank you so much for the response!

Seeing people with stats similar to mine getting accepted makes me think I should have applied to more MD schools.

I have a sGPA and cGPA both between 3.3 and 3.4, and an MCAT of 34 (12/11/11). I have an interview at Wake Forest, which came as a huge surprise, and I am beyond thrilled since it's a top choice for me. However, I'm tempted to add more school while suffering in silence from the rest (other than a hold at Arizona-Tuscon).

Is it worth it to add a couple more non-rolling admissions schools?

NOOO I got a 7 in VERBAL!!!! Does anyone know what schools screen out 7 in any subsections? I got 30 overall (12/7/11) UGH :(((

Alright thought I'd wade my way back in

Got a 32 on 09/11 MCAT (11 PS 9 VR 12 BS) so NO SCREENOUT YAY. But that was my 3rd attempt D:

So I'm basically 3.64 cgpa 3.65 sgpa 32 MCAT CA Resident

Problem is NOW I'm complete b/c of the wait for scores....and I'm not done w/3 secondaries (2 of which are reaches). Gah, hoping some schools will show me some love esp mid-low tiers.

Got a 32 on 09/11 MCAT
3.64 cgpa 3.65 sgpa
CA Resident

Problem is NOW I'm complete b/c of the wait for scores....and I'm not done w/3 secondaries (2 of which are reaches). Gah, hoping some schools will show me some love esp mid-low tiers.

Your scores are so solidly within the range med schools are looking for, it's tempting to boot you out of any contention for Underdog status :laugh:

Congrats on the 2-point MCAT increase!

If you apply broadly, you should be fine :thumbup:

Got a 32 on 09/11 MCAT (11 PS 9 VR 12 BS) so NO SCREENOUT YAY. But that was my 3rd attempt D:

Congrats on your retake. That's a great score that shouldn't preclude you from many schools - even if it is your 3rd try. In my 8 interviews I only had one interviewer ask about my retakes. Just keep plugging away and hope for the best this cycle. I am rooting for you.

CONGRATS! when did you submit secondary and to where? I have the similar stats (3.3sci/3.40cum/31)

CONGRATS! when did you submit secondary and to where? I have the similar stats (3.3sci/3.40cum/31)

I'm around the same as well, still no love :(