Official 2013 Match Results!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wyme84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should we get this started?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup...go for it! I'm kind of disappointed to not see anything here yet.

Those wishing to remain anonymous may PM me the results including where it was on your rank list (if you want...totally not necessary).

Be patient though, it may take me awhile to get them posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the preferred format?

Whatever you want. Program name, where on your list you matched, your med school, any "stats" you care to share. Let's not get too bogged down in that. Just tell us where the hell you matched.

The "Rank Help Megathread" had over 1000 posts. If there aren't at least half that many in this thread I'm going to go through and ban every user who posted in that other thread!

J/K...but seriously. Make with the posting already.

What's the preferred format?

Format is kinda like WAMC

School (or tier):
Steps:
Clinicals:
Interviewed:
Matched:
Anything Special about your app:
Advice for future applicants:

anything else?

School (or tier): Florida International University COM
Steps: 252/253
Clinicals: H in Medicine, Peds, Surgery, Psych. NH OB. P in FM and Neuro.
Interviewed: Mayo, PItt, MGH, Case, Northwestern, UVM, Loyola, Emory, Dartmouth, UF-Gainesvill
Matched: Case Western!
Anything Special about your app: I'm in the first graduating class from my school, so I obviously talked about that a lot at every interview. I'm from Miami and I made a lot of Lebron James jokes in Cleveland :laugh:
Advice for future applicants: Apply broadly. Know everything in your own application. Be yourself. :thumbup:

School: IMG (2011 grad), Latin American school.
Steps: 250+/270+
US experience: 4 months as a student, 1 month observership post-grad, 3 US LORs and 1 from my dean (who is now technically my boss)
Applied to 80+ programs. Received 13 invites, interviewed at 10, ranked 9. Interviewed at University of Miami/Jackson, UMDNJ-NJMS, UTHSC-SA, U of AZ, UConn, SLR, Jacobi, among others.
Matched: University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, top of list
Other stuff: lots of teaching experience and a lot of work in medical education

I didn't match into my number 1 so I matched in to my #10 because I am couple's matching
(not even married). I tried to change our lists more but she kept crying at every change. I feel shocked and angry. I went from potentially matching to a top tier or high middle tier to a low tier university program where my only shot for fellowship would be be within the same program...:cry:
Everyone knows the score when it comes fellowship, name matters and I feel like I have severely limited myself future. FML.
She'll be fine she matched to an EROAD

UCLA Olive View! Pretty stoked. It was in my top. I just had an awesome vibe there on my interview day.

Board Scores: Step 1: 240, Step 2: 258
AOA and Class Rank: Top 1/4. Not AOA.
Reputation of Medical School: Top 40 NIH-funded institution
Research: Minimal, no publications.

Clerkship Honors
Medicine, pediatrics, surgery, family, neurology.

Away rotations: None
Number of applications: 30

Interview Invitations
BIDMC, Columbia, U Maryland, UVA, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, MUSC, Emory, UAB, Tulane, Tennessee, Mississippi, UT Houston, Baylor, UTSW, Wash-U, U Chicago, Northwestern, Colorado, U Washington

Number of Interviews Attended: 10
Where matched: Duke
Position on rank list: #1

Anything That Helped Your Application
I have an MPH and prior career experience. I also think that interview day performance matters more than people say it does. Not just during the interviews, but the way you interact with the PD, program staff, and residents the entire day. I also sent all programs to which I’d applied an email when my step 2 score came back.

Congrats to everyone who already posted (and who will be coming soon).

Members don't see this ad :)
Step scores 236/252
Honors in everything but surgery and family medicine
No AOA, middle of class
No research
Interviewed at Baylor, UAB, UVA, Kentucky, Louisville, U of Florida, Georgetown, Ohio state, Indiana, UAMS, MUSC
Matched at Baylor College of Medicine (first choice)

School (or tier): mid tier, east coast
Steps: step 1: 252, step 2: 245
Clinicals: honors/high pass, about half half. High pass for all medicine rotations.
Interviewed: usc, kaiser la, cedars, scripps green, uci, olive view, harbor (more or less ranked in that order)
Matched: Cedars
Anything Special about your app: one pub, one first author poster
Advice for future applicants: try and do well on your medicine rotations, but not getting honors wont kill you

School (or tier): Tufts
Steps: Step 1: 254, Step 2: 262
Clerkships: All honors third and fourth year
AOA: Yes
Research: During undergrad and summer between M1/M2. Two first-author papers and four posters.
Interviewed: MGH, BIDMC, Tufts, BMC, UPenn, Columbia, Yale, Dartmouth
Matched: BIDMC (#2)
Anything special about your app: Lots of teaching experience
Advice for future applicants: Know your application. Try to enjoy the process.

Last edited:
School: Caribbean
Scores: 226/233
Interview: U of Arizona, SLU, UMDNJ-Newark, 5 community programs.
Matched: University of Arizona #1 choice
Extra: Had attending at a University program i rotated at make a phone call to the PD at U of A.

School (or tier): Middle
Steps: 246/259
Clinicals: A in all clerkships but Family
Interviewed: MGH, Duke, Penn, Yale, U Mich, Wash U, UNC, U Iowa
Matched: Duke, #1 on my list
Anything Special about your app: AOA, some research (several presentations, one non-science pub)

Last edited:
School (or tier): midwestern public school, satellite campus
Steps: 210/224
Clinicals: HPs in medicine, psych, peds, and OB, Ps in surgery and FM (not a single Honors, I know, I suck at life)
Interviewed: 14 programs, smattered across the midwest, northeast, and a couple in the southeast, mostly university, a few community
Matched: Medical College of Wisconsin (special track) (#5 but I'm happy with it)
Anything Special about your app:interesting background prior to med school, interested in health policy
Advice for future applicants: with how competitive IM was becoming I was a bit nervous, though I knew I'd match somewhere cuz I applied and interviewed broadly across tiers, but I was pleased with the result. The program I matched at really courted me, letters, e-mails, etc. I know people tend to be distrustful of all this communication, but in this case they were actually telling the truth, so don't ALWAYS ignore those forms of communication, they might actually like you :p

Matched: Emory University
Med School: Top 20, region - south
Step 1: 231
Step 2 CK: 262
Grades: all honors except for obgyn and FM - GPA 3.6ish
Research: just had some decent experience, no pubs
AOA: no

Interview offers: Emory, Wash U St Louis, Mayo (MN), vanderbilt, UAB, MCG, MUSC, Wake Forest, U Mississippi, U Illinois (Chicago), Loyola (Chicago), U Kentucky, U Wisconsin, UVA, U Arkansas, U Minnesota, Cleveland clinic, UT (memphis), U Ohio, U Maryland, Mercer, U Indiana, U Iowa, U Miami

I felt like I got a large number of interview offers from some amazing places (did not attend them all) and was told by all programs I had a very strong application. I did not get an interview offer at other big names like UNC, Duke, Northwestern, and Hopkins.

My main advice to those applying in future years:
1. Pubs/AOA will get you interviews at the very competitive places (assuming your app is otherwise similar to mine).
2. If you are more normal like me then you should still get a good amount of offers at a lot of great programs.
3. Apply and rank broadly to ensure a match.
4. I was told the most important aspect of an app for IM are the tier of your med school, your step scores, what your grade was in IM 3rd year rotation, and whether you or not you have research experience (not necessarily pubs). So going above and beyond that will get you more looks.
5. Interviewing well is extremely important. I cannot stress this enough. My interviews were very conversational and people were all very nice. Go to your top choice interviews after a few warm-ups. An impressive interview will help a lot more than you think.
6. I did not get any "rank to match" type messages. I got a couple vague emails (places that were not where I matched) and that was it. Don't stress so much. I did send a "you're my number 1" just because everyone else does it. I'm not sure how much it really helps to be honest. Maybe it'll move you a spot or two.

In any case I matched at my number 1 and could not be happier!

School (or tier): Mid-Low Tier
Steps: 225+/245+ (before interviews)
Clinicals: H everything.
Interviewed: UColorado, Montefiore, UIC, Sinai, OHSU, UCD, USC, UMich
Matched: UCSD
Anything Special about your app: Great clinicals. 2 Abstracts, Couple 2/3 author papers. Unique interests (talked about during almost every interview).
Advice for future applicants: Apply broadly. Do well third year. Do something unique to help yourself out; I almost never talked about my grades or research. Write thank you letters that are well thought out (hand written if possible); I got plenty of "positive" feedback from them. I know you're not supposed believe post-interview correspondence, but it's still tactful to do it and do it well. Talk to the chief residents during your interview day/dinner!! I think this had/has a huge impact.

School (or tier): Low Tier
Steps: 248/272 (after interviews)
Clinicals: H everything except psych,
Interviewed: UColorado, RUSH, wash u, Emory, Mayo
Matched: UCSD, my number 1!!!
Anything Special about your app: Clincals and steps! No research at all, not even a poster.

I barely stayed inside my Top Ten on my rank list, but honestly I ranked this program lower just because it's really far from home. Still matched into a decent university program, and I think I'll be happy there.

MedSchool: midwest, mid-tier
Step 1/2: 256/272
AOA: senior
M3 Clerkships: All Honors except Medicine, which I got an "Advanced"
SubI: Honors
Research: zip
Aways: none
Extra: tutor for anatomy/path, officer for a student interest group

Interviewed: 16 (Stanford, Northwestern, UofChicago, Harbor-UCLA, UCDavis, Cedars-Sinai, Scripps Green & Mercy, Kaiser SF/Oak/SC, SCVMC, UIC, Rush, Loyola)
Rejected by: 13(mostly top tier UCSF, UCSD, UW, OHSU, BID, MGH, BW, Cornell, Columbia and some surprises including USC, Kaiser LA, CPMC, Alameda County)
Matched: UCLA (my #2)

Very happy with results, I think I could have gotten alot more invites if I honored Medicine. Gutonc perfectly predicted these results.

Advice:
1. Forget doing aways (waste of time in my opinion),
2. Rock step 1/2 (makes interviews go very smoothly),
3. For best results, MUST HONOR MEDICINE!!
4. Don't be afraid to do extra interviews unless your budget prevents it, they get easier the more you do, and its ok to see what you'll be missing.
5. I sent out a "UR MY #1", got a very encouraging response and yet failed to match there. I would totally do it again though because I believe it makes a powerful statement. It was just a tough match year.
6. Didn't do any post-interview correspondence, with the exception of a couple because I wanted some more information (basically it carries no weight)

Last edited:
Definitely used this thread when I was applying, so I thought I'd sent my results in...

Board Scores: Step 1: 238, Step 2: 265
AOA and Class Rank: Top 10%, AOA.
Reputation of Medical School: Midwest allopathic state school
Research: lots of posters, oral presentations, abstracts, but NO publications

Clerkship Honors
Honors in surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry, OBGYN, and MICU. Pass in Family and Medicine.

Away rotations: One, but not at a place I interviewed at
Number of applications: 37 (couples match)

Interview Invitations
Tons...Invited to Mayo, Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado, Northwestern, UIC, Loyola, Rush, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, OHSU, CPMC, Rochester.....plus many others.
No interview invites from U of Washington, UCSF, Stanford, or U of Chicago.
Attended interviews at Northwestern, OHSU, Case Western, Rochester, UIC, Rush, Loyola, Cleveland Clinic, CPMC....plus many others (couples match).

Number of Interviews Attended: 17
Where matched: OHSU!
Position on rank list: #1

Hope this helps! For all those who say the interview trail is fun....not sure about that, but just fake it if you're not having fun. It's kinda exhausting esp if you do any more than 10. Apply to your dream schools, you have nothing to lose!

School (or tier): top 25
Steps: 236/243
Clinicals: P in surgery; NH in family, neurology, peds, IM; H in psych, ob/gyn, IM sub-i
Class Rank: 2nd quartile
Interviewed: UT Houston, UTHSCSA, Baylor COM, NYU, Scripps Clinic, Scripps Mercy, UCI, Wake Forest, MUSC, UIC, Baylor U, UTSW, OHSU
Matched: NYU (#1 choice!)
Anything Special about your app: lots of teaching experience
Advice for future applicants: cast your net widely, carry yourself confidently but be humble, research your programs and ask interesting questions, sell your willingness and excitement to attend a program as hard as you sell yourself

Matched at Case Western!

School (or tier): Mid-tier public
Steps: 258/271
Clinicals: A's in all 3rd & 4th year (including sub-I's), top ~10-15% of my class, not AOA
Interview Offers: 17 in the midwest/southeast, went on 13 interviews
Rejected by: U of Chicago, Northwestern, UPenn, Thomas Jefferson
Matched: Case Western!
Anything Special about your app: No research/pubs/posters. Generic extracurriculars.
Advice for future applicants: I ranked Case above 1 or 2 programs that are generally considered more prestigious because I felt that I would be happiest at Case, and I wasn't trading much (if anything) with regards to reputation. I want to be more clinically oriented in my future & am not that interested in research, so I feel I would be miserable at a program that puts a major focus on it (but I wanted to be somewhere that had research available, if my interests change).

Thanks to everyone on this forum (especially gutonc) for the advice. It was really helpful in deciding on programs to apply to. As far as ranking goes, it's a very personal process (no one really knows what factors are most important to you except for you), but it was helpful seeing other people's thought processes. Congrats to everyone!

Last edited:
School: Top 50
Step: 252/269
Grades: Top 10 in class, honored medicine and most of my clerkships
Interviewed: Hopkins, Stanford, Vandy, MGH, UCSF, Pitt, Penn, BIDMC, Northwestern, Duke, Columbia,
Matched: Hopkins (#1)
Advice: Lots of comments on my letters of rec - they matter!

School: Small state school in the southeast
Step: 242/264
Grades: top 1/4 of class, no AOA (but oh so close)
Clinicals: all A's except in medicine, lol but H in Med SubI
Research: goose egg
Externships: none ($$$)
Interviews: UMiss, Greenville SC, MUSC, Emory, Tulane, UAB, USA, Mayo Jax
Matched: UAB (#1)
Extras: I'm a musician and still play and I feel like that set me apart from other applicants

School (or tier): not ranked state school
Steps: Step 1: 245, Step 2: 268 (after interviews)
Clerkships: Mixed HP/H third and fourth year but H in Medicine, H in all medicine electives and AI
AOA: No
Research: During undergrad, nothing since
Interviewed: OSU, Maryland, UVA, Michigan, Vandy, WashU, Brown, Temple, Rochester
Matched: OSU
Anything special about your app: nothing really, average extracurriculars
Advice for future applicants: Interviews are important:)

School (or tier): mid-tier
Steps: 220s/250+
AOA: yes
Clinicals: Honors in half of rotations, including IM
Matched: MGH
Anything Special about your app: extensive research experience (>10 publications, some first-author), strong personal statement, URM
Where interviewed: UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, MGH, UChicago, Cornell, Vanderbilt, WashU
Where rejected: UW, UNC, Duke, Brigham, Northwestern, Columbia, Penn
Cancelled interviews: JHU, Yale, UTSW, Michigan, Emory, UAB, UColorado, Mayo, UCI
Advice for future applicants:
- step 1 is important, but above a certain threshold MUCH lower (probably 210-220) than what is currently touted on these boards. My "low" step 1 (nor my "high" step 2) was never commented on during interviews.
- the interview itself (unless you're strange and/or awkward) usually doesn't help
- "promises" of matching (or being "ranked to match") in either e-mail/phone call should be taken with a grain of salt
- some people have their chair/LOR call on their behalf. This may not be helpful (I did not do this) since schools usually contact admin if they have questions about applicants
- this is a random process, but in the end, you will go where you (and the program you interviewed at) are the best "fit"
- go to all pre-interview dinners to see how the residents are, what their interactions are like, and whether you "fit" in since you'll spend the majority of the next three years with them
- the process is random: roll with the punches!

Last edited:
School (or tier): Top 50
Steps: I 255 / II-CK 260
Clinicals: Excelled in IM, Peds, psych, mediocre in Family, ob-gyn, surgery

Applied 25 programs

Interviewed:
Penn, UW Seattle, Michigan, WashU/Barnes
NYP Cornell, UTSW, UChicago, Yale, Vanderbilt
Mt. Sinai, Mayo, Pitt, Emory, UCSD, UNC

Rejected:
NYP Columbia and UCLA (no closure ever)
Brigham, MGH, BIDMC, NWestern, Stanford, UCSF, Hopkins, Duke (all sent polite rejections)

Matched: Penn

Anything Special about your app: 6 submitted/accepted/published original papers (4 first authors), various abstracts/posters/orals, past research training, AOA, usual community service/leadership activities, 2 great LORs

Advice for future applicants: Apply broadly, go see programs in "bad" locations before you decide it's bad. Show programs you're an interesting person outside of medicine throughout your interview day, but show your interviewers that you are also a strong candidate. Step scores above 240, clinical grades, and AOA are most important for interview invites.

School: Top 10
Steps: 220/248 (didn't get Step 2 score until late January)
Clinicals: HP Surgery & Neuro, Honors in everything else
Applied: 20 programs
Invites: 16
Rejections: MGH, BWH (waitlist), UCSF (waitlist), WashU
Interviews: Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, UW, Duke, Michigan (got lazy and cancelled a lot)
Matched: HOPKINS (#1)

Advice: Board scores are not the be-all end-all?

School (or tier): State school, barely top 50
Steps: 230s both
Clinicals: Honored everything except a HP in Neurology
Other things: Senior AOA, multiple publications/posters, MPH during med school, lots of global health experience, 3 away rotations (at three of the top places I interviewed, not where I matched)

Applied 36 programs

Interviewed:
Home school, UCLA, UCSF, Yale, BIDMC, BU, MGH, Hopkins, MSSM, Columbia, Cornell, UW

Rejected/never heard back:
Stanford, Brigham, Duke, NYU, UPenn, Vandy

Declined interviews: Cedars-Sinai, UCSD, USC, UColorado, GW, Georgetown, Emory, Tufts, UMD, UMich, WashU, Dartmouth, OHSU, UPMC, Brown, Baylor, UTSW

Matched: MGH

Advice for future applicants: Apply broadly and shoot for the stars…your ego might take a hit, but you never know. Don’t be held back by your school name or board scores. Be interesting and thoughtful and normal and friendly. I think away rotations are a good thing if you will work hard. It is possible to group your interviews by coast (my invites came from the end of Sept-end Oct and I interviewed mostly in late Nov-Dec). When it comes to ranking, listen to YOUR gut. Don’t read too much into post-interview feedback. And remember, it’s a very weird, very random process…but ends in a job! Congrats everyone!

Matched EM/IM, but ill contribute.

School (or tier): DO program, no tier.
Steps: Step 1 250s step 2 250s
Clinicals: Strict pass/fail clinical years.
Other things: Sigma Sigma Phi (DO version of AOA), multiple leadership positions on the national level. Prior EMT/ED Tech experience.

Applied: 12 EM/IM Programs, 56 pure EM programs.

Interviewed:
Listing only IM programs: VCU, HCMC, East Carolina, LIJ, Christiana, UIC, Allegheny.

Matched: LIJ (EM/IM)

School (or tier): Mid-tier Northeast State School

Steps: 238/252

Clinicals: P in IM, Ambu (took them first :(); HP Peds, EM, FM; Honors OBGYN, Surg, Psych, Anesthesia, Medicine electives and Sub-I

Matched: Boston University IM - Primary Care track! <3

Advice for future applicants: know your application, strengths, and weaknesses, and really craft your app to make a story about yourself that you can sell to programs; although you have x, y, and z on your app and it seems obvious that this says a, b, and c about you, it's not obvious! Synthesize your story for them. Also, know what type of program/location you want to be in and don't settle!

Board Scores: Step 1: low 240s, Step 2: mid 240s
AOA and Class Rank: Bottom half
Reputation of Medical School: middle of road med school
Research: Several experiences, one second author pub, one poster.

Clerkship Honors: N/A, but likely not.

Away rotations: None
Number of applications: 42

Interview Invitations: 15 (too tired to list)

Number of Interviews Attended: 13
Where matched: Brown
Position on rank list: #2

Anything That Helped Your Application: I'm a special snowflake that does special-snowflake-type-things.

My interview itself didn't go all that well in that I wasn't particularly educated on the topic that the interviewer wanted to pursue. I didn't write a single thank you note to a single program (at any position on my rank list, top or bottom).

--> So, to the applicants next year reading this, please hang in there and remember that you aren't barred from matching if you don't write thank you notes.

One thing I didn't realize is how glad I would be to match (especially on the top half of my list) after seeing the pain and suffering that is the SOAP.

I am so unbelievably excited to have ended up at Brown; I have high hopes for the community/location/program and job prospects for my significant other. I have a very good feeling from the program directors. YAY!

School: unranked state school
Steps: 218/244
Clinical: H in Medicine and Sub-I, mostly HP in everything else
Interviewed: USC, UIC, BU, Montefiore, Dartmouth, Rush, Beth Israel (NY), Drexel, Lenox Hill, NSLIJ, Downstate, RWJ, UCI
Matched: Temple (#5)
Anything special: not really
Advice for future applicants: apply broadly, go on as many interviews as you can possibly tolerate, be very cautious about reading into any post-interview feedback you get (got burned by my top 2 choices). I think my Step 1 score held me back, not necessarily my school name, so make sure you rock your boards. Doing well on Step 2 helped get me a few more interviews though. Rank everything, SOAP is not a pleasant process from what I've heard. IM is becoming a huge crap shoot from what I've been hearing from a lot of my classmates.

Matched to: University of Maryland
Board Scores: Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 250s
AOA and Class Rank: Top 1/5 not AOA
Reputation of Medical School: Middle tier NE, awesome clinical training, and really, who cares
Research: 1 pub, 2 posters, 1 abstract

Clerkship Honors
Medicine and General Surgery, Medicine sub-I. High Passed all the rest of my third year clerkships.

Away rotations: one where I matched.

Interview Invitations (just gonna put the places I ranked)
Univ of MD, Jefferson, Temple, NJMS, RWJ, Georgetown, GWU, VCU, Johns Hopkins Bayview, Georgetown/WHC

Rejected: Johns Hopkins Osler (I ain't even mad)

Number of Interviews Attended: 14, ranked 10
Where matched: University of Maryland
Position on rank list: #1!!

- Shined on my away rotation (elective), got a letter, definitely helped out. Goes against the logic of "don't do away rotations in medicine" but hey there you go.
- Good board scores, including a good Step 2 score. Wish I had taken it even earlier.
- Stellar letters, with one from a big name faculty.
- Second look

General Advice:
- despite my snarky comment above, I think med school reputation does play a role in residency selection. at my top tier interviews, there were definitely more from the "top tier" schools.
- don't be afraid to do an AI/sub-I at a top institution if you're really confident in your abilities and feel that everything else being equal it'll help. At least one of my classmates matched to one of the top 5 programs in the country after doing a sub-I there.
- research and AOA status helps at the top tier. if you really want to go to a top program for whatever reason (reputation, academics, etc) then by all means shoot for these landmarks.
- trust your SDN advisors. they are a good bunch.

Reputation of Medical School: mid tier state school
Board Scores: Step 1: 248, Step 2: 252 (got result in Jan)
AOA and Class Rank: second quartile

Research/Other: MPH with decent work experience, research with 3 pubs and a few abstracts/presentations

Clerkship Honors
Surgery, Psych, OB, radiology, Medicine SubI. HP in medicine clerkship

Away rotations: did a subspecialty away, wasn't offered an interview at the program

Interviews (in order of rank)
NYU, BU, Monte, Jefferson, Georgetown, Temple, LIJ, Tufts, Stony Brook, Downstate

Matched to: Boston University Med Center (#2)

General Advice:
- class rank, AOA and med school reputation seem to be extremely important
- DO NOT gauge your competitiveness based solely on step 1 score!
- wish I would've taken step 2 CK earlier despite having a solid step 1 score
- you need to apply BROADLY and decide on whether you want to limit yourself geographically once you see where you get interviews
- IM has become extremely competitive, especially in the northeast ...definitely took me by surprise. many of my classmates did not match at their #1 and a few dipped to #4+!
- post-interview correspondence likely means nothing. programs know who they want and your "ranking you #1" email/letter isn't going to sway them
- take what you read on SDN with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to programs being "malignant" or the sort of "vibe" someone got from a program 10+ years ago. much of this information is outdated or based on an isolated negative personal interaction.

Matched to: Einstein/Montefiore
Board Scores: Step 1: 228, Step 2CK: 249, Step 2CS: pass, Step 3: 240
Class Rank: Top 10% (we don't have AOA)
Reputation of Medical School: UK (graduated 2010)
Research: 1 review, 4 posters, 1 abstract

Away rotations: one - with LoR

Applied to: 46
Interview Invitations: 9
Interviews Attended: 2, ranked 2

Where matched: Einstein/Montefiore
Position on rank list: 1

Having completed all steps of the USMLE before applying (including step 3)
Being honest about my motivations for moving to the US

General Advice:
Consider how many interviews you want to go on and how this will fit around your current schedule - I hadn't anticipated how difficult this was going to be - in hindsight I would have liked to have attended more interviews to maximise my chances, but extremely excited about the eventual outcome.

Matched to: Georgetown
Board Scores: Step 1: 245, Step 2CK: 265, Step 2CS: pass
Class Rank: Top 10%
Reputation of Medical School: DO School
Research: 3 Papers
Away rotations: one - with LoR

Applied to: 40
Interview Invitations: 20
Interviews Attended: 15

Where matched: Georgetown

Taking both USMLE's, research, being yourself

General Advice:
work really hard, apply to lots of places and try to enjoy the whole process as much as possible.

I would like to remind you all that my advice is dangerously incorrect and misleading. I must have just had some strange dumb luck on this one.

Well but this guy was AOA too... it kinda helps, and it looks like it helps moreso than an awesome Step 1 score (though you can't deny they probably go hand in hand - congrats SaipanRocks!).

School: unranked state school
Steps: 218/244
Clinical: H in Medicine and Sub-I, mostly HP in everything else
Interviewed: USC, UIC, BU, Montefiore, Dartmouth, Rush, Beth Israel (NY), Drexel, Lenox Hill, NSLIJ, Downstate, RWJ, UCI
Matched: Temple (#5)
Anything special: not really
Advice for future applicants: apply broadly, go on as many interviews as you can possibly tolerate, be very cautious about reading into any post-interview feedback you get (got burned by my top 2 choices). I think my Step 1 score held me back, not necessarily my school name, so make sure you rock your boards. Doing well on Step 2 helped get me a few more interviews though. Rank everything, SOAP is not a pleasant process from what I've heard. IM is becoming a huge crap shoot from what I've been hearing from a lot of my classmates.

I know you wanted to be anonymous, but I'd really appreciate it if the person that sent this to gutonc would PM me! I'm just curious what your ROL was because your programs are of similar calibre to mine in the NE.

I would really anonymous to contact me privately! It seems like we have the same stats and had the same interviews and matched at our 5th or 6th place. I really need someone to talk to rationalize this harrowing experience.

Last edited:
I know you wanted to be anonymous, but I'd really appreciate it if the person that sent this to gutonc would PM me! I'm just curious what your ROL was because your programs are of similar calibre to mine in the NE.

I would really like anonymous to contact me privately! It seems like we have the same stats and had the same interviews and matched at our 5th or 6th place. I really need someone to talk to rationalize this harrowing experience.