Official 2013 Match Results!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School: top 30
Steps: 240s/260s
Clinical: H in medicine, sub-I (didn't have at the time ERAS was due), mostly H and occasional HP for the rest.
AOA: yes
Extras: pretty standard. 1st author basic science publications (without doing a ph.d) helped me stand out.

Applied to 20. Invited to 14. Interviewed at- Brown, UChicago, Duke, UNC, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, Yale, BID, BU, Penn, Jefferson (got lazy towards the end and cancelled a couple that I wouldn't have cancelled had I been able to schedule them sooner, oh well)
Rejected- MGH, B&W, Stanford, UCSF, Northwestern, Columbia

Matched- Cornell (#1!)

Advice-
As many have said, it's such a random process-- don't get bogged down by which specific program invites you or rejects you.
Be nice to EVERYONE on the interview trail. i really felt like how you answer interviewers' questions doesn't matter nearly as much as just being friendly and open-minded throughout interview day. talk to anybody and everybody, smile, and don't complain about how many interviews you've had to do or how many hours you've had to drive, etc.
know your application, including your personal statement (!)
talk about your hobbies and interests

oh and PM me if you're also going to NYP-weill cornell!

Members don't see this ad.

School (or tier): Low tier- East Coast school

Steps: 220's/250's

Class Rank: Top 30%, not AOA

Clinicals: Honors in everything 3rd and 4th year except Family Med (3rd), and ICU (4th)

Interviewed: too many, so here are some highlights-- UMaryland, Boston U, Tufts, UVA, UPMC, Mt. Sinai, Montefiore, Temple, Jeff

Rejected: Cornell, Brown, NYU, Penn

Matched: UPMC

Anything Special about your app: not really... no research or anything but I guess some interesting extracurriculars and 2 years of full time work before med school.

Advice for future applicants: Don't sell yourself short!! I thought I had no shot at competitive programs with my Step 1 (stupid SDN makes you paranoid!), but got better interviews than I expected and matched at my #1… which I would consider a GREAT program!! I think my clinical grades and hugely improved Step 2 score helped a lot. Also, being a normal person gets you a lot further than you think! Seriously… you would be surprised,

Will this individual PM me? Promise to keep it confidential. Thank you!

Advice-
As many have said, it's such a random process-- don't get bogged down by which specific program invites you or rejects you.
Be nice to EVERYONE on the interview trail. i really felt like how you answer interviewers' questions doesn't matter nearly as much as just being friendly and open-minded throughout interview day.

IMHO it is not a random process. Programs know what type of residents they want and they pick candidates who meet their criteria to interview. It is not a perfect process but definitely not random.

I agree with you about "Be nice to EVERYONE on the interview trail". I would add one more - be CURIOUS.

I spent a lot of time learning about programs, their faculty, and their research inside out. This helped me during my interview trail.

I went to all the pre-dinners and talked to interns and residents to understand their culture.

Members don't see this ad :)
School (or tier): DO

Steps: Step 1 238, Step 2 252 plus badass COMLEX scores

AOA: was SSP (not really the same though), top 10%

Clinicals: half P, half Honors

Interviewed: Wake, UIC, Temple, Loyola, Cinci, MUSC, Gtown, GW, UF, UMDNJ-NJMS, some community places

Rejected: all the big guys, UVA, Jeff, Tufts, BU

Matched: #1 (not saying to preserve slight anonymity)

Anything special about your app: National level leadership, lots of volunteering

Research: several pre-med school pubs, couple of posters

Advice for future applicants:
1) Well, as a DO you gotta be aware of who takes us and who doesn't-if you glance at this thread there are places that with my stats and whatnot that I should have gotten IVs but didn't...not complaining so much as saying don't waste your time applying to a ton of places that will throw you app in the trash

2) Having interesting hobbies or something to talk about would help...I felt super boring when I would say "oh I like music, used to play the piano"

3) Apply widely and broadly

4) DOs: take the USMLE!

5) Go to as many interviews as you can tolerate; although I matched at my #1 damn skippy I'm glad I went to 15 interviews and exponentially decreased my risk of not matching

IMHO it is not a random process. Programs know what type of residents they want and they pick candidates who meet their criteria to interview. It is not a perfect process but definitely not random.

I agree with you about "Be nice to EVERYONE on the interview trail". I would add one more - be CURIOUS.

I spent a lot of time learning about programs, their faculty, and their research inside out. This helped me during my interview trail.

I went to all the pre-dinners and talked to interns and residents to understand their culture.

I agree that programs have a specific type in mind and that's what they're looking for.
Unfortunately, we don't necessarily know what that type is!

I think the randomness Saphireflame is referring to is:
1) You may get interviews from very prestigious, competititive programs and then don't get one from a program that is much less competitive in comparision
2) You may get an interview with better stats than your classmate or they may be the one to get it with worse stats

This is why I agree with everyone who says apply broadly and reach for the stars

I agree that programs have a specific type in mind and that's what they're looking for.
Unfortunately, we don't necessarily know what that type is!

I think the randomness Saphireflame is referring to is:
1) You may get interviews from very prestigious, competititive programs and then don't get one from a program that is much less competitive in comparision
2) You may get an interview with better stats than your classmate or they may be the one to get it with worse stats

This is why I agree with everyone who says apply broadly and reach for the stars

it's like you read my mind. additionally-- my experience is that there are a number of people with similar stats applying to similar caliber programs. as such, a random extracurricular activity or LOR writer or research topic etc etc could have struck one selection committee member's fancy, while similar experiences might not seem as interesting to another selection committee and thus you get by-passed. a couple of PDs or aPDs actually mentioned very specific things in my application that "really made them want to meet me". and i assure you- while i have pretty good ECs and pretty strong research experiences, i definitely didn't cure cancer or save african children... i think that particular PD/aPD just happened to have been interested in the thing i've done.

so to sum up my ramblings: don't get upset about getting rejected from one program and certainly don't feel like you weren't good enough, when everyone's fantastic, there's bound to be some subjectivity in the selection process.

it's like you read my mind. additionally-- my experience is that there are a number of people with similar stats applying to similar caliber programs. as such, a random extracurricular activity or LOR writer or research topic etc etc could have struck one selection committee member's fancy, while similar experiences might not seem as interesting to another selection committee and thus you get by-passed. a couple of PDs or aPDs actually mentioned very specific things in my application that "really made them want to meet me". and i assure you- while i have pretty good ECs and pretty strong research experiences, i definitely didn't cure cancer or save african children... i think that particular PD/aPD just happened to have been interested in the thing i've done.

so to sum up my ramblings: don't get upset about getting rejected from one program and certainly don't feel like you weren't good enough, when everyone's fantastic, there's bound to be some subjectivity in the selection process.

agreed :thumbup:

i am reposting this from ANOTHER thread. but, i think we should come up with some sort of algorithm of current trends for future applicants so that the question of "am i competitive" isn't brought up every other day. or at least, there will be a FAQ we can direct them to.

please feel free to add or modify my ideas/scheme

1. board scores (>240)
2. H medicine
3. AOA or top 10 med school
4. published research
5. +/- unique EC's
if you have all of these, this is the best case scenario to get looks EVERYWHERE

if you have 1 and 2, you are solid for mid tier programs with outside shots at top tier programs
if you have 1, 2, and 3, you are solid for mid tier programs +/- some top tier
if you have 1, 2, and 4, you are solid for mid tier programs +/- some top tier
if you have 1, 2, and 3 (both AOA and top 10) you are solid for mid tier programs +/- most top tier (this i assume, but i am guessing you better have some unique EC's)
if you have 1, 2, 3, and 4, you are solid for mid tier programs +/- most top tier programs

if you have 2 and 4 (granted you have a step 1 >220) you will get most mid tier programs with outside shots at top tier programs [CK might help increase your chances, but don't expect magic)

bottom line: despite the above, there's no magic bullet that will determine where you will/will not get interviews. these are rough guidelines.

Congrats to all those who have matched. Enjoy the next few months. July will suck, but it gets better.
-DVN

if you have 1 and 2, you are solid for mid tier programs with outside shots at top tier programs
if you have 1, 2, and 3, you are solid for mid tier programs +/- some top tier
if you have 1, 2, and 4, you are solid for mid tier programs +/- some top tier
if you have 1, 2, and 3 (both AOA and top 10) you are solid for mid tier programs +/- most top tier (this i assume, but i am guessing you better have some unique EC's)
if you have 1, 2, 3, and 4, you are solid for mid tier programs +/- most top tier programs

i realize this is VERY subjective, but what do you mean by "top tier" and "mid tier"

i realize this is VERY subjective, but what do you mean by "top tier" and "mid tier"

Top tier = excuse to tell other people you go to a fancy recognizable name place.

Mid tier = excellent clinical training and research probably just as good as a top tier place but without necessarily the instant name recognition of the top tier place.

School (or tier): Osteopathic
Steps: 225/252
Clinicals: Letter grading system. Received A's in all, except for surgery, in which i received a B+
Interviewed: Wanted to stay local. Interviewed at Banner Good Samaritan, St. Joe's, U of A, Maricopa Medical Center, Univ of NM, UN Reno in Las Vegas, Sacred Heart in Spokane and Huntington Hospital
Matched: MMC (#4)
Anything special about your app: Decent board scores, interesting extracurriculars and background, tutor for several courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing, every program is equal to every other program.

Top tier = excuse to tell other people you go to a fancy recognizable name place.

Mid tier = excellent clinical training and research probably just as good as a top tier place but without necessarily the instant name recognition of the top tier place.

let's qualify.
"top tier" = "most competitive" = "top 25ish"
"mid tier" = "most solid applicants will get looks" = "25-50ish"
and if you anyone needs help about subjective rankings, just look at the bickering in this thread.

i do agree that all/most programs will offer fantastic training. if you're looking to get into some competitive sub-specialty, many will argue that you should try and go to a competitive residency that has a good track record of getting their residents into such fellowship. as much as the qualifier of "go with your gut" comes into play, i think applicants must think equally about their future aspirations.

arcgurren i agree. but, as anything has told us during this season, pedigree matters especially at the top.

let's qualify.
"top tier" = "most competitive" = "top 25ish"
"mid tier" = "most solid applicants will get looks" = "25-50ish"
and if you anyone needs help about subjective rankings, just look at the bickering in this thread.

i do agree that all/most programs will offer fantastic training. if you're looking to get into some competitive sub-specialty, many will argue that you should try and go to a competitive residency that has a good track record of getting their residents into such fellowship. as much as the qualifier of "go with your gut" comes into play, i think applicants must think equally about their future aspirations.

arcgurren i agree. but, as anything has told us during this season, pedigree matters especially at the top.

Eh it depends on what sort of career you want. Most mid-tier programs will match you competitively into the fellowships you want be it cards, GI, pulm/cc, whatever.

If you absolutely want to go to the "best name fellowship" then yes going to Duke/Vandy/Brigham/MGH/Hopkins/whatever will definitely be a leg up. I personally don't think it makes a difference unless you want to stay in academics.

Eh it depends on what sort of career you want. Most mid-tier programs will match you competitively into the fellowships you want be it cards, GI, pulm/cc, whatever.

If you absolutely want to go to the "best name fellowship" then yes going to Duke/Vandy/Brigham/MGH/Hopkins/whatever will definitely be a leg up. I personally don't think it makes a difference unless you want to stay in academics.

more or less, i agree.

Don't be afraid to not rank places you hated.

Obviously this was an anonymous opinion, not gutonc's, he was pasting match stats. I was looking at the main NRMP 2013 outcomes. There were only 14 unfilled categorical IM programs (didn't look at all the special tracks). You should rank all your programs! IM is becoming more competitive!

Unless you rather do something else for one year and reapply, change specialty, or go through SOAP and pick one of these IM programs (couldn't find the other 4):

Kaiser Permanente Fontana, CA
White Memoral Med Center, CA
Earl K Long Med Center, Baton Rouge
LSU, New Orleans
LSUHSC, Shreveport
Grand Rapids Med Ed Partners, Michigan
Wayne State Univ, Detroit
East Tennessee State, Johnson City
Texas Tech, Amarillo
Texas Tech, Odessa

No thank you...

Board Scores: 222/225
AOA and Class Rank: no, 50th percentile
Reputation of Medical School: average public N.E. university
Research: none
Clerkship: HP for all
Away rotations: None

Interviews: VCU, Jefferson, BU, Maryland, Monte, Temple, Wake, Gtown, GW, BINY

Rejected: Duke, UNC, Vandy, NYU, Mount Sinai, BIDMC, Emory

Where matched: VCU
Position on rank list: #1

Anything That Helped Your Application
-Non-traditional applicant with a background in public health

General Advice:
-Apply broadly and don't assume anything is guaranteed. "ROAD" is out of date, and Medicine is becoming more competitive at all levels
-Be patient throughout the process, but advocate for your application when appropriate
-Prepare for each interview individually. Granted, they may not make or break your application, but it's your time to show the hospital that you fit into their culture
-Know your strengths and tell a story with your application
-Know your weaknesses and have a solid response prepared
-Follow up after interviews with a "thank you", but don't necessarily show your hand too early or aggressively
-Work your connections, but be careful not to put too many cards into play because PDs talk
-Consider more than just reputation when ranking (eg. work/life balance, location, curriculum, etc.) and pick the program that best meets your wants and needs

Obviously this was an anonymous opinion, not gutonc's, he was pasting match stats. I was looking at the main NRMP 2013 outcomes. There were only 14 unfilled categorical IM programs (didn't look at all the special tracks). You should rank all your programs! IM is becoming more competitive!

Unless you rather do something else for one year and reapply, change specialty, or go through SOAP and pick one of these IM programs (couldn't find the other 4):

LSU, New Orleans
LSUHSC, Shreveport
Texas Tech, Amarillo
Texas Tech, Odessa

No thank you...

Yeah I definitely agree with you. Definitely rank every program! Even the most notoriously malignant FMG-mills (sorry for the slur but it's to get a point across) fill and won't be an option for you as you leave off programs you slightly disliked.

LSU, New Orleans
LSUHSC, Shreveport
Texas Tech, Amarillo
Texas Tech, Odessa

No thank you...

Wayne State University main campus with 31 slots did indeed fill, the one that did not is the off site Afflliate in Maywood (outside of Detroit) that has 13 slots which went unfilled with 3 slots remaining. Big difference there...

School (or tier): midwestern public school, satellite campus
Steps: 210/224
Clinicals: HPs in medicine, psych, peds, and OB, Ps in surgery and FM (not a single Honors, I know, I suck at life)
Interviewed: 14 programs, smattered across the midwest, northeast, and a couple in the southeast, mostly university, a few community
Matched: Medical College of Wisconsin (special track) (#5 but I'm happy with it)
Anything Special about your app:interesting background prior to med school, interested in health policy
Advice for future applicants: with how competitive IM was becoming I was a bit nervous, though I knew I'd match somewhere cuz I applied and interviewed broadly across tiers, but I was pleased with the result. The program I matched at really courted me, letters, e-mails, etc. I know people tend to be distrustful of all this communication, but in this case they were actually telling the truth, so don't ALWAYS ignore those forms of communication, they might actually like you :p
which "special track" did you get in?

Which programs are these? Not sure I have ever heard of that before

Will a similar thread be put up for this year?

School: Low/mid-tier Northeast (NOT top 50)
Step1: 245
Step 2: 267/pass
Clinical: All Honors 3rd and 4th year
Class rank: Top 5-10%
AOA: Senior
Extras: Summer basic science research project w/ cash award between 1st and 2nd years (but no pub), pretty interesting prior career experience before medical school

Interview invites: Stanford, Columbia, UCLA, U Michigan, UW, Yale, Northwestern, BIDMC, UTSW, UCSD, UC Davis, Mt. Sinai, OHSU, Wash U, UNC, UVA, Emory, Baylor, Brown, Tufts, BU, Dartmouth, home institution (went to/ranked 14 of these)

Rejected: UCSF, MGH, B&W, Hopkins, U Penn, Duke, U Chicago

Matched: U Michigan! (#4)

Advice: I am very excited to be part of such an amazing program. I really liked a lot of the places I visited over the past few months, but this was one that I really felt "clicked," and I am sure I will get excellent training there to prepare me for the next stage. However, I do have some thoughts:
- IM is getting damn competitive
- I think the name of your medical school probably matters more than you would expect for IM
- Do not put any weight into post-interview correspondence
- Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst (i.e. rank enough programs). I'm just glad I ended up somewhere I really loved.

Congrats to everyone who matched where they wanted!