Official 2014-2015 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard from UC Davis?

Members don't see this ad.

I have contacted several programs that are still conducting interviews and some which have not offered ANY interviews yet. Anyone know what the latest interview has been or can be?

As far as UC-Davis, one of our fellows was offered Sept 25 last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have contacted several programs that are still conducting interviews and some which have not offered ANY interviews yet. Anyone know what the latest interview has been or can be?

As far as UC-Davis, one of our fellows was offered Sept 25 last year.

Can you please mention what programs? Do they answer questions or just say will contact you through email only?. Thank you

Hi all! What's your general opinion on the Cards fellowship at Vandy? Due to professional and personal reasons I am planning to highly rank this program but I would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks!

Which one would you rank first : Allegheny General Hospital or Lehigh Valley Hospital?

Just received an IV invite from Scripps Clinic yesterday.

Hello all,
I have an interview in Chicago/ Advocate Illinois Masconic that I would like to switch from Oct 17th to Oct 27th, would any one be interested in switching dates??

Hi All,
Anyone has any information on Cardiology program at University of New Mexico?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,
Anyone has any information on Cardiology program at University of New Mexico?

Went for IV to UNM couple weeks ago. Wonderful weather (dry), amazing surroundings and super nice people. For outdoorsy people for sure because the city is not too vibrant. Great vibe in the program which only has general cards so fellows do a lot including PPM/AICD or even ablations with EP attending or STEMI calls (obviously don't stent) if they want to. Fellows seem super happy and program very clinical, all of them hit COCATS LEVEL2 in all subspecialties and all take ECHO and nukes boards before graduation. Don't seem to have problems with intervention/EP placement afterwards. Little research but it's a clinical program and that's what matters most to 95% of fellows anyway. Altogether super nice place but far and awesom if you like outdoors and want general cards or don't mind moving again for intervention/EP. Cheers

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! Are we allowed to tell programs that we are going to rank them first? Is this within the rules?

Hi all! What's your general opinion on the Cards fellowship at Vandy? Due to professional and personal reasons I am planning to highly rank this program but I would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks!

Really liked the program. Seemed to have good camaraderie, a reasonable schedule, and people I know training in the program love it. I ranked it second only because I was told by the person that I hope to have as my future boss that he liked to hire people from my current training program.

Other than top notch program, how would we see the competitiveness of programs? It is not always true that community program or program in rural area is less competitive?

Did anyone interview at University of Nebraska, U Mass and Darmouth-Hitchcock? any opinion on any of these will be highly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation

Did anyone interview at University of Nebraska, U Mass and Darmouth-Hitchcock? any opinion on any of these will be highly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation

UMass is a great clinical program plus research and fellows get good experience in all subspecialties but don't know much more.

Is it safe to say the invitation seasons is over?

Should we start reviewing programs?

Mount Sinai (clinical track) was a big disappointment. They should rename the program to Elmhurst-Mount Sinai community program (old name was "urban community program"). During the first and second year, fellows spent 90% and ~ 50% of their rotations at Elmhurst hospital (city hospital in Queens). During the three years of fellowship, fellows have call and weekly clinic at Elmhurst. Although third year fellows can spend more time at Mount Sinai, autonomy becomes an issue (mainly in the cath lab were Sharma and his army of interventional fellows perform most of the procedures). As a result of the excessive time spent at Elmhurst, fellows are barely exposed to teaching conferences led by Mount Sinai cardiologists.

They did not bother to show us Mount Sinai. No Mount Sinai tour. Instead, they put us on a shuttle and sent us to spent most of our day at Elmhurst Hospital.

The Mount Sinai leadership does not seem very involved in this track. The director of Cardiology did not welcome us or interviewed candidates. I talked to other fellows who confirmed that Valentin Fuster was at the hospital, however, he did not bother to spent 5 minutes with us. In my other interviews, directors and chairmen/chairwomen of Cardiology usually welcome and interview candidates. Dr. Fuster's absence made us feel that the he is not very committed to this track and that fellows are more Elmhurst fellows than Sinai fellows.

This program should not be "marketed" as a Mount Sinai fellowship. They should add the words "Elmhurst hospital" to the program name in ERAS.

I guess interview season is over.
Couple question for ppl who interviewed at UT-Houston , how did you guys like your interview day. I have mixed opinions from different ppl, so confused what to think about that program

In response to the Mount Sinai clinical track (Elmhurst), how are the hours?

Hope everyone doing great with their interviews.

I had a question regarding making phone calls for places that you are going to rank high. Do you guys think its appropriate to have someone ( a cardiologist) call in to put in a good word for you. When is the best timing? Is an email recommending you appropriate or a phone call better? And lastly, when is the best timing for a phone call?

I appreciate your help with this.

Does anyone have a list of Echo or Nuclear Med fellowships? I think its time to start thinking of back up plans..

Couple question for ppl who interviewed at UT-Houston , how did you guys like your interview day. I have mixed opinions from different ppl, so confused what to think about that program

Mine was awesome. Very friendly and laid back atmosphere and happy chiefs. Attendings also cool and relaxed. I am aware of those old reviews and that "room in the basement" notion but it was not true in my case. Full review to follow..

Should we start reviewing programs?

Mount Sinai (clinical track) was a big disappointment. They should rename the program to Elmhurst-Mount Sinai community program (old name was "urban community program"). During the first and second year, fellows spent 90% and ~ 50% of their rotations at Elmhurst hospital (city hospital in Queens). During the three years of fellowship, fellows have call and weekly clinic at Elmhurst. Although third year fellows can spend more time at Mount Sinai, autonomy becomes an issue (mainly in the cath lab were Sharma and his army of interventional fellows perform most of the procedures). As a result of the excessive time spent at Elmhurst, fellows are barely exposed to teaching conferences led by Mount Sinai cardiologists.

They did not bother to show us Mount Sinai. No Mount Sinai tour. Instead, they put us on a shuttle and sent us to spent most of our day at Elmhurst Hospital.

The Mount Sinai leadership does not seem very involved in this track. The director of Cardiology did not welcome us or interviewed candidates. I talked to other fellows who confirmed that Valentin Fuster was at the hospital, however, he did not bother to spent 5 minutes with us. In my other interviews, directors and chairmen/chairwomen of Cardiology usually welcome and interview candidates. Dr. Fuster's absence made us feel that the he is not very committed to this track and that fellows are more Elmhurst fellows than Sinai fellows.

This program should not be "marketed" as a Mount Sinai fellowship. They should add the words "Elmhurst hospital" to the program name in ERAS.

I just want to give a different viewpoint because my personal experience is in stark contrast to your post, which is why I think it is difficult to judge a program based on one interview day.

Time spent at Elmhurst was a positive and not a negative. It complemented the time spent at Sinai well. It allowed us to become comfortable with all bread and butter cardiology, allowed us to see and diagnose rare cardiovascular diseases due to the patient population, and allowed for near-full autonomy. Sinai was the opposite - tertiary referral center with already-known diagnoses that need a complex procedure/intervention with multiple cardiology specialties involved in each patient (CHF, EP, interventional, etc.). During the first year, 36 weeks are spent at Elmhurst (a lot but not 90%). Second year is split, and third year can be whatever the fellow wants it to be. Most fellows end up spending most of their echo and cath time at Elmhurst due to the better experience. Clinic also at Elmhurst was a fantastic experience. It was busy (13-14 patients scheduled, most of which show up), but the clinic runs very smoothly for a city hospital (nurses did everything for you, there was total continuity of care) and you function as the attending.

When you are at Sinai for the month, you go to conferences there. The first two months of first year, all conferences are at Sinai regardless if you are at Sinai or Elmhurst later in the day. Leadership is equally involved in both programs. Fuster is more involved in the investigator track fellows because those fellows rotate through the Fuster fellow rotation, which is a 24/7 concierge service for Fuster's patients that the fellows need to take call for. The clinical track fellows are more involved with Halperin.

It's a unique program in NY that provides a comprehensive clinical and academic experience. Probably the only program that comes close is NYU. Every fellow that goes through it is very happy with the experience. It's certainly not a program for everyone though.

In response to the Mount Sinai clinical track (Elmhurst), how are the hours?

Hours at Elmhurst are usually 8-5. Sinai varies depending which rotation, but most end around 6-7, except for cath which is 9 pm.

I just want to give a different viewpoint because my personal experience is in stark contrast to your post, which is why I think it is difficult to judge a program based on one interview day.

Time spent at Elmhurst was a positive and not a negative. It complemented the time spent at Sinai well. It allowed us to become comfortable with all bread and butter cardiology, allowed us to see and diagnose rare cardiovascular diseases due to the patient population, and allowed for near-full autonomy. Sinai was the opposite - tertiary referral center with already-known diagnoses that need a complex procedure/intervention with multiple cardiology specialties involved in each patient (CHF, EP, interventional, etc.). During the first year, 36 weeks are spent at Elmhurst (a lot but not 90%). Second year is split, and third year can be whatever the fellow wants it to be. Most fellows end up spending most of their echo and cath time at Elmhurst due to the better experience. Clinic also at Elmhurst was a fantastic experience. It was busy (13-14 patients scheduled, most of which show up), but the clinic runs very smoothly for a city hospital (nurses did everything for you, there was total continuity of care) and you function as the attending.

When you are at Sinai for the month, you go to conferences there. The first two months of first year, all conferences are at Sinai regardless if you are at Sinai or Elmhurst later in the day. Leadership is equally involved in both programs. Fuster is more involved in the investigator track fellows because those fellows rotate through the Fuster fellow rotation, which is a 24/7 concierge service for Fuster's patients that the fellows need to take call for. The clinical track fellows are more involved with Halperin.

It's a unique program in NY that provides a comprehensive clinical and academic experience. Probably the only program that comes close is NYU. Every fellow that goes through it is very happy with the experience. It's certainly not a program for everyone though.

Hours at Elmhurst are usually 8-5. Sinai varies depending which rotation, but most end around 6-7, except for cath which is 9 pm.

I believe they added a one more day for interview in November for the Sinai clinical track. I dont seem to have the email anymore, does someone still have the date of the last interview date? thanks

Hi everyone. Just a quick question. Once we certify the rank order list in NRMP does it mean we cannot make changes after that or can we recertify eny number of times until November 12th? please let me know

Any opinions on the clinical training at UCLA compared to similar academic programs that tend to be more balanced in terms of clinical vs research (i.e. UCSD, UTSW, WashU, Vanderbilt, Emory)? They seemed to boast about their STAR program quite a bit, but I didn't really get a great sense of the clinical track, especially with regards to procedural volumes for cath and ability to get broad level 2 training. Sounds like there was some concern about low volumes across the board in the past (based on secondhand info from people at other programs in SoCal), but maybe that's changed with the addition of the VA? Here's what I could glean from the interview day:

UCLA

Pros
-4 different hospitals provide a diverse patient mix
-CCU at Reagan seems to get a good mix of really sick patients; presumably high volume
-EP seemed strong, but didn't great a great sense of the other subspecialty areas
-no advanced fellows at Olive View, so general fellows get more hands-on experience in the labs
-Fellows seemed happy
-Great weather and lots to do outside of the hospital in SoCal

Cons
-high cost of living
-4 hospitals means dealing with different EMR systems and geographically separate campuses
-given the emphasis on STAR program (and with a PD who is a STAR graduate), couldn't tell if clinical track fellows get the same attention and mentorship
-some question of overall volumes (procedures, imaging, etc.) based on secondhand info

Which programs do usually let top candidates know that they will be ranked to match? Any idea?

Can anyone comment on the University of Miami/Jackson program? Any comments? Thank you

How do these programs compare/how will you rank them? Thanks in advance.

University of South Florida
SUNY at Stony Brook
University of Rochester
University of Texas at Houston

Hope everyone doing great with their interviews.

I had a question regarding making phone calls for places that you are going to rank high. Do you guys think its appropriate to have someone ( a cardiologist) call in to put in a good word for you. When is the best timing? Is an email recommending you appropriate or a phone call better? And lastly, when is the best timing for a phone call?

I appreciate your help with this.

A call never hurts, but it's best from someone that's actually worked with you and has some sort of faculty or teaching appointment. Your PD or IM Chairman would be ideal, or perhaps someone who mentored you on a paper, etc.

Regardless of who calls or emails for you, timing would be before rank order decisions are made, generally about a month before Match day.

Hey guys, did you hear about anyone getting prematch in Cardiology?

Guthrie Robert Packer vs. University of South Dakota. Which one better? Anybody?

Can any one please comment on mount Sinai Miami beach

Last edited:
Can any one please comment on mount Sinai Miami beach
Sorry, I have no idea. I did not interview there. Hopefully, someone will be able to provide you with some information. Best of luck.

Which one would you rank first : Allegheny General Hospital or Lehigh Valley Hospital?

I interviewed at Lehigh valley. A very great community program. The faculty acknowledge that the fellows work "hard" because of the volume. I actually see that as a good thing. The volume is great. I did not interview at Allegheny General Hospital. So, I would not be able to comment. However, out of all the community programs I interviewed at, Lehigh Valley tops all of them. Best of luck.

Mine was awesome. Very friendly and laid back atmosphere and happy chiefs. Attendings also cool and relaxed. I am aware of those old reviews and that "room in the basement" notion but it was not true in my case. Full review to follow..

My interview at UT-Houston was great as well. TMC is huge. We did some walking around the day I interviewed, looking for where to go. Otherwise, I had a good interview experience there. The fellows look happy. I am impressed with the program.