Official 2014-2015 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Results were already mailed!

Members don't see this ad.

well....where did everybody match?!

UW Seattle Cardiology!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to share with everybody, and next years class. I am a Caribbean US IMG, average USMLE scores, community program at a NY Hospital. Worked my butt off to make connections, and was successful in matching in Cardiology.

Looking back, I feel the biggest most important aspect of my application is connections, who you know, how much they are willing to go to for you (phone calls), and how influential they are in the Cardiology world. If you are an applicant similar to me (US IMG/community prog/average USMLE scores/avg research), this I believe is very impt to have. In addition, looking at the stats, Cardiology is getting slightly less competitive each year, which will help many who are truly passionate about it. I hope this will help future applicants and encourage more to apply next year, as anything is possible.

Matched at my #3 I am happy with what I got, and I hope everyone is also happy.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG...I matched

For future applicants I recommend the following
1. If possible go to the strongest residency program possible. From there it makes things easier. Otherwise you have to work twice as hard as everybody.
2. Work your butt off during residency. A very strong letter of recommendation from faculty and PD making calls for you is important.
3. Research. Nowadays everybody is doing research. Make sure you at least do one research project which you are passionate about and be able to talk about it. Present at ACP, ACC, AHA any meeting that you can get something accepted
4. Contacts are very important especially from where graduates from your residency program have previously trained at. Make contacts with past alumni and faculty that you meet at meetings.

For those who didn't match don't despair. Come back stronger next year ( I saw some colleagues who actually didn't match last year, didn't give up and came back strongly this year).

I really appreciate everyone taking time out to post their experiences.

I just wanted to say that hard work always pays off. I was working as hospitalist for 5 years for immigration purposes.

Finally, got the opportunity to do research at a top tier program. Worked my way through and finally matched!

As long as you work hard and are passionate about Cardiology your dream will eventually come true.

My best wishes to all future applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
2015 MATCH STATISTICS (Cardiology)

-1134 applicants (by far, the most popular fellowship)
-----824 matched (~73%)
-------------U.S. grads 431 (52%)
-------------U.S. foreign 87 (11%)
-------------Ostheopathic 42 (5%)
-------------Foreign 263 (32%)
-------------Canadian 1 (0%)

Last edited:
2015 MATCH STATISTICS (Cardiology)

-1134 applicants (by far, the most popular fellowship)
-----824 matched (~73%)
-------------U.S. grads 431 (52%)
-------------U.S. foreign 87 (11%)
-------------Ostheopathic 42 (5%)
-------------Foreign 263 (32%)
-------------Canadian 1 (0%)
do you have the official link where you saw the match result?

Matched, extremely happy and excited! Great program.

Congrats to all and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No match for me, thinking about HF fellow to strengthen my CV, any place still looking for 1 year sub-specialty fellow? [email protected]

Congrats everyone! Hope you all got your best picks.

[QUOTE="Looking back, I feel the biggest most important aspect of my application is connections, who you know, how much they are willing to go to for you (phone calls), and how influential they are in the Cardiology world.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with this. For this fellowship, it's not what you know or have done, but who you know and have been.

Matched, IMG from community program. Matched in a University program. Very happy. I worked very hard for this. It does not come easy !!

Reactions: 1 users
I matched into one of my top 5 programs. I just want to encourage everyone especially the IMGs that will be applying in the nearest future. It is doable. I did not match into my number one program but I know three IMGs that matched to their number one University program. I matched to a University program myself. I received more than 16 interview invites.

IMG/residency in a community program/GC holder/CMR/great USMLE scores/tons of posters but zero publications. However, principal investigator in a grant supported prospective study and a research associate at a University program.

Best of luck to everyone.

UCLA!

Lessons learned: a strong CV, good mentorship and strong advocacy are all necessary to end up exactly where you want.

Also --programs will contact you prior to the match goes in to tell you they like you, but I would not let this affect how you rank. People can get burned this way.

Just wanted to share with everybody, and next years class. I am a Caribbean US IMG, average USMLE scores, community program at a NY Hospital. Worked my butt off to make connections, and was successful in matching in Cardiology.

Looking back, I feel the biggest most important aspect of my application is connections, who you know, how much they are willing to go to for you (phone calls), and how influential they are in the Cardiology world. If you are an applicant similar to me (US IMG/community prog/average USMLE scores/avg research), this I believe is very impt to have. In addition, looking at the stats, Cardiology is getting slightly less competitive each year, which will help many who are truly passionate about it. I hope this will help future applicants and encourage more to apply next year, as anything is possible.

Man I couldn't agree more

IMG/ visa/ no cardiology papers/ some posters in ACP/ 5 years out of residency and current hosptalist/ only 1 interview at the university program from the program i currently work at/ bam... got the spot. two things. Luck and who you know.

Applied and did not get any interviews and not applying this year.
Profile: H1, 99s in steps, solid research and case presentations; 15 posters with 3 oral, 2 national awards for research, 1 publication, best outgoing resident, atleast 3 good letters and 1 formal one. Applied to about 100 programs....0 interviews.
I am not interested in going through that pain anymore.
I am happy with my 300K as a hospitalist.