Official 2014-2015 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes u cant de-assign a letter. However if you submit three letters you still have a spot for a 4th letter and can upload when ready. This is my understanding so far

We will find out tomorrow. In all the madness of this process, are you guys planning to submit early in the morning or by the end of the day? I have busy service right now so def I wont be able to do it in the morning. I guess I'm a little compulsive now :)

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, how do you transmit ECFMG status report to programs. I see that mine has been showing as uploaded per EFDO link in ERAS. But when I click on programs, there is no option to check this…? Please let me know. Thanks.

What time July 15 you can start applying. Are you assigning and keeping programs ready on ErAs. Can you save them or you have to do it only when it opens tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under medical licensure, What does "Board Certified" mean?
Meaning IM board mainly? or ECFMG or any board including ones from outside of US.

Here is a description in that section.
Board certification is a voluntary process that a physician undergoes to assure the public that he or she has successfully completed an approved educational program and the appropriate examinations to practice in a particular specialty or sub-specialty.

Meaning IM board mainly? or ECFMG or any board including ones from outside of US.

Board certification is a voluntary process that a physician undergoes to assure the public that he or she has successfully completed an approved educational program and the appropriate examinations to practice in a particular specialty or sub-specialty.
That means, Internal Medicine etc. Not ECFMG. Prog are getting ECFMG cert. separately as a part of application.

Hi, I have a quick question. Maybe some one already have partially addressed this issue.

I am currently in a research fellowship. I have 5 letters, one from PD, one from my research fellowship director who is very renowned, one from another clinical and research mentor at the reputed institution I am working at all of which I will be uploading.

The 4th letter I am not sure which one to include: (1) Very nice letter written from one of a cardiologist who is not well known but can comment on my clinical skills since we worked together for 3 years and did research together OR (2) from my PHD Associate at the reputed institution where I am doing my research fellowship who cant comment on my clinical skills.

So far I already have 2 letters describing my research skills, and was not sure to use the lesser known cardiologist letter, which I am sure is very well written documenting my clinical skills or another research focused LOR.

Please advice, right now I have assigned the PHD letter to research heavy University programs and the clinical cardiologist letter to community programs? Not sure if that would be the way to go!

Thanks a million in advance.

Yes Cardiology1979 is right, it means Board certification in IM or any other specialty, not ECFMG.

Wrong forum, I know, but no response from the rheum forum...
I have 4 LORS, and really don't want to submit 4 unless I have to. I looked at program websites, and most don't even have updated websites, let alone requirements.
Should I wing it and submit 3, or will that put me out of the running if the program wanted 4?

One thing for sure is that if you have 4 letter and ERAS can accommodate that there should not be any reservations, unless you think the 4 th letter is mediocre!

Thanks guys! :) My forum is asleep, so I apologize for having to post here.
Also ERAS isn't letting me apply , am I being neurotic and applying too early?
Ive been on hold with them forever!!!!

Thanks guys for my board Board certification question!

Can anybody answer my query please... I am waiting to apply to programs.

Thanks in advance.

Hi buffalobills
I asked the same question and I ended up using the clinical cardiology one instead of PhD mentor because my PhD was before residency and it was all basic research even though my PhD mentor is well known in his field. Hope this helps.

Hi buffalobills
I asked the same question and I ended up using the clinical cardiology one instead of PhD mentor because my PhD was before residency and it was all basic research even though my PhD mentor is well known in his field. Hope this helps.

Thank you so very much... I guess I will do the same....

Members don't see this ad :)
cli
Hi, I have a quick question. Maybe some one already have partially addressed this issue.

I am currently in a research fellowship. I have 5 letters, one from PD, one from my research fellowship director who is very renowned, one from another clinical and research mentor at the reputed institution I am working at all of which I will be uploading.

The 4th letter I am not sure which one to include: (1) Very nice letter written from one of a cardiologist who is not well known but can comment on my clinical skills since we worked together for 3 years and did research together OR (2) from my PHD Associate at the reputed institution where I am doing my research fellowship who cant comment on my clinical skills.

So far I already have 2 letters describing my research skills, and was not sure to use the lesser known cardiologist letter, which I am sure is very well written documenting my clinical skills or another research focused LOR.

Please advice, right now I have assigned the PHD letter to research heavy University programs and the clinical cardiologist letter to community programs? Not sure if that would be the way to go!

Thanks a million in advance.
The one from clinical cardiologist (you have done both research and clinical stuff with him/her)

Is it a good idea giving up on H1 visa and move to J1 program? But, do programs invite if they see current visa as H1 on the application?

@buffalobills ..I would go with the cardiologist letter who talks about your clinical skills, the other 2 letters spoke about your research already...

if they see h1 they do not assume u will switch, that's my experience

i applied, hundreds of clicks, good luck to everybody

Is it a good idea giving up on H1 visa and move to J1 program? But, do programs invite if they see current visa as H1 on the application?

Question is are you willing to switch to J1. Shouldnt be a problem unless you are from India or China, then you are looking for 10+ years of Green card wait after completing your fellowship.

How many programs people are applying specially img. I applied to 50 this morning. Are programs already downloading?

How many programs people are applying specially img. I applied to 50 this morning. Are programs already downloading?

If you are IMG, like me then maybe you should research and apply to more programs. Now a days the competition is very high, and the more you apply the better. Programs are downloading, almost half of the programs I applied downloaded all my documents. Best of luck.

If you are IMG, like me then maybe you should research and apply to more programs. Now a days the competition is very high, and the more you apply the better. Programs are downloading, almost half of the programs I applied downloaded all my documents. Best of luck.[/QUOTE

Hi there,
It isn't that important, but probably you are mistaken about programs already "downloading" apps. The application is available to programs, and very few have downloaded (once downloaded it changes color from grey to light blue).

Just thought of sharing with you. Cheers.

can any one guess which will have more weight for cardio fellowship - MPH from Johns Hopkins versus chief year

Chief year from Johns Hopkins

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Are you guys doing different pS for each program or made one general and assigning to all

Guys question, under ADTS tab first it says Not yet retrieved than it changes to black date and hour and eventually to bluish date and hour. What is the meaning of that?
Probably it is not the most important thing right now but I'm just curious.

Guys question, under ADTS tab first it says Not yet retrieved than it changes to black date and hour and eventually to bluish date and hour. What is the meaning of that?
Probably it is not the most important thing right now but I'm just curious.

Blue means the program downloaded your application.

Thank you Cardiology1979 you are right, only a few have been downloaded and change color when that happens.... Cheers...

can any one guess which will have more weight for cardio fellowship - MPH from Johns Hopkins versus chief year

Bloomberg School of public health is very reputed and the MPH will add much weight age, but chief year is always preferable. If you have both its golden!

dumb question but when you click 'apply to programs' tab, does it just auto apply? or are there other steps

It seems one of my LoR checkboxes is disabled since it has not been uploaded. Can we add that LoR later after applying it, or do I have to wait (I also encounter "LoR lock policy" see below) until it gets uploaded? My understanding is if you select 3 LoRs and apply it, you can still add 4th letter once it becomes active (uploaded). But if you choose 4 LoRs on initial applying, you can't swap the letter that comes in later.
Thanks!

LoR lock policy: LoR selections will be locked upon applying to a program or when assigning a LoR to a program you previously applied to. Once a LoR selection is locked you will not be able to change it. You may only change your selection prior to applying to a program. Keep in mind that you may only assign up to 4 LoRs to any given program.

Last edited:
It seems one of my LoR checkboxes is disabled since it has not been uploaded. Can we add that LoR later after applying it, or do I have to wait (I also encounter "LoR lock policy" see below) until it gets uploaded? My understanding is if you select 3 LoRs and apply it, you can still add 4th letter once it becomes active (uploaded). But if you choose 4 LoRs on initial applying, you can't swap the letter that comes in later.
Thanks!

LoR lock policy: LoR selections will be locked upon applying to a program or when assigning a LoR to a program you previously applied to. Once a LoR selection is locked you will not be able to change it. You may only change your selection prior to applying to a program. Keep in mind that you may only assign up to 4 LoRs to any given program.
Yes. once you select and apply with 4, you are done. If you chose < 4 and apply, you can always add extra letters to make it to 4 (even after applying!)

Urgent Question?
I was wondering if I could change something in my PS and assign the new one to the programs already applied (but not turned blue meaning not downloaded).
Thanks.

Urgent Question?
I was wondering if I could change something in my PS and assign the new one to the programs already applied (but not turned blue meaning not downloaded).
Thanks.
Yes, of course, even for programs that have downloaded. I did that yesterday (my old PS had some formatting issue). If somebody has printed your PS to read, then it is done (and the chances of that are 0%)

Hi everyone,
My letters before showed up on eras within couple of hours of being uploaded. However, my last letter writer told me he uploaded my letter last evening and nothing is showing up till now. Is it taking longer now? Or do I need to contact my letter writer just to make sure that the letter was successfully uploaded. I do not want to apply without this letter. I am becoming paranoid that I'm yet to applied. Thanks. Best of luck to everyone.

One of my letter writers uploaded one Sunday night - it's up. Another uploaded it about 12 pm yesterday, that's still pending, so I'm assuming it's going to be a while until they get to yours but probably before tomorrow afternoon given the rate they're working at.

Thanks cardiology1979. I changed my PS - just wanted to move couple sentences around and assigned it to all programs. Hopefully it will go through fine.

My letter is finally showing up and I've applied. however, my personal statement is showing as "not uploaded to post office". Am I doing anything wrong? Do I need to do anything? Thank you.

I have a question. I am currently on H1B, however I have a valid EAD and hopefully will be able to secure a green card within the next few months. Anyone knows what is the best thing to write in the question are you a US Citizen? Should I write pending application for permanent resident or should I state that I am currently on H1B and I will not need visa sponsorship and will use my EAD. Any advice appreciated. Thanks