Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And. Here. We. Go. ~1 month till application starts up. I figure the questions will start rolling in.

Members don't see this ad.

I am working on my ERAS worksheet so I can just cut and copy when the applications starts up, I have a couple questions:

1. I did an away rotation as a med student at a big name cancer center and I did a presentation that was in front of the majority of attending and fellows. Should I include this in my presentations section?

2. For abstracts that have been accepted as an oral/poster presentation which are now published in a journal supplement (i.e. Journal of Thoracic Oncology for the World Lung Conference) do we include both in our ERAS or should we just limit it to the presentations section.?

3. For the experiences sections, I am only including the activities that were pretty substantial from Undergrad and Medical school and cutting out some of the non-sense that was on my residency application. Do most people include all their medical school activities?

Thanks!

I am working on my ERAS worksheet so I can just cut and copy when the applications starts up, I have a couple questions:

1. I did an away rotation as a med student at a big name cancer center and I did a presentation that was in front of the majority of attending and fellows. Should I include this in my presentations section?
Yes, that's fine. If you've already got a bunch of stuff, this will just look like padding though.

2. For abstracts that have been accepted as an oral/poster presentation which are now published in a journal supplement (i.e. Journal of Thoracic Oncology for the World Lung Conference) do we include both in our ERAS or should we just limit it to the presentations section.?
Just put it in the presentations section. We all know that this stuff gets "published" but nobody cares.

3. For the experiences sections, I am only including the activities that were pretty substantial from Undergrad and Medical school and cutting out some of the non-sense that was on my residency application. Do most people include all their medical school activities?
Yes please. Time to stop thinking like a med student and start thinking like somebody applying for a real job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, is it typical for applicants to hem/onc to have so much research (e.g. 1st author on 5 abstracts, 1 manuscript, 4 poster presentations)? I'm just a med student, but all I've done for research is help recruit patients in a study. Should I really start trying to get involved in research in med school if I hope to match into hem/onc someday?

Last edited:
All good stuff VanNostran... I'm hoping for good answers too. I guess I'll unlurk with a new screename. Lol.

I plan on applying broadly. I failed Step 1 twice and Step 2 and 3 scores were around 220s.

1st author on 5 abstracts and 1 manuscript. Then have maybe 4 poster presentations (2 case reports and 2 research related)

From a community program and an AMG from mid-low tier medical school.

How many places should I apply to? Realistic chances of matching?

The Step 1 fail will be a major red flag. It may get you screened out early. I would apply to every program.

The Step 1 fail will be a major red flag. It may get you screened out early. I would apply to every program.

Hey, thanks for the realistic input. Its an uphill battle and its been that way since the residency application process. Just praying that I get some interviews. I'm ready for anything.

Thanks for the advice! Draft 1 of PS finally done.

Wow, is it typical for applicants to hem/onc to have so much research (e.g. 1st author on 5 abstracts, 1 manuscript, 4 poster presentations)? I'm just a med student, but all I've done for research is help recruit patients in a study. Should I really start trying to get involved in research in med school if I hope to match into hem/onc someday?

Depends. Are you a US Grad or IMG? I read somewhere on NRMP last year that the average US grad who matches had ~2 abstracts/presentations/publications. It's higher for IMGs, I think 5 or 6? So depends. If you're IMG, I think getting a head start and trying to get something published now like a case report isn't a bad idea. Also depends on what your expectations are for a fellowship program. Want to go into a career in academia in a top tier program? They're looking for applicants with lots of research. Want to go into private practice and are perfectly fine training at a community program? Then probably not as important. But I wouldn't stress out about it if you don't have anything going into residency. You would be in the same boat as a lot of other people.

Reactions: 1 user
I think an ASCO (or IALSC, ESMO, ASH, etc) can definitely be listed in two categories, depending on the context. One, it counts as a journal abstract with your name on it, regardless of whether you are first-author, with a citation in the supplement for that journal (eg Blood, JCO, JTO, etc). eg Schmidt, Barnes, et al JCO 2014; Suppl: 4054. Be clear that it is an abstract, not a peer-reviewed paper.
Second, if you are the true author physically presenting it, it should count as an presentation as well (eg 50th ASCO Annual meeting, Clinical therapeutics, Oral session , Chicago IL, May 30, 2014).

So lets say you do an away elective at a particular institution and you get a letter from there and everybody knows you there. Does it make sense to submit that letter or you better of submitting all four letters from outside that program?

So lets say you do an away elective at a particular institution and you get a letter from there and everybody knows you there. Does it make sense to submit that letter or you better of submitting all four letters from outside that program?
Absolutely submit that letter. You don't want to look like you're hiding something.

Absolutely submit that letter. You don't want to look like you're hiding something.

Just to clarify a bit. I worked with the PD from program X and he is writing me a letter. I was wondering if it is weird that he has to read his own letter. I was wondering if he would be more interested in seeing what others have to say about me?
lol Maybe am over thinking this. U most likely right...it is more weird not to submit his letter :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You are over thinking it.

That PD won't read the letter of course, but the 5 or 6 other people there who review your application will. And if he doesn't see his own letter in your file, he might think there was something you didn't like about the program.

Just use it.

How often do fellowship programs offer hotel accommodation during interviews?

None did for me.

That means, except for nearby programs where you can drive, every interview will cost ~500$ for the flight + hotel +/- car rental + extra expenses !!! add that to the ERAS application fees.
This will make me think twice before applying to programs I'm not REALLY interested in.

For those who interviewed at +10 programs last year, could you weigh in on how you managed to do that without selling your clothes?

So a buddy of mine presented a poster in XYZ European Conference. I wasn't there, but I am listed as authors. Later, abstract got published in journal as well (I assume peer reivewed?). Where should i put it in ERAS CAF
1- Other articles or
2- Postor presentation (i wasn't there, so not sure if that would be entirely accurate) or
3- Peer review abstract or
4- Research experience

?????:help:

How often do fellowship programs offer hotel accommodation during interviews?

The majority of programs don't (unlike for IM interviews which is weird)

That means, except for nearby programs where you can drive, every interview will cost ~500$ for the flight + hotel +/- car rental + extra expenses !!! add that to the ERAS application fees.
This will make me think twice before applying to programs I'm not REALLY interested in.

For those who interviewed at +10 programs last year, could you weigh in on how you managed to do that without selling your clothes?

Depends on where you live and how good of an airport your city has but 500$ is a bit of a stretch. I interviewed at +10 programs. That was stupid and I strongly advice against doing that because YES I was broke afterwards. A lot of people now like to play it safe and apply broadly which is fine. but applying is one thing and interviewing is another. You can apply to as many programs as you want IF you have reasons to think your application is not optimal (yes you will pay extra money but nothing crazy) but once the interviews start to come you will get a feeling of how competitive you are during that particular cycle. at that time start narrowing it down and cancel your less desired interviews (as early as possible, PLEASE!). even if you're not the best applicant around, you don't need +10 interviews to match. I truly think that going to 7-8 interviews is enough.

Also I spent all the 2nd half of my PGY-3 paying back the people who covered my work shifts when I had to leave for interviews. This depends on your IM program but I don't think any program will be so accommodating to let you leave for 15 interviews without some sort of payback system. You can schedule your 2 week vacation around that time but keep in mind that not very uncommonly programs will send an interview offer with one or two dates only.

So a buddy of mine presented a poster in XYZ European Conference. I wasn't there, but I am listed as authors. Later, abstract got published in journal as well (I assume peer reivewed?). Where should i put it in ERAS CAF
1- Other articles or
2- Postor presentation (i wasn't there, so not sure if that would be entirely accurate) or
3- Peer review abstract or
4- Research experience

?????:help:

3- Peer reviewed abstract

I don't know why but Asco made me want to pursue a career in industry. Seems really cool, but I will definitely miss patient care.

I don't know why but Asco made me want to pursue a career in industry. Seems really cool, but I will definitely miss patient care.
Top with 10 Reasons To Go Into Industry as an Oncologist
1. Money
2. F*** CMS and insurance companies
3. Money
4. No call
5. Money
6. No patients whining for narcs
7. Money
8. Everyone hates doctors anyway. You're not losing any social standing by going into industry.
9. Money
10. Expense account (AKA money)

So that begs the question, what is the best route to get in? Go to an nci center/fellowship that gives at least 18 months of research with a strong basic science department, developmental therapeutics and clinical trial design?

Go to a place where you can make industry connections. The end.

I had almost no therapeutics or trial design experience and was offered a Novartis "fellowship" that I declined (because it meant moving to Jersey and the guy behind me in line actually wanted to move to Jersey and had that experience). My primary qualification was that I "knew a guy".

FWIW, the "fellowship" paid $185K + housing allowance for 9-5 M-F and included either MBA or MPH if you were interested and wanted to stay for 2 years.

Make connections. The rest is gravy.

Depends on where you live and how good of an airport your city has but 500$ is a bit of a stretch. I interviewed at +10 programs. That was stupid and I strongly advice against doing that because YES I was broke afterwards. A lot of people now like to play it safe and apply broadly which is fine. but applying is one thing and interviewing is another. You can apply to as many programs as you want IF you have reasons to think your application is not optimal (yes you will pay extra money but nothing crazy) but once the interviews start to come you will get a feeling of how competitive you are during that particular cycle. at that time start narrowing it down and cancel your less desired interviews (as early as possible, PLEASE!). even if you're not the best applicant around, you don't need +10 interviews to match. I truly think that going to 7-8 interviews is enough.

That'd be my plan. apply broadly and go to 6 or 7 interviews. I have a very decent shot at my own program (which is not a top program but I'm perfectly fine staying here) so I'm less concerned about not matching.

That'd be my plan. apply broadly and go to 6 or 7 interviews. I have a very decent shot at my own program (which is not a top program but I'm perfectly fine staying here) so I'm less concerned about not matching.

That's always reassuring but be extremely careful about it. we've all heard stories. more in residency than in fellowship but still. if I were you I would keep this in the back of my mind but I would go through the match as if this idea didn't exist.

Where do we include the manuscripts we might be working on for publication, in the application, and also abstract submitted for conferences but pending decision of acceptance and new research projects which are in progress. Thanks

Thanks!
Dear DrVanNorstran, could you please post the ERAS work sheet. I am not sure how it looks like.

Where do we include the manuscripts we might be working on for publication, in the application, and also abstract submitted for conferences but pending decision of acceptance and new research projects which are in progress. Thanks

Research experience

Dear DrVanNorstran, could you please post the ERAS work sheet. I am not sure how it looks like.

Why do you need the worksheet when you can work on the real deal ?? ERAS is officially open for this season. get a token, register in ERAS and start filling up your application

Gutonc, and others I and Lazy doctor have a question, I am copy pasting Lazy doctors question below from a different thread.

The below is in the ERAS application:

If you are a foreign national, outside the US, or currently in the US in valid visa status, please respond:
Will you need "visa sponsorship" through ECFMG (J-1) or the teaching hospital (H1B) in order to participate in US residency training?
Yes No*
*If no, Expected Visa/Employment Authorization (Select all that may apply):

I guess I should just skip this section altogether since green card is not a visa status, correct?
Don't do that. It was answered there already. It's kind of a silly question. You're here as a PR, not on a visa. It's pretty straightforward.

Are 3-4 sentences sufficient to describe a research experience? I feel like anything longer will bore the reader.

Are 3-4 sentences sufficient to describe a research experience? I feel like anything longer will bore the reader.

I think if it's a true research project, you should write a few lines explaining the idea of the project and your role in it. maybe 4-5 lines without too much technical details. That's what I did last year at least.

How important are "Membership in Honorary/Professional Societies" for the fellowship application? I'm only a member of ASCO and SHM, mainly because I can't afford the dues for any other societies. Currently trying for ASH (since it's one of the rare free ones for residents).

How important are "Membership in Honorary/Professional Societies" for the fellowship application? I'm only a member of ASCO and SHM, mainly because I can't afford the dues for any other societies. Currently trying for ASH (since it's one of the rare free ones for residents).
They are irrelevant. They're not harmful, but nobody really cares.

It's OK if you really want to become a member. But don't do it just to boost your CV because that's not counted as "an achievement" for you.

long time follower first time poster
I need your advice guys regarding my situation
I am an foreign graduate on a visa (h1b) and I can't make up my mind if i should apply to hem/onc this year or just be a hospitalist and come back with a green card to maximize my chances
I am afraid I will have to settle down for less if I apply with visa.

to give you more information:
-IMG from india. graduated 1st from med school (dont think it matters)
-usmle 1,2,3 > 250
-residency in mid-tier university program
-research: about 1 year of oncology bench research resulted in many poster presentation, abstracts and a publication in Blood (2nd author, or 1st author given equal contribution that is mentioned, but i guess nobody cares as my name is still listed 2nd) - 3 published case reports (1st author) - 1 published review article (1st author) - a few abstracts in ASH and AACR - a couple other ongoing research projects (including protocol for phase I trial) but i don't think will be published anytime soon.
-will get good letters from medicine PD and 2 oncology faculty and research mentor (none of them is like WOW nationally renowned)

I am interested in academic malignant hematology with focus on translational and clinical research. with having the heavy burden of h1b visa on my back, do you think i stand a chance at a decent place and i mean really decent where i can do meaningful clinical research and prepare myself for academia. I looked at last years thread and most posters who had h1b visas didn't follow through to say if they matched and where they matched. my program has very few IMGs and none of them applied for hemonc in the last few years so my mentor and PD were clueless when i asked them. what do you think? should i throw the dice or it's a waste of my time and money and ego?

Thanks. And Good. I applying to ASH because I'm interested, glad they don't matter for the application.

Does anyone know about the California/PTAL letter for IMGs? I went to Ross and am a U.S. citizen, do I need it for fellowship? If so I guess I will not apply to any Cali programs since it apparently takes months to get the letter not to mention the $500-$1000 fee just to get the letter. On that note, what is California's problem?

Hello guys,
I will be applying in this years match. Query regarding the MPSE. I am an IMG - In residency i submitted an MPSE / Dean letter but not it is very difficult for me to obtain it from my medical school.
- Do most programs look at MPSE / Dean letter for the fellowship?
- If i apply without it, do my chances of interview reduce ?
- If i try to obtain another Dean letter / MPSE from my medical school, it may not be similar to what I had during residency application- Would that be a problem ?

Please advise.
Thanks

long time follower first time poster
I need your advice guys regarding my situation
I am an foreign graduate on a visa (h1b) and I can't make up my mind if i should apply to hem/onc this year or just be a hospitalist and come back with a green card to maximize my chances
I am afraid I will have to settle down for less if I apply with visa.

to give you more information:
-IMG from india. graduated 1st from med school (dont think it matters)
-usmle 1,2,3 > 250
-residency in mid-tier university program
-research: about 1 year of oncology bench research resulted in many poster presentation, abstracts and a publication in Blood (2nd author, or 1st author given equal contribution that is mentioned, but i guess nobody cares as my name is still listed 2nd) - 3 published case reports (1st author) - 1 published review article (1st author) - a few abstracts in ASH and AACR - a couple other ongoing research projects (including protocol for phase I trial) but i don't think will be published anytime soon.
-will get good letters from medicine PD and 2 oncology faculty and research mentor (none of them is like WOW nationally renowned)

I am interested in academic malignant hematology with focus on translational and clinical research. with having the heavy burden of h1b visa on my back, do you think i stand a chance at a decent place and i mean really decent where i can do meaningful clinical research and prepare myself for academia. I looked at last years thread and most posters who had h1b visas didn't follow through to say if they matched and where they matched. my program has very few IMGs and none of them applied for hemonc in the last few years so my mentor and PD were clueless when i asked them. what do you think? should i throw the dice or it's a waste of my time and money and ego?

Apply. If you don't get the caliber of interviews you're hoping for, don't go and start looking for jobs. I think you've got a good application

Hello guys,
I will be applying in this years match. Query regarding the MPSE. I am an IMG - In residency i submitted an MPSE / Dean letter but not it is very difficult for me to obtain it from my medical school.
- Do most programs look at MPSE / Dean letter for the fellowship?
- If i apply without it, do my chances of interview reduce ?
- If i try to obtain another Dean letter / MPSE from my medical school, it may not be similar to what I had during residency application- Would that be a problem ?

Please advise.
Thanks

MSPE for IMGs doesn't matter but it should be there. just upload whatever you got

Apply. If you don't get the caliber of interviews you're hoping for, don't go and start looking for jobs. I think you've got a good application

well that's the question. applying means asking for letters and going through the hassle of application and researching programs but most importantly: paying all that money to ERAS. not to mention the stress and frustration. is it worth applying with this application on h1b visa? do i stand any chance at a decent program (top 20 maybe) ? i know nobody can be sure 100% but i'm just asking for your experience.
@gutonc please?

Where do we upload our MSPE? I do not such one on the AAMC ERAS application.

Last edited:
Where do we upload our MSPE? I do not such one on the AAMC ERAS application.

When u get into Era, click on documents then Home. U will see something about EFDO online services. Click on it and it will take u there. If u are an AMG your med school has to upload it while for IMGs u could upload it yourself

Last edited:
Thank you Robinho. It took me 3-4 hours yesterday to figure that out yesterday. Phew!!

My med school sent me official transcripts and an mspe. I just uploaded them myself.

I'm really nervous about my LOR writers. Besides the program director, all of them are writing grants or going on vacation. How bad is it to have 3 general internal medicine letters? I know I can get letters from them that will be in before august.

is there a way to tell if the LOR writer actually uploaded the letter other than asking him/her? ADTS shows "not uploaded to post office", but I wonder if it will keep saying that until we start assigning programs on July 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.