Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sinking feeling that interviews come will come only when some one cancels...which may be few and far in between

info from an inside fellow- montefiore is going to release their final batch of interviews by this week ending.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone confirm a Scripps invite? When added to the running list, it was quoted as a friend who received the invite. The letter I received at that time stated they would let people know at the end of this month to early September.
I got a similar letter from scripps that they will send invites august end early september

info from an inside fellow- montefiore is going to release their final batch of interviews by this week ending.

I cancelled my Montefiore / Albert Enstein interview last week, so hopefully someone will hear soon from them.

U Cincinnati today. Not sure if I will accept invitation given the midwest location.

I cancelled my Montefiore / Albert Enstein interview last week, so hopefully someone will hear soon from them.

U Cincinnati today. Not sure if I will accept invitation given the midwest location.

Give us Midwesterners a chance! We are a wholesome breed.

My former research supervisor at a top tier/elite program had agreed to write me a recommendation letter in March. I reminded her again in May and she said she would. Eventually she went on a vacation without writing one. She wrote a letter now and emailed it to me. The letter is good but I cannot assign it to programs in ERAS now.

Is it okay to email my programs of interest with this update? Especially since I only have one interview so far. It has been over a month since I heard any positive news.:(

Last edited:
Hi all ,
I am new to this forum..
Does any one know, if they ask medical questions in interviews ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all ,
I am new to this forum..

Not traditionally that I'm aware of... and not at my first interview...
Obviously be able to answer questions about your research though.

Just adding Methodist Houston. Anyone know anything about this program?

Advocate Lutheran General: 08/21
Albert Einstein-Montefiore: 08/08
Albert Einstein-Philadelphia: 08/19
Arizona: 08/21
BIDMC: 07/18
Boston University: 08/07
Brown: 07/30
Case Western: 08/14
Chicago: 08/18
Cincinnati: 08/15
Colorado: 08/12
Columbia: 08/21-22
Connecticut: 08/11
Cook County: 08/22
Cornell: 08/26
Dana Farber/Harvard: 08/06
Dartmouth: 08/18
Drexel: 08/18
Duke: 07/28
ECU: 07/25
Emory:08/14
ETSU: 08/19
Fox Chase: 07/29
Florida: 08/06
Georgetown: 07/30
George Washington: 08/15
Gunderson: 08/21
Illinois-Chicago: 08/08
Iowa: 08/12
Jackson Memorial/Miami: 08/12
Jefferson: 08/13
Johns Hopkins: 08/11
Karmanos/Wayne State University 08/21
Kentucky: 08/08
Lankeanu Medical Center: 08/08
Lehigh Clinic: 08/22
Loma Linda: 7/31
Louisville: 08/01
Loyola: 08/22
LSU-NOLA: 08/07
LSU Shreveport: 08/18
Marshall: 08/21
Massachusetts: 08/22
Mayo Clinic: 08/15
Methodist (Houston): 08/27
MD Anderson: 08/09, 22
Medical College of Wisconsin: 08/21
Medstar/Washington Hospital: 08/06
Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSKCC): 08/18
Moffit/USF: 07/18
Michigan: 07/18
Mt Sinai: 08/11
MUSC: 08/08
NIH: 08/08
Northwestern: 08/12
NSLIJ: 08/08
NYU: 07/28
OHSU: 08/11
Ohio State: 08/21
Oklahoma: 08/18
Orlando Health: 07/29
Ochsner: 08/18
Penn: 08/11
Pittsburgh: 08/13
Rochester: 07/23
Roger Williams - Boston University: 08/21
Roswell Park: 08/08
Scripps: 08/08
Scott and White: 08/07
St. Elizabeth: 08/14
St. Lukes Roosevelt: 08/25
Stanford: 08/25
Tennessee: 08/12
Texas Tech Lubbock: 7/29
Toledo: 08/26
Tulane: 08/26

Tufts: 08/18
UC Davis: 08/08
UC Irvine: 08/21
UCLA: 08/26
UCLA-Harbor: 07/29
UCLA-Olive View: 08/22
UCSD: 8/15
UCSF: 07/29
UNC: 07/30
USC: 07/31
Utah: 08/08
UT Southwestern: 08/11
Vanderbilt: 07/23
Vermont: 08/07
Virginia: 08/08
Virginia Commonwealth: 07/22
Wake Forest: 08/18
Washington/Fred Hutch: 08/08
Wash U: 08/08
Wisconsin: 08/04
Yale: 07/30

Hi all ,
I am new to this forum..

I was asked about research only. My only interview was more focused on getting to know each other.

My former research supervisor at a top tier/elite program had agreed to write me a recommendation letter in March. I reminded her again in May and she said she would. Eventually she went on a vacation without writing one. She wrote a letter now and emailed it to me. The letter is good but I cannot assign it to programs in ERAS now.

Is it okay to email my programs of interest with this update? Especially since I only have one interview so far. It has been over a month since I heard any positive news.:(

Ugh sorry man, I know how you feel. I don't think most programs like "extra" letters. Maybe she could email it to your realistic top 3?

Just adding Methodist Houston. Anyone know anything about this program?

New program. Got approved last year late in season. They hired two people that I know - one of my senior from residency who was doing research at MD Anderson and also one of acquaintance who was hospitalist there. New program so I do not know the clinical focus and inputs about faculties and or research as such but you are like 2 blocks away from MD Anderson and they may have some affiliation I think.

Thanks for the info. It seems like they have rotations at mdacc in specialty clinics. I'm really curious about their program structure. Thanks again

Thanks for the info. It seems like they have rotations at mdacc in specialty clinics. I'm really curious about their program structure. Thanks again
I will try to find out from my friends and let u know if I hear something. They are MIA since
I told them to provide my reference :).

seems like it was a lot busier this time last year.

NCI coordinator told me that I am on the interview wait list and will inform me if it changes. I wonder if that's just an indirect rejection..

Allegheny western and tufts rejection as well!

any repeat invites today? specially IMGs... I have a feeling that the surge in AMG enrollments that happened during residency is now catching up with us in fellowship and skewing probabilities for those on a visa ..

any repeat invites today? specially IMGs... I have a feeling that the surge in AMG enrollments that happened during residency is now catching up with us in fellowship and skewing probabilities for those on a visa ..

I think you are right, still waiting to hear from many programs :/
I was hoping that more people were opting for primary care may b v get lucky with fellowships. Seems to be more applicants this yr as per all the rejection emails

"
I think you are right, still waiting to hear from many programs :/
I was hoping that more people were opting for primary care may b v get lucky with fellowships. Seems to be more applicants this yr as per all the rejection emails"

unfortunately .. as per the lastest NRMP tables , the number of IMG applicants remained stable while there were 500 more fellowship AMG applicants , also notably 500 more AMG applicants matched from last year. US allopathic graduates were the group posting strongest increase .. a trend likely to continue this year. This may also have caused US allopathic grads to apply to more programs than traditional.

Last edited:
Yes US med school class size has been progressively increasing every year+ more DO schools . prediction is that by 2015 there will be AS many US trained MD + DO med students to cover ALL residency positions.

I haven't even received rejections from the programs that sent out rejections above....tufts , allegheny etc

and another extremely slow day ... I hope it's just a quiet period until cancellations start and it gets busy again

The late invitations, whether first-time or repeat, make scheduling so difficult for everyone! Not to mention ridiculously expensive...

This is getting pretty weird. I wish everyone had Emory's program coordinator.

i think the season is over :)
I think you need to back off! lol
Let's not start stressing out too early. The season ends on Dec 2nd and realistically on ROL deadline.

Just adding some fun to the slowness and boring week :)

Me=high school boy. Minnesota=secret crush that won't call and just might be going out with someone else.

The application process has messed with my neurons

Me=high school boy. Minnesota=secret crush that won't call and just might be going out with someone else.

The application process has messed with my neurons

Haha no offense but she's probably going out with someone else. I don't think any program hasn't sent out at least one batch of interviews by now. But I agree that it's very strange no one on this forum heard from Minnesota or CCF !! both should be decent size programs that send out plenty of interviews

Haha no offense but she's probably going out with someone else. I don't think any program hasn't sent out at least one batch of interviews by now. But I agree that it's very strange no one on this forum heard from Minnesota or CCF !! both should be decent size programs that send out plenty of interviews

Haha, man who am I going to take to prom?!

Rutgers, Minnesota, CCF, Baylor, Maryland, Indiana and Henry Ford are all programs with 5 or more resident. I'm pretty surprised that they are not on SDN. I have a feeling we will here more on the board tomorrow and early next week.

Haha, man who am I going to take to prom?!

Rutgers, Minnesota, CCF, Baylor, Maryland, Indiana and Henry Ford are all programs with 5 or more resident. I'm pretty surprised that they are not on SDN. I have a feeling we will here more on the board tomorrow and early next week.
What happened to your crush on "Happy bird" ?

I just wish to get at least couple of interviews. Did not think requiring H1B visa can be such a problem. I checked with some programs last few days and all saying that they received like more than 350-500 applications and so of course my application will never be considered. Just looking back at all the countless hours and work put in bench research and the clinical research, time spent at MD Anderson getting publications from there, I thought I deserve at least one or two interviews. Not counting down that I will not get any as it is still on for the season but just disheartened about the season so far. I just hope the Friday brings some good news in the ERAS inbox.

Reactions: 2 users
Come on guys! the season is still on. no thoughts of self-harm are allowed before the end of September :)

got some MDACC love today (repeat, obviously) - season ain't over yet guys, keep your heads up.

Good evening everyone. Lady Happy Bird in da house.

I would definitely say the interview season is NOT over yet. I think it is reasonable to expect to have several interviews by this time, but I would not say that a lack of invitation = rejection at this point. Among the five programs listed above that have not sent out invitations yet (or at least to our knowledge on this forum), I know from inside info that one of those programs has not yet sent out their first batch. Some programs were very rapid to send out interviews this season, while others had program coordinators that were on vacation for a good chunk of July, which may have slowed things down.

Keep in mind also that people are in the midst of cancelling interviews now, and there will be another large wave of cancellations in September for people that don't want to go to many of their October interviews. I was at an interview earlier this week, and another applicant and I were talking about how we probably won't have much time, energy or money to do a lot of the October interviews, so there will probably be additional cancellations in early to mid September.

Dr. VanNostran, you have already gotten some great interviews so far, keep your head up. You wouldn't have gotten those interviews without great qualifications and I'm sure you will do great in this match.

To the rest of you all, best of luck. Sometimes amazing things happen when we least expect it. My co-resident applied to heme-onc fellowship last year and his last interview invitation was in mid September, so it ain't over until it is really over. :oops:)

Hi just joining the forum. Good luck to everyone :)

Allegheny general invite 8/28

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.