Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When a letter is uploaded it shows up as uploaded at ADTS

Members don't see this ad.

Do pictures take a really long time to show up? It's been verified since 06/12 but it's still not in adts?

Do pictures take a really long time to show up? It's been verified since 06/12 but it's still not in adts?

Mine showed up in ADTS a day after I uploaded it to EFDO along with my transcript and MSPE

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I just resubmitted mine and it showed up.

Dear Friends,
I can really use some help here
I think my mentors are not going to be able to upload the LORs before say 5th July. I have 3 LORs pending from "big shots" so I would like to wait till they upload ?
do you guys think its a good idea?

would it be too late to apply by 1oth July?
Please advise. will really appreciate

I am an IMG very very good USMLE scores [ dont know if those matter]
From a university affiliated community program
Chief residents
Lots of awards during residency
2 posters at ACP won the first prize
3 abstracts at ASCO- first author in one of them
2 case report - submitted- first author
Great LORs
Close to 1 year of clinical research
Need VISA!
Applying to close to 55 programs

What do you guys think?
What are my chances?
any advise?

Dear Friends,
I can really use some help here
I think my mentors are not going to be able to upload the LORs before say 5th July. I have 3 LORs pending from "big shots" so I would like to wait till they upload ?
do you guys think its a good idea?

would it be too late to apply by 1oth July?
Please advise. will really appreciate

Programs can only download application on the 15th so u have time

I have a question regarding research experience. Should we include each project as a different research experience? And if we did 2 projects during the same period, do we put them together in 1 or mention as separate research experience in the application on ERAS. Thanks

If a letter is submitted, how long dies it take to show up in adts?

I have a question regarding research experience. Should we include each project as a different research experience? And if we did 2 projects during the same period, do we put them together in 1 or mention as separate research experience in the application on ERAS. Thanks

I did 2 projects with the same mentor, so I listed it as one project.

2of my lors showed up in 12 hrs of submission.

You just made my 0/4 lors much more agonizing lol.

When is a good time to ask if they are working on it? Any suggestions on polite ways to ask?

When is a good time to ask if they are working on it? Any suggestions on polite ways to ask?
My PD asked me to
Remind him which I did, but he seems to busy with the new intern issues and has not uploaded his lot yet. My other attending asked to remind too, but I have not asked him, should remind next week..

Members don't see this ad :)
long time follower first time poster
I need your advice guys regarding my situation
I am an foreign graduate on a visa (h1b) and I can't make up my mind if i should apply to hem/onc this year or just be a hospitalist and come back with a green card to maximize my chances
I am afraid I will have to settle down for less if I apply with visa.

to give you more information:
-IMG from india. graduated 1st from med school (dont think it matters)
-usmle 1,2,3 > 250
-residency in mid-tier university program
-research: about 1 year of oncology bench research resulted in many poster presentation, abstracts and a publication in Blood (2nd author, or 1st author given equal contribution that is mentioned, but i guess nobody cares as my name is still listed 2nd) - 3 published case reports (1st author) - 1 published review article (1st author) - a few abstracts in ASH and AACR - a couple other ongoing research projects (including protocol for phase I trial) but i don't think will be published anytime soon.
-will get good letters from medicine PD and 2 oncology faculty and research mentor (none of them is like WOW nationally renowned)

I am interested in academic malignant hematology with focus on translational and clinical research. with having the heavy burden of h1b visa on my back, do you think i stand a chance at a decent place and i mean really decent where i can do meaningful clinical research and prepare myself for academia. I looked at last years thread and most posters who had h1b visas didn't follow through to say if they matched and where they matched. my program has very few IMGs and none of them applied for hemonc in the last few years so my mentor and PD were clueless when i asked them. what do you think? should i throw the dice or it's a waste of my time and money and ego?
I'm not applying to hemonc and I'm not sure if J1/H1 are very different in terms of applications, but credentials-wise you should do fine! My former chief resident (US IMG on J1, mid-tier Uni program who had a lot of case reports and review articles but no bench stuff/big name publications ended up at BIDMC, and got calls from other great places. Other residents with much less on their CV than you also ended up matching really well. Good Luck.

:)) I did this yesterday: Dear Dr XXXX, don't mean to be a bother but I was looking through my application, and it is recommended to have all our LoRs uploaded by the 1st week of July as it might take 5-7 days for them to be 'visible' to the programs after that."

Is any one else having problems with the sequence of publications in ERAS. My list is not chronological for some reason !!

May be it's a geek thing but I don't want my first author publication in Science to be ranked behind my letter to Penthouse Forum.:laugh:

Is any one else having problems with the sequence of publications in ERAS. My list is not chronological for some reason !!

May be it's a geek thing but I don't want my first author publication in Science to be ranked behind my letter to Penthouse Forum.:laugh:

It automatically orders the publications in alphabetical order...u cant do anything about that.
And whether your publication in science is first or 3rd...it doesn't matter

I am having the same problem. Sending out reminders on Monday. If I don't hear back from them by the end of the week, I am just going to knock on their doors. I am not in a position where I can risk applying without LORs. I don't belong to that pool of applicants with such strong pedigrees to be confident doing that.

I am having the same problem. Sending out reminders on Monday. If I don't hear back from them by the end of the week, I am just going to knock on their doors. I am not in a position where I can risk applying without LORs. I don't belong to that pool of applicants with such strong pedigrees to be confident doing that.

I probably will send out my reminders on Monday or Tuesday as well. It's so frustrating that years of work comes down to depending on 3-4 people writing a letter.

I share your agony. I am also waiting for some letters. But don't be worried about the 5 day quoted. So far the letters that got submitted showed up maximum within one business day. I don't know if this will change closer to deadline. Any letter submitted within next ten days is probably on track

Does your Program Director (medicine residency) letter count as an LOR? As in if a program requires 3 letters then we send the PD letter plus 2 others? Or do we send 3 other letters because the PD letter doesn't count as a normal LOR?

Differs by program, you can assign a max of 4 including your PDs. Some programs want 3 including PDs, some wants PD's+3

is University of Chicago not participating in the NRMP match ?!! it's grayed out in ERAS.

sometimes the programs are grayed out until an unspecified date. I think NIH was like this last year

ATTN IMG/FMGs: did you have to do anything for your ECFMG certificate? I got my token and it said my ECFMG certificate was automatically uploaded to ERAS but I can't find a single thing on ERAS mentioning ECFMG or whether it was uploaded or not. Also, nothing regarding it under ADTS, EFDO, or under "apply to programs." Anyone?

ATTN IMG/FMGs: did you have to do anything for your ECFMG certificate? I got my token and it said my ECFMG certificate was automatically uploaded to ERAS but I can't find a single thing on ERAS mentioning ECFMG or whether it was uploaded or not. Also, nothing regarding it under ADTS, EFDO, or under "apply to programs." Anyone?

Out of curiosity, do programs inter view in August? I want to plan a mini vacation the 2nd week of August. Thanks

My earliest interview was the last week of aug

Nice thanks. Do you remember when usf/moffitt interviewed? I really hope I get an interview there

I'm on a general medicine service from 08/27 to 09/23 and 10/22 to 11/4. I hope i can squeeze in interviews during the madness.

I'm on a general medicine service from 08/27 to 09/23 and 10/22 to 11/4. I hope i can squeeze in interviews during the madness.

You'll be fine. I remember seeing you are applying very broadly (probably too much so, honestly) but having a month carved out, and that month being September, will serve you well.

Hey guys,
Where should I put FACP title in ERAS application?

How are my chances getting into hemeonc?
IMG, high 80's and low 90's scores, Uni aff. Community graduate, working as hospitalist for 3 yrs. 5 peer review publication, 10 abstracts in ASH, ASCO. 1year of clinical research. Don't need VISA, LOR from PD, Chairman who is also heme onc, and research mentor.
I am interested in academia. What kind for of program do you think will take me? Is there any chance getting into top tire programs or it will be just waste of money?

Gutonc could you pls give your input?
Thx

Just a silly observation:

According to the NRMP data (2011 I think) the mean number of publications (and this includes real publications + abstracts + posters + oral presentations) for matched hemonc applicants was 2 for AMGs and 5-8 for IMGs. From reading the SDN hemonc forum for the last 2-3 years, the numbers were quite different (it's like an average of 15 for those who posted their creds). It was always puzzling to me how a resident just like me would pull out 10 research papers in 2 years unless he's a PhD or in PSTP. now I don't know if I should believe the posts or if SDN is a very highly selected group of applicants with impressive creds.

Also the mean Step 1 score for matched applicants was 224 for AMGs and 228 for IMGs. No correlation with the posted numbers here whatsoever. Maybe only the superstars are posting their creds. I don't know.

Just a silly observation:

According to the NRMP data (2011 I think) the mean number of publications (and this includes real publications + abstracts + posters + oral presentations) for matched hemonc applicants was 2 for AMGs and 5-8 for IMGs. From reading the SDN hemonc forum for the last 2-3 years, the numbers were quite different (it's like an average of 15 for those who posted their creds). It was always puzzling to me how a resident just like me would pull out 10 research papers in 2 years unless he's a PhD or in PSTP. now I don't know if I should believe the posts or if SDN is a very highly selected group of applicants with impressive creds.

Also the mean Step 1 score for matched applicants was 224 for AMGs and 228 for IMGs. No correlation with the posted numbers here whatsoever. Maybe only the superstars are posting their creds. I don't know.

Selection bias.
If you had a score of 190...why will you come and post it in an internet forum. The people who have good scores are comfortable posting their numbers. Those who have low scores....also do post here but are non specific and vague and ask questions on how a low score impacts on their application. And most of the IMGs with superb publications most likely started research before getting into residency. A good number of IMG's enter into US residency via research.

Is anybody else having an issue with skipping lines in the ERAS application? For example, in the awards section I want to put each award on a separate line, but when I view the application either in HTML or PDF format, all the lines blend together

Is anybody else having an issue with skipping lines in the ERAS application? For example, in the awards section I want to put each award on a separate line, but when I view the application either in HTML or PDF format, all the lines blend together

Yeah u cant do anything about that. It is annoying. The only thing you can do is increase the space between awards

Hello forum seniors, i am new to the forum and will be applying for Hem/Onc this year. I am in a unique situation and have a question about ERAS application.

I am couple of months off cycle and will be completing my residency in September 2014. I am going to do 4th year chief in another institute till June 2015. I could not find a way to mention this in ERAS CAF. I tried to enter the future position in residency training section but it is giving me error message that i cannot enter the training from future start date.

It is important for me to mention this in CAF as it will certainly strengthen my application.

I will appreciate any advise/suggestion in this matter.

Thanks a lot.

Question about the MIDUS document upload system. I'm still waiting on my med school to upload my MSPE to the MIDUS system. In everyones experience, does it really take 5 business days for them to get processed through to ERAS?

Question about the MIDUS document upload system. I'm still waiting on my med school to upload my MSPE to the MIDUS system. In everyones experience, does it really take 5 business days for them to get processed through to ERAS?

No. n = 1, but for me it took 1 day.

Are Mayo Jacksonville and Mayo Arizona considered part of the NCI network or is it only Rochester? The former (or Miracle whip as Gutonc would put it) are only 3 years compared to the 4 of Rochester and obviously the location is better. I think I will still apply to all 3, but just curious.

Hello forum seniors, i am new to the forum and will be applying for Hem/Onc this year. I am in a unique situation and have a question about ERAS application.

I am couple of months off cycle and will be completing my residency in September 2014. I am going to do 4th year chief in another institute till June 2015. I could not find a way to mention this in ERAS CAF. I tried to enter the future position in residency training section but it is giving me error message that i cannot enter the training from future start date.

It is important for me to mention this in CAF as it will certainly strengthen my application.

I will appreciate any advise/suggestion in this matter.

Thanks a lot.
You should be able to click a box that says you're a chief. Am not sure about listing the institution though.

You should be able to click a box that says you're a chief. Am not sure about listing the institution though.
But i will not be able to tell if it is in the same program or different one and if this is a future position. Should i still click this, although i an yet not a chief resident?

In publication section, for submitted publications, do we need to write Name of the Journal for which the submission has been made in "Publication Name" section in CAF? Thanks

In publication section, for submitted publications, do we need to write Name of the Journal for which the submission has been made in "Publication Name" section in CAF? Thanks
But i will not be able to tell if it is in the same program or different one and if this is a future position. Should i still click this, although i an yet not a chief resident?

My opinion is that you should check that box,I'm not sure what others have to say. As for publications, if you check the option, it should automatically prompt you to enter the details of the publication. You ARE filling out the online form ain't you?

Thank you. Yes, filling out the online form. Just done want to make any mistake.

Are Mayo Jacksonville and Mayo Arizona considered part of the NCI network or is it only Rochester? The former (or Miracle whip as Gutonc would put it) are only 3 years compared to the 4 of Rochester and obviously the location is better. I think I will still apply to all 3, but just curious.

I have heard mixed opinions but neither of them is listed as an NCI designated center. Two of my mentors recommended only applying to the real Mayo and skipping the fake ones (not because of NCI designation which is not related to the quality of training)

now is the 4 year track an optional thing at Rochester or is it mandatory for all fellows?

Status
Not open for further replies.