Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied to 30 programs. I have 4 interviews and 5 rejections. I'm starting to feel very discouraged by the process - many of the places that have been sending rejections were places that I applied to and haven't heard from yet. Surely they know who they want and who they don't. Just send the darned rejections already!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No sooner than do I speak, rejection from ECU. Interestingly, of the six places I've been rejected from, four have been in North Carolina. Must be the Southern knack for politeness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, need some help in terms of number of interviews to attend. As an IMG - what number of interviews is a relatively safe number.
I have 15 scheduled... I feel that should be enough but whenever I cancel an interview.. Other people come to mind like someone with 10-12 interviews and didn't match..

Guys, need some help in terms of number of interviews to attend. As an IMG - what number of interviews is a relatively safe number.
I have 15 scheduled... I feel that should be enough but whenever I cancel an interview.. Other people come to mind like someone with 10-12 interviews and didn't match..
i wish i had that many :)

emailed tufts and this is the response " Thank you for your interest in our program. We are completing the final review of applications, which were very competitive this year. I regret that it is unlikely that we will be able to offer you an interview at this time. We will keep your application on file should this change in the near future."

Here is the deal. Statistics say going to 15 interviews is similar to going to 10 in terms of percentage matching once you reach that high of a number.
However, if it's me and I can afford to take all this time off to travel for interviews. I would go to all them. Chances is I wouldn't afford going for that much is high though.
My opinion and this is not backed with any evidence. A person who doesn't match with 10-12 interviews; is very likely NOT gonna match with 15 interviews. My opinion is based on that this guy/girl isn't matching because of a personality or attitude problem that wouldn't change with extra 3 more interviews.
That's my $0.02 to share with you. Good job on getting that much of interviews and best of luck in the match.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is the deal. Statistics say going to 15 interviews is similar to going to 10 in terms of percentage matching once you reach that high of a number.
However, if it's me and I can afford to take all this time off to travel for interviews. I would go to all them. Chances is I wouldn't afford going for that much is high though.
My opinion and this is not backed with any evidence. A person who doesn't match with 10-12 interviews; is very likely NOT gonna match with 15 interviews. My opinion is based on that this guy/girl isn't matching because of a personality or attitude problem that wouldn't change with extra 3 more interviews.
That's my $0.02 to share with you. Good job on getting that much of interviews and best of luck in the match.

Thanks a lot. That was helpful. I also feel the same way - if one can't score in 10-12 places, the chances of doing it in extra 3 are also very dim.
I actually have 18 so far but cancelled a few.. I guess that's because as an IMG i applied to 110+ places. I will try to attend as many as I can to be safe- before getting burnt out.

Considering the time, money and burnout factor, I agree with drno3man. I don't see how going on much than 10 could be feasible or beneficial.

Scripps Clinic today. Hoping everyone gets at least one more interview they're excited about!

I am feeling the rejection shower today. with ECU, mayo and indiana love letter :)

Considering the time, money and burnout factor, I agree with drno3man. I don't see how going on much than 10 could be feasible or beneficial.

I agree. Trying to schedule more than 10 interviews is a nightmare itself. not to mention the cost. unless you are living in a city with a major airport with cheap flights, it's just impractical, insanely expensive and not beneficial to do more than 10.

How many out of state interviews are u guys planning on? I am planning on 3 right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many out of state interviews are u guys planning on? I am planning on 3 right now.
I think I can get to most of my interviews by car or train. Probably 2-3 by flight. I do not have that many interviews anyway...That is still expensive...plus the application fee.

I don't know what's worse. Waiting or an interview already posted or a rejection that is already posted..

Out of my 8 that I already scheduled, 7 are out of my state and only 1 that I can easily drive to. That's what's driving me crazy about this thing ... I haven't heard back from most of the nearby programs and I can't figure out why

I applied to 30 programs. I have 4 interviews and 5 rejections. I'm starting to feel very discouraged by the process - many of the places that have been sending rejections were places that I applied to and haven't heard from yet. Surely they know who they want and who they don't. Just send the darned rejections already!!
I have an almost identical story

Georgetown university/Washington hospital center invite today

would it be safe to start finalizing travel plans by the end of the day tomorrow? or does anyone think/hope there will be one last wave of invites next week?

would it be safe to start finalizing travel plans by the end of the day tomorrow? or does anyone think/hope there will be one last wave of invites next week?

Im finalizing all of mine tomorrow. I'll work out the kinks later...

Out of my 8 that I already scheduled, 7 are out of my state and only 1 that I can easily drive to. That's what's driving me crazy about this thing ... I haven't heard back from most of the nearby programs and I can't figure out why

I'm only interviewing at 2 in state, the rest are all across the country where I'm hoping to head moving forward..that's why I think I may email programs. Is the coordinator the right person to email?

ECU and Indiana rejection :/
Really hoping for Ohio state second round, has anyone heard from them lately.

I'm only interviewing at 2 in state, the rest are all across the country where I'm hoping to head moving forward..that's why I think I may email programs. Is the coordinator the right person to email?

I'm only interviewing at 1 in state, 14 out of state, although I'm driving to 13 out of the other 14, so only 1 plane ticket required.

UTHSC San Antonio today

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed UCSF...got this response
" Thank you for your email. I have received your ERAS application and have sent it to reviewers. As soon as I hear back from them I will let you know."

I'm curious whether many programs have pre-interview dinners? I have only been told up front by two programs about formal dinners where we can meet applicants. This was one of the most insightful part of the residency interview process, I felt. I'm also wondering to help facility booking flights..

Had to turn down UTHSC San antonio. They had only one date and I have another IV on that day

Cleveland Clinic and NIH invites this week (repeats). I am going to cancel at least 4 interviews tonight, including Ohio State. Hope it comes to one of you who wants Ohio!

Reactions: 1 users
Alright, I bit the bullet and cancelled invitations/interviews to Minnesota, UTSW, UTHSC-SA, Wisky, Ohio St, Utah, U of Chicago, and Hopkins.

Reactions: 2 users
Now that people are starting to interview I think we should try to post some interview info. I am hoping one of the moderators is willing to post these as anonymous submissions if people would rather do it that way - stole this from the Pulm/CC forum:

Program Name:

Where did you stay, nearest hotel, travel etc:

Interview itinerary:

How many interviewers:

How many interviewees at the day/how many applicants interviewed total?:

Tour included visits to:

Questions asked:

Happy fellows?:

Schedule/procedures:

Fellows' career paths (academic/private/other):

Research opportunities?:

Visa sponsored?

City:

Things I liked about the program:

Things I disliked about the program:

Rate experience (0-10):

Conclusion:

Cleveland Clinic and NIH invites this week (repeats). I am going to cancel at least 4 interviews tonight, including Ohio State. Hope it comes to one of you who wants Ohio!

Did NIH email you or go through ERAS? They have been totally unresponsive for me.

This was officially my worst/slowest week so far this season

I haven't had in interview for 2 weeks almost,......this is more than over

I sent emails to two programs on my list of realistic programs that i would likely rank very high, but i haven't heard anything. I feel like that guy who is trying to get a girl out of his league..."so you're telling me there's a chance?"

Status
Not open for further replies.