Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OSU and Wash hosp center rejection

Members don't see this ad.

For you New York natives...

Do you think I can make a 630 PM flight at LGA if I leave Monter Cancer Center/NSLIJ at 330? Thanks!
Yes you can. I think you will be done with NSLIJ before 3pm, as was I. Good Luck

Anyone heard from WVU, Penn State, Sunny Downstate and MCG?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be annoying or anything but after receiving a gazillion rejections I have come to this stage :)

Really enjoyed the wording of scripps rejection for some reason.....

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone comment on the collective strengths and weakness when comparing Columbia, Cornell, and Mount Sinai? Thanks in advance!

Hello, did any one receive a confirmation e-mail from HFH-Detroit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just Updates with Medical College of Georgia, Henry Ford and Arkansas

Allegheny: 08/29
Advocate Lutheran General: 08/21
Albert Einstein-Montefiore: 08/08
Albert Einstein-Philadelphia: 08/19
Arizona: 08/21
Arkansas: 09/10
Baylor: 08/29
BIDMC: 07/18
Boston University: 08/07
Brown: 07/30
Case Western: 08/14
Chicago: 08/18
Cincinnati: 08/15
Cleveland Clinic: 08/29
Colorado: 08/12
Columbia: 08/21-22
Connecticut: 08/11
Cook County: 08/22
Cornell: 08/26
Dana Farber/Harvard: 08/06
Dartmouth: 08/18
Drexel: 08/18
Duke: 07/28
ECU: 07/25
Emory:08/14
ETSU: 08/19
Fox Chase: 07/29
Florida: 08/06
Georgetown: 07/30
Georgetown/Washington Hospital: 09/05
George Washington: 08/15
Gunderson: 08/21
Henry Ford: 09/10
Illinois-Chicago: 08/08
Indiana: 08/29
Iowa: 08/12
Jackson Memorial/Miami: 08/12
Jefferson: 08/13
Johns Hopkins: 08/11
Kansas: 09/02
Karmanos/Wayne State University 08/21
Kentucky: 08/08
Lankeanu Medical Center: 08/08
Lehigh Clinic: 08/22
Loma Linda: 7/31
Louisville: 08/01
Loyola: 08/22
LSU-NOLA: 08/07
LSU Shreveport: 08/18
Marshall: 08/21
Maryland: 08/29
Massachusetts: 08/22
Mayo Clinic: 08/15
Mayo (Jacksonville): 09/05
Methodist (Houston): 08/27
MD Anderson: 08/09, 22
Medical College of Georgia: 09/11
Medical College of Wisconsin: 08/21
Medstar/Washington Hospital: 08/06
Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSKCC): 08/18
Mississippi: 09/05
Moffit/USF: 07/18
Michigan: 07/18
Michigan State: 08/29
Minnesota: 08/29
Mt Sinai: 08/11
MUSC: 08/08
NIH: 08/08
Northwestern: 08/12
NSLIJ: 08/08
NYU: 07/28
OHSU: 08/11
Ohio State: 08/21
Oklahoma: 08/18
Orlando Health: 07/29
Ochsner: 08/18
Penn: 08/11
Pittsburgh: 08/13
Providence: 09/02
Rochester: 07/23
Roger Williams - Boston University: 08/21
Roswell Park: 08/08
Rutgers: 09/02
Scripps: 09/03
Scott and White: 08/07
St. Elizabeth: 08/14
St. Lukes Roosevelt: 08/25
Stanford: 08/25
StonyBrook: 8/29
Tennessee: 08/12
Texas Tech Lubbock: 7/29
Toledo: 08/26
Tulane: 08/26
Tufts: 08/18
UC Davis: 08/08
UC Irvine: 08/21
UCLA: 08/26
UCLA-Harbor: 07/29
UCLA-Olive View: 08/22
UCSD: 8/15
UCSF: 07/29
UNC: 07/30
Upstate: 9/5
USC: 07/31
Utah: 08/08
UT Southwestern: 08/11
Vanderbilt: 07/23
Vermont: 08/07
Virginia: 08/08
Virginia Commonwealth: 07/22
Wake Forest: 08/18
Washington/Fred Hutch: 08/08
Wash U: 08/08
Wisconsin: 08/04
Yale: 07/30

Last edited:
Medical college of Georgia today

Ucla rejection. I am interviewing at uc Davis tomorrow . My first interview. So nervous !

Ucla rejection. I am interviewing at uc Davis tomorrow . My first interview. So nervous !
Best of luck! Always remember confident, humble and personable! That's my $0.02. It's not the easiest thing to prove in the short time of interview but you can do it! ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck! Always remember confident, humble and personable! That's my $0.02. It's not the easiest thing to prove in the short time of interview but you can do it! ;-)
True, but it is very easy to disprove in that period of time. You'd be amazed how many people can't keep their sociopathy under wraps for 4 to 6 hours.

University of Florida- Jacksonville medical oncology today

Two interviews down...I forgot how painful this in-and-out traveling is.

I just realized one of my ERAS messages from last week went to my spam in gmail.... Not sure what email others are using, but it may be worth while checking...

Possibly a dumb question here, but does anyone know how final these denials from big programs are (Hopkins, Penn, Chicago etc)? I've been to a few interviews now and a number of people are cancelling interviews to these places, which seems unusual to me. Just wanted to see if anyone has heard of them sending out late interviews.

Possibly a dumb question here, but does anyone know how final these denials from big programs are (Hopkins, Penn, Chicago etc)? I've been to a few interviews now and a number of people are cancelling interviews to these places, which seems unusual to me. Just wanted to see if anyone has heard of them sending out late interviews.

When a program sends a denial I doubt they go back to dig for replacements when people cancel. Some people have reported being wait listed. And also there is a group of applicants who have neither interview or rejection. They probably have a chance of being called if cancellation

No means no.

You will rock it! Don't worry, they want you. This is a time to see if you like the program. Good luck!
Was ok . Not too good. It seemed like one interviewer had already made up his mind about me. Nothing i did could change that . 3 others went well .

Irvine next week will be hopefully better

When a program sends a denial I doubt they go back to dig for replacements when people cancel. Some people have reported being wait listed. And also there is a group of applicants who have neither interview or rejection. They probably have a chance of being called if cancellation
There are a number of programs I didn't hear from..if I hear now I don't plan on accepting an interview because the odds of matching would be too low IMO if I barely even made the interview pool.

Howard University sent out interviews on 9/10 for the following dates:
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Does anyone know much about this program??? The website is minimal at best...

There are a number of programs I didn't hear from..if I hear now I don't plan on accepting an interview because the odds of matching would be too low IMO if I barely even made the interview pool.

That's wrong and has been thoroughly discussed before. If they invite you, they are (at least on paper) considering you seriously. I would go to all the interviews and rank them based on how I like them regardless of my probability of matching, how much I think they liked me, whether I was invited first or last, how competitive is their applicant pool ...etc
We all have examples from the IM match where people matched at great places they got invited to the last minute or where they thought they completely screwed up the interview.

That's wrong and has been thoroughly discussed before. If they invite you, they are (at least on paper) considering you seriously. I would go to all the interviews and rank them based on how I like them regardless of my probability of matching, how much I think they liked me, whether I was invited first or last, how competitive is their applicant pool ...etc
We all have examples from the IM match where people matched at great places they got invited to the last minute or where they thought they completely screwed up the interview.
I see your point but because it's still a ranking process I think a last minute IV speaks for where you are pre-interview on their list...

I see your point but because it's still a ranking process I think a last minute IV speaks for where you are pre-interview on their list...
So what? You have no idea how things will shake out with other applicants or interviewees and you have no idea how much your interview could change a programs perception of you.

I've personally seen amazing applicants (on paper) get dropped off the rank list completely after the interview as well as pretty meh applicants moved into ranked to match territory because of the interview.

If you don't want to go to the interview because you're butt hurt about not getting a first round interview, that's your right. But it's a bad idea and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the match process on your part.

On a related note, on the rare but possible circumstance, what do you do:
-Program A: Offered you an interview in their first batch and you are scheduled for October 12 (only date available at this point). Program would likely be ranked 1-3.
-Program B: Offered you an interview late into the season, only date offered is October 12. This program would be a clear number 1 on your list.

Was ok . Not too good. It seemed like one interviewer had already made up his mind about me. Nothing i did could change that . 3 others went well .

Irvine next week will be hopefully better

He may have been the "bad cop." I wouldn't stress it. I am sure they liked you :)

On a related note, on the rare but possible circumstance, what do you do:
-Program A: Offered you an interview in their first batch and you are scheduled for October 12 (only date available at this point). Program would likely be ranked 1-3.
-Program B: Offered you an interview late into the season, only date offered is October 12. This program would be a clear number 1 on your list.

I would go to the program that (at least on paper and before interviewing) I think I would rank higher.

guys, this process is as stressful for most programs as it is for applicants. you send your application not knowing who will invite you, go to interviews not knowing who will rank you and you remain stressed out until the match day. putting the few top programs aside, they have to go through the same process. they send out invites not knowing who will accept them without cancelling later, they interview applicants not knowing who will rank them and they remain stressed out (kind of) until the match day. you're afraid of dropping too low on your rank list or not matching. they also don't like it when the drop too low on their rank list or have an unfilled position. everything is possible in the match algorithm. you never know how a program would do on the rank list.
so if a good program offers you an interview, just go. don't play mind games and probabilities and over think it. just go and leave the rest to the match algorithm. yes you might not be on the top of their rank list, but there's nothing to guarantee that those above you would want to stay in that program.

so for those who have been on interviews, would any of you be willing to fill out that form that was posted earlier regarding your opinions of the program, number of fellows, your overall impression of the program, etc?

I think it would also help those people who are getting last minute interview offers decide which ones to go on if they have schedule conflicts and can only choose 1 or 2 more to go on. Thanks in advance for any help. I will put up the info on the 5 places I interview at but my first one isn't until next week.

DVN, I agree with Lazarius. Go with the program you feel you would rank higher!

hoping for some miracle last minute interviews for every one :)

ERAS is down. Maybe some hidden interviews :)

"In order to thoroughly troubleshoot the issues MyERAS users are experiencing, we will be placing the software application in maintenance mode temporarily. This morning we communicated these issues to the program community and we will be updating them that these issues persist."

Last edited:
I would go to the program that (at least on paper and before interviewing) I think I would rank higher.

guys, this process is as stressful for most programs as it is for applicants. you send your application not knowing who will invite you, go to interviews not knowing who will rank you and you remain stressed out until the match day. putting the few top programs aside, they have to go through the same process. they send out invites not knowing who will accept them without cancelling later, they interview applicants not knowing who will rank them and they remain stressed out (kind of) until the match day. you're afraid of dropping too low on your rank list or not matching. they also don't like it when the drop too low on their rank list or have an unfilled position. everything is possible in the match algorithm. you never know how a program would do on the rank list.
so if a good program offers you an interview, just go. don't play mind games and probabilities and over think it. just go and leave the rest to the match algorithm. yes you might not be on the top of their rank list, but there's nothing to guarantee that those above you would want to stay in that program.

You guys are right. Sometimes the obvious answer isn't so obvious to the applicant in this crazy process ;)

Please, comment on overall strength on Roswell(univ at buffalo) , Univ. of maryland , Univ. of washington

Thank you and good luck to everyone for interviews

Please, comment on overall strength on Roswell(univ at buffalo) , Univ. of maryland , Univ. of washington

Thank you and good luck to everyone for interviews
UWash by a country mile. Maryland is a fine place but kind of suffers by being in the shadow of some big fancy hospital I can never remember the name of. RPCI is a better research place than clinical. But it's not bad on the clinical side and it's the only NCCN institution in the area, so it's got that going for it.

Lost on IV last week because the co-ordinator never received my ERAS reply and send IV to their waiting list person the very next way...... WTF !!!!
Have requested the PD via email but not very hopeful about it ....

(Just needed to vent :mad:)

Has anyone received IV conformation from Henry ford? Should I contact the coordinator or wait for couple of more days. It's been a week when I replied to their invite . Thanks

Same with me last tuesday got IV still waiting for reply.. Very unprofessional on their part

Status
Not open for further replies.