Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate this scheduling that lacks any flexibility. I can't decide if I should ditch CCF to go to Mayo or the other way around. I failed at re-scheduling either of them. what would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks gutonc!
USC vs UC Irvine?
Depends on your interests. From a clinical perspective I don't think there's a whole lot to separate them. But UTHSCSA has one of the best Phase I clinical trial programs in the country so if that's an interest of yours you'd be well served to check it out.
nks

I hate this scheduling that lacks any flexibility. I can't decide if I should ditch CCF to go to Mayo or the other way around. I failed at re-scheduling either of them. what would you guys do?
This isn't a real question, is it? Ditch Mayo for CCF?

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't a real question, is it? Ditch Mayo for CCF?

now I know all the rumors about CCF IM program but I thought their fellowships were a different story. I might be wrong though I don't know. I will keep Mayo then if this wasn't even a fair comparison.

May be some last minute surprise interviews this week for everyone :)

Reactions: 1 user
Can some one give their opinion on Tulane, Medical college of Georgia, UAMS, New York College of Medicine, and Henry Ford Hospital if someone is interested in Malignant hem, transplant and clincal research? I appreciate it.

Can some one give their opinion on Tulane, Medical college of Georgia, UAMS, New York College of Medicine, and Henry Ford Hospital if someone is interested in Malignant hem, transplant and clincal research? I appreciate it.

Not sure about other programs , but UAMS is big on myeloma and transplant.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about other programs , but UAMS is big on myeloma and transplant.....

They have these weird myeloma regimens combined with transplants which they call "total therapy" and it's like the most aggressive thing I've heard of

UAMS is the only one of those places with any real outside reputation. Even pre-Katrina, Tulane wasn't really known for Hem/Onc.

And yes, if you want to see every active myeloma drug given at once, plus transplant and maintenance therapy, UAMS is the place to be. It's a "unique" approach to say the least. And it's sort of like Scientology...believers will defend it to the death, non-believers think it's kind of crazy-flakes.

And yes, if you want to see every active myeloma drug given at once, plus transplant and maintenance therapy, UAMS is the place to be. It's a "unique" approach to say the least. And it's sort of like Scientology...believers will defend it to the death, non-believers think it's kind of crazy-flakes.

one of their people came and gave grand round a few months ago and I happened to be there... it was the only grand round that went ~25 minutes beyond time and it had to be finished like this:

Police-officers-wield-bat-008.jpg

Hi, I am new to the forum. I would like your opinion regarding these programs:
1) USC
2) univ of Tennessee
3) MCW
4) univ of Oklahoma
5) UF shands
6) univ of Minnesota
7) univ of Washington
8) methodist houston
9) univ of Arizona
I am interested in malignant heme and want to purse an academic career and do clinical and translational research. Which of these programs can help get me to my goal? Thank you all very much in advance!!

1) USC
2) univ of Tennessee
3) MCW
4) univ of Oklahoma
5) UF shands
6) univ of Minnesota
7) univ of Washington
8) methodist houston
9) univ of Arizona
I am interested in malignant heme and want to purse an academic career and do clinical and translational research. Which of these programs can help get me to my goal? Thank you all very much in advance!!
Why don't you tell us what you think each of those places can do to help you reach your goals and we go from there?

Thank you Lazarious and gutonc! But the myeloma institute at UAMS is a separate institution and fellows do not rotate there. Does that make any difference?

A few questions...

1. Mcw mentioned that they might receive an NCI designation, anyone else know more about this? I really liked mcws program even though they are much stronger in liquids.

2. Is only one fellow at an interview lunch a bad sign?

3. Have any of you had interviewers play a "bad cop" role? I had an interviewer comment kind of snidely about an abstract only being accepted as an ePub.

4. I know that this has been discussed before, but a lot of pds really emphasize NCI comprehensive status vs NCI designated. Any weight to this?

5. Can you help me sort out the following program in regards to: overall reputation, focus in lung, head and neck, clinical trials? May have to bump a few do to scheduling.

1. Upmc
  2. Utsw
  3. Unc
  4. USC
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Uc irvine
  7. Iowa
  8. Dartmouth
  9. Nebraska
  10. Maryland
  11. Brown
  12. Loyola
  13. Mcw
  14. Nslij

1) USC
2) univ of Tennessee
3) MCW
4) univ of Oklahoma
5) UF shands
6) univ of Minnesota
7) univ of Washington
8) methodist houston
9) univ of Arizona
  1. Washington
  2. Minnesota
  3. USC
  4. Arizona
  5. Mcw

Thank you Lazarious and gutonc! But the myeloma institute at UAMS is a separate institution and fellows do not rotate there. Does that make any difference?
Interesting. It's basically the only thing they have going for them (crazy-sauce or no) on the national stage. In that case, based on location alone (the only thing you can really use to differentiate those places), you have one awesome city (NOLA) and a bunch of total sh** holes. Rank accordingly.

A few questions...

1. Mcw mentioned that they might receive an NCI designation, anyone else know more about this? I really liked mcws program even though they are much stronger in liquids.
No idea.
2. Is only one fellow at an interview lunch a bad sign?
Depends, how many fellows are there and how good is the cafeteria?

3. Have any of you had interviewers play a "bad cop" role? I had an interviewer comment kind of snidely about an abstract only being accepted as an ePub.
There are douchebags everywhere in every specialty. Move on.

4. I know that this has been discussed before, but a lot of pds really emphasize NCI comprehensive status vs NCI designated. Any weight to this?
From the perspective of a trainee there is absolutely no relevance to this.

[/quote]5. Can you help me sort out the following program in regards to: overall reputation, focus in lung, head and neck, clinical trials? May have to bump a few do to scheduling.

1. Upmc
  2. Utsw
  3. Unc
  4. USC
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Uc irvine
  7. Iowa
  8. Dartmouth
  9. Nebraska
  10. Maryland
  11. Brown
  12. Loyola
  13. Mcw
  14. Nslij
[/QUOTE]
4-7 should be:
Wisco/Iowa/Flip a coin between USC and UCI. Otherwise looks good. And if Lung/HN is your focus, move UNC up to 1 or 2.

rejections- louisville, south carolina, gunderson lutheran, arkansas.

I am thinking of cancelling a few interviews due to pregnancy and was hoping to get some opinions. Just trying to limit travel from east coast. Turns out to be a lot more challenging than anticipated...

Far away IVs:
USC
UTSW
UTHSCSA

I was going to go to UTSW and maybe not the other two. If I can somehow manage to group texas IVs together that would make things a little easier.
I am a bit undecided on what I want to do but do want an eventual academic career (clinician educator or 50/50 clinical research/clinical time), likely in solids.

I would appreciate any input on Indiana vs Iowa and UPMC vs Iowa. Interested in malignant heme.

No idea.

Depends, how many fellows are there and how good is the cafeteria?

There are douchebags everywhere in every specialty. Move on.

From the perspective of a trainee there is absolutely no relevance to this.

5. Can you help me sort out the following program in regards to: overall reputation, focus in lung, head and neck, clinical trials? May have to bump a few do to scheduling.

1. Upmc
  2. Utsw
  3. Unc
  4. USC
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Uc irvine
  7. Iowa
  8. Dartmouth
  9. Nebraska
  10. Maryland
  11. Brown
  12. Loyola
  13. Mcw
  14. Nslij

4-7 should be:
Wisco/Iowa/Flip a coin between USC and UCI. Otherwise looks good. And if Lung/HN is your focus, move UNC up to 1 or 2.

Thanks. 4-7 was where I was really having a hard time. In the end I'd be happy at any of the listed programs, it's hard to not over think this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am not a frequent poster, but have been following this year's forum. I was wondering what people think of Mayo as a training program. I am interested in translational and possibly clinical research in cancer immunology and am looking for a program with a strong and broad training in both heme and onc (though I am more interested in onc). What are the chances of being an attractive candidate for an academic career after training in Mayo as a fellow, compared to training at for example, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell or BIDMC since Mayo seems to be more of a place for clinically-oriented individuals than lab-research-based individuals. Thanks in advance for your input!

Also, what do people think of Georgetown given my above interests? Is it more for clinically-oriented folks too?

Thanks. 4-7 was where I was really having a hard time. In the end I'd be happy at any of the listed programs, it's hard to not over think this.

Have you been to UCI? If so then it is fine where it is. If you haven't, brace yourself. I think it belongs near the bottom of the list unless location is critical.

How would guys rank this list. I am interested in career in academics. Want good training in both solids and liquids.
UC Davis
UC irvine
USC
OHSU
U cincinatti
UTHSC San Antonio
Albert Einstein - Philly. New program

Got 4 rejections in two days!!! Uams, Musc, nebraska, and uab. Should we expect more interviews or is it over?

Just got William Beaumont. Is it a good program? Is it worth the trip?

I think UTSW is the best of the three. I would definitely go there.
I am thinking of cancelling a few interviews due to pregnancy and was hoping to get some opinions. Just trying to limit travel from east coast. Turns out to be a lot more challenging than anticipated...

Far away IVs:
USC
UTSW
UTHSCSA

I was going to go to UTSW and maybe not the other two. If I can somehow manage to group texas IVs together that would make things a little easier.
I am a bit undecided on what I want to do but do want an eventual academic career (clinician educator or 50/50 clinical research/clinical time), likely in solids.

How would guys rank this list. I am interested in career in academics. Want good training in both solids and liquids.
UC Davis
UC irvine
USC
OHSU
U cincinatti
UTHSC San Antonio
Albert Einstein - Philly. New program

I think OHSU is the strongest on this list with a decent margin

Hi, I am not a frequent poster, but have been following this year's forum. I was wondering what people think of Mayo as a training program. I am interested in translational and possibly clinical research in cancer immunology and am looking for a program with a strong and broad training in both heme and onc (though I am more interested in onc). What are the chances of being an attractive candidate for an academic career after training in Mayo as a fellow, compared to training at for example, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell or BIDMC since Mayo seems to be more of a place for clinically-oriented individuals than lab-research-based individuals. Thanks in advance for your input!

Also, what do people think of Georgetown given my above interests? Is it more for clinically-oriented folks too?

I'm confused ... are looking to do basic research or clinical research?

Mayo is not known for being a basic science powerhouse.... If basic science was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and I had the option to go to Mayo vs hopkins, I'd pick hopkins... I don't know much about cornell or columbia though

Thanks DrVanNostran!!! What about Methodist? Do you know anything about the program?

Only that it is a new program that rotates through MDACC as well. The only reason I cancelled it was due to scheduling. I bet it turns into one of the more competitive community programs after a few years.

I'm confused ... are looking to do basic research or clinical research?

Mayo is not known for being a basic science powerhouse.... If basic science was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and I had the option to go to Mayo vs hopkins, I'd pick hopkins... I don't know much about cornell or columbia though

Thanks Larazius. I am interested in translational research (so I guess it is closer to basic science than clinical). I guess I just wanted to know about the academic reputation of Mayo since I would like an academic career and I haven't met many people who trained at Mayo in the academic institutions I trained at thus far (which is on the east coast). Maybe this is explained by people who trained at Mayo stay at Mayo, and in the Mid-West.

Just got William Beaumont. Is it a good program? Is it worth the trip?
I got it too. I knew nothing about this program. Looking at the website, it looks like a fairly new program with small faculty panel and no BMT in house. But seems like the hospital is big with reasonable patient volume. I do not know if the proximity to Wayne State will affect the patient population or not.

I got it too. I knew nothing about this program. Looking at the website, it looks like a fairly new program with small faculty panel and no BMT in house. But seems like the hospital is big with reasonable patient volume. I do not know if the proximity to Wayne State will affect the patient population or not.

As a whole, Beumont attracts more of a posh patient population and the hospital is a nice community practice with academic institutions having students rotate there.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello , any idea on university of mass for malignant heme ? Thinking about cancelling but on a fence. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Just a long overdue update of the list.

Last year a few Late late september and early october IVs went out. Who knows, maybe it will be a festivus miracle.

FYI, Indiana rejection.

Allegheny: 08/29
Advocate Lutheran General: 08/21
Albert Einstein-Montefiore: 08/08
Albert Einstein-Philadelphia: 08/19
Arizona: 08/21
Arkansas: 09/10
Baylor: 08/29
Beumont: 09/23
BIDMC: 07/18
Boston University: 08/07
Brown: 07/30
Case Western: 08/14
Chicago: 08/18
Cincinnati: 08/15
Cleveland Clinic: 08/29
Colorado: 08/12
Columbia: 08/21-22
Connecticut: 08/11
Cook County: 08/22
Cornell: 08/26
Dana Farber/Harvard: 08/06
Dartmouth: 08/18
Drexel: 08/18
Duke: 07/28
ECU: 07/25
Emory:08/14
ETSU: 08/19
Fox Chase: 07/29
Florida: 08/06
Florida-Jax: 09/10
Georgetown: 07/30
Georgetown/Washington Hospital: 09/05
George Washington: 08/15
Gunderson: 08/21
Henry Ford: 09/10
Howard: 09/10
Illinois-Chicago: 08/08
Indiana: 08/29
Iowa: 08/12
Jackson Memorial/Miami: 08/12
Jefferson: 08/13
Johns Hopkins: 08/11
Kansas: 09/02
Karmanos/Wayne State University 08/21
Kentucky: 08/08
Lankeanu Medical Center: 08/08
Lehigh Clinic: 08/22
Loma Linda: 7/31
Louisville: 08/01
Loyola: 08/22
LSU-NOLA: 08/07
LSU Shreveport: 08/18
Marshall: 08/21
Maryland: 08/29
Massachusetts: 08/22
Mayo Clinic: 08/15
Mayo (Jacksonville): 09/05
Mayo (Arizona): 09/18
Methodist (Houston): 08/27
MD Anderson: 08/09, 22
Medical College of Georgia: 09/11
Medical College of Wisconsin: 08/21
Medstar/Washington Hospital: 08/06
Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSKCC): 08/18
Mississippi: 09/05
Moffit/USF: 07/18
Michigan: 07/18
Michigan State: 08/29
Minnesota: 08/29
Mt Sinai: 08/11
MUSC: 08/08
Nebraska: 09/18
NIH: 08/08
Northwestern: 08/12
NSLIJ: 08/08
NYU: 07/28
NYMC-Westchester: 09/16
OHSU: 08/11
Ohio State: 08/21
Oklahoma: 08/18
Orlando Health: 07/29
Ochsner: 08/18
Penn: 08/11
Pittsburgh: 08/13
Providence: 09/02
Rochester: 07/23
Roger Williams - Boston University: 08/21
Roswell Park: 08/08
Rutgers: 09/02
Scripps: 09/03
Scott and White: 08/07
St. Elizabeth: 08/14
St. Lukes Roosevelt: 08/25
Stanford: 08/25
StonyBrook: 8/29
Tennessee: 08/12
Texas Tech Lubbock: 7/29
Toledo: 08/26
Tulane: 08/26
Tufts: 08/18
UC Davis: 08/08
UC Irvine: 08/21
UCLA: 08/26
UCLA-Harbor: 07/29
UCLA-Olive View: 08/22
UCSD: 8/15
UCSF: 07/29
UNC: 07/30
Upstate: 9/5
USC: 07/31
Utah: 08/08
UT Southwestern: 08/11
Vanderbilt: 07/23
Vermont: 08/07
Virginia: 08/08
Virginia Commonwealth: 07/22
Wake Forest: 08/18
Washington/Fred Hutch: 08/08
Wash U: 08/08
Wisconsin: 08/04
Yale: 07/30

Just got an invite from GWU. Was wondering what you guys thought about the program?

Anybody got an email from Baylor for being on the waiting list?

What do you guys think about allegheny general hospital? It looks good on the website but my only fear that it's a community program and I really want an academic career. Will it help me if that's my goal? Thank you in advance!!!

Only that it is a new program that rotates through MDACC as well. The only reason I cancelled it was due to scheduling. I bet it turns into one of the more competitive community programs after a few years.
I love methodist and rotated their before so I know it a great hospital but my only issue with the program that it is brand new. I don't want to be the guinea pig. Although I love the hospital and Houston and would love to go back I am afraid of ranking it above the rest that I have, like above Minnesota that have had a fellowship program for the past 30 years. Do you have any advice regarding how to rank it? Your input is much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.