Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about allegheny general hospital? It looks good on the website but my only fear that it's a community program and I really want an academic career. Will it help me if that's my goal? Thank you in advance!!!
It's a local program for me....kind of dead end if you are looking for academic career. Pretty good for those who are interested in private practice.Most fellows I know ends up in private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you tell us what you think each of those places can do to help you reach your goals and we go from there?
Hi Gutonc, I only went to 3 interviews so far and this is want I think:

1) USC: great program, strong in both solids and liquids, good internal funding and research opportunities. It is also one of the NCI designated comprehensive cancer centers. Do a lot of translational research in molecular biology which is my area of interest. Strong in benign heme too.

2) UTHSC: good overall. Clinically oriented. Didn't like the training hospitals that much. The main highlight of the program is the phase one program and drug discovery lab. I loved the kind of research that they conduct there and the fact that all fellows rotate there and do research with them. The director of the program and a very well known figure and well published.

3) MCW: great program. Although clinically oriented, last 18 months of fellowship are open for research which is good. They have the CTSI and pay fellows to do masters there if they want to and some fellows are doing there masters now in their second year. A lot of clinical trials, 132 active ones now. I felt that they are stronger in heme although they say there have equal exposure, but I felt otherwise. Nice hospital and campus. Attendings have their labs and take interested fellows with them.

I still didn't go to the rest so only know about them what is present on their website.

I cancelled interviews at GWU, Georgetown, and duke in the past few days so I hope they goto someone who wants them!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a local program for me....kind of dead end if you are looking for academic career. Pretty good for those who are interested in private practice.Most fellows I know ends up in private practice.
Thank you so much!! I felt that way too and wanted to check before I cancel the interview.

I love methodist and rotated their before so I know it a great hospital but my only issue with the program that it is brand new. I don't want to be the guinea pig. Although I love the hospital and Houston and would love to go back I am afraid of ranking it above the rest that I have, like above Minnesota that have had a fellowship program for the past 30 years. Do you have any advice regarding how to rank it? Your input is much appreciated!!

Definitely rank Minnesota and any other NCI centers you have above them IMO, especially if you are interested in academia.

Anyone visited Universiy of Mass. ? Any thoughts on that for malignant heme ? Thinking about cancelling but on a fence.

Needing to drop a few interviews due to scheduling conflicts.

Was wondering if anyone could help sorting the following programs in regards to: overall reputation, strength in genitourinary, ability to go into either academics or community practice (right now I’m 75-25 clinical investigator vs. community practice, so I don’t want to go somewhere that would limit my academic options, but also don’t want to go somewhere that will shun me if I decide to go into community practice and has limited clinics available [for adding on PGY5/6 year] for broad training required for community practice).

1. Northwestern
2. WashU
3. Vanderbilt
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Pittsburgh
7. UoChicago
8. Wisconsin
9. Indiana
10. MCW
11. Loyola
12. Beaumont

Thanks!

Definitely drop 2 or 3 of the ones at the end. As to which place will prepare you for community practice, you can get that from virtually any program. The only places you have in that list where I have personal information/experience are NW, where at least half of the fellows go PP and the program is honest about that, UofC, where the numbers are roughly the same but they would never admit that, and Wisco which is kind of in the middle.

Anyone else's MyEras message center down? This probably has to be the worst ERAS IT season in its history....

I called ERAS, representative asked to send an email to ERAS and they will reply with the messages, but I did not get any!

Just got an invite from GWU. Was wondering what you guys thought about the program?
Small program, most people go into private practice, good for general experience, bad for sub-sub specialization or research compared to other academic programs. Great location!

Members don't see this ad :)
How would to judge following programs for malignant heme..
Univ. of Mass
MCW -
Univ. of Cincinnati
University of Florida
Baylor - Texas
UT southwestern
Rochester
Univ. of Maryland

Need to cancel 1 or 2.

Thank you,

Univ. of Mass
MCW -
Univ. of Cincinnati
University of Florida
Baylor - Texas
UT southwestern
Rochester
Univ. of Maryland

Need to cancel 1 or 2.

Thank you,

The only one I can tell you about is Cincinnati. It's not a place to go if malignant heme is your thing.

hi Guys,

how long does heme-onc interviews come. September is coming to end. Can we expect interviews until oct/nov?

Univ. of Mass
MCW -
Univ. of Cincinnati
University of Florida
Baylor - Texas
UT southwestern
Rochester
Univ. of Maryland

Need to cancel 1 or 2.

Thank you,

UMass has a decent heme dept. Baylor is very clinical, but I'm not sure of the solid/liquid balance but their research seems to be more solid focused. As for UF, I don't know much about their program but Gainesville is an awful place.

hi Guys,

how long does heme-onc interviews come. September is coming to end. Can we expect interviews until oct/nov?

I had a few friends in the years before me who say they've received interviews up until mid october.

Anyone have some opinions on Duke? I've heard drastically different thoughts. Seems like they interview a ton of people for 6 spots. Interested in a physician scientist track.

UMass has a decent heme dept. Baylor is very clinical, but I'm not sure of the solid/liquid balance but their research seems to be more solid focused. As for UF, I don't know much about their program but Gainesville is an awful place.
Thank you very muc !! Anyone else has opinion on other programs ???

I was offered a second look by a program recently. Is this a good sign? If I do go back, what to expect and how is this helpful? Never encountered this before :help:

Any thoughts on University of Kentucky for malignant hem?

Any thoughts on Howard University? The website is totally worthless for any info...

Hey Guys,
Which of these programs do you think are strong for solid malignancy training / research esp GI - Roswell, Minnesota, Uni of Wisconsin, Indiana, MUSC or Virginal Commonwealth ?
I find it difficult to figure it out during interviews - all have good clinical exposure and they are all NCI centers. Any input in terms of reputation of these institutes from the forum pros here please :)

anyone interview at Thomas Jefferson already? If so what time and where do we show up in the morning? The coordinator forgot to send me my interview day schedule.

Hey Guys,
Which of these programs do you think are strong for solid malignancy training / research esp GI - Roswell, Minnesota, Uni of Wisconsin, Indiana, MUSC or Virginal Commonwealth ?
I find it difficult to figure it out during interviews - all have good clinical exposure and they are all NCI centers. Any input in terms of reputation of these institutes from the forum pros here please :)

I am not a forum pro but this is what I know.

Minnesota - Much stronger in liquids and BMT
Indiana - Strong in GU and lymphoma
Virginia Commonwealth - Good liquids

I don't know much about the others but Roswell has an ovarian SPORE so I imagine they are good in gyn...

Can anyone shed some light on the NYC programs aside from MSKCC? Particularly Cornell, Columbia, and Mount Sinai...

For those who have an interview at Univ of Florida, did they send a list of recommended hotels? I forgot to ask and I don't remember getting anything about that...thanks!

I am not a forum pro but this is what I know.

Minnesota - Much stronger in liquids and BMT
Indiana - Strong in GU and lymphoma
Virginia Commonwealth - Good liquids

I don't know much about the others but Roswell has an ovarian SPORE so I imagine they are good in gyn...

Thanks. I appreciate your input.

Hey Guys,
As pointed out above, in that list, you can't beat UMinn for liquids and transplant. They kind of invented BMT.

Wisconsin is probably the strongest all around in that list with better solid tumor exposure than all but RPCI.

Indiana is the spiritual home of fake solid tumors (lymphoma and nad cancer).

Can anyone shed some light on the NYC programs aside from MSKCC? Particularly Cornell, Columbia, and Mount Sinai...
MSSM is strong in GI and lung. Cornell has good liquids. Both will give you more autonomy and variety than you will get at MSKCC.

I honestly don't know much about Columbia...I was so turned off by my med school interview there that I never bothered applying for residency or fellowship.

Folks, what do you think about this ranking. Reasonable?

1. UW
2. UCLA
3. WashU
4. Mayo
5. UMich
6. Vanderbilt
7. UNC
8. OSU

Thanks for the input

1. UW
2. UCLA
3. WashU
4. Mayo
5. UMich
6. Vanderbilt
7. UNC
8. OSU

Thanks for the input

IMHO UNC is way too low there, but I guess that depends on your geographical restrictions and what you are interested in. If it were me I would at least have it above Vandy and Mich, maybe even Mayo/WashU. Agree with the top two for sure.

Is there any value to sending a program director an email saying you will rank them #1?

Is there any value to sending a program director an email saying you will rank them #1?
Can we please not have this discussion again?

Most PDs will have a nice chuckle before deleting your email. Others will find it a transparent ploy on your part, assume you're telling the other 8 programs on your list the same thing and adjust your list accordingly. A small few who need to have their egos stroked will find it beneficial.

Which of those 3 will you be sending your email to?

1. UW
2. UCLA
3. WashU
4. Mayo
5. UMich
6. Vanderbilt
7. UNC
8. OSU

Thanks for the input
I disagree with the statement about UNC (not that it's bad...it's a very good program, just that I think Vandy and UMich legitimately belong above it), but UCLA is way too high unless your sole reason for ranking it there is to be in CA in which case, whatever. Otherwise it looks fine.

Interesting gutonc. I was under the impression UNC was pretty highly regarded. I was also told by my PD to send those emails if you think highly of a program. Appreciate the perspective.

As pointed out above, in that list, you can't beat UMinn for liquids and transplant. They kind of invented BMT.

Wisconsin is probably the strongest all around in that list with better solid tumor exposure than all but RPCI.

Indiana is the spiritual home of fake solid tumors (lymphoma and nad cancer).

Thank gutonc,
When considering ranking - If one institute is NCCN cancer center as compared to just NCI-designated, does that make much of a difference for training or future career ?

Done with interviews for the most part ... It was a very good experience overall and I met great people (both applicants and current fellows). I am interested in solid malignancies (mostly thoracic and H&N) and hoping to start an academic career from the right place. Although I have reasonable bench research experience, I don't plan on going back to the lab and I'm leaning towards more clinical research and I expressed that clearly in my interviews. This seems to be my list for now:

1-MDACC
2-Mayo
3-WashU
4-Vandy
5-Indy
6-MCW
7-Case
8-Montefiore
9-Miami

only unsure about #3 and #4 ... I don't know if I should be worried that WashU seemed very malignant heme focused.. most of their fellows seems to be doing malignant heme research stuff... I asked that during the interview and of course they dodged it. The reason I put it as #3 is because it appeared to be more stable than Vandy which looked like it was undergoing some changes with some people in solids leaving or trying to leave from what I was told by an insider from the program. montefiore is low because I hate NYC (yes, way more than houston and rochester).

anything crazy on this list? appreciate any input from the seniors....

Interesting gutonc. I was under the impression UNC was pretty highly regarded. I was also told by my PD to send those emails if you think highly of a program. Appreciate the perspective.
You'll notice that I didn't say anything bad about UNC. Just that, at least on sheer program strength, with the exception of UCLA, the programs are in a reasonable order. Don't put words in my mouth.

Thank gutonc,
When considering ranking - If one institute is NCCN cancer center as compared to just NCI-designated, does that make much of a difference for training or future career ?
This is beyond meaningless for a trainee. Most of the difference between being an NCI designated CCC and an NCCN institution are administrative hoops and other non - clinical stuff (like how many social workers you have per 1000 patients which is one of the criteria). Not that social workers aren't important, just that their influence on your career prospects are minimal.

Reactions: 1 users
Can we please not have this discussion again?

Most PDs will have a nice chuckle before deleting your email. Others will find it a transparent ploy on your part, assume you're telling the other 8 programs on your list the same thing and adjust your list accordingly. A small few who need to have their egos stroked will find it beneficial.

Which of those 3 will you be sending your email to?

Sorry to be ignorant about this issue, but Can we send email to the program at the end of the season that we are considering ranking them high at least? or not even that? I know I did that for residency match. Not so sure about fellowship. I am sure it can't hurt.

Sorry to be ignorant about this issue, but Can we send email to the program at the end of the season that we are considering ranking them high at least? or not even that? I know I did that for residency match. Not so sure about fellowship. I am sure it can't hurt.
Your reading comprehension could use some work.

You'll notice that I didn't say anything bad about UNC. Just that, at least on sheer program strength, with the exception of UCLA, the programs are in a reasonable order. Don't put words in my mouth.

I have a good friend at ucla who hasn't been the most pleased with his training FWIW..your #3-5 seem much stronger!

How about this order. More reasonable?

1. UW
2. WashU
3. Mayo
4. Vanderbilt
5. UMich
6. UCLA
7. UNC
8. OSU

Any insight on Mayo vs. WashU? UMich vs. Vanderbilt? Thank you for your feedback.

Anyone have some opinions on Duke? I've heard drastically different thoughts. Seems like they interview a ton of people for 6 spots. Interested in a physician scientist track.

still wondering about Duke. Can't really get a feel for it and I've heard their other fellowships are pretty malignant.

Any insight on Mayo vs. WashU? UMich vs. Vanderbilt? Thank you for your feedback.

Mayo Vs WashU comes down to Rochester vs STL. I would go with WashU personally. the winter is tolerable and it's still a big city (there are a bunch of good areas.. it's not just Ferguson). Both are great programs though. same for Umich and Vanderbilt. it's splitting hair between those four IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.