Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hematology and Oncology are separate divisions there so the scheduling is kind of weird which is what is making me really confused. From what they described, it seems like you are in EITHER hematology or oncology CC which seems a bit disjointed to me.[/QUOTE

That was my impression too. I felt that both divisions were separate entities. I am not sure if that will affect our training. If can any senior comment on whether that is enough to not consider the program?

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is like that too. Total deal breaker.
I had the same impression too and was wondering if that will affect our training and would be enough to exclude the whole program? Please advise

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I'm new to the forum. Looking for advice on how to rank the following. I have not decided on heme vs. onc yet. Likely want to pursue academic career in the future. Thanks in advance!

MCW
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
Mt Sinai St. Luke's Rosevelt
Albert Einstein Montefiore
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
Brown University
Loma Linda

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. Looking for advice on how to rank the following. I have not decided on heme vs. onc yet. Likely want to pursue academic career in the future. Thanks in advance!

MCW
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
Mt Sinai St. Luke's Rosevelt
Albert Einstein Montefiore
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
Brown University
Loma Linda
MCW/Einstein
Brown/LLU
Whatever after that...you could do worse than choosing based on location.

MCW/Einstein
Brown/LLU
Whatever after that...you could do worse than choosing based on location.

Gutonc- could you clarify what you mean: "you could do worse than choosing based on location." Thanks!

Gutonc- could you clarify what you mean: "you could do worse than choosing based on location." Thanks!
Is it really unclear?

I mean that the only thing those places really have to differentiate them is location. They're all community programs that will get you a job afterwards.

it means to rank them based on how you liked them and where you prefer to spend the next 3 years because there are no major differences in that list

Is it really unclear?

I mean that the only thing those places really have to differentiate them is location. They're all community programs that will get you a job afterwards.

Thanks!

Hello I am looking for advise how to rank these programs. Interested in solid tumors but want good training in both, career in academic medicine
OHSU
USC
UC davis
UC irvine
UCLA olive view
UT san antonio
Albert einstein phily ( new community program)
U cincinnati vs loma linda ( can only make to one interview)

Thanks !

Hey guys, Any advice on my final rank list please. I have following in mind with plan to do solids - hopefully academic career.

1) U Wisconsin
2) Minnesota Uni
3) Indiana U
4) MUSC
5) VCU
6) Brown
7) RPCI
8) Oklahoma
9) Cincinnati
10) UConn vs U Vermont

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,
I have been part of this forum since July and thanks to all for your inputs and sharing yourexperiences especially to gutonc for your advice. i am done with wall my interviews, i want to purse academic career, but have not decided on hem or onc. i am interested in breast malignancy, though that could change through my fellowship. Below is my rank order, please give me yours inputs (not limited by location). Thanks

1. Ohio state university
2. Medical college of wisconsin
3. Roswell park caner institute.
4. University of Minnesota
5. university of alabama
6. Thomas Jefferson
7. Henry Ford

Hey guys, Any advice on my final rank list please. I have following in mind with plan to do solids - hopefully academic career.

1) U Wisconsin
2) Minnesota Uni
3) Indiana U
4) MUSC
5) VCU
6) Brown
7) RPCI
8) Oklahoma
9) Cincinnati
10) UConn vs U Vermont

Thanks
Looks fine to me.

Hello All,
I have been part of this forum since July and thanks to all for your inputs and sharing yourexperiences especially to gutonc for your advice. i am done with wall my interviews, i want to purse academic career, but have not decided on hem or onc. i am interested in breast malignancy, though that could change through my fellowship. Below is my rank order, please give me yours inputs (not limited by location). Thanks

1. Ohio state university
2. Medical college of wisconsin
3. Roswell park caner institute.
4. University of Minnesota
5. university of alabama
6. Thomas Jefferson
7. Henry Ford
I would personally swap UMinn and MCW on that list and maybe swap RPCI and UAB. But the differences are not so great in my mind that you need to really shake it up if you like the way your list is now.

I would personally swap UMinn and MCW on that list and maybe swap RPCI and UAB. But the differences are not so great in my mind that you need to really shake it up if you like the way your list is now.
Thanks gutonc, any comment about which is good place for solids between minnesota vs. mcw vs.RPCI

Last edited:
Glitterati at SDN... I have a very ordinary list but would prefer feedback, im very confused from 3 to 7... Would like to do some clinical research , would not want to close opportunity for academics later. prefer being near a city, have family around texas.

1. U Mich
2. U Rochester
3. U Arkansas
4. Methodist Houston
5. Downstate
6. LSU Shreveport
7. Baylor Dallas
8. St elizabeth
9. Marshall
10. St Johns Providence

Also have an interview to the Cleveland clinic phase I program.... but dont know if that would be a good choice? Probably more doable after a fellowship anyway.

Last edited:
Hello I am looking for advise how to rank these programs. Interested in solid tumors but want good training in both, career in academic medicine
OHSU
USC
UC davis
UC irvine
UCLA olive view
UT san antonio
Albert einstein phily ( new community program)
U cincinnati vs loma linda ( can only make to one interview)

Thanks !

seems reasonable ... you seem to have a very strong west coast preference ... that would answer cincinnati vs loma linda for you

Glitterati at SDN... I have a very ordinary list but would prefer feedback, im very confused from 3 to 7... Would like to do some clinical research , would not want to close opportunity for academics later. prefer being near a city, have family around texas.

1. U Mich
2. U Rochester
3. U Arkansas
4. Methodist Houston
5. Downstate
6. LSU Shreveport
7. Baylor Dallas
8. St elizabeth
9. Marshall
10. St Johns Providence

Also have an interview to the Cleveland clinic phase I program.... but dont know if that would be a good choice? Probably more doable after a fellowship anyway.

downstate is too high on that list

Are chances relatively similar for an academic career with clinical research focus if you go to Mayo Vs MDACC? I know this is first world problems but I'm really having second thoughts here

MDACC might be bigger with more research going on but I don't think any academic goals would suffer from going to mayo

MDACC might be bigger with more research going on but I don't think any academic goals would suffer from going to mayo
Somebody will probably come along and say something about the virtually mandatory 4th year at Mayo. I would point out that, for those hoping to go into strong academic settings with research support, a 4th (or even 5th) year as a "super fellow" is becoming nearly mandatory everywhere for all but a very lucky/driven few. I know people at top institutions with 1st author Nature, Blood and Cell (etc) papers as well as K (or K-type) grants who have had to do this for a year or two before getting a TT position. This is less of an issue for a purely clinical academic position. But something to keep in mind for current and future applicants.

Thanks visari and gutonc... the "mandatory" 4th year is not going to be a factor in making my list and if an additional year in fellowship is needed to set foot in the academic setting, I'm all for it ... it's just that I had a feeling from my brief interview days (which might be all wrong) that although MDACC is full of big shots, they might not be quite available as resources to fellows where at Mayo people seemed more approachable ... in other words, the fellows are valued more at once place compared to the other ... that's just a feeling I got from interviewing and talking to fellows there and trying to read between the lines ... and I was wondering if you guys have heard similar things about these places
I worked at MDACC for over a year and I can tell you that you are absolutely right. The mentorship there is not good compared to other programs. Attendings are quite tough there and not that approachable. That being said if you put in the appropriate effort you will learn everything under the sun. You have to try to grab there attention and not take it personal if you get some attitude. It's a big name and can get you anywhere. I don't know anything about mayo though.

Thanks a lot Visari.... One question i have is that Baylor and Methodist are top hospitals in texas... Will i get better training there than at LSU / Downstate or even UAMS? And should i rank them higher up ?

Hell all, I am interested in malignant hem, and want to pursue academia, I dont have high tier interviews. Can you give me opinion on the following please;

Tulane
NYMC Westchester
MCG/GRU
HFH
UAMS

Thank you!

Thanks a lot Visari.... One question i have is that Baylor and Methodist are top hospitals in texas... Will i get better training there than at LSU / Downstate or even UAMS? And should i rank them higher up ?
Real Baylor is a top program in TX, not Baylor-Dallas. Methodist is a "top" program for certain, very liberal, potentially very stoned, definitions of top.

UAMS
Mediocre TX programs
Downstate (NB, I'm a Downstate med school grad)

What do you think of baylor Dallas if I am interested in academics? Is it worth the trip? Thank you

Thanks visari and gutonc... the "mandatory" 4th year is not going to be a factor in making my list and if an additional year in fellowship is needed to set foot in the academic setting, I'm all for it ... it's just that I had a feeling from my brief interview days (which might be all wrong) that although MDACC is full of big shots, they might not be quite available as resources to fellows where at Mayo people seemed more approachable ... in other words, the fellows are valued more at once place compared to the other ... that's just a feeling I got from interviewing and talking to fellows there and trying to read between the lines ... and I was wondering if you guys have heard similar things about these places

I don't quite see the problem here ... if you have a gut feeling that mayo might be a better fit for you just go for it ... I mean even if that feeling that you got from your interview at MDACC isn't 100% correct, you're not doing anything crazy here ... Mayo is a top academic program and no one would argue

Do good replies to thank you emails mean much? Does it indicate that they are interested in you or they are generic?
Of course that will not have any effect on how I rank but I am just curious to know.

cancelled m interview in cincinnati. hopefully it comes to one of you and hopefully i wont have to regret it forever if i go unmatched

So isn't it kind of rude for a PD to start the interview by saying that he didn't have time to read anything about your application?
It'd be ok if it was one of the interviewers who was scheduled to see me the last minute... But I felt kind of offended by that... Well, whatever

Reactions: 2 users
Yea it absolutely is rude. This was my pet peeve during residency interviews and it is just as much of a pet peeve now. I mean most of us are traveling long distances in the middle of busy rotations spending money we don't have to come and interview, you would think that a PD or other faculty member could spend like five minutes flipping through our CVs before the sit-down (I'm not even going to say that they should read the personal statement, because I'm convinced no one actually reads those).

It's almost as bad when they pull out the CV just as you walk in and the whole interview is them going entry by entry through it all saying "So...tell me about [insert CV entry here]". This interview season, It's honestly to the point where it's actually been out of the ordinary when an interviewer mentions anything specific to me during the course of the interview.

I'm not saying I'm a special little bird, I'm just saying it just seems like recruiting 101 to actually know something about the person coming in the door. Also kinda common courtesy.

So isn't it kind of rude for a PD to start the interview by saying that he didn't have time to read anything about your application?
It'd be ok if it was one of the interviewers who was scheduled to see me the last minute... But I felt kind of offended by that... Well, whatever

Exactly!!! Besides, three places asked me where else am I interviewing, I told them the regions, and two of those then asked me the names of programs!! Is'nt that prohibited?

Is any body interviewing in Tulane on 31st? I have an interview scheduled for 24th, but need to switch badly!

Thank you!!

I had a PD tell me today that it was illegal to ask what places you're interviewing… This is my 8th interview and I feel like at every other place at least one person asked. IMO-- flaunt it.. Throw out the biggest names of places you're looking. It;s like dating, makes you look more appealing… so long as you're not doing it in a douchey way

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts on the below program order from an objective standpoint? No definitive interest yet

UAB
Vanderbilt
Wake forest
Moffitt
Baylor

Thoughts on the below program order from an objective standpoint? No definitive interest yet

UAB
Vanderbilt
Wake forest
Moffitt
Baylor

is this your ranking? because it's a little weird if it is... unless you have some sort of geographical or family preference

The way that I would rank them:

moffit/vanderbilt
baylor
UAB
wake

UAB
Vanderbilt
Wake forest
Moffitt
Baylor
There is no such thing as an objective standpoint in this scenario. Your objectives may be well served by a place on that list that other people might not consider to be a "great" program.

None of those places will limit your options down the road.

Can anyone tell me about baylor Dallas? I really need to know if it's worth the trip. Thank you

ok just to clarify ..this's from the NRMP website:

• Can I ask applicants where else they are applying?
    • The Match Participation Agreement states that applicants are free at all times to keep confidential the names or identities of programs to which they have or may apply. A program director may request the names of other programs, but it is a violation of the Agreement to require applicants to disclose that information or to ask applicants how they plan to rank programs.

ok just to clarify ..this's from the NRMP website:

• Can I ask applicants where else they are applying?
    • The Match Participation Agreement states that applicants are free at all times to keep confidential the names or identities of programs to which they have or may apply. A program director may request the names of other programs, but it is a violation of the Agreement to require applicants to disclose that information or to ask applicants how they plan to rank programs.
Which is just as I said. It's tacky and crappy interviewing skills to use this as a question during the interview, but there's nothing verboten about it.

FWIW, I've gotten every interviewee I met with this season to give up this information voluntarily without asking anything about where they interviewed. I don't really care, and it wasn't the purpose of my question, but it was kind of funny how willing people were to talk about it without being asked.

Which is just as I said. It's tacky and crappy interviewing skills to use this as a question during the interview, but there's nothing verboten about it.

FWIW, I've gotten every interviewee I met with this season to give up this information voluntarily without asking anything about where they interviewed. I don't really care, and it wasn't the purpose of my question, but it was kind of funny how willing people were to talk about it without being asked.

this question was rather confusing than offending ... I just didn't understand what the interviewer was trying to get by asking me where else I was interviewing ... does he want to know how competitive I am??!! or probably just couldn't think of a better question to ask (probably this). Still, I would prefer that anytime over:
- "um soooooooooooooo where are you doing your residency again? "
- "I was supposed to read you application but I got busy ...just tell me about yourself"
- the one who talked for 25 minutes about his boring research and didn't ask me a single question
- the smarta$$ who spent the whole interview criticizing my papers
-the one with the short attention span who asked me 3 times over 20 minutes where I went to med school

There are some people who just shouldn't be allowed to interview ... I'm glad that I'm not the type who gets offended easily ..I just keep the smile on my face and move on to the next interview

Reactions: 1 user
I have been asked about where else I am interviewing in most interviews.
One interviewer even asked me how many kids I have. I am sure that's not a legal question....but what ever. I am over it now

Status
Not open for further replies.