Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
now is the 4 year track an optional thing at Rochester or is it mandatory for all fellows?
It's totally "optional". Which is to say, if you don't want to get your training certificate and a chance to sit for the boards then yes...totally optional.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard mixed opinions but neither of them is listed as an NCI designated center. Two of my mentors recommended only applying to the real Mayo and skipping the fake ones (not because of NCI designation which is not related to the quality of training)

now is the 4 year track an optional thing at Rochester or is it mandatory for all fellows?

Yeah, I am hearing mixed reviews also about the "other" Mayos. They have the 24+12 model, so I feel like it might be a good option if you are considering more clinical practice. The real Mayo is obviously ideal, but I don't think I want to go to a 4 year program. I guess I am crossing off U Rochester also lol. Who is else goes against the grain of 3 years; Mayo (MN), U washington, Rochester, anyone else?

Hello all. Good luck for the application season. I was reading all the post here and thank you for all the important information to all of the active members. Hope the season turns out great for all :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree... thanks to all the awesome contributors for the valuable info and advice.

What is the word on Fox Chase these days for someone interested in a balanced training in solids ? it looks like one of those programs that people keep disagreeing about. maybe compared to nearby programs like Upenn, TJ or UPMC ?

I have heard mixed opinions but neither of them is listed as an NCI designated center. Two of my mentors recommended only applying to the real Mayo and skipping the fake ones (not because of NCI designation which is not related to the quality of training)

I wouldn't bother with the fake Mayos. Might as well apply to MD ANDERSOON AT COOPER or ORLANDO

Can't believe we will be going through this process all over again! Hope we can help each other out on this forum.

Anyone know anything about the DC programs?

I wouldn't bother with the fake Mayos. Might as well apply to MD ANDERSOON AT COOPER or ORLANDO

Why would you avoid the fake Mayos? Also, MDACC Orlando no longer exists! I just saw the MDACC-Cooper, what was your opinion of them?

Can't believe we will be going through this process all over again! Hope we can help each other out on this forum.

Anyone know anything about the DC programs?

I know!! I'm only applying to Georgetown, their developmental therapeutics fellowship is intriguing.

Single Boarding vs Dual Boarding
1) does anyone know if this question is asked a lot on interviews?
2) does it look bad and decrease your chacnes at matching if you mention wanting to single board in oncology?

Hi guys I've been reading thread since it started and appreciate all the questions and valuable answers.
I got a question regarding LORs.
Lets say I apply on Tuesday with only 2 LORs that are uploaded to the system. I have 2 other Letters still in the process of upload.
If I apply on 7/15 with only 2 LORs. Will I be able to send the two remaining letters to those programs I already I applied to?
Lets say the letters get to them after they already downloaded my application, is there a way that they see the new letters or I will have to contact them directly to make them aware of that?
Thanks once again

Members don't see this ad :)
Single Boarding vs Dual Boarding
1) does anyone know if this question is asked a lot on interviews?
2) does it look bad and decrease your chacnes at matching if you mention wanting to single board in oncology?

I think it depends on which place you are interviewing at. If you are at a place that offers both pathways, then it is reasonable to tell them if you are interested in single boarding or not.

If they don't ask, don't tell.

Hello guys, giving final touch to my CAF.
I have a question regarding research experience section. For the projects that i have completed and have submitted to the journal or have been published and i have already mentioned them in my publication section, should i mention those projects in my research experience section as well or not?
Also how much should we explain about the research projects in description section?

Thanks a lot.

Hello guys, giving final touch to my CAF.
I have a question regarding research experience section. For the projects that i have completed and have submitted to the journal or have been published and i have already mentioned them in my publication section, should i mention those projects in my research experience section as well or not?
Also how much should we explain about the research projects in description section?

Thanks a lot.
Your research should be discussed whether it's published or not. 1-3 sentences per project/experience.

Hi guys I've been reading thread since it started and appreciate all the questions and valuable answers.
I got a question regarding LORs.
Lets say I apply on Tuesday with only 2 LORs that are uploaded to the system. I have 2 other Letters still in the process of upload.
If I apply on 7/15 with only 2 LORs. Will I be able to send the two remaining letters to those programs I already I applied to?
Lets say the letters get to them after they already downloaded my application, is there a way that they see the new letters or I will have to contact them directly to make them aware of that?
Thanks once again

Yes. I applied with only 2 LORs. My remaining letters were uploaded a week later and then I designated them to all the programs I applied to. I called a few programs to see if they received my letters and they all pretty much gave me the same answer that they get notified automatically somehow when letters are uploaded into ERAS. Imagine getting called by 300+ applicants each day asking if their letters were received LOL!

Can one use an outside letter for the letters of rec. I'm planning on using a letter from an oncologist at a major cancer center outside of my own program who I spent 2 years during my residency doing research with. I know UNC specifically wants (based on their website) all letters from faculty at one's own residency but most programs don't specify.

Can one use an outside letter for the letters of rec. I'm planning on using a letter from an oncologist at a major cancer center outside of my own program who I spent 2 years during my residency doing research with. I know UNC specifically wants (based on their website) all letters from faculty at one's own residency but most programs don't specify.
Many people do that. No idea why UNC has that rule, but whatever. Nobody else will really care.

Looking at the 2011 Specialties Match Statistics, US-IMGs (Caribbean grads) totaled 96 applying for HemeOnc, whilst 40 matched (2012, 13, 14 do not mention total applicants, only those that matched..which in 2014 was 45). If we assume the percentages are the same, roughly 60% of US-IMGs do not match.
Dooes everyone feel the main reason for this (other than going to a Caribbean school) is that the majority of applicants did not go to a big university program and are instead coming from community programs? I am at a good NYC university program so hoping that somewhat makes up for my US-IMG status (the rest of my app is decent).
Sincerely,
Uberly nervous US-IMG

Does anyone know anything about the Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center program? Is this a solid training program? Thanks!

Hopefully someone can clarify:
Where do I list unpublished, still-collecting-data research - under Research Experiences?
If I list a poster presentation or peer-reviewed journal under Publications should I also list it under Research Experiences? IF so, do I list each study as its own entity?

Yes. I applied with only 2 LORs. My remaining letters were uploaded a week later and then I designated them to all the programs I applied to. I called a few programs to see if they received my letters and they all pretty much gave me the same answer that they get notified automatically somehow when letters are uploaded into ERAS. Imagine getting called by 300+ applicants each day asking if their letters were received LOL!
Thank you very much for you answer.
Now which is better? Wait till all letters uploaded then apply? Or apply tomorrow and designate the letters when they are uploaded?
Thank you very much for your input.

List is down to 39. Everyone says rusts enough, I'm still nervous!

General ERAS Question: Do I need to put my supervisors names for volunteer and work experience. There is a place to put it in but I did notice that when I put in my supervisor for research experience there is a box that appears that states research experience supervisor only.

Question if I was first author on a manuscript originally but Sr author was corresponding author and was placed as first author and I was placed as Sr. author how do I make mention of this in CAF? Or is it even worth mentioning? ...I'm not even sure this question makes sense.

Hey Good luck every one , just wanted to know if we apply 2-3days late , meaning on the 17th or 18th will that matter a lot ? will most programs download the applications the same day or in a couple of days ?

Thanks

Good luck to all !!! ERAS is open now for application submission. and it all begins now :).

Hey Good luck every one , just wanted to know if we apply 2-3days late , meaning on the 17th or 18th will that matter a lot ? will most programs download the applications the same day or in a couple of days ?

Thanks
I was told that they might download right away. BUT if there is documents pending and in process of upload right now. They usually re-download again later. So if the concern is pending documents it's fine that's what I was told and went by. Hope that helps!

yup it does thanks for the reply drno3man!

Thank you very much for you answer.
Now which is better? Wait till all letters uploaded then apply? Or apply tomorrow and designate the letters when they are uploaded?
Thank you very much for your input.

Don't think it matters. I just applied on the first day just to get it in and not have to worry about it. Other people I know waited a bit until all their letters were in. I do know programs tend to vary when they download applications. Some do every day, some every few days, some once a week. There are a few programs I know of that don't even begin until weeks later.

I have a question regarding MSPE and transcript for US medical graduate. Does my medical upload that to ERAS? Also, what about the photograph? I couldnt find a section to upload my photo. Please let me know.

Yes, you could request your medical school to upload your MSPE and transcript. Alternatively, if you have them, you could upload them yourself. To upload your photograph, you can upload it as such: ERAS documents tab --> EFDO online services --> upload photograph.

Good luck everyone. "may the odds be ever in our favor" :)

Man, ERAS is so slow now, my letter was uploaded on 7/14th and its still not available on ERAS so I could'nt apply today. I hope it won't matter if I apply a few days late.
How many programs is reasonable for IMGs to apply? Like everywhere or what ?

There is a nice thread in the Cardiology section called PC Q &A.
It's a very nice thread and answers a lot of questions. It's NOT really Cardio only kind of questions either.
Take a look at it, you'll get some good answers.

Last edited:
Hey guys - I applied to all my selected programs yesterday and according to ADTS all but one of them downloaded my application right away. For the last school it says "not yet retrieved." Does this mean anything or did that happen for some of you as well?

How can u tell if A program downloaded ur application?

Nvm. Ucla is the only program that says not retrieved for me.

Soo... some of my retrieved programs have the date/time in black, and some others have date/time in purple. Anybody know why?

Purple = programs actually downloaded your application v/s black = they could if they wanted to v/s Not retreived = ?guessing it means they haven't even logged on to ERAS for the season yet/begun accepting applications - this is hearsay.

And imagine a PD/fellows/PCs actually going through these obsessive posts about meanings of colors on ADTS and thinking to themselves... LOSERS!!!:roflcopter:

I think obsessing over which programs downloaded your application and all those small details is not helpful and doesn't give you any valuable information. Let's all chill out and go back to the wards or whatever and come back here when interviews start rolling. Last year quite a few interviews were sent out a week after submission day.

Does anyone know when the first interview invites usually go out to applicants? End of July, mid-august?

Last year July 18th was the first. Seems like 1st two weeks of August are huge.

Emory with the thank you email. Will be sending out invites in mid-August.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.