Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude your right, awesome Thanks... you made my day. Are you presenting also or attending CHEST?

Members don't see this ad.

Yoohoo...anybody home!? It's awfully quiet in here, and here I thought we're about the most competitive IM sub-specialty these days..
Pretty sure GI still takes the cake for that, followed by cards. Pulm/crit *may* edge out heme/onc, but that all depends on how you define competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure GI still takes the cake for that, followed by cards. Pulm/crit *may* edge out heme/onc, but that all depends on how you define competitive.
I was fishing to see who would bite ;) Sire/Lady, if thee were to lay countenance on yon Fellowship Match Statistics, thee would feel much sorry for mine lot, for as it goes, the statistics were as such:
Specialty, Applicants/Position, % Matched:
Pulm: 1.5, 64.5
GI : 1.5, 64.3
Cards: 1.4, 72

And for those who doubtest: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...gram-NRMP-Results-and-Data-SMS-2014-Final.pdf

I was fishing to see who would bite ;) Sire/Lady, if thee were to lay countenance on yon Fellowship Match Statistics, thee would feel much sorry for mine lot, for as it goes, the statistics were as such:
Specialty, Applicants/Position, % Matched:
Pulm: 1.5, 64.5
GI : 1.5, 64.3
Cards: 1.4, 72

And for those who doubtest: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...gram-NRMP-Results-and-Data-SMS-2014-Final.pdf

Your numbers are a bit off, but it's true, if you look at table 5 that Pulmonary/CC (not pulmonary alone, which is so small and research focused it doesn't matter) had 31.7% unmatched, almost at GI's 34.9% unmatched and higher than cards 27% unmatched. That said, cards is by a significant margin the largest subspecialty, so that 27% unmatched was still 299 people, compared to 239 for p/cc. It all depends on what measurements you use, but if you really wanted I suppose you could try to claim pulm in the #2 spot.

The other measure you use, Applicants/Position, isn't a very good one. It worked out OK in 2014 in that it put gi/cards/pulm-crit/heme-onc/allergy in their rightful spots on top, but if you looked at it two years ago the most competitive specialties would be endocrine and rheum. It's very dependent on applicant preference in whatever year you look at, and applicants are so self-selected that it doesn't mean much.

Your numbers are a bit off, but it's true, if you look at table 5 that Pulmonary/CC (not pulmonary alone, which is so small and research focused it doesn't matter) had 31.7% unmatched, almost at GI's 34.9% unmatched and higher than cards 27% unmatched. That said, cards is by a significant margin the largest subspecialty, so that 27% unmatched was still 299 people, compared to 239 for p/cc. It all depends on what measurements you use, but if you really wanted I suppose you could try to claim pulm in the #2 spot.

The other measure you use, Applicants/Position, isn't a very good one. It worked out OK in 2014 in that it put gi/cards/pulm-crit/heme-onc/allergy in their rightful spots on top, but if you looked at it two years ago the most competitive specialties would be endocrine and rheum. It's very dependent on applicant preference in whatever year you look at, and applicants are so self-selected that it doesn't mean much.
OMG, that's some researchin! Anyweh, 'tis what it is, que sera sera, time will tell, n = 1, yada yada yada... doesn't and shouldn't discourage anyone from applying given applicants/position is mostly similar most for of the subs.

Getting back to the personal statement, I had 3 of the Pulm/CC attendings (including the dept. chair) read mine and give me feedback so I could get some different perspectives.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
I have a (potentially) silly question for the veterans here: In applying for fellowship, are we required to submit an MSPE? A lot of the programs I looked at do not specifically request it, so I am unsure if I need to have this document forwarded to all programs.
Thanks in advance

Hi everyone,
I have a (potentially) silly question for the veterans here: In applying for fellowship, are we required to submit an MSPE? A lot of the programs I looked at do not specifically request it, so I am unsure if I need to have this document forwarded to all programs.
Thanks in advance

No one wants your dean's letter.

I know at least some of the places I'm looking specifically require the MSPE.

I know at least some of the places I'm looking specifically require the MSPE.
Yeah, I noted that programs have very different requirements. I'm not sure if I should make the effort of attaching/not attaching various combinations of paperwork or just send everyone the same stuff.

Yeah, I noted that programs have very different requirements. I'm not sure if I should make the effort of attaching/not attaching various combinations of paperwork or just send everyone the same stuff.
I imagine sending the MSPE to select programs would be the prudent thing to do.

Another general question: In the grand scheme of things for ''top programs'', what is the hierarchy of importance of the following factors/traits/characteristics in selecting and later on, ranking candidates.

1. Board Scores
2. Letters of Recommendations
3. Research/Publications
4. Medical School of Graduation
5. Personal statement
6. Performance during interview (if selected)
7. Advanced degree (PhD, MPH, MSc)

Feel free to add other factors I may have missed, could any experienced forum member help in ranking?

Another general question: In the grand scheme of things for ''top programs'', what is the hierarchy of importance of the following factors/traits/characteristics in selecting and later on, ranking candidates.

1. Board Scores
3. Research/Publications
5. Personal statement

Feel free to add other factors I may have missed, could any experienced forum member help in ranking?
No. Because every program will weight them differently and they'll have variable weight at different points in the process (Step scores are a good screening tool, LORs are very useful once the whole app is considered, etc). Your list is pretty comprehensive though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings
The application for the fellowship will open at july 15 , anyone applies directly or does it matter if we waited till august first ? I am waiting for approval of poisons which I want to mention in my personal statement , since I don't think I can say I am currently waiting for approval to this position …
any ideas ?

Greetings
The application for the fellowship will open at july 15 , anyone applies directly or does it matter if we waited till august first ? I am waiting for approval of poisons which I want to mention in my personal statement , since I don't think I can say I am currently waiting for approval to this position …
any ideas ?
You could possibly apply, and then update everyone by e-mail..

Greetings
any ideas ?

Approval of what...?

Hello
I am img on h1b visa finished residency last year. I work as teaching faculty now. Triple 99. 2 poster presentation. The resident of year twice. What is my chance if I applied to pul/cc and with intent to change to j1 visa for fellowship.

1. Board Scores
3. Research/Publications
5. Personal statement

I don't want to turn this thread into the IM chances thread and everything that goes on with that nonsense. Everything *can* get considered. Why not? If you've been through residency application process this isn't your first rodeo.

The bottom line, the most important factors will be the reputation of your residency, who knows people at your residency, and your recommendations letters.

The important factors above and beyond that for the elite programs are AGAIN residency reputation, chief resident status, and demonstrable commitment to research.

I've ready covered the deal with top fellowships earlier in the thread.

Everything else will be used to rule you in or out AS LONG AS you seem to get a long with people at your interview (are not a psycho) and your training and career goals match up with the program.

And THAT'S the straight scoop.

Greetings
any ideas ?

Doubt applying 15 days after application season opens will tank your chances. Best to apply when your ready to go then do it in rush...

I just got an abstract accepted at the upcoming Chest conference for a research poster presentation. I have not presented my research yet anywhere. Is their anywhere on ERAS to somehow put into my CV like "peer reviewed journal/abstract" ?

I just got an abstract accepted at the upcoming Chest conference for a research poster presentation. I have not presented my research yet anywhere. Is their anywhere on ERAS to somehow put into my CV like "peer reviewed journal/abstract" ?

Yes.

Help please
I submitted a lot of abstract to ACP now some got accepted for posters n some didn't
Should I mention about the ones didn't get accepted
If yes where? Which section on application.?
Also what about grand round presentation where should I mention that if I should
Will be every thankful for any inputs
I don't think you should mentioned the ones that did not get accepted.
Grand rounds/other reports - I'm personally not mentioning since I feel it takes away from the other accomplishments programs may care about ...I don't know what the general consensus is though

position at chest 2014
You wrote "poisons" so the confusion is understandable.

It's hard to say which will matter less though. Waiting 2 weeks to submit, or getting anything other than a platform presentation accepted at a meeting. Probably the latter. Just submit. If it's a poster, it should already be described in your research section and you can bring it up later.

Nobody ever got or lost an interview offer based on one poster presentation.

Question: When you upload your picture are you able to see it in ADTS under documents? I uploaded mine Friday about 4pm and don't see it. I'm assuming that ERAS probably needs to verify it's not a picture of my dog..

So as of now I have most of my documents uploaded from my end (Step scores, Personal Statement, Transcript, Application Filled Out) still waiting on my picture to be on there and my letter writers to upload stuff. A few more questions if you don't mind.

1) I remember for residency there wasn't a bunch of urgency to have everything uploaded on day 1 and I think I still submitted while waiting for letter writers to upload stuff. Is this still the same for fellowship?

2) I'm submitting a paper within the month, should I just e-mail programs if/when its accepted?

3) Getting back to the MSPE question asked earlier lots of fellowship application sites don't really tell you what they want so I'm just gonna submit it unless anyone thinks this is crazy

4) I'm geographically stuck in New England/Mid Atlantic as noted earlier. Anyone have any places that I definitely shouldn't ignore beyond the list I'm already applying to (a lot of which feel like reaches) I would like to be in an academic program and my career goal is an 80:20 clinical to research split doing mostly critical care; specific interests looking at sepsis resuscitation and hypoxia salvage if that helps to recommend a program. (MGH/BI; Brigham; BU; UMass; Lahey; Brown; Tufts; UPMC; UPenn; Columbia; Yale) I know maryland is great but I can't sell the wife on baltimore.

Thanks

You wrote "poisons" so the confusion is understandable.

It's hard to say which will matter less though. Waiting 2 weeks to submit, or getting anything other than a platform presentation accepted at a meeting. Probably the latter. Just submit. If it's a poster, it should already be described in your research section and you can bring it up later.

Nobody ever got or lost an interview offer based on one poster presentation.
well I am submitting a manuscript which at least by the end of july it should be submitted and I already got posters accepted just my LOR will not be ready before at least 10 days and when i was looking for when application was downloaded I believe that to took them week to be downloaded and some of them took month. It jut depends on the program and if you know anyone in it . resident from the same program will get the initials interviews then comes the one with personal phone call , known LOR, then the others .....
seriously after appealing for the second time unless you are well published resident or with excellent LOR from known professor / university you have to wait till all familiar applicants are scanned first.

One thing to keep in mind ... Even though the application process will start (open) soon, many program directors are busy and distracted right now, since they are trying to make sure the first year fellows are competent and not trying to kill anyone, themselves included. They are also busy making sure the senior fellows are adjusting to their new responsibilities well. They may start downloading the apps but probably not giving it any serious review until the new fellows settle in.

That said, I think my program starts interviewing in late August and runs though early November. Definitely first come first serve with almost all the invites sent by middle of September.

Just pure speculation but I think there will be more applications submitted by each applicant this year compare to previous years given how the match went last year ... So there may be more applications for programs to shift through (but that might mean more applicants will turn down interview invites, opening up spots for other applicants)

Good luck to everyone this year.

Guys!, How many programs will be ideal for an IMG to apply to?

Hi, I have 2 questions.

-If the abstracts are accepted to CHEST 2014, should I put in poster section or peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts(Other than published)
-I am still waiting for 2 lors. Should I wait or submit tomorrow ?

Thank you.

Hi, I have 2 questions.

-If the abstracts are accepted to CHEST 2014, should I put in poster section or peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts(Other than published)

Thank you.
I have mine accepted too. I included it as peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts~other than published

Deed's done. Application launched. All the best to everyone..

I am still waiting also for 2 LORs, I cannot select them to programs till they are uploaded. So I am not sure we can apply yet?

I am not sure about the CHEST 2014 in that section. It specifically states peer reviewed JOURNAL article/abstracts? I included my accepted abstract in poster presentation section and next to Chest 2014 put (accepted) in parenthesis as you can still put future years in there also.. Probably doesnt matter in the end lol

Last edited:
So as of now I have most of my documents uploaded from my end (Step scores, Personal Statement, Transcript, Application Filled Out) still waiting on my picture to be on there and my letter writers to upload stuff. A few more questions if you don't mind.

1) I remember for residency there wasn't a bunch of urgency to have everything uploaded on day 1 and I think I still submitted while waiting for letter writers to upload stuff. Is this still the same for fellowship?

2) I'm submitting a paper within the month, should I just e-mail programs if/when its accepted?

3) Getting back to the MSPE question asked earlier lots of fellowship application sites don't really tell you what they want so I'm just gonna submit it unless anyone thinks this is crazy

4) I'm geographically stuck in New England/Mid Atlantic as noted earlier. Anyone have any places that I definitely shouldn't ignore beyond the list I'm already applying to (a lot of which feel like reaches) I would like to be in an academic program and my career goal is an 80:20 clinical to research split doing mostly critical care; specific interests looking at sepsis resuscitation and hypoxia salvage if that helps to recommend a program. (MGH/BI; Brigham; BU; UMass; Lahey; Brown; Tufts; UPMC; UPenn; Columbia; Yale) I know maryland is great but I can't sell the wife on baltimore.

Thanks

You wife will go to new haven but not b-more? Ok. Hey man I've got one too and I know they are crazy about what they are crazy about. Lol.

Anyway. NO. You do not need to submit on the dot. In fact in two weeks many of you will be in here crying that you've not heard from anyone yet. Get the application in by the endish of July if you're still waiting for a few things and its no big deal.

I'd simply bring the draft manuscript with you on your interviews and ask that it be added to your file. I don't think emailing most programs will make a difference. I guess if you wanted to pick one or two that you DEFINITELY wanted consideration from you could email it to the PC and VERY politely ask that it be placed in your file for consideration.

you're not going to have any time to do any real research with an 80:20 split. Forget about it. Which means you need to rule out the places like Penn, the Harvards, and P-burgh. Talk to your wife about b-more, be convincing this time. Plus if you can get her to Bmore you could also potentially get her to Georgetown. Tufts and BU are going to be good spots. Jeff is solid. I'd personally avoid the NYC programs like the plague but they still have some good clinical programs especially NYU. Rochester is supposed to be a rock. Yale would be a nice spot to land even if you have to train in new haven. Dartmouth and Vermont are dark horses that will usually take internally but should get an application just in case. Brown is also good. I don't hear anything good about the NJ programs. Maine takes one fellow per year and is supposed to be really nice but they essentially recruit internally.

As many as you can afford to apply to.

Don't apply to top 10 places.
Looks like it's going to be crazy. Almost everyone I know seems to be applying to ALL the places, there's gonna be a looot of cancelled interviews :p
Sigh! if only PCCM were still like Endo/Nephro and ID. Looks like someone in the nephro forum already got an invite.

I don't know enough about Umass or Uconn to comment.
From fellows from these places..
UMASS: clinically solid, more research oriented than UCONN, apparently IM residents not that great with procedures so the fellows get to do a lot of them in the ICU. + eICU experience for whatever that's worth
UCONN: small program, very clinical, fellows do a LOT of bronchs + significant IP, faculty apparently a plus - nice people. Heard residents usually good with procedures/clinically solid, fellows oversee ICU peripherally and do the other stuff - bronchs/chest tubes/taps
Not sure about transplant at either place.

Hi, I have 2 questions.

Thank you.

I put my abstract that was accepted to CHEST 2014 in the "poster presentations" section of ERAS.

Applications in !!! Most programs shows available to program for the documents . Now the waiting game starts

Guys!, How many programs will be ideal for an IMG to apply to?

depends heavily in your immigration / visa status. Some programs will drop your file if you're not elegible for T32 funding. Some other will not sponsor H1B visas. Apply anywhere you'd be happy training. don't apply where you'd rather not go. The midwest has excellent schools that haven't had much discussion so far in this thread. Iowa, Nebraska & Wisconsin are really great places.

50 applications in. Have programs downloaded yet?

Does it take a while for LORs to come up on the ADTS after they are uploaded? One of my letter writers said he uploaded it yesterday, I still do not see it...

One of my letter writers uploaded one Sunday night - it's up. Another uploaded it about 12 pm yesterday, that's still pending, so I'm assuming it's going to be a while until they get to yours but probably before tomorrow afternoon given the rate they're working at.