Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I am sort of new to SDN (haven't used it since I applied to med school) and thought that since I am a hospitalist now and out of the loop a bit, I would check out this forum for Pulm/CC fellowship. I only applied to a few programs (basically places my wife is willing to live). I received an interview invite to Vanderbilt today. I will keep posting any more interviews that I get. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I just saw this list. Anyone else want to update it with their dates?

Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt (7/23)

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis (added for Phur)

Hey everyone! I am sort of new to SDN (haven't used it since I applied to med school) and thought that since I am a hospitalist now and out of the loop a bit, I would check out this forum for Pulm/CC fellowship. I only applied to a few programs (basically places my wife is willing to live). I received an interview invite to Vanderbilt today. I will keep posting any more interviews that I get. Good luck everyone!
Congratulations! That's a big invite... keep us posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did we ever figure what the "blued out" programs mean ?

Why do the dates/times change when they become blued out? There has to be a reason for the change in date/time/color. Unless ERAS is just trying to drive a bunch of type a's crazy.
We may never know the truth!
Conspiracy theorists might say...
1) to drive applicants crazy and see who can make it through the season without ending up in the psych ward
2) they're using the older version of the PDWS/ERAS
3) they're using a 'constant' update version versus updating as needed
4) they like singing 'I'm blue daba dee daba doo..'

We may never know the truth!
Conspiracy theorists might say...
1) to drive applicants crazy and see who can make it through the season without ending up in the psych ward
2) they're using the older version of the PDWS/ERAS
3) they're using a 'constant' update version versus updating as needed
4) they like singing 'I'm blue daba dee daba doo..'

So what I'm hearing is, Eiffel 65 has paid off program directors to turn their statuses blue in ERAS, so as to elevate the group's hit single back to the top of the charts, causing a surge in record sales. It DOES seem to be the most reasonable explanation. Thanks for alleviating my anxiety, Dr. Spaceman!

So what I'm hearing is, Eiffel 65 has paid off program directors to turn their statuses blue in ERAS, so as to elevate the group's hit single back to the top of the charts, causing a surge in record sales. It DOES seem to be the most reasonable explanation. Thanks for alleviating my anxiety, Dr. Spaceman!
Lol..yes! Now if only my inbox were to start ringing wid some those emails, I'D be less blue...sigh:cryi:

Dear "long time lurkers" please make a screenname, let us know if any IVs or rejections, it really does help others.
+Ohio State

Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt (7/23)
Ohio State (7/24)
Rejections:

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt (7/23)
Ohio State (7/24)
Hopkins (7/24)

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis

:banana:My 1st inboxer.... Ohio State...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt (7/23)
Ohio State (7/24)
Hopkins (7/24)

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis

Just a hospitalist my ass. What is your background? I think you help the forum by letting them know your stats because most people here will not be getting those invites and I want everyone to be realistic.

It's becoming freaking scary now! No invite/rejection.

Yeah, I was just posting an update to the list.

I'm not sure what stats you want. I graduated from residency two years ago, then worked as a hospitslist at my local VA for a year. I'm now a hospitalist at a university hospital in the Midwest. I did critical care research during a year off in med school that led to 2 posters and 2 peer reviews articles - one first author in a low impact journal. I have also been working on a critical care research project in residency and during my year at the VA that will be ready to publish soon. I'm not sure what else would be helpful. I went to a public medical school on the East Coast and did residency at a non-top 25 academic program in the Midwest.

Hope that helps!

Any action today folks? Pwiddy quiet... Let's hope Monday brings that derecho/deluge/shower of invites..

I just saw this list. Anyone else want to update it with their dates?

Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt (7/23)

Rejections:

Are you saying that you have gotten interviews already...if yes, then it's a lie. Pulm/CCM programs take their time looking at applications, and give out interviews late.

Plus inside sources at Albany confirmed that no interviews have been given out and they haven't even looked at any of the applications.

Long-time lurker, thought I'd add my Maryland interview.

Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Hopkins
Maryland

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis

Got an email from University of Arizona through ERAS that they are starting to review applications and they will notify applicants about interviews in the coming weeks. That's about it for today.

Are you saying that you have gotten interviews already...if yes, then it's a lie. Pulm/CCM programs take their time looking at applications, and give out interviews late.

Plus inside sources at Albany confirmed that no interviews have been given out and they haven't even looked at any of the applications.

To what advantage would folks lie anonymously in a forum?

Are we really going to do this?

The Albany invite could be an inside invite. Also not everyone at a program will know when invites go out. Really only the PC will know all the dirty details so if you're not talking to the PC there is a good chance you don't have all the information.

And there really is zero reason to lie about an interview especially from a mid tier spot like Albany on an anonymous web forum.

Lets try and keep it positive and encouraging in here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Are we really going to do this?

The Albany invite could be an inside invite. Also not everyone at a program will know when invites go out. Really only the PC will know all the dirty details so if you're not talking to the PC there is a good chance you don't have all the information.

And the really is zero reason to lie about an interview especially from a mod tier spot like Albany on an anonymous web forum.

Lets try and keep it positive and encouraging in here.

Well...let's just say I am talking to PC, PD, CM

I wouldn't call out a lie unless I was 150%sure.

I guessing the only reason for someone to lie...is to make us all feel bad as we sit here anxiously waiting.

Agree.. keep it positive and encouraging here.

Got the Arizona email too twice!!! I got excited for nothing. At least , i know my eras application was received.

Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis

Updating the list with my first interview. Pretty excited!

Well, nothing today, kinda weird, last year ivs got rollin by now. I will save freak out mode till August 5th (random?) then apply more. Damn it.

On the brighter side, codename duchess just gave me a great idea on how to take my mind off....

Netflix: archer, 4 seasons....

Also if I don't go into severe depression from only two interviews (sorry if ure still waiting), then I'll post interview visits as I go on them.

Seriously, pouring over previous threads have been useful in my app choices.

Lets beat last years 773 message thread.

Also if I don't go into severe depression from only two interviews ......
If I wasn't busy with this lazy a** hospitalist trying to pawn off every admission on to housestaff medicine, I'd cry too.... Just one IV.. you can take the IMG out of IMG-land, but you can't bring it invites looks like..

Atleast some of you got invites already, still waiting here...

....So I emailed eras regarding the blue business ...(yes , yes judge all you want, but I know you secretly were tempted to do it too!)
Anyway this is what they said, "The black font is reserved for the date that a document was uploaded to the Post office, while the blue/gray text represents the date and time the document was downloaded by the specific program"

So, like we suspected it means nothing!

Hi, I am new to the forum. Just curious, most of my applications are still in black text in ERAS (only one is grey now)... does that mean that programs have not even downloaded my applicaitons? Do other people have this issue? I am mostly applying to academic west cost programs. Getting worried that I submitted wrong or something....

The two interviews I have are still in black text for everything. Also the grey background is randomly scattered pretty much in all of my programs.
Meanwhile, the blue text is only on one program (and yes the time and date is different)....but I have not heard squat from that program and they apparently "downloaded" it on 7/16.

Ergo, I am inclined to say that the above must be misinformation (not on the part of rheumshoes) from the eras rep.

Based on that information, the programs that sent me interviews, sent them without actually downloading any part of my application.

:thinking:

Thank you firsttima...calms me down a little :) Congrats on your early interviews!

The two interviews I have are still in black text for everything. Also the grey background is randomly scattered pretty much in all of my programs.
Meanwhile, the blue text is only on one program (and yes the time and date is different)....but I have not heard squat from that program and they apparently "downloaded" it on 7/16.

Ergo, I am inclined to say that the above must be misinformation (not on the part of rheumshoes) from the eras rep.

Based on that information, the programs that sent me interviews, sent them without actually downloading any part of my application.

:thinking:
Yeah, i think it means nothing for us - the black/blue business. The place I have an interview from didn't turn blue either.

Hey Guys, I'm new to this thread. Good luck to everyone on the application process this year! Just heard from Univ California San Francisco Program. Updating the list below

Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis

Congrats on UCSF - that's big fish...

..UPDATING from above:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis
UPenn 7/27

Added rejection from Yale :-(
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis
UPenn 7/27
Yale 7/28

I can confirm UCSF is sending out invites, just got mine today too - as did someone else applying PM/CCM in my year. Just to ppx people asking for my info: Southeast Public Med School (very highly regarded w.r.t. clinical training; current IM rez at program with Top 6 pulm program according to the completely bogus methology of USNWR, but with some of the best MICU outcome data in the nation #reppin'). Probably wanna stay put - but nice to have options!

CURRENT LIST:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28
Rejections:
Wash U St Louis
UPenn 7/27
Yale 7/28

Hi. +UTSW.

CURRENT LIST:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28
UTSW 7/28

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis
UPenn 7/27
Yale 7/28

+Univ Minnesota

CURRENT LIST:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28
UTSW 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis
UPenn 7/27
Yale 7/28[/QUOTE]

UVM 7/28 IV invite to peer, I received an email to complete my app with MSPE/transcript.

CURRENT LIST:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis
UPenn 7/27
Yale 7/28

Last edited:
+ UCLA

CURRENT LIST:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany
Vanderbilt 7/23
Ohio State 7/24
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Yale 7/25
UCSF 7/28
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCLA 7/29

Rejections:
Wash U St Louis
UPenn 7/27
Yale 7/28

Has anyone who applied 1 week after application submissions opened up received any interviews as yet ?

Has anyone who applied 1 week after application submissions opened up received any interviews as yet ?

I submitted my application on 7/23 and got an interview from University of Minnesota today.

Keeping the list in alphabetical order..

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Emory
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Ohio State 7/24
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Last edited:
IMG, several publications. Applied to 25 programs.
1 rejection so far from UPENN. No invitations yet.