Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No interview, no rejection...this is nerve wracking!

Members don't see this ad.

From talking to people and judging by forum invites, looks like the season's not really started for most non-superstars. Hopefully, IV's will start tricking in. Wish the wait was less agonizing.

Received an interview from one of the ?'top' spots that's already listed and people have received invites from last week. It's encouraging to know that these programs are still giving out invites though maybe I wasn't top of their list (and that maybe there's not something crazy written in my letters about me..lol). Gotta work on them interview skills..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an interview from one of the ?'top' spots that's already listed and people have received invites from last week. It's encouraging to know that these programs are still giving out invites though maybe I wasn't top of their list (and that maybe there's not something crazy written in my letters about me..lol). Gotta work on them interview skills..

why not post your interview invite? why are you being vague. If other people are applying and posting to help the general public, why not you? Do be selfish man, if you recieve you should give IMHO.- mochief

New member here. Got my first interview: EVMS. I don't know too much about the program but seems like a friendly place.

reposting this:

"Do you want to do research for the next 20 years? Fight for grants and write papers? Are you willing to spend 4 years doing a 3 year fellowship to make all of this happen? These are the three questions you need to answer right now, otherwise you are in many ways wasting the time of any top 10 program. The top 10 are top 10 not because they are clinically THAT much better than the next 20-30 academic spots, but because of their RESEARCH.

I simply don't think most of you understand what you are asking for with a top 10 spot. This isn't good board scores, great letters of recommendation, some posters plugged into the research section of your CV type of situation any longer. This is about CAREER. The top 10 spots WANT to get folks who want to fight for grants and publish papers every single year, all the while working for much less salary and likely longer hours to a place where they can do that and stay in academics until they are done, tracking to full professor. If that isn't what you want to do with every fiber of your being, then you're kind of wasting the time of a top 10, though you might get a nod from one or two for an interview to try and feel you out, depending on the applicant pool for the coming year.

PLENTY of fantastic spots in the top 20 below the top 10 where the clinical experience will not be any worse for the fancy technology and complicated university patients than at a top 10, with reasonable research expectations that will allow to see if you like it, all the while getting you done with fellowship in three years, where you can make an informed decision whether you want to be more of a clinician or researcher."​

Keep this in mind people. Keep this in mind.

Reactions: 2 users
+ case western.
Somebody got EVMS so will add to the list as well.

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Case western/Univ Hospital 7/30
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Ohio State 7/24
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

I think jdh's advice is golden. I know I certainly took it in mind when deciding where to apply.

Congrats on the interview. I will say though, for someone who posts as often as you do on this board and asks questions of others as often as you do, it's pretty poor form to just say "I got on interview." There are people on this forum that are really wanting to know what interviews are being offered and it is a source of anxiety for some to be sure (I for one don't really stress much about it, mine will come when they come, or they won't). The whole purpose of this forum is to be helpful to our fellow applicants, and if you have information that may be useful to someone, why not share it? God knows you want to know who's interviewing where.

Greeting
My PD is out for for personal reasons and i already have 3 letters from other attending I am thinking for applying and just update them when i received the PD letter any advice ?

Greeting
My PD is out for for personal reasons and i already have 3 letters from other attending I am thinking for applying and just update them when i received the PD letter any advice ?

I would apply but I may be wrong. You want your file to be reviewed when it's complete with Pd letters. butsome program does not require PD letters and coordinators would still pass it on to committee to be reviewed so then you should be ok

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interview. I will say though, for someone who posts as often as you do on this board and asks questions of others as often as you do, it's pretty poor form to just say "I got on interview." There are people on this forum that are really wanting to know what interviews are being offered and it is a source of anxiety for some to be sure (I for one don't really stress much about it, mine will come when they come, or they won't). The whole purpose of this forum is to be helpful to our fellow applicants, and if you have information that may be useful to someone, why not share it? God knows you want to know who's interviewing where.
Hey there, you're right, and being on this forum, you should know I've offered all the info I could've, shared my credentials, my ONE interview before today, etc. I didn't think specifics were warranted as like I said, at least 2 people have already posted interviews from Emory, and I said '?' 'top spot' (it's NOT Vandy/UCSF!!) from the list of invites...lol. I bothered to post just to let people know to take heart that invites are still being sent out as morale, including mine has been generally low. I didn't bother replying to #EDIT Mochief's post for it was kinda rude for someone who hasn't bothered to look through previous posts or post anything helpful prior to today. Anyhow, I think this anxiety brings out the 'grrr...meOWW' in all of us. Trust me, y'all are probably one of the first people to know as I (hope) get invites; I'm all for information exchange.

Last edited:
@Leo Spaceman it's Mochief not snakebite. Not rude at all just honest. I just thought it was poor form to keep asking people where they receive interviews but then all of a sudden didn't want to giveback. No hard feeling. WHEN I get an interview I WILL post.

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if reading this thread helps or worsens my anxiety level, but either way I'm hooked.

Can add Maryland, U Minnesota. Cincinnati, and Georgetown to the list of interview invitations.

Anyone heard from Loyola?
What's the scoop on Georgetown? I don't know much about their program. Can anyone shed some light?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if reading this thread helps or worsens my anxiety level, but either way I'm hooked.

Can add Maryland, U Minnesota. Cincinnati, and Georgetown to the list of interview invitations.

Anyone heard from Loyola?
What's the scoop on Georgetown? I don't know much about their program. Can anyone shed some light?

Congrats! No idea bout Georgetown, haven't heard from Loyola yet, and wishing I'd hear from UMM and Cincinnati...
Updating from above:

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Ohio State 7/24
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

More information to add.

INTERVIEWS
*OHSU* 7/30
Albany
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Maryland 7/24
Ohio State 7/24
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Hi guys...like I said before I'm new to this. But I follow the comments daily and find this place very encouraging. Let's give Leo Spaceman a break--I think he is very well-intentioned in providing mental encouragement to all of us who need it. I don't think he was intentionally with holding at all. And anyways, let's keep this forum encouraging and friendly--we have a long interview road ahead and it's good to get the support from here. Good luck on the rest of your interviews!!

First interview today from Case Western University Hospital!!!!!:D

Reactions: 1 users
reposting this:

"Do you want to do research for the next 20 years? Fight for grants and write papers? Are you willing to spend 4 years doing a 3 year fellowship to make all of this happen? These are the three questions you need to answer right now, otherwise you are in many ways wasting the time of any top 10 program. The top 10 are top 10 not because they are clinically THAT much better than the next 20-30 academic spots, but because of their RESEARCH.

I simply don't think most of you understand what you are asking for with a top 10 spot. This isn't good board scores, great letters of recommendation, some posters plugged into the research section of your CV type of situation any longer. This is about CAREER. The top 10 spots WANT to get folks who want to fight for grants and publish papers every single year, all the while working for much less salary and likely longer hours to a place where they can do that and stay in academics until they are done, tracking to full professor. If that isn't what you want to do with every fiber of your being, then you're kind of wasting the time of a top 10, though you might get a nod from one or two for an interview to try and feel you out, depending on the applicant pool for the coming year.

PLENTY of fantastic spots in the top 20 below the top 10 where the clinical experience will not be any worse for the fancy technology and complicated university patients than at a top 10, with reasonable research expectations that will allow to see if you like it, all the while getting you done with fellowship in three years, where you can make an informed decision whether you want to be more of a clinician or researcher."​

Keep this in mind people. Keep this in mind.

Long time lurker. This is very helpful and thanks for posting. I have to say that my impression of the "big 10" is that they aren't completely about research. There are a few "big 10" programs with academic clinician educator tracks. The commonality is that these programs seek to generate career pulmonlogists that will educate, research, and continue to be excellent clinicians.

Any DOs on here applying hear anything so far? No IVs or rejections, been almost 2 weeks since submission. Not sure if being DO, not taking USMLE step 3 (took Comlex step 3), or maybe one of my letter writers secretly slammed me. So many thoughts running through my head due to the silence...

Any DOs on here applying hear anything so far? No IVs or rejections, been almost 2 weeks since submission. Not sure if being DO, not taking USMLE step 3 (took Comlex step 3), or maybe one of my letter writers secretly slammed me. So many thoughts running through my head due to the silence...

A lot of the programs are still waiting to collect apps. UofVermont just emailed me about a question regarding my VISA. UofArizona are still going through things. Just sit tight bro.

Long time lurker. This is very helpful and thanks for posting. I have to say that my impression of the "big 10" is that they aren't completely about research. There are a few "big 10" programs with academic clinician educator tracks. The commonality is that these programs seek to generate career pulmonlogists that will educate, research, and continue to be excellent clinicians.

Clinician educators tracks *specific* to pulmonary and critical care? I doubt it. Some place may make certain arrangements with certain standout persons who really are interested in research on the medical education side. But unless you have the chops that say you're serious about research as per my post, you're not going be taken serious. And these big spots are really all about research. Assume otherwise to your own disapppointment.

Trying not to hold my breath too desijigga. No invites or rejections yet.... From talking to the fellows at my program most didn't hear from places until 1st week of August so we definitely have time.

..... been almost 2 weeks since submission.....
I read your message and thought.."OMG! yeah, it's ONLY been two weeks!" seems wayyy longer though. Hopefully things will start to heat up a little soon. GL!

Clinician educators tracks *specific* to pulmonary and critical care? I doubt it. Some place may make certain arrangements with certain standout persons who really are interested in research on the medical education side. But unless you have the chops that say you're serious about research as per my post, you're not going be taken serious. And these big spots are really all about research. Assume otherwise to your own disapppointment.

Just FYI, There ARE at least a few clinician educator tracks specific to PCCM. University of Washington in Seattle has one. I have also been told that Denver has set up, or is setting one up. They have separate funding from the T-32 backed research tracks. Very competitive however, so hard to count on getting a spot unless your credentials as an educator really shine.

Yah lot of programs advertising clinician educator tracks now

Thanks guys for the moral pick up. Your right its not even August yet...

Just FYI, There ARE at least a few clinician educator tracks specific to PCCM. University of Washington in Seattle has one. I have also been told that Denver has set up, or is setting one up. They have separate funding from the T-32 backed research tracks. Very competitive however, so hard to count on getting a spot unless your credentials as an educator really shine.

Yes Washington does make a special track for specific and selected individuals in education. This isn't something that happens every year though. You'll need to be a rock star.

Bottom line: no one should count on bring able to land one of these very rare spots just because they like clinical medicine and teaching. They will expect people to be demonstrated leaders in this area willing to stay in academics, publish, and move the cause of clinical education forward in a meaningful way.

Yes Washington does make a special track for specific and selected individuals in education. This isn't something that happens every year though. You'll need to be a rock star.

Bottom line: no one should count on bring able to land one of these very rare spots just because they like clinical medicine and teaching. They will expect people to be demonstrated leaders in this area willing to stay in academics, publish, and move the cause of clinical education forward in a meaningful way.

Sorry, I have no interest in debating on here just to debate, but to set the record straight for those that are interested...at least at UW it most certainly DOES happen every year and has for the last 3-4 years since the track was developed. It is not something that they need to create anew each year for special cases... it is a formal track with a separate NRMP number from the research fellowship and they take one applicant per year. Here is some more information from their website.

http://depts.washington.edu/pulmcc/education/fellowship/fellowpulm/clinicianeducator.html

The tracks in other programs are similar. You are very right that those they interview usually have a strong interest in being a professional academician and medical educator and their fellows are generally expected to generate scholarly output in some form (e.g. curriculum development or publications on medical education, etc) and to develop a teaching portfolio. It requires a similar dedication to medical education that those in the research tracks have for basic or clinical research. As they are few in number, the positions are competitive, but not unattainable. Just so that people realize what other options are out there.

Sorry, I have no interest in debating on here just to debate, but to set the record straight for those that are interested...at least at UW it most certainly DOES happen every year and has for the last 3-4 years since the track was developed. It is not something that they need to create anew each year for special cases... it is a formal track with a separate NRMP number from the research fellowship and they take one applicant per year. Here is some more information from their website.

http://depts.washington.edu/pulmcc/education/fellowship/fellowpulm/clinicianeducator.html

The tracks in other programs are similar. You are very right that those they interview usually have a strong interest in being a professional academician and medical educator and their fellows are generally expected to generate scholarly output in some form (e.g. curriculum development or publications on medical education, etc) and to develop a teaching portfolio. It requires a similar dedication to medical education that those in the research tracks have for basic or clinical research. As they are few in number, the positions are competitive, but not unattainable. Just so that people realize what other options are out there.

So? Almost no one appling will meet criteria. My point was don't hold out some kind of hope this is a back door into UDub or anywhere else that is trying this out simply because you like clinical medicine and teaching.

Furthermore, just because there is a funding source, doesn't mean that there is a body placed into that position every year. Ill have to check back on my UDub contacts and see what the real story is here.

And it's not a "debate". To many people simply do not understand the proper context

Hey Guys! Anxiously waiting for the season to pick up! :D
Was wondering if any other DO applicants past or present have run into the situation of a program thinking your application is not complete if there are only USMLE (1&2) , or none at all (i.e. COMLEX only). One of my classmates who applied for cards last year said he encountered this a couple times. I am wondering at what point it might be prudent (if at all) to let programs know that the application is complete despite the fact that there are missing USMLE step scores because we take COMLEX. Thoughts? :shrug:

Hey Guys! Anxiously waiting for the season to pick up! :D
Was wondering if any other DO applicants past or present have run into the situation of a program thinking your application is not complete if there are only USMLE (1&2) , or none at all (i.e. COMLEX only). One of my classmates who applied for cards last year said he encountered this a couple times. I am wondering at what point it might be prudent (if at all) to let programs know that the application is complete despite the fact that there are missing USMLE step scores because we take COMLEX. Thoughts? :shrug:

You know some programs mention they take COMLEX on their site, some do not mention, or some say specifically USMLE. Last year almost 40 DOs matched to PCCM, so I figure by now they should know what it is. But if I do not hear from any programs by mid august I think it will be a good idea to call ones I am highly interested in.

Hello everyone, can a low step score or an attempt seriously affect your PCCM fellowship match chances ?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Iowa?

There is a faculty member at one of my "reach" programs who went to med school and did residency at my current institution. That is my only connection to this person. Would it be crazy to send him an email? What should/could I say in said email? When should I send this email? Now, or in a couple weeks.

Vermont confirmed IV today for me. Had started sending out invites last week.

+ Pitt

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Case Western/Univ Hospital 7/30
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25
REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Not to be a contrarian, but I think picking a "top" spot is kind of overkill. There is certainly a "top tier," but there are downsides to each an every place on that tier. Pitt, for instance, doesn't have a great track record with pulmonary research at the moment (though this is debatable, of course), and certainly doesn't have the success of some other top programs at getting young investigators K/R01/full faculty appointments. Actually, not a lot of the top 15 are good at this (UCSF is terrible at it, etc.). I can rattle off more such positive/negative facts about all of the other "top tier" programs (some it is almost impossible to get MICU time post-grad, etc.) - It all comes down to what you're looking for. Furthermore, there are plenty of programs that aren't "top 15 programs" that provide excellent training. For instance, OHSU has an absolutely *killer* success rate at getting it's young investigators R01/faculty appointments, though on the negative side they don't have transplant. I agree, there is some minor utility to identifying the top 15ish cream of the crop programs, but picking "the top" from those seems quite silly.

All that aside, you do get *paid* significantly more at UPMC as a PCCM fellow ~100k. Haha... so there is that. They are clearly at the top of the totem pole for dolla dolla billz. ;-)

--E

UPITT: Crit Care/money/Transplant/Gladwin/VMI... = #1 as 'silly' as it may sound..

No interview, no rejections still. Feeling terrible...applied to a decent number of programs. Anyone applying now to more programs?