COMLEX Official 2014 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccc2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Comlex, so decided to create one. The one for level 1 was really helpful, PLEASE share your experiences taking this exam and study methods. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard a bigger bunch of whiners in my life.

You're right, its not like this test can decide the next 30-40 years of ones life...No big deal.

Anyways, Comlex II for me was a 597 and my roommate was a 620. We both had 700s on Comlex I so a significant drop for us as well. Doesn't matter for either of us in the slightest as we are both applying ACGME only but it really throws an unnecessary curve-ball for those not in our situation. Hopefully PDs will recognize the NBOME's incompetence during interview season.

I called nbome and they are denying of any changes in the scoring. They said so far they have the same pass/fail rates and same mean etc. Can anyone please give me a link where it states the changes in the Standard deviation from 81 to 60? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I called nbome and they are denying of any changes in the scoring.

Lol. Uworld projected score is 25 points higher than step 1. Comlex 2 is down 53 points and I finished comquest with a 74.87%, a little over 10% above average. So my 53 point drop is completely justified.

Compare your COMLEX-USA 1 and 2 Score Reports. On the 1st page there is a section, "Three-Digit Score:" read that. I think SD might vary slightly with testing cycle but the common theme is the SD was around 80 last year and it is around 60 now. They told you same pass/fail rate? That's hard to believe but maybe it is true. Same mean? Yes, it was always going to be around 500. There is nothing officially stated (I think) that says they changed the SD, it is just apparent on our score reports. Thanks for the update though.

Thanks! I see that my comlex 1 score report definitely said 81 on SD section. I haven't gotten my score back yet but my classmates are indeed reporting SD of 61 this year. That itself makes people score lower. I alerted my school about. They were told by NBOME the same BS that everything is meant to be the same with this recent changes there should be no changes in mean, pass rate, etc. and scores will be interpreted the same way. I told them about the SD difference and so now my school will have a mini-meeting about it. NBOME denying about the changes makes the situation even worse as an applicant as there will no backup info from them when you are trying to explain to residency admission why your comlex level 2 went down instead of up.

Reactions: 1 user
Be on the look out for a nbome percentile calculator towards the end of this year for this new test cycle. Source was from nbome. I'm thinking right before christmas break. hopefully, sooner so we can at least play the "official percentile score" card with PDs.

I just spoke with an NBOME representative that told me that the percentile calculator will not come out until Spring of 2015. He also stated that the previous year's percentile calculator might not give an exact representation of your percentile BUT that it would be relatively close estimator.

I guess I will add my story

Prep for Comlex 1. 3 weeks of prep
1× through FA
Uworld 50% complete and 50% avg
Comquest 60% complete ~63% avg
Comsae B 372 6 wks out
Comsae D 458 2 wks out
Comlex 1 496

So I wasn't happy with my score, but as you can see I was not prepared

Prep for Comlex 2- 2 1/2 mo prep
2x through MTB (step 2 for IM step 3 for the rest)
Uworld 100% complete and 61% avg
Combank 80% complete and 69 % avg
Comquest 100% complete and 75% avg
Firecracker light mode 100% marked
Comsae C 596 4 wks out
Comsae B 649 5 days out
Comlex 2 498

Didn't like this score either and I felt much better about the exam at the time

Dandi, your case exemplifies why this has been so frustrating. You performed well above average on both comsae exams, yet scored less than average on the test. If there was any parity in scoring as the NBOME claims, you should have scored above 500. This descrepancy seems to be consistent with most people I have talked to.

I love that the NBOME is going to play this one is if nothing happened. Rather than the ambiguous announcement on their website, it would have been much better for them to be forthright prior to these changes so that it wouldn't have been such a surprise to the students receiving their scores. In the grand scheme of things I hope it doesn't hurt anyone's chances of getting a residency. Still, it makes a stressful process worse by making COMLEX scores even more confusing to interpret. Most students I talked to didn't even know there was going to be a change, so there was a lot of understandable panic about their futures.

Last edited:
Even with all the cunning and magic of a wizard, I was unable to overcome their tactics. After having killed 670 orcs and uruks on the first level, I approached the lair of level 2 with some confidence. But lo, my shirelings, only 590 would be slain on that attempt. My only comfort rests in the percentile comparison...96th vs. 93rd. Let us hope that the masters of the next age will understand, and permit our entry therein.

COMLEX Step 1 642, Step 2 508
USMLE Step 1 236, Step 2 238

Felt bad after USMLE, left COMLEX 1 whole hour early thinking the test was so easy. The only weaker part on my breakdown was EM. All others were way to the right side. How can this be right? Is it true that an easy question gets 10 points and hard question gets 1 point on COMLEX?

Members don't see this ad :)
For every uruk slain, Mordor must release 1 live hostage. However, 10 orcs must be slain to achieve the same result. Finding the uruks can prove challenging. One major type of uruk is the kind with somatic dysfunctions. These are very valuable to the enemy.

uruk-hai.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Well, thus far it appears to have been a unanimous drop of level I to Level II. I had the same experience. My score dropped 66 points.

Comlex I: 692
Comlex II: 626

These are some strange times. Here is to hoping that this drop doesn't negatively impact us in terms of getting an interview so that we can all explain ourselves as to why our scores "appear" to have taken a dive.

As a side note, the formula provided for a score calculation based on last years parameters (1.43 x score) - 207 is quite accurate in my case as it shows a 688.

Opps I forgot the back sorry!
thanks a bunch! these are super helpful.

hey for those of u guys who've taken it, during our optional 40 minute break, is it possible to review any material? it's been awhile since i took level 1 and i'm quite sure i saw some kids reviewing flashcards (physical-not electronic) during their lunch break. i may have been mistaken though. i know that no use of electronic devices but not sure about flashcards..i swear my brain just does not want to register viscerosomatic reflexes and Chapman points. lol

You CANNOT review during breaks for COMLEX, but CAN review for USMLE... I did neither though. The scoring is definitely wacky....

COMLEX 1 - 578 USMLE 1 - 236
COMLEX 2 - 540 USMLE 2 - 254

That just makes NO sense to me... But whatever. Good USMLE makes the COMLEX irrelevant to most programs as long as you passed.

It seems almost everyone's scores have dropped for Level II CE.

Step 1: 236; Step 2: 251
Level 1: 651; Level 2: 612

A lesson for those preparing to apply to residency: taking USMLE is a good idea (obviously only if you're prepared and the self-assessment tools are very reliable from the NBME to determine that) because the COMLEX is a terrible exam and does not do a good job representing the effort you've put in. The COMSAEs are the least reliable assessment at this point.

For those who've already been disappointed...work really hard on making the rest of your application stand out. I don't think this will be as detrimental as everyone's making it seem considering the trend we've observed on the forum. Good luck to everyone!

thanks a bunch! these are super helpful.

hey for those of u guys who've taken it, during our optional 40 minute break, is it possible to review any material? it's been awhile since i took level 1 and i'm quite sure i saw some kids reviewing flashcards (physical-not electronic) during their lunch break. i may have been mistaken though. i know that no use of electronic devices but not sure about flashcards..i swear my brain just does not want to register viscerosomatic reflexes and Chapman points. lol

The lady specifically told me that we can review during our lunch break.

I didn't review, but I did have a backpack with my lunch in it and I left the building with it, so I would assume if they didn't want you to review they would tell you can't take anything with you if you leave.

Add another fallen solider to the list.

comsae 1, form c - 485 (one week before exam)
comlex level 1 - 573

comsae 2, form c - 550 (one week before exam)
comlex level 2 - 489

I have no idea what happened and did my best to prepare and as anyone else who has had the same experience, they can all agree this feels soul crushing. My question to you all now is, should I be addressing this in my personal statement? I plan on submitting my applications this week and now that I have my score back, and I wanted to see what the general feel is out there for addressing discrepancies? I already had my personal statement almost all finished and it seems sad to have to change it now to include this in there, much of which I can not really explain why I did so poorly on Part 2 when I really feel like I prepared adequately for it, it came as a huge unwelcomed surprise to me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Add another fallen solider to the list.

comsae 1, form c - 485 (one week before exam)
comlex level 1 - 573

comsae 2, form c - 550 (one week before exam)
comlex level 2 - 489

I have no idea what happened and did my best to prepare and as anyone else who has had the same experience, they can all agree this feels soul crushing. My question to you all now is, should I be addressing this in my personal statement? I plan on submitting my applications this week and now that I have my score back, and I wanted to see what the general feel is out there for addressing discrepancies? I already had my personal statement almost all finished and it seems sad to have to change it now to include this in there, much of which I can not really explain why I did so poorly on Part 2 when I really feel like I prepared adequately for it, it came as a huge unwelcomed surprise to me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think you need to address your score. It's not like you failed. My level 1 and 2 scores are similar to yours. I was also very upset. However, your level 2 score is still passing and almost avg. No need to address it imo. Maybe prepare something when they ask you on interviews which I doubt they will.

Many student governments are getting together and collecting formal complaints from student bodies about this. Get a hold of your student government if you haven't heard anything, the more voices the better chance of something happening.

Many student governments are getting together and collecting formal complaints from student bodies about this. Get a hold of your student government if you haven't heard anything, the more voices the better chance of something happening.
What's the point though? Nbome won't do anything about it. I guess if enough people complain they might put something on the website saying how they made some changes but it didn't effect scores in any way. If they admit it dropped anyone's score, that is an admission of an error on their part, and I really doubt that would happen.

It's worth submitting complaints. You're right, it's probably unlikely they'll rework this set of scores but maybe at least it could be fixed for future exam takers.

Reactions: 1 users
What's the point though? Nbome won't do anything about it. I guess if enough people complain they might put something on the website saying how they made some changes but it didn't effect scores in any way. If they admit it dropped anyone's score, that is an admission of an error on their part, and I really doubt that would happen.

You could always go the road of apathy and do nothing, see how far that gets you.

I did my part and sent the SGA message to NBOME. It probably won't matter however. Trying to reason with them will be about as effective as telling them cranial is not a real part of medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
The lady specifically told me that we can review during our lunch break.

I didn't review, but I did have a backpack with my lunch in it and I left the building with it, so I would assume if they didn't want you to review they would tell you can't take anything with you if you leave.

Thanks a bunch...unfortunately for me, my IBS kicked in major today and I spent most of my time in the bathroom....TMI i know but i feel crummy about it.

I feel like I spent too much time studying for this test and it worked to my disadvantage. I should have taken it 4 weeks prior as I feel like I forgot a lot of (stupid details~gimmee questions)....ah oh well.

I'm seriously contemplating doing the NBME free 150 question thing and just taking the USMLE step 2 though. I need to show the ACGME programs that I'm not a total lost cause when it comes to knowledge about medicine in spite of my low class rank and sub 500 COMLEX level 1.

I have the permit for it but I also have an audition next month hmmm....

Anyhow, good luck to all that have yet to take it and I sincerely hope that this score changing gets squared away so that it doesn't put you all at a disadvantage.

Just curious, for those who have received their scores, when did you take Level 2? I took mine on July 31 and the scores are suppose to be released on 8/25-8/28; am I going to be affected by this 8-12 week window?

Just curious, for those who have received their scores, when did you take Level 2? I took mine on July 31 and the scores are suppose to be released on 8/25-8/28; am I going to be affected by this 8-12 week window?
It shouldn't? I think that was for the last large set of test takers. It was extended so they could "rework" the grading.

Which, I'm assuming they picked that god awful time to do it so they would have the largest amount of test takers to work with.

Thanks a bunch...unfortunately for me, my IBS kicked in major today and I spent most of my time in the bathroom....TMI i know but i feel crummy about it.

I feel like I spent too much time studying for this test and it worked to my disadvantage. I should have taken it 4 weeks prior as I feel like I forgot a lot of (stupid details~gimmee questions)....ah oh well.

I'm seriously contemplating doing the NBME free 150 question thing and just taking the USMLE step 2 though. I need to show the ACGME programs that I'm not a total lost cause when it comes to knowledge about medicine in spite of my low class rank and sub 500 COMLEX level 1.

I have the permit for it but I also have an audition next month hmmm....

Anyhow, good luck to all that have yet to take it and I sincerely hope that this score changing gets squared away so that it doesn't put you all at a disadvantage.
Oh no, sorry you weren't feeling well during the test.

I also contemplated taking usmle, but figured my scores would come in too late for it to help me get interviews.

But good luck to you if you decide to take it soon!

Figured I should add to the number of drops.
Comlex I: 675
Comlex II: 575

All comsae scores were +620 for both. Something is not right.

Are most of you retransmitting your ERAS so your level 2 CE scores are sent to programs? I don't know how important it is for programs to see our level 2 scores.

The national and most school SGAs are in the process of issuing formal complaints to the NBOME regarding the mid-cycle timing and lack of interpretative information with this new scoring system. We might want to wait until a response is issued from the NBOME before retransmitting, but I doubt it will matter much either way.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you guys talking about re-transmitting in that you've already submitted your ERAS applications? I think I'm probably just lost, but I thought your scores were transmitted when you applied to programs, which would be on Sept 15?

Are you guys talking about re-transmitting in that you've already submitted your ERAS applications? I think I'm probably just lost, but I thought your scores were transmitted when you applied to programs, which would be on Sept 15?

So if people already applied to aoa programs (apps opened July 15), then you have to manually go in and retransmit any new scores.

In ERAS if you click on the documents tab and then the comlex tab you will see big red letters that indicate you have to retransmit when your new scores become available.

I'm unclear how it works for acgme programs since those programs aren't open yet. I would assume that once you decide to upload comlex scores it will automatically upload both 1 and 2 if you've received both scores already.

From the NBOME homepage:

Special Announcement

COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE scores released on 8/14/14 for the new testing cycle that commenced in June 2014 are undergoing a comprehensive psychometric review. A further update will be released before 9/2/14.

Our sincerest apologies for the anxieties and concerns that this has caused. We remain committed to the highest integrity and our trusted mission of protecting the public.

So a question comes to mind - for those of us who have already submitted our applications to programs...if they actually do rescore and our scores go up, will NBOME resend these new scores to programs for us, or would we have to figure out a way to manually get the new scores to programs?

You would
So a question comes to mind - for those of us who have already submitted our applications to programs...if they actually do rescore and our scores go up, will NBOME resend these new scores to programs for us, or would we have to figure out a way to manually get the new scores to programs?
You would just click resubmit comlex on eras and the new score would be available to the programs you applied to.