Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
assuming it goes ok [probably didnt] I will be more than happy to share what I did, etc

After taking the real exam, would you make any changes to your study plan? Anything that you felt you should have spent more time on, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
back from the exam
WOW....thats all I can say!
1/2 of it you couldn't prepare for the other 1/2 was straight out of first aid! Its a really long test but the fatigue didnt affect me until after the test. Some questions I found just straight up unfair [like the stupid research genetics questions....like give me a f*cking break! (had too many of them)]
Felt that nmbes and uworld gave you more sx to work with, while the real deal was so vague about stuff; honestly at times iam like both can be right. Some of the questions had no correct answer, just a BEST answer so that was stressful.
Overall I walked out feeling stunned...kind of like "omg what just happened" I feel just terrible right now.

You'll get what you got on ur most recent NBMEs (+/- 5)
You'll be aite.

Me so far

CBSE 1 (13 weeks out): 238
NBME 1 (offline) (12 weeks out): 223
NBME 2 (offline) (11 weeks out): 234

We still have classes for 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi I'm about to begin studying for Step 1's (i'm taking exam in may 19). I was looking at Uworld and I noticed there are "assessment tests" sold by Uworld. Are they any good/should I get them or should I just get the regular 60 day subscription to their Qbank?

Is the free 150 question set worth doing? I don't even know how I would do it considering I have a mac and all the library computers are macs...

Is the free 150 question set worth doing? I don't even know how I would do it considering I have a mac and all the library computers are macs...

Yes, many do it a day or two before their exam, it's not uncommon to hear people getting 1-2 questions from the free 150 on their exam.
Don't give up the freebies.

Also the correlation is pretty decent, all things considered.

Did anyone write the Step this week?
I took my Step 1 a couple days ago and I felt like it was almost identical to NBMEs and UWorld. In fact some questions were almost word for word. Sure there was stuff I had to guess on, as per usual practice tests, but overall I felt like I was marking less questions than on usual. Doing all of the NBMEs seemed to help. I don't want to jinx anything, but I was expecting it to be a lot worse. I thought it would be more like NBME #16, with long stems and tricky choices but it seemed more straitforward.... hopefully this isn't a bad sign...as I've heard most people come out of the test feeling like crap....

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe a dumb question, but what did you guys do about eating on test day? Did you bring a lunch? Where did you eat it?

Did a NBME today...got wrecked. Failed by 2 questions. :-(

Test in 5 weeks. Can I get to a 240??? Working hard...

Ok I've been a long term lurker but now my anxiety etc has kinda taken over and I feel like I need to share/vent and probably over use SDN as a stress relief over the next few weeks..hope you can bear with me!

I have 3 weeks left of classes and then 6 weeks till step. Ahh..I feel like I know nothing/retained nothing from my first 2 years! I've been doing UWorld questions through out the year and am 70% of the way through. I'm not a stellar student (sorry SDN avg) I rank high second quarter/low first quarter in my class and have a fairly decent gpa. I'm shooting for 240 but know I'll probably get 230. I have my school's equivalent NBME tomorrow to determine who in our class is at risk and needs more time and although I don't think that's me I'm just freaking out a little bit because just reading FA is KILLING me!! It's so slow! I know I'll relisten to Pathoma during the upcoming weeks and that will help but AHHH reading sucks! How do I keep up the momentum?

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips!!

Yippie

I found it impossible to sit and read FA. I ended up using the First Aid Express videos. It helped force my way through FA quickly. Some people hate Express bc it is someone reading FA to you...but it is much more than that.

Yip I've tried a couple.. and they definitely seem to help. I guess I'm just a bit worried I'll take too long watching them because I'll annotate from them. Are you annotating or just watching? Is it taking you long to get through them? Thanks Polymyxin!

Yip I've tried a couple.. and they definitely seem to help. I guess I'm just a bit worried I'll take too long watching them because I'll annotate from them. Are you annotating or just watching? Is it taking you long to get through them? Thanks Polymyxin!
Honestly I don't think there is much to annotate from the videos. I used them as a way to force myself through a first pass of first aid. I didn't use them for all of the sections, just the ones that are hard to read through (biochem, pharm, etc.). I don't really think I learn much from the videos but it helps to have seen the pages and be somewhat familiar with them. I don't know if I'll use them at all as the test gets closer.

Maybe a dumb question, but what did you guys do about eating on test day? Did you bring a lunch? Where did you eat it?

actually i'm curious about that too. From what i understand you get an hour break that you can use/divided however you like so maybe its possible to take a break between each section and take a bite from a sandwich or something and drink some coffee

From admins on break times options: (The first is what they recommend, the others are based on student opinions)
Break Time during Step 1

Option A

Block 1: No break
Block 2: 5 minute break
Block 3: 5 minute break
Block 4: 30 minute lunch break
Block 5: No break
Block 6: 10 minute break
Block 7: Done!

This will leave you with an extra 10 minutes just in case they are needed.

Option B
Block 4: 25 minute lunch break
Block 5: 10 minute break
Block 6: 15 minute break
Block 7: Go home
0clip_image002.gif

The reason why I put more breaks between the afternoon blocks is that we usually get tired and longer breaks are extremely important to avoid exhaustion and collapse.

Option C

Block 2: 10 minute break

Block 3: No break

Block 4: 10 minute break

Block 7: Done

Every other block, I took a short break to use the restroom, grab a powerbar and drink, and stretch. You have a total of an hour to use as you want.

Option D

Block 1: 5 minute break

Block 4: 5 minute break

Block 5: 5 minute break

Block 6: 5 minute break

Block 7: finished

I had to take a break after every block. I was patting my back for skipping the tutorial and adding 15 minutes. Unfortunately, every break consumed 8-9 min (yes no matter even if you don’t do anything special during that time). It really takes time to check out, sign the paper, visit washroom, drink water, eat a chocolate very fast, come back, sign paper again, and go to the seat, ENTER THE LONG PASSWORD ON THE ORANGE CARD. In 6 breaks all my break time was utilized and I never got time to have a lavish a long break. So, know this very well while planning your breaks.

From admins on break times options: (The first is what they recommend, the others are based on student opinions)
Break Time during Step 1

Option A

Block 4: 30 minute lunch break
Block 7: Done!

This will leave you with an extra 10 minutes just in case they are needed.

Option B
Block 4: 25 minute lunch break
Block 5: 10 minute break
Block 6: 15 minute break
Block 7: Go home
0clip_image002.gif

The reason why I put more breaks between the afternoon blocks is that we usually get tired and longer breaks are extremely important to avoid exhaustion and collapse.

Option C

Block 2: 10 minute break

Block 3: No break

Block 4: 10 minute break

Block 7: Done

Every other block, I took a short break to use the restroom, grab a powerbar and drink, and stretch. You have a total of an hour to use as you want.

Option D

Block 1: 5 minute break

Block 4: 5 minute break

Block 5: 5 minute break

Block 6: 5 minute break

Block 7: finished

I had to take a break after every block. I was patting my back for skipping the tutorial and adding 15 minutes. Unfortunately, every break consumed 8-9 min (yes no matter even if you don’t do anything special during that time). It really takes time to check out, sign the paper, visit washroom, drink water, eat a chocolate very fast, come back, sign paper again, and go to the seat, ENTER THE LONG PASSWORD ON THE ORANGE CARD. In 6 breaks all my break time was utilized and I never got time to have a lavish a long break. So, know this very well while planning your breaks.

Um, I'm pretty sure you have 60 minutes of break, assuming you skip through the tutorial. Why does your option C and D only use 30 minutes worth of breaks?

Um, I'm pretty sure you have 60 minutes of break, assuming you skip through the tutorial. Why does your option C and D only use 30 minutes worth of breaks?
I'm not sure.. I guess because those were what students in previous classes recommended they had some justification for finishing early. Maybe, like the last student quote said, it takes so long to log in out that that was all the time they thought they had left after..Sorry I'm not sure. Our school recommends option A and I think they just thew in the others to let us know it was flexible.

I'd say none of the above quite honestly.

I personally didn't take a break between the first and second blocks. You'll have a lot of adrenaline and be really awake initially. Toward the end, you can't quite anticipate how you'll feel, so you'll want all of the flexibility time-wise you can get.

image.jpg

Just saw this. Thought y'all might find it entertaining as well.

Hey Guys,

finally signed up for SDN to get some feedback haha. Anyways, me've started my 4th week of dedicated study time for Step 1. So far:

Finished First Pass of FA/Pathoma - currently working on 2nd pass
70% of UWorld Done with a 77% average (a mix of timed random, and timed specifeid sections - although my timed/random are probably the higher of the two since me started doing random after the first 2 weeks when me had solidifeid my knowledge base.)

Took an UWSA 1 at the beginning of my study period: 230
NBME 13 last week after my 1st pass: 245
UWSA 2 Today: 260

me am very fortunate to have fairly good recall (not to mention working incredibly hard my first two years). me've heard the UWSA 2 can overpredict scores (but if me remember correctly, it will be worse for more midrange scores), so me are a bit skeptic about my previous test score. My goal is to do the best me can, whatever that may be. My test date is 4 weeks away, am me peaking already, and therefore should move it up earleir?

after my 4th edit attempt - starting to realize SDNs april-fools day thing - me dont talk like this in everyday life, promise.

?

haha sorry - all me was really askin' about was the idea of peakin'/movin' up yer test date earlier
I wouldn't if I was in your position. I'd rather make sure my scores were consistent and try to keep improving. You only get one shot at the real thing.

I posted a separate thread but thought Id post in here as well. Non-traditional student who dealt with illness and transfer to Caribbean leading me to space M1/M2 across 5 years. Thus I am pretty weak in all my subjects except Path. Since I am already facing an uphill battle at getting a residency spot i want to make sure i not only pass on my first try but also do well. I will be taking 12+ months of dedicating studying time.

So far I have done: (in the last 45 days)
- 1 pass of Pathom
- Kaplan Micro and relevant Pharm Micro videos
- Kaplan Behavioral videos
- Unbound FA and put it in separate binders for each section

What I plan to do: (in the next year)
- Finish all the Kaplan videos except for Pathology section and take notes and underline / highlight the Kaplan books
- Take a second pass thru Kaplan notes but this time read the sections in First Aid that correspond
- Using Path Class Slides which are out of Goljan + RR and listening to Goljan Audio and passing thru Pathoma again (2nd pass)
- Do the following QBanks: Rx, World, Kaplan in that order
(plan on reviewing subject in the AM and doing questions till 10-11PM)
- Do as many NBMEs as possible

Projected daily studying time = 8-12 hours

Questions about studying:
- What is UWSA? Seen people mention it on here and dont know.

- My friends have the pdf for UWorld, Kaplan QBank should i buy these Qbanks or just use the pdfs which are separated via answer and questions so i can technically select my answer and test myself by calculating the scores of my blocks.
(The reason i wasnt going to buy them bc my friend has the 2012 and 2013 version of UWorld and he used both and he has the 2010-2012 version and 2013 versions of Kaplan all in PDF --- he said he literally only did those two qbanks using the pdfs and did both versions so technically 4 qbanks. I am most likely going to just do Rx, both sets of UWorld, and a set of Kaplan as I wont have time to do the extra 2012 Kaplan Q Bank)

- When annotating the Qbanks should i copy and paste from the PDF and make a powerpoint of high yield facts or write the CORRECT answer out on looseleaf paper and stick it in the appropriate FA binder?

- When annotating Qbanks should i annotate only the correct answer and educational concept? or even wrong answer choices?

- As for order of QBanks, my subscription to Rx expires in Dec 2014 so i am going to do that first, then was planning on doing UWorld, Kaplan, and USMLE weapon + NMBE very last. Does this sound ok? Should I do Kaplan before U World.

I know i face a hard struggle relearning this material on my own but I am committed and dedicated to giving myself one last chance to do well and get my MD degree. I hope that you guys can offer some advice and help any and everything will be appreciated.

Great job on your awesome Step scores and good luck in the future

Thanks,
Detroit313

Last edited:
So everyone's suggested the use of Pathoma. My question is HOW do you guys use it effectively? Is it just high yield to watch the videos repeatedly? Do you guys read the book/annotate in it, or is the book more of a reference thing? Additionally, do the videos contain all the info that is in the book? I have access to videos, but am debating if I need to get the pathoma book.

So everyone's suggested the use of Pathoma. My question is HOW do you guys use it effectively? Is it just high yield to watch the videos repeatedly? Do you guys read the book/annotate in it, or is the book more of a reference thing? Additionally, do the videos contain all the info that is in the book? I have access to videos, but am debating if I need to get the pathoma book.

its definitely better to get the book .. so by watching the vids and reading the book , you will pass through the information more ( better memorization)
and there is some videos contains concept where he will explain it with long time .. so u can just escape the explaining if u really mastered it and read the book

Only a couple days left: another NBME or UWSA 2?

I'm more intereted in accurate preduction so im learning towards nbme as my last uwsa overestimated by a lot.

Only a couple days left: another NBME or UWSA 2?

I'm more intereted in accurate preduction so im learning towards nbme as my last uwsa overestimated by a lot.
Yeah, I think the consensus is usually latest NBMEs are best predictors; UWSAs overestimate scores.

its definitely better to get the book .. so by watching the vids and reading the book , you will pass through the information more ( better memorization)
and there is some videos contains concept where he will explain it with long time .. so u can just escape the explaining if u really mastered it and read the book

I guess I could take my own notes will viewing the videos.

random question: Does 25(OH)D3 increase or decrease in renal failure? 1,25(OH)2D3 decreases, but does this result in an accumulation of its liver precursor?

The videos are the money. Pathoma is so popular not because of its book, but because of Dr. Sattar's great explanations. I don't know if I'd say watch them "repeatedly," but definitely watch them and make sure you drill every single fact he says into your head.

The videos are the money. Pathoma is so popular not because of its book, but because of Dr. Sattar's great explanations. I don't know if I'd say watch them "repeatedly," but definitely watch them and make sure you drill every single fact he says into your head.

Sounds good. Do a lot of you guys support with Goljian RR book and audios? It seems that pathoma may be enough.

Sounds good. Do a lot of you guys support with Goljian RR book and audios? It seems that pathoma may be enough.
The audios are good and not difficult to incorporate into your week, so you might as well get a hold of them. I bought Rapid Review because I heard some great things about it last year. I didn't have time to use it during my path course and intended to use it now during coursework in the 6 months leading up to the exam. However, with getting through a 1st run through of FA, along with the few other things I'm doing, I've found it difficult to actually incorporate it into my schedule. It's pretty dense, but it's also great. People complain about the format, but it still reads well and things are explained better than elsewhere.

That being said, Pathoma is much more succinct and there hasn't been any evidence that you NEED anything more than FA + Pathoma to nail Path on the step, so that is my focus now. I've been debating whether I use my first week of dedicated period to read it though. What I have read, does make it seem like it is just that good. I just wish I had time to incorporate it now, but I don't.

I'm also having a hard time incorporating RR into my schedule. I want to at least go through the blue prints and maybe use it along with a 3rd pass (granted 3rd pass doesn't take too much time..)