Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, daaayuuum man. Great job. I'm taking 12 now haha. What % did you get right?

Thanks! Although I'm taking it with a grain of salt (11 pt jump in 1 week seems a bit too good haha,) but improvement nonetheless.

Ended up missing 10 questions on NBME 12 - so a 95% --> 660/262

For those that used Kaplan, did you do it before or after usmle RX? Further, do you think there is enough time to do RX, Kaplan and Uworld in M2?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that used Kaplan, did you do it before or after usmle RX? Further, do you think there is enough time to do RX, Kaplan and Uworld in M2?

I haven't used it, but I don't think it would matter too much if you're planning on doing both. Make sure to do Rx though, and Kaplan if you have time. And there's absolutely enough time.

Rx average: 65%
Kaplan average (random-timed): 66%
Kaplan Simulated Exam 1 (3/10/14): 69%
UWSA1 (4/13/14): 238

I'm 6 weeks out and will only get about a month of dedicated time. I'm 40% through UWorld with a 72% average on random-timed. Wondering if I'm on the right track or if anyone has input on what I can do to keep improving.

I'm 6 weeks out and will only get about a month of dedicated time. I'm 40% through UWorld with a 72% average on random-timed. Wondering if I'm on the right track or if anyone has input on what I can do to keep improving.

seems like you are on a solid track. as a VERY general rule, some equation that someone much smarter than me derived shows that 75% UW random-timed correlates with a 250 on average. since you only have one month dedicated, you really should hit these next two weeks hard core as much as possible. not trying to intimidate you, but you want to go in to dedicated time in the best position possible.

Hey guys! hope people are hanging in there

2 Questions: I need a recommended source for Behavioral/Psych/Ethics stuff. I can land a 250+ on an NBME but my Behavioral is always below borderline. It seems low yield but it is my weakest subject. I know there is that "100 cases" book or whatever? I think I have an old version of a beat up BRS Behavioral laying around somewhere. Any recommendations?

And any recommendations on Anatomy? I have BRS Anatomy at home but haven't looked at it since MS1. I have Underground Clinical Vignettes but don't really like it.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

2 Questions: I need a recommended source for Behavioral/Psych/Ethics stuff. I can land a 250+ on an NBME but my Behavioral is always below borderline. It seems low yield but it is my weakest subject. I know there is that "100 cases" book or whatever? I think I have an old version of a beat up BRS Behavioral laying around somewhere. Any recommendations?

And any recommendations on Anatomy? I have BRS Anatomy at home but haven't looked at it since MS1. I have Underground Clinical Vignettes but don't really like it.

Thanks!

What exactly are you weak on? Ethics? Patient interaction? Pharm? Neuro?

Thanks!

Kaplan and First Aid are all you really need for Behavioral Science. Then do the qbanks if you haven't done those.

What exactly are you weak on? Ethics? Patient interaction? Pharm? Neuro?

Kaplan and First Aid are all you really need for Behavioral Science. Then do the qbanks if you haven't done those.

I guess I should have been more specific: namely patient interaction ethics questions. E.g. "psych patient is compliant with her meds, understands she has a psych condition, wants to wait until her parents arrive for emergent treatment" "patient has severe hypertension but only wants to discuss her fear of inherited Alzheimer's with you" "family member insists on alternative medicine" just stuff like that

I've been through two Qbanks already and it still just bothers me

have the recent exams been heavy on brain stem anatomy? I can never get any of those questions right and Rx/Uworld have like >10 questions combined on the brain stem.

have the recent exams been heavy on brain stem anatomy? I can never get any of those questions right and Rx/Uworld have like >10 questions combined on the brain stem.
my test had like 3 or 4 of em.....SUPER SUPER straight forward !

my permit vanished off of OASIS today....looks like I get my results on wednesday :S

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
re:
Can anyone comment on their experience with Step 1 Secrets (small blue book)? I know it's probably too dense for dedicated prep, but what about during MS1 and early MS2?

It has generally gotten high marks as a supplemental prep tool ...was on somebody's list as a primary tool

seems like you are on a solid track. as a VERY general rule, some equation that someone much smarter than me derived shows that 75% UW random-timed correlates with a 250 on average. since you only have one month dedicated, you really should hit these next two weeks hard core as much as possible. not trying to intimidate you, but you want to go in to dedicated time in the best position possible.

Awesome, thanks for that advice. I'll definitely keep up the pace until my dedicated period starts.

Does anyone else have sage advice? @Fatalis?:

For those that have taken step 1 already, did/do any of you have step 1 nightmares while waiting for your scores? The more days pass the lower I think my final score is going to be and I'm convinced at this point that I've had my worst test in the history of medical school (...I wish this was an exaggeration).

I took step 1 end of March and I'm still waiting for my score. Walked out of the test feeling like I didn't even break a 230. You're not alone. While there are only 2 questions that I know FOR SURE I got wrong, there were so many that I had marked for review that I wanted to look up, but I can't recall them at all. Not to mention there are a countless number of questions that I answered by giving an educated guess. Everyday that passes by I feel like I even overlooked some small details on all the obvious ones and got them all wrong too. But from what I hear this is a common feeling?

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for that advice. I'll definitely keep up the pace until my dedicated period starts.

Does anyone else have sage advice? @Fatalis?:
you are on the right track for sure.
keep this in mind:
UWSA1 is MUCH harder [IMO] than 2. For uwsa 1 I got 230, on uwsa 2, 265+
-Rx is a bad qbank: they take a concept/ an answer that they want, then toss in info that more often than not will contradict the answer or make absolutely 0 sense or just be plain wrong. People say "its good to solidify first aid", ok I get that, but the quality is lacking and will make you question if you know basic sciences lol
-Kaplan is good, I loved their physio section [tons of arrow questions, kind of like what you will see on your test]. the other stuff was too detailed orientated but I used it near the end when i needed fresh questions
-UW is the gold standard, just dont go too crazy with annotations. Either way, as long as you are learning from the qbanks you are golden. More so it shows you are grasping concepts so you are for sure on the right track. Do an NMBE and that will tell you where you are at.

Quick question for those of you that have taken step. Did you notice the increased emphasis on quality improvement that the announcement said would be implemented? Just wondering. Thanks. :)

you are on the right track for sure.
keep this in mind:
UWSA1 is MUCH harder [IMO] than 2. For uwsa 1 I got 230, on uwsa 2, 265+
-Rx is a bad qbank: they take a concept/ an answer that they want, then toss in info that more often than not will contradict the answer or make absolutely 0 sense or just be plain wrong. People say "its good to solidify first aid", ok I get that, but the quality is lacking and will make you question if you know basic sciences lol
-Kaplan is good, I loved their physio section [tons of arrow questions, kind of like what you will see on your test]. the other stuff was too detailed orientated but I used it near the end when i needed fresh questions
-UW is the gold standard, just dont go too crazy with annotations. Either way, as long as you are learning from the qbanks you are golden. More so it shows you are grasping concepts so you are for sure on the right track. Do an NMBE and that will tell you where you are at.

Thanks for the tips. You're great.

So I'm about 8.5 weeks out. Up to this point I've spent the majority of my time reviewing and not doing questions, and even that fell off in the last two weeks or so because of some research stuff I had to attend to.

I'm around 35% complete with Rx and am consistently scoring 63%. I plan on completing Rx over the next two weeks or so. Finals start at the end of next week and will go for two weeks. I'll have a month of dedicated study time.

My question is, should I try and cram Kaplan into this? Hoping to blaze through it in a couple of weeks and start on UWorld beginning day 1 of dedicated time. Or should I just skip Kaplan and use the rest of my time to go over UWorld, re-read FA, etc. I'm shooting for >240.

Depends on your strengths. If all areas are weak then ya Kaplan would be good. Otherwise a pass of first aid would be best

I know people say to know FA, but at what level should FA be memorized when starting out before questions?

If you can memorize the bacterial/viral taxonomy / graphs + Antibiotic MOAs, and some biochem you'll be starting off strong.

Reactions: 1 users
How would you compare the test to other recent NBMEs? I was thinking about saving it for one of my last ones to do.

I did 15 before my dedicated study time as a diagnostic 4 weeks ago. Overall, thought 16 was harder and didnt finish with much time left in each section.

If you can memorize the bacterial/viral taxonomy / graphs + Antibiotic MOAs, and some biochem you'll be starting off strong.

In First Aid?
Also, when is a good time to start NBMEs? How many days are allotted in the schedule to do them all? Uworld has assessment tools too?

For those that have taken step 1 already, did/do any of you have step 1 nightmares while waiting for your scores? The more days pass the lower I think my final score is going to be and I'm convinced at this point that I've had my worst test in the history of medical school (...I wish this was an exaggeration).
Same boat as you man...honestly I cant shake the butterflies in the stomach/nerves. I just know I made one too many stupid mistakes/rushed through each question/ talked myself into choosing wrong answers and guessed [esp with ethics/behavioural] and ultimately messed up royally! I get it back tmr...so damn nervous!

Reactions: 3 users
Quick question for those of you that have taken step. Did you notice the increased emphasis on quality improvement that the announcement said would be implemented? Just wondering. Thanks. :)

Not really. I mean there were some ethics questions that I was like wtf I have no idea how to answer this. But nothing on quality improvement that I remember.

So everyone says all you need for Pharm on the Step is 1st Aid and then anything extra you find in Uworld. To what extent are we talking though?

It wasn't just in the explanation, but Pergolide is listed as another ergot dopamine analogue. However, when I checked first aid to see if it was there b/c I hadn't heard of it, it wasn't. So I wiki'd it... and it was discontinued in the US in 2007. Is there still a potential for those thigns to come up?

hey guys! I took STEP yesterday. And I had straight up repeats only 4-5 from nbmes and UW self 1. I was the happiest person there! And ALOT of uworld concepts. And of course alot of really hard qs . Lets see how it goes. The last 2 blocks I was dying , felt dizzy n all hot but I pushed through. we'll see in 3 weeks

I guess I should have been more specific: namely patient interaction ethics questions. E.g. "psych patient is compliant with her meds, understands she has a psych condition, wants to wait until her parents arrive for emergent treatment" "patient has severe hypertension but only wants to discuss her fear of inherited Alzheimer's with you" "family member insists on alternative medicine" just stuff like that

I've been through two Qbanks already and it still just bothers me

Really, what sorted it out for me was UW explanations. Go over them carefully. If you like, make a list of scenarios, and then refer to them as you go along, it'll help cement the rules as well as the nuances/exceptions.

Someone mentioned a supposedly excellent text for ethics, but I didn't bookmark it. Maybe you could try searching for that too?

Last edited:
got my results about 30min ago!
Couldnt be happier, nmbes were VERY predictive! [wont self report my score, I dont do that kind of thing lol, sry]

Congratulations! Very happy for you!

What were your tactics and plan of action, if you don't mind me asking?

Couldnt be happier, nmbes were VERY predictive! [wont self report my score, I dont do that kind of thing lol, sry]

You can't be serious! Such a tease! U gotta tell us. . . How did u do on the NBMEs again? Lol
:claps:CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So happy for u :)

Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing your study plan? Any preferences regarding Rx or Kaplan? (ofc will be using UWorld)

Thanks! Although I'm taking it with a grain of salt (11 pt jump in 1 week seems a bit too good haha,) but improvement nonetheless.

Ended up missing 10 questions on NBME 12 - so a 95% --> 660/262

God, I loved that strip. Actually used it in a history exam. My teacher was not amused.

Anyone else find USMLE Rx absolutely infuriating?

No. I did each systems block during MS2 multiple times. And the whole bank again completely 2x after.

You're really frustrated at yourself.

Don't act like there aren't a couple of crappy question in each NBME you take, or will be a few bad questions on Step, looking at it that way, Rx is still good practice.

After going through 100% of the bank, I realize only 4-5% of the questions were poorly written or had mistakes.

Reactions: 4 users
Two days left! Reviewing random sections of FA that I still haven't memorized. Will try to do a Uworld self assessment later today...

Reactions: 1 users