Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't get a chance to do the free 150 before my exam. Looked over it today and found a question I had verbatim on my exam. And, of course, I got it wrong :(

Moral of the story: do the free 150.

Reactions: 1 user
Also took it yesterday. Felt the same way. Lot of WTF moments.
well, that was brutal, and miserable.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one…it was pretty tough =/ Lots of questions that came out of nowhere.

I didn't get a chance to do the free 150 before my exam. Looked over it today and found a question I had verbatim on my exam. And, of course, I got it wrong :(

Moral of the story: do the free 150.

Heh I didn't have time to do the whole thing either but I saw at least one question that was almost verbatim. The Free 150 felt SO much easier than the real thing though. I flew through it and then almost ran out of time on my real test because the question stems were so long. I had a ton of questions with 7-10 lab values.

Members don't see this ad :)
UWSA 1 - 230 (6 weeks ago)
NBME 13 - 245 (3 weeks ago)
UWSA 2 - 260 (3 weeks ago)
NBME 11 - 251 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 12 - 262 (1 week ago)
NBME 7 - 264 (Today)

Definitely Pretty happy with the progress - 1.5 weeks to go!

NBME 7 - 264 (Today)

What did you do to improve your score from 251 to where you are now. I havent improved at all the past 2 weeks.
And which day are you taking yours. Mine's on may 1. 1.5 wks is going to come by so fast.

I am two weeks away from my step one and my NBME scores suck; they are around 198. What I don't understand is that I am getting around 70 percent on my second pass of UWorld (which according to online sources should be 230+ on my real test). What is wrong? Why is it not translating over? Need some advice...

Mike.

Bump - anyone???

I am two weeks away from my step one and my NBME scores suck; they are around 198. What I don't understand is that I am getting around 70 percent on my second pass of UWorld (which according to online sources should be 230+ on my real test). What is wrong? Why is it not translating over? Need some advice...

Mike.

The "online sources" only really estimate (and it's a CRUDE estimate) your first pass if you're doing random question blocks. You can't put too much stock into your second pass because sometimes you remember answers by recognition, not by understanding. Take the time to really go through each answer and understand why it's correct. It sounds like you may need to review more material outright too. I'll be honest, if you're only scoring 198 on your practice tests then the real deal is going to be a big shocker. It's a lot of educated guessing, and you don't want to inadvertently find yourself on the wrong end of the passing cutoff.

Have you gone through First Aid in detail? How else are you preparing?

I have made a pass through first aid (and a second). I know my material (not evidenced by scores it seems) and get a majority of the questions right but not on NBMEs. I am currently going through a second pass of Uworld (at 68-70% correct) and reviewing each answer. I review all my tidbits at the end of the day. Also doing high yield review from first aid. I am also planning on reading on chapter of pathoma a day until test day and skimming first aid for everything once.

I am not looking for a 240+, just north of a 220. Doable in the 12 days left?

I have made a pass through first aid (and a second). I know my material (not evidenced by scores it seems) and get a majority of the questions right but not on NBMEs. I am currently going through a second pass of Uworld (at 68-70% correct) and reviewing each answer. I review all my tidbits at the end of the day. Also doing high yield review from first aid. I am also planning on reading on chapter of pathoma a day until test day and skimming first aid for everything once.

Also, majority (1200+) questions of my first pass were over January til March; the majority of questions I do not remember FWIW...

What did you do to improve your score from 251 to where you are now. I havent improved at all the past 2 weeks.
And which day are you taking yours. Mine's on may 1. 1.5 wks is going to come by so fast.

The key for me has been repetition. I'm on my 3rd pass through Pathoma and FA, 2nd pass through UWorld, and doing as many questions as I can do (have done 4000+ so far). I'm a huge fan of sticking to a few resources and knowing them cold. There were a good number of questions that I missed on my earlier NBMEs (13,11) where I could only make the 'first jump' or it was a factoid - and I feel like I've been slowly filling in those gaps.

For UWorld (1st pass: 77%, 2nd pass so far: >95%) - when I do UWorld now, I'm not really annotating FA anymore (annotated the first time through,) but I will thoroughly read the explanations for questions that I got wrong/guessed on. For questions that I got right (and can tell you why everything else is wrong,) I'll briefly skim the Learning Objective. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

It's hard to say! My guess is that perhaps you're not making the connections yet with the material that you do know? The test really asks you to link concepts and dig deep to reason through questions. Have you gone through the NBME exams to see which questions you got wrong and then figure out why you got them wrong? Sometimes I found that I knew the info but was not applying it in the correct sense.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I need some advice. My exam is currently scheduled for 6/9.

My school doesn't have a dedicated study period, so I've basically been neglecting classes (passing everything. Don't worry) and treating this time as dedicated study time for the last 2 months. I've done a first pass of uWorld and some of the Kaplan Qbank as well as all of DIT once, which acted as my first pass. My current scores are:

4/13/2014 - NBME 16 - 215
4/19/2014 - NBME 7 - 234
4/20/2014 - UWorld Assessment 1 - 245

Assuming I'm in the 230's or above for the next few weeks, should I move my exam up? If so, how much? I was already planning to move it up to 6/1 or before (that would give me a couple of weeks off), but considering where I am right now (and the fact that I'm aiming for emergency medicine, a field that is competitive but not overly so), does it make sense to possibly not take the whole study time and take the exam 5/15 or at a similar time? I'm feeling like another almost 7 weeks of studying might be overkill and lead to burnout and a potentially worse score than if I took it a bit earlier.

Thanks for the feedback!

by the end of this week, will have finished with 4000 unused questions. Goal is 4500-5000 by Step 1, with a final pass of UWorld. hope it's all worth it...

Hey all. I feel the urge to contribute after following these types of threads for over a year now. I’m indebted to many of you that went before and posted valuable tips for prep and test day. Hopefully a post from a normal student like me will help out a struggling normal student somewhere.

I took the beast yesterday. Felt brutal, but I’m trying to trust my NBME scores and just hold off judgment til the real score arrives. I did well but not spectacular in my first 2 years, always above class average on exams. I used Rx, first aid, and pathoma alongside coursework.

I go to a west coast MD school, had about 6 weeks of dedicated prep time. I did great on the shelf exams and finals for my school, had improved on Rx recently, and was generally feeling like a baller so I went into my dedicated time with a lofty goal of 250. I blew through DIT in 8 days and took a baseline NBME, expecting 230 or so (lethal combination of ignorance and arrogance). When my score on NBME 6 came back at 196 at 5 weeks out I had a genuine freakout day. Low point for sure. I felt like I had followed the “formula” outlined on SDN and that would simply pave the way to 260+. I suppose that’s the danger of SDN.

I pressed on, sticking to a strict schedule of uworld and first aid that roughly resembled the taus method. Barely touched any other resource. My goal was to memorize first aid and do all of uworld, then go back through my incorrects and see where that takes me. I often see people on here saying they know first aid. That book is dense; it is one thing to feel like you know first aid, but it’s an entirely different thing to really KNOW first aid, front to back, every fact. One can easily spend 6 full weeks only in first aid and still learn new things until the final day. First aid (and uworld) seemed the highest yield to me, so why not learn them absolutely cold before moving on to something else? I would do a few random timed blocks of uworld in the morning and review/annotate, then spend the rest of the day reading first aid, starting with my weakest subjects. I did this 6 days a week + an NBME on the 7th most weeks. I found it helpful to have very specific daily and weekly goals for number of uworld questions and FA pages, which kept me accountable and helped me stay diligent in the evening when I was tired. I wrote down everything I didn’t know from FA and UW, and on weekends reviewed my “did not know” note sheets for that week repeatedly (I heard about this method from various people online and otherwise). This helped me hammer down the weaker points as well as made the subsequent FA passes more efficient, as I already knew which sections/pages I struggled with and which ones I had down. Score breakdown:

NBME 6 – 196 (5 wks out)
NBME 11 – 209 (4 wks)
NBME 12 – 220 (3 wks)
Skipped a week
NBME 15 – 241 (10 days)
NBME 13 – 256 (4 days)
NBME 16 – 251 (2 days)

I was pleasantly surprised with the progress. I really struggled to stay motivated after seeing that 256, but tried my hardest to press on. I worked like a banshee those first 4 weeks and thought burnout would never happen to me, but at 5 weeks I was so ready to be done. Took the free 150 the day before the test and scored 93%ish. Finished uworld with a 70% average, though I didn’t put much stock into this and treated it purely as a learning tool (was getting around 80% by the end, then like 95% on my 2nd pass through incorrects). By the end I was reading over 100 pgs of FA a day, so I’d estimate I went through it all about 4-5 times with each one becoming quicker than the last as I skipped pages I felt I had mastered. Unlike some others I found reading FA an active and very engaging exercise. I know. I’m disgusted by that, too.

The test felt much tougher than the free 150 and NBMEs, and probably on par with uworld. Less gimmies than expected. A few questions out of left field (anatomy) but most everything was in FA. Some were classic concepts tested in new and strange ways. A few exact replicas from NBMEs and the free 150. Doing so many questions (Rx, UW, NBMEs) benefited me by saving time in the test; for example, a girl with tourette’s and galactorrhea immediately makes me think side effect of a typical antipsychotic (this was NOT on my exam, just an example). If I was seeing this for the first time I might be able to figure it out but it would take a minute. If you do enough questions and get a feel for what’s asked, your ears will perk up when you hear associations like tourette’s and galactorrhea, especially (at least for me) if you got that wrong initially, as wrong answers tend to stick.

I went over the highly crammable material (micro, pharm, beh sci, HLAs, etc) the day before because I was too fidgety to take the day off as planned, and I’m glad I did because it definitely earned me a few points. While most questions require reasoning and critical thinking, once in a while a rote memorization one will roll along and reward cramming, reminding me of what undergrad was like… *swoon*.

My goal is still 250, but as many others before me have reported it felt difficult and ambiguous so I’d be stoked with a 245 and satisfied with a 235. I’ve seen enough evidence to know how predictable NBMEs are, but it’s tough to trust the numbers and go against emotions when it’s actually YOU ya know? Haha. I hope it works out, because that was the hardest I’ve worked in my entire life.

I’m off to enjoy my freedom until my surgery rotation starts in June. Time enough to binge-watch house of cards and NHL playoffs. Good luck to the rest of you, and let me know if I can help in any way by answering questions. If a low NBME or uworld score is getting you down (as it did me), use it as motivation and double your efforts. If you work hard and believe in yourself ANYTHING IS POSSIBLLLLLLEEEE!!!!! *kevin garnett voice*

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
I had done all of the NBMEs (1-7 and 11-13; 15+16 didn't exist when I took my exam late-2012) + Free-150, and I had two repeat questions + a repeat image on my exam (but different question) = 3 questions essentially.

IIRC, the image came from NBMEs 11-13, and it was the chronic pyelonephritis one where they show the atrophied kidney; the question on the NBME was hard and I got it wrong, but the exam question was a giveaway regardless of the image. The other repeats were a Huntington disease graph (easy) and another one on pulmonary physio (but I can't remember 100%).

Reactions: 3 users
So I need some advice. My exam is currently scheduled for 6/9.

My school doesn't have a dedicated study period, so I've basically been neglecting classes (passing everything. Don't worry) and treating this time as dedicated study time for the last 2 months. I've done a first pass of uWorld and some of the Kaplan Qbank as well as all of DIT once, which acted as my first pass. My current scores are:

4/13/2014 - NBME 16 - 215
4/19/2014 - NBME 7 - 234
4/20/2014 - UWorld Assessment 1 - 245

Assuming I'm in the 230's or above for the next few weeks, should I move my exam up? If so, how much? I was already planning to move it up to 6/1 or before (that would give me a couple of weeks off), but considering where I am right now (and the fact that I'm aiming for emergency medicine, a field that is competitive but not overly so), does it make sense to possibly not take the whole study time and take the exam 5/15 or at a similar time? I'm feeling like another almost 7 weeks of studying might be overkill and lead to burnout and a potentially worse score than if I took it a bit earlier.

Thanks for the feedback!

I like the moving it up idea for you, especially since you've already done uworld once. I did 7 weeks study time and by the end wanted to pull my hair out. As for when... Sorry I can't give you a date.

Anybody who can tell me how to get access to free 150 of NBME please help..

Last edited:
Anyone has some tips for sleep that does not involve sleeping pills? My exam is in a couple of days, and it looks like the insominia already started....

Anyone has some tips for sleep that does not involve sleeping pills? My exam is in a couple of days, and it looks like the insominia already started....

Melatonin works really well. Take one an hour or two before you want to fall asleep. You have to relax though. Keep reassuring yourself that you've put in the work so its time to relax and sleep. I know you said no sleeping pills (I don't consider melatonin a sleeping pill)

Reactions: 1 users
I like the moving it up idea for you, especially since you've already done uworld once. I did 7 weeks study time and by the end wanted to pull my hair out. As for when... Sorry I can't give you a date.

The advice is still helpful, especially since many at my school have scheduled the exam for something like June 20th (rotations start June 30th) and look at me as if I'm crazy when I suggest that I might move my test date forward. I don't have anyone objective to talk to about it here at school, and the idea of doing ANOTHER 7 weeks of study really does seem like overkill. I mean, I'm not going for ortho, optho, or derm, so even if UWSA overestimates by 10(ish), I think I'm still in a good place. I would be ecstatic with a 235.

Last edited:
so what is the consensus for when the scores are released? if you took it after wednesday (saturday) is it 3 or 4 weds?

Here's a dumb question:

For those of you who wear contact lenses, did you wear your contacts on test day or glasses?

Hey all. I feel the urge to contribute after following these types of threads for over a year now. I’m indebted to many of you that went before and posted valuable tips for prep and test day. Hopefully a post from a normal student like me will help out a struggling normal student somewhere.

I took the beast yesterday. Felt brutal, but I’m trying to trust my NBME scores and just hold off judgment til the real score arrives. I did well but not spectacular in my first 2 years, always above class average on exams. I used Rx, first aid, and pathoma alongside coursework.

I go to a west coast MD school, had about 6 weeks of dedicated prep time. I did great on the shelf exams and finals for my school, had improved on Rx recently, and was generally feeling like a baller so I went into my dedicated time with a lofty goal of 250. I blew through DIT in 8 days and took a baseline NBME, expecting 230 or so (lethal combination of ignorance and arrogance). When my score on NBME 6 came back at 196 at 5 weeks out I had a genuine freakout day. Low point for sure. I felt like I had followed the “formula” outlined on SDN and that would simply pave the way to 260+. I suppose that’s the danger of SDN.

I pressed on, sticking to a strict schedule of uworld and first aid that roughly resembled the taus method. Barely touched any other resource. My goal was to memorize first aid and do all of uworld, then go back through my incorrects and see where that takes me. I often see people on here saying they know first aid. That book is dense; it is one thing to feel like you know first aid, but it’s an entirely different thing to really KNOW first aid, front to back, every fact. One can easily spend 6 full weeks only in first aid and still learn new things until the final day. First aid (and uworld) seemed the highest yield to me, so why not learn them absolutely cold before moving on to something else? I would do a few random timed blocks of uworld in the morning and review/annotate, then spend the rest of the day reading first aid, starting with my weakest subjects. I did this 6 days a week + an NBME on the 7th most weeks. I found it helpful to have very specific daily and weekly goals for number of uworld questions and FA pages, which kept me accountable and helped me stay diligent in the evening when I was tired. I wrote down everything I didn’t know from FA and UW, and on weekends reviewed my “did not know” note sheets for that week repeatedly (I heard about this method from various people online and otherwise). This helped me hammer down the weaker points as well as made the subsequent FA passes more efficient, as I already knew which sections/pages I struggled with and which ones I had down. Score breakdown:

NBME 6 – 196 (5 wks out)
NBME 11 – 209 (4 wks)
NBME 12 – 220 (3 wks)
Skipped a week
NBME 15 – 241 (10 days)
NBME 13 – 256 (4 days)
NBME 16 – 251 (2 days)

I was pleasantly surprised with the progress. I really struggled to stay motivated after seeing that 256, but tried my hardest to press on. I worked like a banshee those first 4 weeks and thought burnout would never happen to me, but at 5 weeks I was so ready to be done. Took the free 150 the day before the test and scored 93%ish. Finished uworld with a 70% average, though I didn’t put much stock into this and treated it purely as a learning tool (was getting around 80% by the end, then like 95% on my 2nd pass through incorrects). By the end I was reading over 100 pgs of FA a day, so I’d estimate I went through it all about 4-5 times with each one becoming quicker than the last as I skipped pages I felt I had mastered. Unlike some others I found reading FA an active and very engaging exercise. I know. I’m disgusted by that, too.

The test felt much tougher than the free 150 and NBMEs, and probably on par with uworld. Less gimmies than expected. A few questions out of left field (anatomy) but most everything was in FA. Some were classic concepts tested in new and strange ways. A few exact replicas from NBMEs and the free 150. Doing so many questions (Rx, UW, NBMEs) benefited me by saving time in the test; for example, a girl with tourette’s and galactorrhea immediately makes me think side effect of a typical antipsychotic (this was NOT on my exam, just an example). If I was seeing this for the first time I might be able to figure it out but it would take a minute. If you do enough questions and get a feel for what’s asked, your ears will perk up when you hear associations like tourette’s and galactorrhea, especially (at least for me) if you got that wrong initially, as wrong answers tend to stick.

What was your Rx average? Just curious, I'm halfway through it.

What was your Rx average? Just curious, I'm halfway through it.

Can't remember exactly. At the start of MS2 I was getting like 40-50%, by the end around mid 80s. The majority was not timed random though. Controversial opinion: I wouldn't worry too much about rx/uworld averages. When you hit a question you don't know it's an opportunity for learning. Learn the material when you get one wrong (or guess right) and that's a baby step in the right direction.

I have about 1 week left until my exam, April 29th is the big day!

For people who have taken the exam, what would you say is a must to do during this time?

I am running through First Aid and doing UWorld questions. I took Nbme 16 on 4/18 and scored a 530/234, and scored 91% on the free 150 (although I've read those are easier than the actual exam) I will be happy with a 225+

Any input would be appreciated :)

Just finished my test. Felt like an extra long NBME, complete with all the ambiguity you'd expect and plenty of second guessing. Doesn't help that I panicked at the end and probably ended up getting the last 3 questions wrong...

For people who have taken the exam, what would you say is a must to do during this time?

I am running through First Aid and doing UWorld questions. I took Nbme 16 on 4/18 and scored a 530/234, and scored 91% on the free 150 (although I've read those are easier than the actual exam) I will be happy with a 225+

Eat lots of leafy green vegetables (unless you're on warfarin) and try to smile as much as possible.

haha I see other people as I felt when I took it on the 15th! My last q I changed my ans, still haunts me! I find out on May 7th.

You're in a good spot! I thought NBME 16 was the toughest of the practice tests I took, and it was probably the closest to the real thing. If you scored well on NBME 16, it will hopefully translate over to a good score on the real deal. The free 150 was WAY easier than the actual test IMO. I would just make sure to review the more "high yield" topics (glycogen storage diseases, those pesky vitamins, etc.) and anything else you're unsure of. I did a quick flip through FA in the couple days before my exam and just glancing at things sparked my memory.

I've made a habit of reading the final portion of a passage (the sentence featuring the actual question) before reading the clinical vignette. For seemingly discrete, factoid questions, my train of thought is never altered by what is featured in the vignette i.e. I could have answered the question without the vignette. Is 'skipping' the vignette on questions that are standalone a poor choice, or an economical time-saving measure?

I've made a habit of reading the final portion of a passage (the sentence featuring the actual question) before reading the clinical vignette. For seemingly discrete, factoid questions, my train of thought is never altered by what is featured in the vignette i.e. I could have answered the question without the vignette. Is 'skipping' the vignette on questions that are standalone a poor choice, or an economical time-saving measure?

I think it works well. I do it for every MCQ with a long stem.

I think it works well. I do it for every MCQ with a long stem.

I tend to skim over the answer choices as well. But, are there times you guys have found the whole vignette to be essential in answering correctly on the real exam or NBMEs? Usually, I feel there is a keyword or two hidden in the vignette which can affect the answer.

If there's a long vignette and the last line is "what is the MOA of enalapril?" then the vignette won't change anything - but watch out for questions that end in "in this patient" b/c then the vignette becomes important.

I tend to skim over the answer choices as well. But, are there times you guys have found the whole vignette to be essential in answering correctly on the real exam or NBMEs? Usually, I feel there is a keyword or two hidden in the vignette which can affect the answer.

Yeah, of course, you only read the last line so you have some sort of an idea of what to look for in the vignette. NEVER EVER skip the vignette.

No, you can skip the vignette sometimes. I've had Qs where there's a paragraph and the question is "What is the most common cause of (whatever) in babies?" or "what is the mechanism of resistance to (whatever drug)?" The vignette can't really add anything to those.

Yes, but it's a stupid risk to take.

I only start from the last line if it's a really long stem. For a short-medium stem, I always start from the top - seems to be more efficient.

You're in a good spot! I thought NBME 16 was the toughest of the practice tests I took, and it was probably the closest to the real thing. If you scored well on NBME 16, it will hopefully translate over to a good score on the real deal. The free 150 was WAY easier than the actual test IMO. I would just make sure to review the more "high yield" topics (glycogen storage diseases, those pesky vitamins, etc.) and anything else you're unsure of. I did a quick flip through FA in the couple days before my exam and just glancing at things sparked my memory.
Thank you so much for the tips! :)

NBME 7 - 264 (Today)

took the free 150 this morning - 91%. Fairly disappointed and not sure how to interpret it. Oh well, NBME 16 in 2 days!

Exam is tomorrow. Would push it off for another week, but I feel like I'd get minimal returns and no vacation since 3rd year is right around the corner. I need a couple of weeks to relearn how to be a normal person again LOL.

Exam is tomorrow. Would push it off for another week, but I feel like I'd get minimal returns and no vacation since 3rd year is right around the corner. I need a couple of weeks to relearn how to be a normal person again LOL.
Best of luck.

I'm definitely looking forward to doing the same. It's gotten to the point where unless you aren't talking about the Step, the gym, or one of the 3 shows I keep up with, I don't really have much to contribute to the conversation.

Good luck guys; thanks alot to those who have shared their experiences.

Question - Anybody who recently took it read High Yield Neuro? Considering running through it quickly in a few weeks (will be done with UW). It'll help on finals, and I feel somewhat weak in Neuro (although I've only been through Pathoma/FA section once). I did fine in Neuro classes, but they were so long ago.

Say I wanted to take 5 NBME (or 3 + 2 UWSA) what are the best choices (if it matters)? Are the UWSA's worth it?

Say I wanted to take 5 NBME (or 3 + 2 UWSA) what are the best choices (if it matters)? Are the UWSA's worth it?

I would treat the UWSA as 8 more sets of UWorld questions - and not read too much into your score.

Then do 5 NBMEs as assessments, they've clearly proven themselves to be the best predictors.