Official 2014 UC Post-Bacc Consortium Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctorhopeful1986

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to SD network but excited to get the ball rolling on this years post-bacc consortium thread for 2014. I have applied to UCSD's program and working on the consortium application now. please feel free to chime in with thoughts and anything that can help out the community. Thank you in advance for all the thoughtful responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I will be applying to the UC Davis, UCSF, and UC Irvine, and UC Riverside postbacc programs. I go to UCSD and I wanted to apply for UCSD's program, but their deadline was way too early for me.

I looked into past threads and there aren't really new posts about all the individual programs...

For any alumni of the program, can you provide any insight of how helpful the program is? How does financial aid work? Rigor of classes? etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I will be applying to the UC Davis, UCSF, and UC Irvine, and UC Riverside postbacc programs. I go to UCSD and I wanted to apply for UCSD's program, but their deadline was way too early for me.

I looked into past threads and there aren't really new posts about all the individual programs...

For any alumni of the program, can you provide any insight of how helpful the program is? How does financial aid work? Rigor of classes? etc. Thanks!
UC I Alumni here. I'm not sure if schools provide their own funding now, but I had to take out a parent plus loan. The rigor of classes depends on the school. At UCSF i believe you take courses at UC Berkeley Extension. At UC I you take classes at the undergrad campus along other undergrads. I did better in my post-bacc vs undergrad because I was more focused. In my experience medical schools feel that the UC Post-Bacc programs are "good" (according to UCLA DGSOM counselor) , at most of my interviews I met medical students who had participated at a UC post-bacc, plus if you look at their websites they have a success rate of over 80% in getting students accepted in to a MD school in the U.S. I did it for the GPA enhancement, but I feel I could of done that anywhere, the unique aspect I feel I benefited from was simply the administrative support from the medical school and peer support from my cohort and medical students. For the most part the UC Post-Baccs are not a linkage program, but you get out of it as much as you want (you still have get above a 3.5 and decent MCAT). I feel I would not have been accepted to medical school w/o a post-bacc (probably cuz I have a non-competitive GPA when I graduated from undergrad).

Are we able to apply to these programs if we are waitlisted at schools with no acceptances? I want to apply for next year in the event that I don't get in anywhere, but all the deadlines are before May 15 and I likely wouldn't get any WL offers until after then...

I got the interview for UCSD any one know what to expect? What kind of questions etc?
Congratulations! From what I've read in past threads you should expect the common questions; "Why Medicine?" , "Why this program?", "Why you?", etc. I also read that they are generally pretty relaxed in nature, so don't stress over it too much. As with any interview, be yourself, do your best and you will be fine. Good luck, I hope you do great!

I just completed my application last week for UCD, UCI, UCR and UCSF. I know UCI's deadline is today and the rest are the 9th of April. Does anyone know how soon we will get notified on interviews?

I just completed my application last week for UCD, UCI, UCR and UCSF. I know UCI's deadline is today and the rest are the 9th of April. Does anyone know how soon we will get notified on interviews?
I would imagine not until after the 9th for all but irvine. Also I was unclear about the irvine deadline because on the website it says today is the "priority deadline" but lists a later date for the final deadline. I didn't get my interview until maybe a month after the deadline for ucsd.

I called UCI and they said they will start sending out interview invitations next week. The first week of April will be their last week of sending out invitations.

That's great news to hear. I called UCD a couple days ago and the director told me she was unable to disclose any details, but that they review applications as they become complete and will send invitations accordingly.

Then I'll have to wait patiently hoping for an interview then. Good luck everyone!

How long should it
Take for any documents (letters of Rec, transcripts) to be uploaded to my application? I submitted on the 18th and it is now pending.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long should it
Take for any documents (letters of Rec, transcripts) to be uploaded to my application? I submitted on the 18th and it is now pending.

It says it can take up to ten days to process once they receive the documents. My letters were sent Feb. 28th and only showed up as "received" in the consortium application today--3 weeks later. I sent in my transcript on the 11th but hasn't been processed yet...

Does anyone know if the deadline means that your application status has to be complete, or just when materials are sent in?

How long should it
I sent my documents back in February and they were uploaded within two weeks; however, I would suspect that the processing time will be greater now just due to the volume of documents they are probably processing at this point. Hopefully your application will be 'complete' by next week. =]

It says it can take up to ten days to process once they receive the documents. My letters were sent Feb. 28th and only showed up as "received" in the consortium application today--3 weeks later. I sent in my transcript on the 11th but hasn't been processed yet...

Does anyone know if the deadline means that your application status has to be complete, or just when materials are sent in?
When I spoke to the director at UCD she told me that the applications aren't considered/reviewed for admissions until they are 'complete', meaning all documents have been received and processed.

I sent my documents back in February and they were uploaded within two weeks; however, I would suspect that the processing time will be greater now just due to the volume of documents they are probably processing at this point. Hopefully your application will be 'complete' by next week. =]

They aren't considered complete until all documents are processed but on the website it clearly states:
"To meet deadlines, applications and all supporting materials need to be SUBMITTED by 12pm, PDT on the deadline date." So I am assuming as long as they receive them by the deadline date you should be ok.?

If your application is still pending, make sure to follow up on it. Call the consortium and ask for an update on your application status. If everything is in and acceptable, ask to have it uploaded. That's what I did and my application was complete about 2 days ago. Good luck everyone.

Oh man - applied this cycle and I am NERVOUS! I applied to UCR, UCI, UCD, and UCSF but my first choice is by far UCR (location). Here are my stats - what do you guys think my chances are:

Completed Science Undergrad Requirements
Sci GPA: 2.7
Other GPA: 3.7
Have an Undergrad Degree (Anthropology)
MCAT: 17 (I don't know what happened there :/ - retaking in May)
Underserved background (single mom with 2 kids, I had to work all high school and college, blah blah blah)
Experienced with Underserved communities (over 2 years)
Volunteered in several hospitals and shadowed 4 doctors (1 for a 2 month period)

I haven't heard anything back yet but my application has only been cleared since the March 12 and officially completed March 20.

Just wanted to get some insight on what you all think!

Thanks!!!! Good luck to everyone who applied this cycle!

Oh man - applied this cycle and I am NERVOUS! I applied to UCR, UCI, UCD, and UCSF but my first choice is by far UCR (location). Here are my stats - what do you guys think my chances are:

Completed Science Undergrad Requirements
Sci GPA: 2.7
Other GPA: 3.7
Have an Undergrad Degree (Anthropology)
MCAT: 17 (I don't know what happened there :/ - retaking in May)
Underserved background (single mom with 2 kids, I had to work all high school and college, blah blah blah)
Experienced with Underserved communities (over 2 years)
Volunteered in several hospitals and shadowed 4 doctors (1 for a 2 month period)

I haven't heard anything back yet but my application has only been cleared since the March 12 and officially completed March 20.

Just wanted to get some insight on what you all think!

Thanks!!!! Good luck to everyone who applied this cycle!
I'm not sure too many of us even know our own chances at this point all we can do is wait and hope for the best. That being said your overall gpa is probably stronger than a majority of applicants here but sgpa and MCAT make you somewhat of a risk. All in all I think you are a good candidate for the programs good luck!

I'm not sure too many of us even know our own chances at this point all we can do is wait and hope for the best. That being said your overall gpa is probably stronger than a majority of applicants here but sgpa and MCAT make you somewhat of a risk. All in all I think you are a good candidate for the programs good luck!
Thanks for the info :) good luck to you as well!

Are we able to apply to these programs if we are waitlisted at schools with no acceptances? I want to apply for next year in the event that I don't get in anywhere, but all the deadlines are before May 15 and I likely wouldn't get any WL offers until after then...

Yes, you can apply if you are waiting to hear back from medical schools. I was the director for the UCD SOM Postbac Program for over five years. They love reapplicants! In fact, they prefer them over first time applicants because reapplicants are serious about applying to medical school. Definitely apply because it will give you a Plan B.

I've written an article on "Five Tips to Help You Get Accepted into a Postbac Program," link attached here. There are other articles about what to write about in your postbac essays, how to get strong letters of recommendation, etc. Good luck!

Yes, you can apply if you are waiting to hear back from medical schools. I was the director for the UCD SOM Postbac Program for over five years. They love reapplicants! In fact, they prefer them over first time applicants because reapplicants are serious about applying to medical school. Definitely apply because it will give you a Plan B.

I've written an article on "Five Tips to Help You Get Accepted into a Postbac Program," link attached here. There are other articles about what to write about in your postbac essays, how to get strong letters of recommendation, etc. Good luck!
Awesome, thanks! I'm just waiting on a last LOR to submit.

Question though: What if you begin the post bacc program summer session and then are accepted off of the waitlist at a medical school? It seems like a waste of a perfectly good spot in the program for the following academic year...

Awesome, thanks! I'm just waiting on a last LOR to submit.

Question though: What if you begin the post bacc program summer session and then are accepted off of the waitlist at a medical school? It seems like a waste of a perfectly good spot in the program for the following academic year...
you would probably instantly pay your deposit to the MD/DO school and forfeit whatever fees you paid to the postbac
tactfully, you would let everyone in the postbac (admin/teachers) that you were accepted and thank them for the opportunity

a postbac's purpose is to get you into med school, if you got off the waitlist and decided to go then you wouldn't do the postbac anymore.

any news? the deadline for UCI is tomorrow, hopefully we hear something after that.

My application is still pending and I need to make tomorrow's deadline for UCI. My last 2 LOR's were sent out last Saturday (22nd) and still no updates. Has anyone had luck calling and having them locate the letters to upload?

My application is still pending and I need to make tomorrow's deadline for UCI. My last 2 LOR's were sent out last Saturday (22nd) and still no updates. Has anyone had luck calling and having them locate the letters to upload?
When I called them to inquire why my application had changed from 'complete' to 'pending' I was able to get through and the man that answered was very friendly and very helpful. I called around 9am so they probably weren't as busy, but I would keep trying. You're bound to get through eventually. Don't give up! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
On a completely different note is anyone else have trouble with 'me' and 'I'? My "I" keeps getting changed to "me".

think its an april fools joke courtesy of SDN

lol a p r "_i_l f o o l s got changed to awesome thing

Sorry for the double post! but i thought i would ask here too.
Has anyone been able to contact the uc post bacc consortium? I tried calling a few times and left a message, but no response. :( I've been using the 916-734-1886 number. Is there another number?
Thanks! :)

I called about my third LOR they answered and were very nice but could not help on locating it because of the volume of letters they are receiving

Is there a good time I should call? I just called three times, no answer. lol

Has anyone heard from any of the programs yet? I called UCD yesterday and they told me they had already begun to send out interview invitations. Also, do you guys mind sharing your stats (sGPA, cGPA, MCAT if applicable).

P.S. Don't give up hopefulpremed10, you're bound to get through to them eventually. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from any of the programs yet? I called UCD yesterday and they told me they had already begun to send out interview invitations. Also, do you guys mind sharing your stats (sGPA, cGPA, MCAT if applicable).

P.S. Don't give up hopefulpremed10, you're bound to get through to them eventually. Good luck!
I am surprised they started sending out invites before the application deadline.

I was surprised too Futuredoctorhopeful1986. The director told me that they review applications as they become complete. She did say that they just started so let's hope we all hear news soon! :) Good luck everyone!

I was surprised too Futuredoctorhopeful1986. The director told me that they review applications as they become complete. She did say that they just started so let's hope we all hear news soon! :) Good luck everyone!

It does say on their website that they have a rolling admission policy so they encourage everyone to apply as early as possible. So the ones who apply early will have the advantage here. But I saw on previous year threads that people still received interview invites late May to early June. So I think there are more to come. So happy waiting and GL:)

Hi everyone, I applied to the 2014 cycle as well! Riverside, Davis, and SF, my application is still pending, my Letters haven't been processed yet, but hopefully they will soon! Good luck to everyone! Tomorrow's the deadline so I hope to be hearing something soon!! *nervous!*

Hi everyone, I applied to the 2014 cycle as well! Riverside, Davis, and SF, my application is still pending, my Letters haven't been processed yet, but hopefully they will soon! Good luck to everyone! Tomorrow's the deadline so I hope to be hearing something soon!! *nervous!*
I was told as long as the letters were postmarked by the due date they have met the deadlines. Good luck! I still have one LOR missing for some reason and application still pending as well.

Just found out one of my letter writers has not sent the letter yet! I have been calling his practice 2-3 times daily and finally got through. Now I am pushing it to say the least... as long as it is post marked by tomorrow I should be ok, but I will be in the very last round of applicants. And no Irvine for me, I am devastated!

Just found out one of my letter writers has not sent the letter yet! I have been calling his practice 2-3 times daily and finally got through. Now I am pushing it to say the least... as long as it is post marked by tomorrow I should be ok, but I will be in the very last round of applicants. And no Irvine for me, I am devastated!
Interfolio for the next time

Don't be discouraged by Irvine, I'm sure you'll hear back from the others you applied too! & yea I had called yesterday to make sure it had to be post marked by the date and not actually there, so like you said, you should be ok! I'll be in the late round too, I had my last two letters sent off yesterday, but I'm going to remain optimistic about it all. I do wonder how many people applied this year though...

I'm sorry Futuredoctorhopeful1986, but like skinnieminnieMD said, don't get discouraged. I'm sure you'll hear back from the rest of the schools you applied to. =]

Don't mention it, we're all in this together. Besides being in the late bunch is better than not being considered at all. =] Didn't you apply to UCSD also? How did that go?