Official 2015-2016 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Looking forward to this forum. I'm assuming that the application submission opening is July 15th this year (like last year) - and from what I understand there doesn't seem to be any changes in terms of the application itself this cycle compared to last year either. Has anyone heard differently?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Best wishes to everyone applying!

Good luck, I'm open for any questions (matched last year)
Hi... So I am a practicing internist for the last 6 years. I will be starting a heart failure fellowship this year. I don't have any publications/research. My question is, what are my odds in getting a cards fellowship after the heart failure year?.

For the required LOR submission info in ERAS, one of my letter writers is a the cardiology program director at my home institution (who is different from the internal medicine program director), but ERAS asks me to click a box if "The LoR Author is a Program Director in a current/previous residency or fellowship where I trained. (Applies to Residents/Fellows only)"

I believe this box is meant more for the 'Residency' Internal Medicine PD, but as one of the writers is the 'Fellowship' cardiology PD, should I click this box for both of them? (as the quotation box above seems to indicate that I should...)?

Any advice much appreciated!

In the same boat guys...Just starting the paperwork and personal statement......I would like to know the answer too.....If some one was a previous program director and is not any more...would that count?

For the required LOR submission info in ERAS, one of my letter writers is a the cardiology program director at my home institution (who is different from the internal medicine program director), but ERAS asks me to click a box if "The LoR Author is a Program Director in a current/previous residency or fellowship where I trained. (Applies to Residents/Fellows only)"

I believe this box is meant more for the 'Residency' Internal Medicine PD, but as one of the writers is the 'Fellowship' cardiology PD, should I click this box for both of them? (as the quotation box above seems to indicate that I should...)?

Any advice much appreciated!

It is not for only Internal medicine program director. ANy residency or fellowship program director or chief of service

@KUGrad
If somebody is an ex program director you don't tick the box . U tick the box if the person is currently a program director

For the publications section, if we presented a poster (and oral) presentation at the JACC annual scientific session, do we list this as both a 'peer reviewed journal abstract' and 'poster (and oral) presentation' or just one or the other will suffice? As this was accepted for JACC sessions via a peer-reviewed process (and printed in the journal edition at the meeting) I wasn't too sure which category it should be (or both).

and a silly question and a smaller point, is there any place to write hobbies/interests (non-academic)?

For the publications section, if we presented a poster (and oral) presentation at the JACC annual scientific session, do we list this as both a 'peer reviewed journal abstract' and 'poster (and oral) presentation' or just one or the other will suffice? As this was accepted for JACC sessions via a peer-reviewed process (and printed in the journal edition at the meeting) I wasn't too sure which category it should be (or both).
This is an oral/poster presentation.

which section to list in ERAS abstract submission(s) to a conference that is still under review and not yet accepted?

Hi... So I am a practicing internist for the last 6 years. I will be starting a heart failure fellowship this year. I don't have any publications/research. My question is, what are my odds in getting a cards fellowship after the heart failure year?.

Well there are a few issues. First, you won't have the kind of resources someone right out of residency would have (people making calls, easy access to LORs). Second no research is a problem, especially for any university program.

A lot of your chances will depend on where you went to residency and what kind of boards scores you had. If you were an MGH grad and scored a 260/270 you'll be fine. If you went to some random, never heard of community program and have borderline failing board scores it will obviously be a very different experience.

Is the heart failure "fellowship" with cardiology faculty and with IM faculty. Does it have an attached cardiology fellowship? You'll need to make solid contacts there and get strong letters to have a reasonable shot.

which section to list in ERAS abstract submission(s) to a conference that is still under review and not yet accepted?

I'm assuming you sumbitted something to AHA... put it under poster presentations and explain that it was submitted but not accepted yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
can a accepted poster (to a national conference) be listed under poster as well as publication ( since it is usually published in the supplement of a journal)?

can a accepted poster (to a national conference) be listed under poster as well as publication ( since it is usually published in the supplement of a journal)?
Would you please pick one forum to post your inane questions in? Cards? GI? Derm? I don't care. Just f'n pick one.

I can post them anywhere I want? Why are you discriminating against me? this is NOT fair. All my questions are different. I am NOT repeating the same questions...
Pick the sub-specialty you're applying to and post there. You're posting in GI, Cards, Rad Onc and Optometry (???).

Hello,
I am interested in DO osteopathic cardiology fellowship in NJ: Rowan University and Deborah. I would like to ask if anyone could give the pro and cons, experiences (life and work...) for each program and if you were accepted to both programs, which one would you choose? Thanks

Any input guys?? I got accepted to both programs for July 2016 and both are great programs. Just dont know which one I should choose. Thanks.

I know...i am in the same boat since AHA results are not out yet...but in the 'non published' section of peer reviewed abstracts...you can enter the abstract and say "submitted". Hope this helps

I also matched last year in Cards and am happy to field questions about the match process. Post away!
Hi,
I wanted to know if it is ok for me to upload the LORs myself instead of 'waiving the right'....Last time when the authors submitted the LORs, I came to know later that they had perhaps by mistake mentioned the wrong specialty ...so, to avoid this confusion, I thought I would request all lors to be sent to me and can verify before uploading right?
Thanks in advance
RM80

Hi,
I wanted to know if it is ok for me to upload the LORs myself instead of 'waiving the right'....Last time when the authors submitted the LORs, I came to know later that they had perhaps by mistake mentioned the wrong specialty ...so, to avoid this confusion, I thought I would request all lors to be sent to me and can verify before uploading right?
Thanks in advance
RM80
DON'T do this. Waive them. Do a better job of communicating with your LOR writers.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody knows what to do with the ECFMG Status report in the Documents section - how can i request it?

I think ECFMG sends this automatically, but not sure.

Hello All. Just joined the group.. Good luck to everyone!

I published more than 10 case reports during my residency as first author on pubmed, master degree from my country
That is the only point with me in my application do you think that will bring interviews? ( i need visa, not a chief resident)

Am sure you will definitely get an interview.
But there are multiple factors that will influence you getting interviews.....like USMLE steps, failure in steps, LORS, contacts and where you did your residency.

Hey everyone,

I am in the final stages of finishing up a manuscript but we won't be able to submit to a journal by July 15. Is there any place on ERAS where I can explain the situation and that I will have it submitted in the next month or so? Thanks.

Hi Docs
I did many lectures for my residents and interns, where do I list them?
I also have CME for echocardiography, where can I mention this?

Hi Docs
I did many lectures for my residents and interns, where do I list them?
I also have CME for echocardiography, where can I mention this?
Is there a "nobody cares" category in ERAS this year? Because this is like saying "I showed up for rounds every day I was on service and didn't leave until cross-cover showed up for sign out". It's kind of a bare minimum expectation for a medicine resident.

As for the CME, see above. Congrats on getting yourself some extra education. I hope it comes in handy for you at some point. But it's nothing particularly special.

Things you cant find a place to assign to can be added to your personal statement or anywhere in ur CV in a smart way like accomishments

I also matched last year in Cards and am happy to field questions about the match process. Post away!

@go lakers (or anyone with any match experience) - I believe it shouldn't make any big difference, but if I submit my application like July 25th (the application opens like the 15th), do you think it would possibly delay programs looking at my application and thus delay invitations? Some programs have deadlines right at the beginning of August and was wondering if a week before the deadline is too delayed to send the application? Thanks!

Although I've looked a few things up, does anyone have any personal experience about the actual reputation of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center as a cardiology fellowship program (compared to other programs not only in Boston but particularly to University-Based programs)?

Also, similarly for the Kaiser programs in California, although not university-based, what is the general reputation of their program?

Thanks!

Last edited:
@go lakers (or anyone with any match experience) - I believe it shouldn't make any big difference, but if I submit my application like July 25th (the application opens like the 15th), do you think it would possibly delay programs looking at my application and thus delay invitations? Some programs have deadlines right at the beginning of August and was wondering if a week before the deadline is too delayed to send the application? Thanks!
generally speaking most university programs wouldn't start looking at apps until late July try to get it out ASAP tough you never know what you will miss

Last edited:
generally speaking most university programs wouldn't start looking at apps until late July try to get it out ASAP tough you never know what you will miss

Thanks for the reply!

Also, (question for anyone) although NW and UChig are the more reputable programs in Chicago, does anyone have any knowledge of how 'strong' Rush and Loyola are in terms of being academic fellowships?

Similar question for the Washington DC programs - For Georgetown versus George Washington, how do they both stand reputation wise as academic fellowships?

Wake Forest, UNC, Oregon, Dartmouth, Thomas Jefferson, Rutgers, Rochester, Loma Linda - anyone with any knowledge of how these stand as mid-tier programs (particularly as university programs?

Sorry for the multiple programs listed - but I think there will be others in the forum eventually looking for answers/recs to these programs...Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Could you please tell me which heart failure program accepted you without prior cardiology fellowship
And how to find similar positions

Not to disappoint anyone....
Applied last year and did not get any interviews and not applying this year.
My profile: H1, 99s in steps, solid research and case presentations; 15 posters with 3 oral, 2 national awards for research, 1 publication, best outgoing resident, atleast 3 good letters and 1 formal one. Applied to about 100 programs....0 interviews.
I am not interested in going through that pain anymore.
I am happy with my 300K as a hospitalist.

Although I've looked a few things up, does anyone have any personal experience about the actual reputation of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center as a cardiology fellowship program (compared to other programs not only in Boston but particularly to University-Based programs)?

Also, similarly for the Kaiser programs in California, although not university-based, what is the general reputation of their program?

Thanks!

First tier academic program with very solid clinical training (more solid than MGH/BWH comparing other Harvard programs)

Hi folks. Applicant this cycle. Nervous as hell.

I'm banging my head against the wall b/c of this, but basically my application is mostly complete and I feel like it's reasonably competitive - The only thing missing is that 2/4 of my LoRs have not been uploaded despite me politely badgering the attendings and despite assurances that it will get done prior to the deadline of the 15th. One will not get uploaded for another couple days either. Both LoRs are strong ones.

Should I just go ahead, submit tomorrow, and assign the LoRs immediately once they get uploaded? Or should I wait until at least another one is uploaded? I just don't want my app to get missed b/c it wasn't downloaded the first day... thanks in advance guys for your help.

I'm banging my head against the wall b/c of this, but basically my application is mostly complete and I feel like it's reasonably competitive - The only thing missing is that 2/4 of my LoRs have not been uploaded despite me politely badgering the attendings and despite assurances that it will get done prior to the deadline of the 15th. One will not get uploaded for another couple days either. Both LoRs are strong ones.

Should I just go ahead, submit tomorrow, and assign the LoRs immediately once they get uploaded? Or should I wait until at least another one is uploaded? I just don't want my app to get missed b/c it wasn't downloaded the first day... thanks in advance guys for your help.

Hi,
I'm applying as well (pretty clear to what specialty) and I wanted to ask you. You have 2/4 LoRs uploaded. How long did it take for ERAS to upload them to the system? Was it 5 business days? I got one uploaded on monday and the other 3 uploaded on tuesday. Does that mean that they will be verified/uploaded to the system on Friday/Monday??

Thanks and good luck (everyone)!

Depends on how much the letter adds to your application I think - but I'll defer to others for a more informed answer though.

Last edited:
Depends on how much the letter adds to your application I think - but I'll defer to others for a more informed answer though.

Apply Now, Assign the remaining letters later. This question comes up every year and that always seems to be the answer. I had the same question and I went through the last two application cycle threads.

Hi,
I'm applying as well (pretty clear to what specialty) and I wanted to ask you. You have 2/4 LoRs uploaded. How long did it take for ERAS to upload them to the system? Was it 5 business days? I got one uploaded on monday and the other 3 uploaded on tuesday. Does that mean that they will be verified/uploaded to the system on Friday/Monday??

Thanks and good luck (everyone)!

Current wait seems to be about 2-3 days. A month ago it was hours.

Current wait seems to be about 2-3 days. A month ago it was hours.

Great! Just got one of my LoR verified from Monday, so the rest of my LoRs should come in tomorrow! Debating whether I should submit now with 1/4LoR or wait until tomorrow when I should get all of my LoRs in the system.

Great! Just got one of my LoR verified from Monday, so the rest of my LoRs should come in tomorrow! Debating whether I should submit now with 1/4LoR or wait until tomorrow when I should get all of my LoRs in the system.

This was answered above. Submit now, and assign LOR later.

Hi Docs
How can track documents like we did during app for residency? I think they have different format this year