Official 2015-2016 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also couldn't find a website for the Mt. Sinai St Luke's - Bronx-Lebanon fellowship program. I was able to find a website to the Bronx-Lebanon Hospital but not affiliated with Mt. Sinai and no information on CV fellowship program.

Bronx-leb used to have an affiliation with Monti but as of this year they are affiliated to mount sinai.
They have created a new program were fellows rotate both at Bronx-leb and ST. Lukes. almost 50-50.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please provide reviews regarding the following programs?
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Louisville
- University of Iowa
- SUNY Downstate
- St Lukes in New York
- University of Florida in Jacksonville
- Georgia Regents University

How should they be ranked?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Impella. That clears things up regarding the Bronx-Lebanon Hospital program.

Anyone knows anything regarding the Cooper Camden program? There was some old post regarding the fellow left in 2011/2012 but otherwise not much information. Thanks!

Anyone have info re: UIC and Rush in Chicago? Worthwhile keeping the interview? Thinking about canceling.

Can someone please provide reviews regarding the following programs?
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Louisville
- University of Iowa
- SUNY Downstate
- St Lukes in New York
- University of Florida in Jacksonville
- Georgia Regents University

How should they be ranked?

Thank you very much!
Georgia regents I personally think last and I say this bc Emory is in Atlanta and musc in in Carolina then you have univ of FLA to the south. My point is I feel like you'll get nothing but bread and butter chest pain rule out in a program without an interventional fellowship. Yes you may get more experience but if there isn't a fellowship you aren't getting A. The numbers nor the interesting cases bc they go to the other above mentioned programs. Univ Jacksonville similar thoughts but personal better program and city. Iowa solid as well as Cincinnati. Not sure if the others

Hi everyone - long time lurker thanking you for the thoughtful feedback over the years.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with insight about the following programs: U Louisvile, U Wisconsin, U Rochester, U Cincinnati and St. Vincent's Indianapolis.

I'm looking for good clinical training, strong potential for a career in academia and a reasonably vibrant city. I've had similarly wonderful experiences during my interviews there and would appreciate a fresh perspective. Thank you!

Last edited:
At this point you should listen to your heart!
After almost being done with this season, whats the estimate of the # of interviews that pretty much guarantees a match?

At this point you should listen to your heart!
After almost being done with this season, whats the estimate of the # of interviews that pretty much guarantees a match?

My understanding is that there is no "official" number that guarantees a match but your chances are quite good if you interviewed >8 programs.

My understanding is that there is no "official" number that guarantees a match but your chances are quite good if you interviewed >8 programs.
The last Charting Outcomes available for the MSMP is from 2011 so take the data for what it's worth, but based on that year, there's a 90% chance of matching for US grads with 8 ranks.

Why is cards forum the quietest? Just wondering if everyone is busy with the interviews. Anyhows what's the general opinion when should one ask someone from your program to call your top choice place?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is cards forum the quietest? Just wondering if everyone is busy with the interviews. Anyhows what's the general opinion when should one ask someone from your program to call your top choice place?
I think the sooner the better. Early genuine interest and advocacy is a good thing

Reactions: 1 user
good luck everyone

Last edited:
So does anyone have comments about the Houston programs? In particular, UT, Baylor, and Methodist. thanks

So does anyone have comments about the Houston programs? In particular, UT, Baylor, and Methodist. thanks

THI >>> BCM > UT = Methodist

Last edited:
Any specifics? Why is UT so low on the list? I heard it was a solid clinical program

It is a solid clinical program, but your standard academic program. THI is in a league of it's own in Houston (and the country). BCM is probably the strongest out of BCM, UT, and Methodist.

I am having difficulties ranking: Tulane, USF-Tampa, UT-San Antonio. Please help me.

can't comment on UT-Houston, but take the above post with a grain of salt since he matched at THI
The reason I ask specifically about UT, is that there have some posts in the past about it being borderline malignant. It didn't seem like that on the IV day. Fellows said that first year was tough but then got a lighter 2-3rd years. There are a good amount of FMG's, so I'm not sure what to make of that

Just wondering when we might start getting phone calls from programs...last year it looked like things picked up at the end of October/beginning of November. I haven't heard anything yet...

Just wondering when we might start getting phone calls from programs...last year it looked like things picked up at the end of October/beginning of November. I haven't heard anything yet...

Is it common to receive phone calls from programs that rank you to match? Two programs emailed me a few days after the interview, one was personal and one seemed pretty generic.

Hi everyone - long time lurker thanking you for the thoughtful feedback over the years.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with insight about the following programs: U Louisvile, U Wisconsin, U Rochester, U Cincinnati and St. Vincent's Indianapolis.

I'm looking for good clinical training, strong potential for a career in academia and a reasonably vibrant city. I've had similarly wonderful experiences during my interviews there and would appreciate a fresh perspective. Thank you!

From my interview experience, U Cincinnati > U Rochester > U Wisconsin. Although I think their reputations are the opposite?

St. Vincent's seemed like the Cleveland Clinic of community programs, but not much scope for academia. No idea about Louisville, sorry. Good luck.

Is it common to receive phone calls from programs that rank you to match? Two programs emailed me a few days after the interview, one was personal and one seemed pretty generic.

You can receive phone calls the next few weeks but it's usually from programs that are ranking you high to let you know they like you.

You can receive phone calls the next few weeks but it's usually from programs that are ranking you high to let you know they like you.

Or they can also send you an email.

How about SUNY Upstate in Syracuse vs. Saint Vincent in Worcester vs. ECU/Vidant in Greenville

Please help me rank USF (Tampa), Aurora (Milwaukee), U of Arizona (Tuscon), U of, Conn (Farmington), Christiana care, St. Elizabeth's (Boston) and Creighton. With reasoning if possible. Thanks. Looking for strong clinical program with research opportunities.

From my experience I like Miami, Ohio state Jacksonville aurora lsu... last usf just bc program director was an A hole and I heard USF is In financial troubles... Can anyone confirm??

USF PD isn't the friendliest person for sure. I don't think they are in any financial troubles as Tampa General ranks in the top 25 of most grossing non-profit hospitals.

Does anyone have insight about Montefiore's two programs, the "Core" vs the "Network" program. Is the "Network" program treated like the OTHER program or since the loss of Bronx-Lebanon to Mount Sinai is it essentially the same program and everyone is treated the same?
Also does anyone have Pros/Cons when comparing NSUH-LIJ to Stony Brook and how they should be ranked?

From my experience, UConn Farmington seemed to have solid clinical training. Fellows work too hard - no dedicated residents in CCU or tele floor. The PD has an excellent background and seemed earnest about fellow education.

ECU was a pleasant surprise - apart from transplant and vads, they seemed to have everything else. Location is the biggest deterrent, but fellows seemed happy and supported by the program.

Friend at Jacksonville loves the program and is very happy there: strong clinical training, excellent didactics, supportive program. No personal experience, however.

Hey guys, any views about Mayo clinic Arizona and university of Vermont. Any help would be appreciated.

What would you choose between UAMS and UT memphis and why?

any thoughts on carilion clinic (Roanoke, VA) vs UConn Farmington?

USF PD isn't the friendliest person for sure. I don't think they are in any financial troubles as Tampa General ranks in the top 25 of most grossing non-profit hospitals.

Hey, saw a post from you that were inquiring about UT San Antonio, wondering what you heard about it?

How would you rank the following and why: U of Buffalo, UNC, WHC/Georgetown, UCLA Harbor, USF Tampa, Penn St

cincinnati vs ohio state vs uni of kentucky . any comments on these 3

Thanks for the response.

Why is everyone quiet? Done with the interviews? Ranking?

Now sit back and relax.

Good luck to us. Hope we match at where we want to be.

Any thoughts on Mt. Sinai Clinical? Enjoyed the interview day, and find it to be a good combination between academic and city hospitals. Anyone have other thoughts?

How would you rank the following and why: U of Buffalo, UNC, WHC/Georgetown, UCLA Harbor, USF Tampa, Penn St

What a random interview cycle you got Georgetown penn and ucla are awesome, the others are so random in comparison

Hoping to relocate to the NYC area next year, any input about the "less academic" programs would be a big help: BI, NSLIJ, St. Lukes and Lenox. How do these programs compare to each other? Any thoughts?

Hey, saw a post from you that were inquiring about UT San Antonio, wondering what you heard about it?

My experience at UT San Antonio is fairly positive. The PD is quite genuine and approachable. I also felt the same way about most of the faculty. University Hospital is quite nice. The VA there wasn't so bad either. Most of my contact with the fellows was during lunch but there was also faculty there so couldn't ask more of the so call negative questions. I didn't get an outsider prospective either as the fellows I spoke to all did residency there. They did have some structural experience, staff who are trained in cardiac CT/MRI, and there is also a very nice EP staff that trained at Mayo.

Weakness I thought include heart failure with limited rotations but you supposively could get more at Methodist next door. No advance imaging fellowship. I did not like the Q3 call when on the CCU rotation (though there are separate fellows for CCU and inpatient consults). Working at the VA can be a positive or negative. Limited experience working in the private setting. San Antonio isn't the best of cities to live in but it's affordable and is close to Austin.

What a random interview cycle you got Georgetown penn and ucla are awesome, the others are so random in comparison

Or maybe, just maybe, there's strengths about institutions which go beyond just whether they have a "name"? Hershey for example is a great place if you want to become an expert in major circulatory support. Having myself interviewed at some of those "random" programs I thought they were pretty decent

any thoughts on carilion clinic (Roanoke, VA) vs UConn Farmington?

Adding UT Memphis, Drexel, Newark Beth Israel and Vidant/ECU to that pot. How would you rank any or all (won't bug you for explanations)?

From my interview experience, U Cincinnati > U Rochester > U Wisconsin. Although I think their reputations are the opposite?

St. Vincent's seemed like the Cleveland Clinic of community programs, but not much scope for academia. No idea about Louisville, sorry. Good luck.

Hey thanks! Haha Cleveland clinic of community programs. That's a good description.