Official 2015-2016 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who got interviews!
1) Baylor Houston- 7/17
2) U Kentucky- 7/24

Congratulations abcd789 ! Updated list below:

AMGs

1) Baylor (Houston) 7/17-this was for internal candidates
2) Yale: 7/22
3) Brown: 7/24
4) U Kentucky: 7/24

IMGs not requiring visa

IMGs requiring visa

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! Best of luck to everyone applying this year.
My question goes out to the folks who've been through the match process or know about the candidate selection process. I'm curious to know to what degree would an attempt in the CS exam would affect an application for fellowship? I had a mishap, due to feeling unwell during the exam and did not do very well, I gave it again a week after the result and passed with stars in all the categories and was able to match in a good residency program. Now match time comes around again and am worried this will look bad on my application. I hope it doesn't have too much bearing, as by now one would think successfully completing a three year residency is a better judge than a one day CS exam, but then again Cardiology is very competitive and hence I'm kind of anxious. Let me know if anyone has any insight / heard from PDs about this. I hope everyone here gets to where they are aiming.

Hello all! Best of luck to everyone applying this year.
My question goes out to the folks who've been through the match process or know about the candidate selection process. I'm curious to know to what degree would an attempt in the CS exam would affect an application for fellowship? I had a mishap, due to feeling unwell during the exam and did not do very well, I gave it again a week after the result and passed with stars in all the categories and was able to match in a good residency program. Now match time comes around again and am worried this will look bad on my application. I hope it doesn't have too much bearing, as by now one would think successfully completing a three year residency is a better judge than a one day CS exam, but then again Cardiology is very competitive and hence I'm kind of anxious. Let me know if anyone has any insight / heard from PDs about this. I hope everyone here gets to where they are aiming.

You'll probably just have to explain it (well) during the interview. Don't imagine you'd lose too many interviews bc of it. If there was a real problem with your patient interaction skills, I'm sure it would show up in other parts of your application by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll probably just have to explain it (well) during the interview. Don't imagine you'd lose too many interviews bc of it. If there was a real problem with your patient interaction skills, I'm sure it would show up in other parts of your application by now.

I actually disagree that this might not be an issue. Any Step failure is a red flag and it might be a problem based on what I've heard in the past. However agree that exemplary clinical performance can make up for it. Maybe email the PDs of places which you are interested in.

Greetings! I had a question regarding contacting programs to inform them about your interest in a certain geographic location. I'm currently in a mid-sized university program in a small city and would like to relocate to NYC for fellowship, where my significant other currently lives. I haven't mentioned this in my personal statement. When and how should you communicate a strong location preference to your programs of interest. Would you'll recommend that I modify my personal statement to reflect this or should I be calling/ emailing program co-ordinators or program directors about this?

Also, similarly for the Kaiser programs in California, although not university-based, what is the general reputation of their program?

Thanks!

Kaiser LA very solid for community cardiology, esp if interested in cath. They receive referrals from 10+ community kaiser affiliates so their volume for diagnostic cath and PCI is tremendous. Don't know anything about the Kaiser in the Bay Area

Greetings! I had a question regarding contacting programs to inform them about your interest in a certain geographic location. I'm currently in a mid-sized university program in a small city and would like to relocate to NYC for fellowship, where my significant other currently lives. I haven't mentioned this in my personal statement. When and how should you communicate a strong location preference to your programs of interest. Would you'll recommend that I modify my personal statement to reflect this or should I be calling/ emailing program co-ordinators or program directors about this?

I think this is something you mention in an interview setting.

I am wondering....
Any invites for IMGs?
Not to my knowledge, I think they start by the end of this week and then accelerate during the first two weeks of August, after that they usually slow down. So, bottom line it is still early buddy :)! Fingers crossed! Good luck to you and all people out there in the match process!

Hello Guys
TCT abstract results are out and I have 3 abstracts selected for poster presentation. Manuscripts of these abstracts are already under peer review at various journals which I had mentioned in my ERAS application. However, I did mention abstract submissions because; (1) I had mentioned full articles in "othen than published articles" section (2) TCT results were not out when I applied.
I submitted an abstract to AHA as well which I did put in my application for the same reason.
Should I notify the programs or just wait until the interviews (if I get any) to bring this up ?

Have any AMGs not gotten interviews yet?

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa

IMGs requiring visa

I saw that post :) What prompted me to ask if any AMGs have NOT heard back yet? I have not, and am getting a bit anxious... even though it is quite early.

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa

IMGs requiring visa

Members don't see this ad :)
It's still early. I haven't heard anything yet and I'm an AMG. Neither have most of my friends applying.

IMG
Medical College of Wisconsin-7/24

IMG
Medical College of Wisconsin-7/24
Please correct me if I choose the wrong category. Congratulations :)
AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa
1) Medical College of Wisconsin-7/24
IMGs requiring visa

I saw that post :) What prompted me to ask if any AMGs have NOT heard back yet? I have not, and am getting a bit anxious... even though it is quite early.

I would wager to say 85-90% of us AMG have not received interview invites yet (only 4 places have given out interviews so far out of the 100+ cardiology programs in the country). Keep in mind, it's still SO early in the application process and most invites go out in early August, so you're in good shape, don't worry. The people who have received interview invites already are probably people who have crazy a number of publications and are super competitive candidates in general. As for the rest of us "normal" cardiology hopefuls, I'm optimistic that our invites will come.

University of Hawaii and MCW interview

AMGs

5) University of Hawaii: 7/21
6) Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW): 7/27

IMGs not requiring visa

IMGs requiring visa

University of Hawaii and MCW interview

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa

IMGs requiring visa
Congratulations and thank you for updating the list :)

MCW today.

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa
1) Medical College of Wisconsin: 7/24

IMGs requiring visa
1)
Medical College of Wisconsin: 7/27

I didn't know there was a cardiology program in Hawaii.. wow..would be interesting to hear how good/bad it is.

any interviews today?

It's been quiet for me today...especially since I got a couple last week, this 're-quiet' period this week thus far makes me anxious ...

Last edited:
Congrats!! Would you mind sharing your credentials?

AMGs
6)Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW):7/27

IMGs not requiring visa

IMGs requiring visa
1)
2) University of Rochester: 7/24

It's been quiet for me today...especially since I got a couple last week, this 're-quiet' period this week thus far makes me anxious ...

281rlap.jpg

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
IMGs requiring visa
1)

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
IMGs requiring visa
1)

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
IMGs requiring visa
1)

Dartmouth today (7/30) ! Updated list below :

AMGs
7) Dartmouth today (7/30)

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
IMGs requiring visa
1)

As already mentioned above by m.m. - dartmouth invite today - somewhat surprised that the message didn't come via eras, but email instead...

IMG req visa. Iv from uni of Kentucky 7/30. Uni of Hawaii 7/21. Mcw 7/24

Optimistic for today. Last friday 7/24, 4 invites came out ( Mcw, Rochester, Brown, Kentucky)... soooo :) fingers crossed.

SUNY Stony Brook today 7/31 (AMG)

AMGs
7) Dartmouth (7/30)
8) SUNY Stony Brook (7/31)

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
IMGs requiring visa
1)

Columbia NYPH (7/31)

AMGs
7) Dartmouth (7/30)
9) Columbia NYPH (7/31)

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
IMGs requiring visa
1)

Not sure why cardiology forum is the quietest of all. Is it because cardiology programs send out their interviews later? As even GI forum has more interview invites than cards. And plum/crit care ppl are getting loads of interviews

It's not easy to wait, but if you look at the threads from previous years the bulk of the IV's are in mid-late August. I've been checking my e-mail every few hours, but I guess we will just have to be patient...

Columbia NYPH (7/31)

AMGs
7) Dartmouth (7/30)
9) Columbia NYPH (7/31)

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
IMGs requiring visa
1)

Congratulations ahhndrew ! Columbia is a phenomenal program !

Columbia NYPH (7/31)

AMGs
7) Dartmouth (7/30)
9) Columbia NYPH (7/31)

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
IMGs requiring visa
1)

Congrats ahhndrew, exciting indeed. Do you mind sharing your credentials with us ? I was hoping to get an interview at Columbia but unfortunately I didn't.

Not sure why cardiology forum is the quietest of all. Is it because cardiology programs send out their interviews later? As even GI forum has more interview invites than cards. And plum/crit care ppl are getting loads of interviews

More applicants, more applications

Columbia 07/31, IMG with no visa requirements

AMGs
7) Dartmouth (7/30)
9) Columbia NYPH (7/31)

IMGs not requiring visa
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17
3) Yale 7/22
4) Brown 7/24
5) Columbia NYPH 07/31

IMGs requiring visa
1)

Hoping someone who has been through this before can answer this - So my Columbia interview gave a range of dates, and they asked to rank them by preference and then they will let us know in a few weeks. Is this common, or do we typically get to pick a date?

Hoping someone who has been through this before can answer this - So my Columbia interview gave a range of dates, and they asked to rank them by preference and then they will let us know in a few weeks. Is this common, or do we typically get to pick a date?

Didn't hear from Columbia myself, but a lot of programs do this - ain't no interview broker like for residency