Official 2015-2016 Endocrinology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviews so far!!

7/16: Wash Uni
7/18: UNC
UPMC
Univ Virginia
7/19: Wash U St Louis
UPMC
7/21: Uni of Nebraska
7/23: OSU
7/27: Mayo Clinic, Brown
7/30: Uni of Vermont
Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburhg

Members don't see this ad.

Let's keep this updated guys!!!

Interviews so far!!

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford
7/27: Mayo Clinic
Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews so far!!

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford
Harbor UCLA
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA

University of florida- Jacksonville today

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford
Harbor UCLA
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA
8/3: University of florida- Jacksonville

Thought I would throw out a couple that I haven't seen yet:

BIDMC 7/21, University of Colorado 7/27, University of Michigan today

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford
BIDMC
Harbor UCLA
University of Colorado
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA
8/3: University of florida- Jacksonville
University of Michigan

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Does anyone have a list of community programs for Endocrinology? Geographical location is not a concern for me.
Thank you

Hello everyone. I have a question. How many programs did you apply to and how many interviews have you gotten so far ?

I applied to 28 programs and I have gotten 5 interviews so far. Please share your experience.

Sorry ms doc, i have no list. You can start with freida

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to 18, have 3 so far. I am geographically restricted to the midwest. I also don't have a list but agree with FREIDA.
Hi abbycornish. What programs did you apply to, and where did you get the interviews?

Hi abbycornish. What programs did you apply to, and where did you get the interviews?
I prefer not to share that online because I can already be identified by my posting history if someone wanted to, but they were all in the midwest, and all 3 interview locations have been listed in the running tally.

I prefer not to share that online because I can already be identified by my posting history if someone wanted to, but they were all in the midwest, and all 3 interview locations have been listed in the running tally.
Absolutely. I understand your concern. Thanks for sharing.

BIDMC 7/21, University of Colorado 7/27, University of Michigan
UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital
BIDMC
Harbor UCLA
University of Colorado
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA
8/3: University of Florida - Jacksonville
University of Michigan
East Virginia Medical School
Medical College of Georgia at GRU

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital
BIDMC
Harbor UCLA
University of Colorado
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA
University of Michigan
8/6 Case Western

Guys any idea when will NY and NJ programs start sending invites

Still waiting as well. What about Emory?

Emory I think has no position this year as it appears as a withdrawn program in ERAS...
I looked at NRMP and they are not listed. I already applied. We should get reimbursed by ERAS for this mistake!

Agree! Has anyone sent an email asking, by any chance?

Invites:
Dartmouth 08/04
Case Western 08/05
Rutgers RWJ 08/06

Reject:
Brigham

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital
BIDMC
Harbor UCLA
University of Colorado
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA
University of Michigan
Dartmouth 08/04
8/6 Case Western
Rutgers RWJ 08/06

1 fellow vs 2 fellow programs pros/cons any thoughts

One versus two fellows programS. I think that is a tough one. I know people who have gone to programs with only one fellow and have loved it (mayo in Jax, the one that I have heard the greatest things about). That being said, with one fellow programs I am concerned flexibility may be an issue. For example, if you want to change vacations or go to a meeting, changing your schedule may be a little bit more complicated with 1 fellow versus 2-5 fellows. Another thing that concerns me would be the on call schedule. However, I have to say the amount of fellows per program does not necessarily correlate with the number of weeks on call per year. I know of one big program, with more than three fellows per year, where fellows are on call for 26 weeks, that is half of the year. My understanding is that the program covers several hospitals. My recommendation is that you should go to every program you get an invite from. Your personal impression is the most important thing when choosing a place to do your fellowship. If your application is not superstrong and you really want to match, you should apply to one fellow programs. You never know what it will be like!

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital
BIDMC
Harbor UCLA
University of Colorado
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA
University of Michigan
Dartmouth 08/04
8/6 Case Western
Rutgers RWJ 08/06
DUKE 8/6
Maryland U 8/10

So given the unreliability of US NEWS and Reports, where could one find a solid list of the top 10 programs in the country? Is it the case where top institutions have the top programs? or is it the complete opposite (for example PM&R top programs are generally not at top institutions except Spaulding) . I tried searching, but it looks like SDN has not had a thorough discussion on it.

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital
BIDMC
Harbor UCLA
University of Colorado
John Hopkins
Drexel Uni
UCLA VA
University of Michigan
Dartmouth 08/04
8/6 Case Western
Rutgers RWJ 08/06
DUKE 8/6
Maryland U 8/10
UAB

One versus two fellows programS. I think that is a tough one. I know people who have gone to programs with only one fellow and have loved it (mayo in Jax, the one that I have heard the greatest things about). That being said, with one fellow programs I am concerned flexibility may be an issue. For example, if you want to change vacations or go to a meeting, changing your schedule may be a little bit more complicated with 1 fellow versus 2-5 fellows. Another thing that concerns me would be the on call schedule. However, I have to say the amount of fellows per program does not necessarily correlate with the number of weeks on call per year. I know of one big program, with more than three fellows per year, where fellows are on call for 26 weeks, that is half of the year. My understanding is that the program covers several hospitals. My recommendation is that you should go to every program you get an invite from. Your personal impression is the most important thing when choosing a place to do your fellowship. If your application is not superstrong and you really want to match, you should apply to one fellow programs. You never know what it will be like!
Thanks! That makes sense.

So given the unreliability of US NEWS and Reports, where could one find a solid list of the top 10 programs in the country? Is it the case where top institutions have the top programs? or is it the complete opposite (for example PM&R top programs are generally not at top institutions except Spaulding) . I tried searching, but it looks like SDN has not had a thorough discussion on it.

I think this is a valuable discussion and one that I'd be interested to see what others say about as well. One issue is that there are many subfields in endocrine and different programs have different focuses. For example, Yale is a great, strong academic program but they are really focused on diabetes. On the flipside, Columbia is world-renowned for bone and neuroendocrine. Cornell does endo onc best due to their association with MSK. MGH is a huge program and does everything well, but it is largely a research-based program whereas even in Boston BIDMC offers a much more diabetes-focused program thanks to their association with Joslin. So it's hard to say.

I don't know the west coast programs as well.

I would say just from "reputation" alone I would put MGH, Hopkins and possibly Mayo at the very top, followed in the next tier by Columbia, UPenn, Brigham, BIDMC.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is a valuable discussion and one that I'd be interested to see what others say about as well. One issue is that there are many subfields in endocrine and different programs have different focuses. For example, Yale is a great, strong academic program but they are really focused on diabetes. On the flipside, Columbia is world-renowned for bone and neuroendocrine. Cornell does endo onc best due to their association with MSK. MGH is a huge program and does everything well, but it is largely a research-based program whereas even in Boston BIDMC offers a much more diabetes-focused program thanks to their association with Joslin. So it's hard to say.

I would say just from "reputation" alone I would put MGH, Hopkins and possibly Mayo at the very top, followed in the next tier by Columbia, UPenn, Brigham, BIDMC.
Interesting ! Great post. What about value for trainee ? Both Mayo and BWH offer master degrees in translational research while MGH doesn't.

Last edited:
I found this one interesting.

Attachments

• Fellowship_Guide.doc
    803.5 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: 1 user
Got Pitt yesterday so looks like some programs are sending out 2nd waves of IV invites

I do not think Your ivs are part of the second wave... Have u guys heard from texas (ut houston and baylor) or philly programs?

I would add the Cleveland clinic at the very top!

Updated with a some other invites I've gotten the past week.

UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital
BIDMC
Harbor UCLA