Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLN0128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go~~

Members don't see this ad.

hospitalist for 3 years, one publication maybe in the next few months.
what are my chances?
I have good to excellent LOR

Reactions: 1 user
Which "top 40" programs have dedicated fellows clinic or where they act as the primary oncologist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which "top 40" programs have dedicated fellows clinic or where they act as the primary oncologist?

1. MD Anderson CC
2. Memorial Sloan Kettering CC
3. Mayo Clinic Rochester
4. Johns Hopkins
5. BWH/MGH/Dana Farber
6. UCSF
7. UW Fred Hutchinson
8. Mofitt CC
9. NIH/NCI
10. UPMC
11. Emory
12. OSU
13. Cornell
14. Columbia
15. UPENN
16. Cleveland
17. BIDMC
18. Vanderbilt
19. Washington Univ.
20. Duke
21. Yale
22. Dartmerth
23. UCLA
24. Stanford
25. Michigan AA
26. Univ. of Chicago
27. Thomas Jefferson
28. Univ. of Maryland

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
hospitalist for 3 years, one publication maybe in the next few months.
what are my chances?
I have good to excellent LOR

Same here, almost exactly, I think it is hard to get multiple interviews, but again, we all still have other factors like the step scores, and if you know any people in the program that might help you to get interview, and remember: you only need one interview to get the match, some times one is enough!. we all have the story where friends got more than ten interviews but they got rejected, it is about your passionate and personal interaction during the interview

Keep yourself updated:
Tokens for the ERAS Fellowships 2016 application season will be available on Tuesday, June 09, 2015.

Hi Gutonc, Thank you for your wishes.
I am a newbie here and would really appreciate your advice, below are my credentials:

Negatives:
1- IMG.
2- J1 visa holder.
3- No PHD or major Basic research experience.
4- Few non oncology related peer reviewed publications

Positives:
-PGY2 in a 2nd tier university program
-Step 1,2,3: 232,247,235
-MPH estimated completion in 06/2016
- 3 strong LOR from research mentor and 2 oncology big names
- PD LOR: pending meeting
-ASH HONORS award: 7,000 $ grant
- Best abstract award + 2 scholarships awards
- 6 First author peer reviewed manuscripts ( IF between 1,6 to 6,5)
- 3 abstracts/posters at national ASCO
- 2 First author Book chapters (MPN/MDS)
- Was involved in phase 2-3 trials (study coordinator)

No geographical restrictions (prefer the warmth of the south)
Interested in clinical investigator track
Research interest: AML, GU, outcome research.

1- Advice regarding meeting with PD of internal medicine: Should I ask for their support with phone calls to specific prog. of interest?
2- I have a feeling that the first round of invited interviewee selection is extremely random: Any advice? Should I email specific program coordinators of interest?
3- Advice on PS: do I specify a tumor type of interest
4- I know its a vague request: would you recommend any institutions that would match my interest/profile (as an j1 visa holder) to optimize my career development
5- Would you or anyone else for a list of academic institutions that offer H1 waiver for their fellows as junior faculty ?

Please excuse the long post :)
thanks

1. MD Anderson CC
2. Memorial Sloan Kettering CC
3. Mayo Clinic Rochester
4. Johns Hopkins
5. BWH/MGH/Dana Farber
6. UCSF
7. UW Fred Hutchinson
8. Mofitt CC
9. NIH/NCI
10. UPMC
11. Emory
12. OSU

13. Cornell
14. Columbia
15. UPENN
16. Cleveland
17. BIDMC
18. Vanderbilt
19. Washington Univ.
20. Duke
21. Yale
22. Dartmerth
23. UCLA
24. Stanford
25. Michigan AA
26. Univ. of Chicago
27. Thomas Jefferson
28. Univ. of Maryland

what is this list from? what was used to rank these?

I am a newbie here and would really appreciate your advice, below are my credentials:

Negatives:
1- IMG.
2- J1 visa holder.

Positives:
- Best abstract award + 2 scholarships awards
- 6 First author peer reviewed manuscripts ( IF between 1,6 to 6,5)
- 3 abstracts/posters at national ASCO
- 2 First author Book chapters (MPN/MDS)
- Was involved in phase 2-3 trials (study coordinator)

No geographical restrictions (prefer the warmth of the south)
Interested in clinical investigator track
Research interest: AML, GU, outcome research.

1- Advice regarding meeting with PD of internal medicine: Should I ask for their support with phone calls to specific prog. of interest?
2- I have a feeling that the first round of invited interviewee selection is extremely random: Any advice? Should I email specific program coordinators of interest?
4- I know its a vague request: would you recommend any institutions that would match my interest/profile (as an j1 visa holder) to optimize my career development
5- Would you or anyone else for a list of academic institutions that offer H1 waiver for their fellows as junior faculty ?

Please excuse the long post :)
thanks

Can I ask the exact name of ASH HONORS award?

Hii MLN0128
That is the exact name of the award.

Negatives:
1- IMG.
2- J1 visa holder.

Positives:
- :)
thanks

your stats are great, you'll obviously be able to match...unless you're a sociopath or a terrible interviewee

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi gutonc or any of the senior forum members, any advice regarding the below questions would be much appreciated:
4- I know its a vague request: would you recommend any institutions that would match my interest/profile (as an j1 visa holder) to optimize my career development ?
5- Would you or anyone else have a list of academic institutions that offer H1 waiver for their fellows as junior faculty ?

Thank you.

1- Depends on your relationship with PD. And if they are liked and who they are calling. I think generally the call from the PD doesnt do much... generally
2- First round is misnomerish because a lot of places are rolling interviews.. Just get your app in the first day possible
3 - Only if you def know what you want to do otherwise leave it open to offend less people
No idea 4 or 5

Hello everyone! Apply broadly to reaches and to what you feel are safety programs. The process is somewhat random with a hint of logic. Programs that you think are amazing in paper will hypo-impress you in person. This is a fun process but don't stress it (like I did).

I'm working on MyERAS and cannot find place to put award or honor. Help me!

Hi Guys
I will apply mainly to hem/onc and 2 other fellowships as a back up. How can I ask my program director to write me multiple letter of recommendations addressed to each specialty? thank you and good luck to all.

Hi Guys
I will apply mainly to hem/onc and 2 other fellowships as a back up. How can I ask my program director to write me multiple letter of recommendations addressed to each specialty? thank you and good luck to all.
That is his job actually, lots of residents do that as well, PD used to it all the time!.

Hi Guys
Why are you applying to 2 backup specialties? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Why are you applying to 2 backup specialties? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
because I applied twice to hem/onc and didn't match. I am afraid that if I don't match this year I will be a hospitalist forever (I am getting old). so I will apply to nephrology and Rheumatology but I don't want to undermine my application to hem/onc buy asking for a general LOR from PD. I am lost and need some help.
Thank you Gutnoc

because I applied twice to hem/onc and didn't match. I am afraid that if I don't match this year I will be a hospitalist forever (I am getting old). so I will apply to nephrology and Rheumatology but I don't want to undermine my application to hem/onc buy asking for a general LOR from PD. I am lost and need some help.
Thank you Gutnoc
Any idea why you haven't matched after 2 attempts? Like do you think it might be because the PD isn't writing a strong LOR for you? Or maybe you're not able to apply widely enough? Applying to reach programs? Etc.

Any idea why you haven't matched after 2 attempts? Like do you think it might be because the PD isn't writing a strong LOR for you? Or maybe you're not able to apply widely enough? Applying to reach programs? Etc.

I believe I didn't match for 4 weak points:

1-I have no publications (currently I am working on one project)

2- and because I didn't have any research experience or publications I was advised to mention in my PS that I wanted to be a community oncologist, so I don't seem lying ( I like academia but didn't have a chance to do research)

3- I did a one year research in cardiology in my residency back home ( I had no say in choosing the project). not sure if this was a weak or strong point. should I mention it?

4- I am 38 year old and have been a hospitalist for 3 years.

I am an IMG, Green card holder, scores 257, 243, 223,
in-service exams, 99/95 percentiles ( should I report it somewhere in the application?)
I have good LORs.
did 3 hem/onc electives in an ambulatory office in residency

Should I get a LOR from the internal medicine chief at my current hospitalist program? He will write me a very good one?

Sorry for the lengthy post
Thank you very much in advance.

I could be wrong but I doubt the age hurt you. Anecdotally I know of a couple of >40 year olds who matched into hem/onc.

I suspect the main factor would be your IMG status, unfortunately. :( Does your home program or current program where you're a hospitalist (if different) have its own hem/onc fellowship? That'd be your best bet, I think.

Also the lack of research in hem/onc probably hurt since most IMGs seem to have tons of research. But you can make up for this by doing research and publishing. Since you are interested in academics, it wouldn't be a lie to say you're interested in research/academics, so I would say you are, but you do need to publish and then say you are interested so you have evidence or proof you are interested.

Do we need PTAL for programs in California? If yes, how long does it take to get that from application?

Anyone know much about these programs in regards to solid tumor training and clinical research career (academic and/or industry)? You can tier them if you want.

Univ. of Maryland, Emory, BIDMC, Jefferson, Wisconsin, CASE, Baylor, Georgetown

Anyone know much about these programs in regards to solid tumor training and clinical research career (academic and/or industry)? You can tier them if you want.

Univ. of Maryland, Emory, BIDMC, Jefferson, Wisconsin, CASE, Baylor, Georgetown
Tiering those programs is easy. All essentially the same.

Hi All!

I am applying to adult hem onc with a significant amount of work in organized medicine and in a med/peds residency. Med/Peds was a busy residency with no assigned research time, just what I was able to do on easy rotations. My first research project that I just completed was in Pediatric Cardiology (originally thought I wanted to do adult congenital cardiology), but I am now actively doing research in hematology. I have several posters and presentations that I have done in residency. Will this negatively affect me as I apply given minimal research? I was going to apply to a scattering of top tier and middle tier programs.

Also, I am interested in a program that has an adult pediatric cancer survivorship program (meaning adults who have survived pediatric cancers). I know most of these programs are run by pediatric oncologists, but I think many of the problems facing these survivors are better managed by adult medicine physicians, such as heart failure and secondary cancers. If anyone out there has come across a program that has something like this, I haven't been able to find this.

Thanks!

Hi All!

I am applying to adult hem onc with a significant amount of work in organized medicine and in a med/peds residency. Med/Peds was a busy residency with no assigned research time, just what I was able to do on easy rotations. My first research project that I just completed was in Pediatric Cardiology (originally thought I wanted to do adult congenital cardiology), but I am now actively doing research in hematology. I have several posters and presentations that I have done in residency. Will this negatively affect me as I apply given minimal research? I was going to apply to a scattering of top tier and middle tier programs.

Also, I am interested in a program that has an adult pediatric cancer survivorship program (meaning adults who have survived pediatric cancers). I know most of these programs are run by pediatric oncologists, but I think many of the problems facing these survivors are better managed by adult medicine physicians, such as heart failure and secondary cancers. If anyone out there has come across a program that has something like this, I haven't been able to find this.

Thanks!

I saw a lecture last year at the Ultmann Symposium in Chicago that sounds similar to your goals. Google - Dr. Tara Henderson at UChicago. You may find her research interesting and in line with what you are looking for. Hope that helps!

Abstracts and Posters and Research Experience. Do we list the same project three times? For example, I worked on a lung cancer retrospective research project. I presented this as a poster at a conference, which was then included in their supplementary journal. On my ERAS, do I list the project as a research experience, a poster presentation, and an peer reviewed abstract? Is that triple dipping?

I apologize. I know this has been asked before, but I see mixed replies on my search.

Abstracts and Posters and Research Experience. Do we list the same project three times? For example, I worked on a lung cancer retrospective research project. I presented this as a poster at a conference, which was then included in their supplementary journal. On my ERAS, do I list the project as a research experience, a poster presentation, and an peer reviewed abstract? Is that triple dipping?

I apologize. I know this has been asked before, but I see mixed replies on my search.
Put it in research experience and in the posters section.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
I am board certified in Hospice and Palliative medicine. Please can you tell me where to put that in ERAS application?
It just gives an option of yes/no for board certification (ABIM) but I think mentioning it would be important.
Thanks!

I am J1- requiring IMG with following credentials:

Graduate 2011
Residency IM 2013-2016 University affiliated Community program
USMLE 240/240/215
4 strong LORs
4 heme Onc rotations at home institute (including one BMT rotation)
2 outside elective rotations (as a resident and as a medical student)
10 posters (One presented at ACP national),
5 published case reports (3 as first author),
One published Book chapter(2nd author),
One published retrospective study (3rd author),
One online non peer reviewed review article (1st auhtor),
One peer reviewed review article in submission (1st author)
One quality improvement project in submission(1st author)
Two ongoing research projects (likely completion before graduation)

I am looking for a mid tier program where i can get good training to practice benign and malignant hematology in a private (hospital and office based) setting.

I am concerned my being a visa requiring IMG coming from a community program will hit me hard. I did not have any previous experience of research and found it difficult to spare time for research during residency.

Any suggestions, tips or feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I saw a lecture last year at the Ultmann Symposium in Chicago that sounds similar to your goals. Google - Dr. Tara Henderson at UChicago. You may find her research interesting and in line with what you are looking for. Hope that helps!
Thanks! I reached out to her and found out more about the Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Clinics, which seems to be a nice collaborative effort between adult and pediatric oncologists.

Thanks! I reached out to her and found out more about the Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Clinics, which seems to be a nice collaborative effort between adult and pediatric oncologists.
FWIW, my program (OHSU) has one of the few formal AYA Oncology Fellowship programs out there and has one of the first (only?) Adult Survivorship clinics run out of the adult side of Hem/Onc for survivors of pediatric cancer.

This may sound silly, but I really have no idea how many programs to apply to.

I am an IMG and on a J1 visa, current resident at a university hospital, have >10 pubs and posters but mostly case reports and review articles. One research project that is complete, and one that is ongoing. Not really sure if I prefer hem vs. onc. No geographic preferences.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
This may sound silly, but I really have no idea how many programs to apply to.

I am an IMG and on a J1 visa, current resident at a university hospital, have >10 pubs and posters but mostly case reports and review articles. One research project that is complete, and one that is ongoing. Not really sure if I prefer hem vs. onc. No geographic preferences.

Any thoughts?
Just my opinion: I'd say apply to as many as you can reasonably afford.

Although as you probably know, heme/onc usually go together. Not sure if you want to limit yourself by applying to onc-only programs? I'd again personally say apply to both heme/onc and separate heme-only and onc-only programs. Just as many as you can reasonably afford since there seem to be few guarantees for IMGs unfortunately. (To be fair I don't know anything about J1 visas or any other visas, so not sure if it's less of a problem for fellowships being on a J1 visa vs. other types of visas? No idea. Sorry.)

Just my opinion: I'd say apply to as many as you can reasonably afford.

Although as you probably know, heme/onc usually go together. Not sure if you want to limit yourself by applying to onc-only programs? I'd again personally say apply to both heme/onc and separate heme-only and onc-only programs. Just as many as you can reasonably afford since there seem to be few guarantees for IMGs unfortunately. (To be fair I don't know anything about J1 visas or any other visas, so not sure if it's less of a problem for fellowships being on a J1 visa vs. other types of visas? No idea. Sorry.)

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I did for residency. Just thought maybe I can have the luxury to choose fewer programs this time around, but it doesn't seem like it..

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I did for residency. Just thought maybe I can have the luxury to choose fewer programs this time around, but it doesn't seem like it..
Although please don't take my word for it! :) Hopefully others like @gutonc or @RustBeltOnc will weigh in with their far more intelligent and informed opinion.

Hi. I'm currently working on my application. Does anyone know how I should classify my 2015 Annual ASCO meeting abstract that was not presented but was only published online? It's citation is technically in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. Peer reviewed journal? Or peer reviewed online publication?

Hi. I'm currently working on my application. Does anyone know how I should classify my 2015 Annual ASCO meeting abstract that was not presented but was only published online? It's citation is technically in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. Peer reviewed journal? Or peer reviewed online publication?

Not entirely sure, but probably as an online publication.

Let me see if I have this straight. You submitted an abstract to ASCO, it was accepted, presumably as a poster. You didn't actually present the poster there, but since your abstract was accepted, it got published in the worthless supplement that nobody reads.

Did I get that right?

The kind help of the seniors on the forum is much appreciated,
My top LOR writer might be late for the deadline due to medical reasons.
If I submit my application on July 15th with 3 different LORs and upload his LOR later would it be looked at as the 4th LOR and be discarded by most of the programs,as the majority of programs only request 3 LORs ?
Would submitting the application with only 2 LORs and wait for him to upload his LOR as the third LOR be better ?
Thanks for the advice guys

The kind help of the seniors on the forum is much appreciated,
My top LOR writer might be late for the deadline due to medical reasons.
If I submit my application on July 15th with 3 different LORs and upload his LOR later would it be looked at as the 4th LOR and be discarded by most of the programs,as the majority of programs only request 3 LORs ?
Would submitting the application with only 2 LORs and wait for him to upload his LOR as the third LOR be better ?
Thanks for the advice guys
Define "late" and "deadline".

Define "late" and "deadline".

The deadline is the time after which uploaded letters of recommendation cannot be used on July 15th because they have not been "released" yet. And late is anytime after the arbitrary deadline, which to most of us is as early as possible after receiving the "token".

Most of us, and by most of us I mean all of us, would like to submit the full application when the season opens..

Let me see if I have this straight. You submitted an abstract to ASCO, it was accepted, presumably as a poster. You didn't actually present the poster there, but since your abstract was accepted, it got published in the worthless supplement that nobody reads.

Did I get that right?

ASCO did not accept it as a poster, only as online publication in that supplement.

https://am.asco.org/abstract-submission-and-session-statistics

Hi Senior members,
I have a quick question. I am currently working as an academic faculty in a big university and I graduated from a community based residency program 3 years back. Regarding the LOR, should I upload a LOR from my PD whom I worked with 3 years back or use LORs from my current senior colleagues (like professors). If some one is an old graduate from residency like me, how much it is important to have a letter from PD in the application process?

Hi Senior members,
I have a quick question. I am currently working as an academic faculty in a big university and I graduated from a community based residency program 3 years back. Regarding the LOR, should I upload a LOR from my PD whom I worked with 3 years back or use LORs from my current senior colleagues (like professors). If some one is an old graduate from residency like me, how much it is important to have a letter from PD in the application process?
It's still important. Your PD LOR is a mix of the Chair's Letter and MSPE that you had for residency apps. You could apply without it, but it's absence will be noted, and not in a good way.