Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From : NRMP code of conduct http://www.nrmp.org/code-of-conduct/

"
  • Refraining from asking illegal or coercive questions Program directors shall recognize the negative consequences that can result from questions about age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and family status, and shall ensure that communication with applicants remains focused on the applicant’s goodness of fit within their programs.
  • Declining to require second visits or visiting rotations Program directors shall respect the logistical and financial burden many applicants face in pursuing multiple interactions with programs and shall not require them or imply that second visits are used in determining applicant placement on a rank order list.
  • Discouraging unnecessary post-interview communication: Program directors shall not solicit or require post-interview communication from applicants, nor shall program directors engage in post-interview communication that is disingenuous for the purpose of influencing applicants’ ranking preferences.
  • "

Members don't see this ad.

From : NRMP code of conduct http://www.nrmp.org/code-of-conduct/

"
  • Refraining from asking illegal or coercive questions Program directors shall recognize the negative consequences that can result from questions about age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and family status, and shall ensure that communication with applicants remains focused on the applicant’s goodness of fit within their programs.
  • Declining to require second visits or visiting rotations Program directors shall respect the logistical and financial burden many applicants face in pursuing multiple interactions with programs and shall not require them or imply that second visits are used in determining applicant placement on a rank order list.
  • Discouraging unnecessary post-interview communication: Program directors shall not solicit or require post-interview communication from applicants, nor shall program directors engage in post-interview communication that is disingenuous for the purpose of influencing applicants’ ranking preferences.
  • "

Unfortunately, until this practice is phased out, many faculty members may still expect a "thank you note". I literally send a "thank you email" with 2 lines without any mention of favoritism.

I think at the end of the day, it's a waste of time.

Orlando Regional Medical Center: The weirdest program. They interview one candidate per day (if I had known, I would not have applied there). You are put in a room where EIGHT people come and interview you one by one. In between, you are just sitting there doing nothing (its 8 hours for cryin out loud!). There is no one else to talk to. The PD and coordinator is really nice, but its such a weird environment. The PD told me that each one of them would rank me and WILL GIVE HIM A NUMBER...he will add all 8 numbers...the smaller the number, the higher I will be in their rank order list. I probably won't even rank that program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NIH/NHLBI/NCI: They are combining into one program this coming July. Excellent research opportunities with in-built funding. But so-so clinical training. They know they are weak clinically and hence were trying to make a sales pitch during the whole interview. But overall, excellent place to launch an academic career but you have to be really sure this is what you really want as it will be difficult to successfully do private practice at least initially. Overall, I did not see it as a good fit for me but may work for others. On a side note, I have to mention that one of the interviewers did not even know the position she was interviewing for, forget about reading my application and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: 1 users
University of Kentucky: underrated and overlooked. Very strong clinically. Can be tailored to the trainees goals after fellowship (academics vs. private practice). Rotations at the university hospital and the VA. Continuity clinic is fellow-run at VA.

Last edited:
Emory: it is definitely an overrated program. Fellows did not seem to be very happy there and felt like the clinical load was too much. Although they do give protected research time, I got a feeling that even though it's "Emory", fellows had difficulty finding good projects to work on with good mentoring. I guess in part this is because I expected more out of Emory than I actually got.

Reactions: 1 users
Good to learn more about UK and NIH. My upcoming interviews!

Emory: it is definitely an overrated program. Fellows did not seem to be very happy there and felt like the clinical load was too much. Although they do give protected research time, I got a feeling that even though it's "Emory", fellows had difficulty finding good projects to work on with good mentoring. I guess in part this is because I expected more out of Emory than I actually got.
Their first-year inpatient load seems to be one of the most intense ones I've seen thus far

Last edited:
I wonder if there's some way to find out how many people each place is interviewing? Anyone with insight on this? I can start. From my knowledge:

Georgia Regents University is planning on interviewing about 35 people (5 dates with 7 people per day?) for 3 spots...

University of Cincinnati had 4 interview dates and about 10-12 on my date, so maybe about 40-45 people for 4 spots...

Emory had 5 people interview on my date, not sure how many dates they had, but they have 3 spots available...

Last edited:
How many positions at SUNY stony brook and Houston Methodist? Websites do not mention anything

I wonder if there's some way to find out how many people each place is interviewing? Anyone with insight on this? I can start. From my knowledge:

Georgia Regents University is planning on interviewing about 35 people (5 dates with 7 people per day?) for 3 spots...

University of Cincinnati had 4 interview dates and about 10-12 on my date, so maybe about 40-45 people for 4 spots...

Emory had 5 people interview on my date, not sure how many dates they had, but they have 3 spots available...
Do the math and you'll get as good an answer as any. 10:1 more or less.

I have no idea how this is relevant to you as the applicant, but what the hell...now you know.

Programs will interview 7-12 applicants for 1 position. The more competitive/prestigious the program is, the less applicants they will need to interview for 1 position. The less competitive/prestigious it is, the more applicants they will need to interview. A safe bet would be 10 for 1 (e.g. 40 for 4 spots, 50 for 5 spots, etc.)

Let's go back to talking about the actual programs. That's probably more relevant.

Medical College of Georgia/Georgia Regents University: Good clinical program. Basic science opportunities available but fellows need to show initiative. Program director is very friendly, approachable and recently started as PD, hence looking to make a lot of positive changes. First year is busy with 7-9 months of inpatient, other years are primarily outpatient and research. VA continuity clinic but from next year they are having a fellow run continuity clinic at the cancer center. They have two separate services: BMT/leukemia and solid tumors. Their sickle cell and hemoglobinopathies research center is very well-known in the area, large referral base. BMT experience is ok but they lost a couple of faculty members recently to Emory. Overall, I left with a good feel, fellows seem happy, ~60-70% into private practice, others stay in academics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical College of Georgia/Georgia Regents University: Good clinical program. Basic science opportunities available but fellows need to show initiative. Program director is very friendly, approachable and recently started as PD, hence looking to make a lot of positive changes. First year is busy with 7-9 months of inpatient, other years are primarily outpatient and research. VA continuity clinic but from next year they are having a fellow run continuity clinic at the cancer center. They have two separate services: BMT/leukemia and solid tumors. Their sickle cell and hemoglobinopathies research center is very well-known in the area, large referral base. BMT experience is ok but they lost a couple of faculty members recently to Emory. Overall, I left with a good feel, fellows seem happy, ~60-70% into private practice, others stay in academics.
Supposedly, they are also changing (or already changed) the university name from Georgia Regents University to Augusta University?

Last edited:
Supposedly, they are also changing (or already changed) the university name from Georgia Regents University to Augusta University?
Yes, it's changed. It is still the Medical College of Georgia program. Med school name will remain same from what I gather.

Hey guys, I really like the idea of posting program impressions. It's refreshing compared to some of the other posts. Thought I'd try to contribute:

Moffitt: I liked the place overall, faculty and fellows seemed down to earth. It's a big program so call didn't sound too bad. One possible con is that I didn't get a great sense of if there was a lot of opportunity for people interested in pursuing more basic/translational projects - one of my interviewers felt it was a weak point of the program (specifically opportunities for translational research). Fellows are strongly encouraged to present at national conferences. The PD was very down to earth. My interview day there was a bit weird - instead of being asked any questions, every single one of my interviews consisted of "What questions do you have?" which was tough because right before the interviews, the PD gave a 2 hour incredibly detailed presentation.

Michigan: Awesome program, I think it probably doesn't get as much play on SDN in general because of its location in the Midwest while being in a city not named "Chicago". Faculty and fellows were all very easy to talk to and there are many opportunities for research. They also offer some time for fellows to be re-exposed to basic science lab techniques during the second year of fellowship, for those who are interested. It seemed like an extremely high percent of their fellows (60-70%) over the last decade ended up going into academics. From my exploring, Ann Arbor is actually a nice town but might be a bit tough for people who absolutely have to live in a big city.

Need to pick one...Boston Univ vs. Mayo Arizona.. Help please!

anyone with an NIH date after Oct 9 ?

No, I haven't heard anyone with any dates in October. They are unusually slow in their email communication. It seems like the changes in the program with changing leadership is keeping them busy.

I guess this thread has slowed down significantly now that interview invites have slowed or stopped

How would you all rank the Philadelphia programs? What do you think about still using paper charts at one of them?!

How would you all rank the Philadelphia programs? What do you think about still using paper charts at one of them?!

I'll take a shot at this.

1 U Penn
2/3 Jefferson vs FCCC (solids)

4 Drexel
5 Cooper
6 Albert Einstein

Dont know what to say about paper charts, a negative when considering my daily workflow - id say.

I'm in disbelief that a comprehensive cancer center like RPCI is not able to put any of their fellows into academics for many years now. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind it? They have a ton of research labs and (even if dwindling) funds. I'm sure fellows have access to it if they are willing. Then, why o why? J1 waivers jobs is a constricting factor maybe?

Last edited:
I'm in disbelief that a comprehensive cancer center like RPCI is not able to put any of their fellows into academics for many years now. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind it? They have a ton of research labs and (even if dwindling) funds. I'm sure fellows have access to it if they are willing. Then, why o why? J1 waivers jobs is a constricting factor maybe?

Because they choose the wrong fellows.

I'll take a shot at this.

1 U Penn
2/3 Jefferson vs FCCC (solids)

4 Drexel
5 Cooper
6 Albert Einstein

Dont know what to say about paper charts, a negative when considering my daily workflow - id say.

I agree with this. I think FCCC has a bigger name so maybe a slight edge. The paper charts part is definitely a negative at Jeff, but the fellows don't seem to have too much of a problem with it and Epic go live date is set for Jan for the first phase roll out.

Hi All,

Please those who had an interview at MD Anderson Cancer Center, please post your experience. I will really appreciate that. My Interview is by mid of October and I am not sure. It is two days. The official interview day will be in the weekend. Please let me know, either in this post of by a personal messege

Hi All,

Please those who had an interview at MD Anderson Cancer Center, please post your experience. I will really appreciate that. My Interview is by mid of October and I am not sure. It is two days. The official interview day will be in the weekend. Please let me know, either in this post of by a personal messege

What are you not sure about? It's an interview!! People want to meet you to see if you would fit in with them. They will talk to you as a person and physician and ask you questions about your interests and career goals. It's not a mystery, whether it's MD Anderson or someplace else!

Hello all - starting to have to limit interviews :( Any opinions on Fox Chase vs Yale? Leaning liquids but not very differentiated at all.

Thanks.

UChicago vs Cleveland Clinic? Goal - Academic life with translation research in some sort of malignancy.

Hello all - starting to have to limit interviews :( Any opinions on Fox Chase vs Yale? Leaning liquids but not very differentiated at all.

Thanks.

Would probably pick based on location.

That would make sense if it didn't happen every year, don't you think? Last 3-4 years, none have gone into academics.
I think they have a good program but the location is so bad that people just don't want to stay on as faculty. Also, they want people with significant ties to the area, at least that's the impression I got from the interview.

For anyone who interviewed at or with knowledge about George Washington - could you provide some insights about the program? I understand they didn't fill one of their spots last year and scrambled a candidate. I'm considering cancelling my interview, but wanted to hear some SDN thoughts before I did.

Help me with ranking these programs, please. This is the order I'm thinking at this point.

1. Yale
2. UCLA
3. Moffitt
4. U of Michigan
5. Emory

Please help me rank the following programs. Any suggestions/comments would be really appreciated. Interested in academics/malignant hematology. I am on a visa, so availability of academic J1 visa waivers after my fellowship in the institute is also important to me.

1. Mayo, Rochester
2. MUSC, Charleston
3. University of Wisconsin, Madison
4. Case Western
5. Einstein, Montefiore
6. Baylor, Houston
7. Indiana
8. U of Arizona

What are your interests? Does location matter?
Help me with ranking these programs, please. This is the order I'm thinking at this point. No geographic preference, more focus on hematologic malignancy, but would like to have balanced training of both solid/heme. Wants stay in academia. Thanks in advance!

1. Yale
2. UCLA
3. Moffitt
4. U of Michigan
5. Emory

Last edited:
Please help me rank the following programs. Any suggestions/comments would be really appreciated. Interested in academics/malignant hematology. I am on a visa, so availability of academic J1 visa waivers after my fellowship in the institute is also important to me.

1. Mayo, Rochester
2. MUSC, Charleston
3. University of Wisconsin, Madison
4. Case Western
5. Einstein, Montefiore
6. Baylor, Houston
7. Indiana
8. U of Arizona
I know nothing about the visa issue so I'm completely ignoring that. On strength of program alone:
Mayo
Indy
Madison
Baylor
Monte/Case
AZ/MUSC

It wouldn't be ridiculous to rank those first 4 in order of preferred location.

I know nothing about the visa issue so I'm completely ignoring that. On strength of program alone:
Mayo
Indy
Madison
Baylor
Monte/Case
AZ/MUSC

It wouldn't be ridiculous to rank those first 4 in order of preferred location.
Thanks a lot!

For anyone who interviewed at or with knowledge about George Washington - could you provide some insights about the program? I understand they didn't fill one of their spots last year and scrambled a candidate. I'm considering cancelling my interview, but wanted to hear some SDN thoughts before I did.

Clinically oriented. Small. Not much research. I would cancel..

It seems like most of the people here wants a position with focus on research?
My goal is clinically oriented program and private practice on the long run

There's nothing wrong with that.

They only think that because they've not experienced anything else yet. 80% of you will go into community practice (note that PP isn't really a thing anymore, or at least won't be very soon, at least in most cities).

Help me with ranking these programs, please. This is the order I'm thinking at this point. No geographic preference, more focus on hematologic malignancy, but would like to have balanced training of both solid/heme. Wants stay in academia. Thanks in advance!

1. Yale
2. UCLA
3. Moffitt
4. U of Michigan
5. Emory

I think those are all strong places - can't fault the order you have if that was your gut feel. Would probably have Michigan higher up if it were me but it's not my list.