Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi
I am interested in academic but don't care much If I match at a community program as my main goal is to get hem/onc fellowship. Should I leave my personal statement general and vague about my goals or write one for academic programs and one for community? thank you and good luck to all

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I am interested in academic but don't care much If I match at a community program as my main goal is to get hem/onc fellowship. Should I leave my personal statement general and vague about my goals or write one for academic programs and one for community? thank you and good luck to all
It's not a bad idea. And not that hard to do. But probably unnecessary. Do it if it makes you feel better. But it's not as if community programs don't also have an academic/research component.

It's not a bad idea. And not that hard to do. But probably unnecessary. Do it if it makes you feel better. But it's not as if community programs don't also have an academic/research component.
very helpful, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
anyone is having trouble editing and saving entries on ERAS?

It's still important. Your PD LOR is a mix of the Chair's Letter and MSPE that you had for residency apps. You could apply without it, but it's absence will be noted, and not in a good way.
Thanks GutOnc.

Hello Guys

I have 3 LOR already available on ERAS. I am still waiting for a 4th LOR which will be coming sometime next week. Should i apply on 07/15 with only 3 LORs and send the 4th LOR later or should i wait and apply only when i have all 4 LORs available.

Please advise.

Hi GutOnc,

You once wrote that OHSU filters out visa applicants. Was it just a generic example or they really do it? On FREIDA they are listed as offering both J-1 and H-1B. Tried emailing them - no response. Thanks.

Hi GutOnc,

You once wrote that OHSU filters out visa applicants. Was it just a generic example or they really do it? On FREIDA they are listed as offering both J-1 and H-1B. Tried emailing them - no response. Thanks.
I have not been involved in app reviews for a couple of years but when I did do it, we had so many apps to sort through that we did use the need for a visa as a filter. Can't comment on how they do it now.

Hi all,

I did 2 electives during my residency at big outside university programs. Where should I mention them? Should I mention under current/prior training with my residency program or should I put it as work experience?

Thank you, GutOnc. Guess, I'll stick to North East.

I have not been involved in app reviews for a couple of years but when I did do it, we had so many apps to sort through that we did use the need for a visa as a filter. Can't comment on how they do it now.

All the freakin time! ERAS is designed by a ******ed monkey!

I had trouble on my personal computer (using Firefox and IE) editing entries on ERAS. I was able to use ERAS today at the hospital using Firefox and update the entries, though. This evening, I am again unable to edit the entries on my PC. I don't know what the problem is, but it feels like I'll be getting to the hospital super early on July 15th to submit my application.

Hi!
I have 5 LORs - one from the director of cancer center, 2 from the other oncologists I work with, one from the chair of dept. of medicine and one from PD of residency program (graduated 5 yrs ago). What 3 or 4 LORs should I use?
The programs which require LoR from "current" PD, what letter should I include?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's a a good idea to mention in PS, if some program suits you more geographically or leave this discussion for the interview (if you get one!)

I had trouble on my personal computer (using Firefox and IE) editing entries on ERAS. I was able to use ERAS today at the hospital using Firefox and update the entries, though. This evening, I am again unable to edit the entries on my PC. I don't know what the problem is, but it feels like I'll be getting to the hospital super early on July 15th to submit my application.

ERAS does not let me update or edit "clinical experience" so I had to delete the entries and enter new one. However, it does let me edit other categories - strange!

Hi!
I have 5 LORs - one from the director of cancer center, 2 from the other oncologists I work with, one from the chair of dept. of medicine and one from PD of residency program (graduated 5 yrs ago). What 3 or 4 LORs should I use?
The programs which require LoR from "current" PD, what letter should I include?
Use the LOR from your former PD, and then the 3 strongest others. Probably the Director, the Chair and one of the oncologists.

Is it advisable to apply on 15th without the PD letter and attach it later when it is uploaded? I am expecting it hopefully in 3-4 days time. I am unclear whether programs download applications immediately or later.

Is it advisable to apply on 15th without the PD letter and attach it later when it is uploaded? I am expecting it hopefully in 3-4 days time. I am unclear whether programs download applications immediately or later.
Just submit. No program will download once today and then never again. You're worried about nothing.

Submitted mine just now. I still have 1 LOR pending. Good luck everyone!

Damn! I just realized that I made a grammatical error in my personal statement. Can I change it?

Is there any way of knowing when programs download the application and associated documents?

Applying this year after 3 yrs of hospitalist work.
residency: University Affiliated community program
Research: PhD (Cancer biology) Post-doc and junior faculty experience prior to joining internal medicine residency
IMG
US citizen
Publications: 3 first author
Posters: 3
LOR- one from PD, one from Chief of oncology. others pending

I am applying selectively locally. Trying to avoid move after settling family with young kids.
My LOR writers are on vacation and havent uploaded it yet...how much should I be worried and can I apply LOR pending?
thanks

Deadlines for most places are either Aug. 15 or Aug 31. I think most people are submitting this week and next week. Did you give your LOR writers a deadline? Most people I know gave a deadline at least 1-2 weeks before July 15th since they are always late.

No idea about submitting without LOR, but they can't make a decision with an incomplete application. I would try to get them in by the end of the month.

Apparently not this year. They were probably hoping it would get you all to chill out. Clearly, they've never been on SDN.

Gutonc, I'm impressed that you keep up closely enough to know that they changed it. I realized it after I talked to my home institution coordinator on application day. If you're willing to answer and obviously feel free not to, how did you know that they weren't doing it this year?

Gutonc, I'm impressed that you keep up closely enough to know that they changed it. I realized it after I talked to my home institution coordinator on application day. If you're willing to answer and obviously feel free not to, how did you know that they weren't doing it this year?

Some of us have received interview invites (don't freak out - not HemOnc), and the program that invited me looks the same as all the others on ERAS.

Then, I wandered over to the other medicine sub-specialties and realized GutOnc moderates those as well. Ignore my prior curiosity question.

I read it on SDN. How else would I know (since immediately not a PD)?

Hi. Still waiting for PD LOR, may take 7-10 more days. Is it advisable to apply with a pending PD LOR?

Hi. Still waiting for PD LOR, may take 7-10 more days. Is it advisable to apply with a pending PD LOR?

Yes. My suggestion is yes. Apply now and they can update your app with PD letter when it's in. As soon as it's in ERAS, you should assign it to all the programs and they'll receive a notification that it's there. At least, that's my understanding. Someone can correct me if wrong.

I agree with the above. There is essentially no upside in waiting to submit -- either way your application is incomplete and holding back will just mean they have 0% of your application instead of 90%. That being said, I'm not sure if they will review your app either way until your PD letter is in.

I have applied but I'm still waiting for one important letter from my away-elective mentor; he said that he was going to work on it on Friday but hasn't uploaded it yet. I do have another letter that I can use instead but prolly is not as strong as he would write. What do you guys suggest? I'm ok waiting if it's not too late but I don't want to miss out just because I didn't get this particular letter either. Thanks.

I am not applying to Heme/Onc, however, someone I know got her first interview invite today from Thomas Jefferson. Coming from arguably one of the top 3 IM programs, good LORs as far as I know, no strong basic science research background.

I have applied but I'm still waiting for one important letter from my away-elective mentor; he said that he was going to work on it on Friday but hasn't uploaded it yet. I do have another letter that I can use instead but prolly is not as strong as he would write. What do you guys suggest? I'm ok waiting if it's not too late but I don't want to miss out just because I didn't get this particular letter either. Thanks.
A strong personalized LOR is definitely something worth waiting for. however, I wudnt wait past the end of the week

Why not apply now with three letters and submit the fourth letter when it becomes available?

Got an email today from Cornell asking me to send in my personal statement as they could not view it from ERAS. Talked to ERAS and they said it's a technical glitch they're working to fix by Wednesday.

Got an email today from Cornell asking me to send in my personal statement as they could not view it from ERAS. Talked to ERAS and they said it's a technical glitch they're working to fix by Wednesday.
when did you submit your application MedStuds?

How do you know that the programs dowloaded the application?
Next to the documents now in Eras, it only says "Application available". Will it be updated to "dowloaded by program"?

I am applying after 3 years of hospitalist. No research experience. i am interested in clinical more than research. strong LOR. how many programs should I apply for? I have no geo restrictions. thanks

I am applying after 3 years of hospitalist. No research experience. i am interested in clinical more than research. strong LOR. how many programs should I apply for? I have no geo restrictions. thanks
As many as you possibly can. You can safely skip the big Cancer Centers as they are very research-heavy programs.

Reactions: 1 user