Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would appreciate input on breaking two ties in my top four ROL. Interested in malignant heme (perhaps transplant) and clinical research. Preference towards big city living in NYC, but unsure of how to factor in Philly.

Top Spot: Cornell vs Upenn
# 3-4: Columbia vs Mount Sinai
Cornell
Penn
Flip a coin

Members don't see this ad.

Appreciate your thoughts. Definitely going towards academics and unsure of what type of malignancy. Not interested in bench and prefer not to be in a big city (but will for a quality program).

1) Cornell (good name, intensive first year though)
2) OSU (great feeling from interview, good mentorship)
3) UChicago (amazing program, lots of research and hook ups for career)
4) UNC (PD was great, lots of research funding, good feeling from interview day)
5) Jefferson
6) Georgetown
7) Wisconsin
8) Cleveland Clinic
9) Baylor Houston
10) Emory
11) Scripps

Alright GutOnc and everyone else, looking for a little guidance on my list. Looking for great clinical training and a good name to prepare me for community practice.

1. Northwestern
2. Michigan
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Wisconsin
5. Pittsburgh
6. Indiana
7. Iowa
8. Rush
Personally Id move CCF down to just below UPITT, but otherwise would probably order them the same as you

Edit - nevermind just realized gutonc already responded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate your thoughts. Definitely going towards academics and unsure of what type of malignancy. Not interested in bench and prefer not to be in a big city (but will for a quality program).

4) UNC (PD was great, lots of research funding, good feeling from interview day)
5) Jefferson
6) Georgetown
7) Wisconsin
8) Cleveland Clinic
9) Baylor Houston
10) Emory

I dont think that Cornell is clearly better than Ohio State... And given the fact youd prefer not to live in a big city, I think itd make sense to nudge OSU up to #1.

Also, I think Id move Wisconsin up a tad, but thats just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

5) Jefferson
6) Georgetown
7) Wisconsin
8) Cleveland Clinic
9) Baylor Houston
10) Emory
11) Scripps
Cracks me up that you explicitly don't want a big city but that 2 of your top 4 programs are big city places that pale (or at least don't shine) in comparison to others in your top 10.
tOSU/UNC
Wisco/UChicago/Emory
Cornell
The rest of them

I dont think that Cornell is clearly better than Ohio State... And given the fact youd prefer not to live in a big city, I think itd make sense to nudge OSU up to #1.

Also, I think Id move Wisconsin up a tad, but thats just me.

Cracks me up that you explicitly don't want a big city but that 2 of your top 4 programs are big city places that pale (or at least don't shine) in comparison to others in your top 10.
tOSU/UNC
Wisco/UChicago/Emory
Cornell
The rest of them

Thank you both. I like the re-ordering a lot.

Hello guys,
I have a quick question. I am interested in solid tumors and academic career and debating between WashU and Vanderbilt. I know Vanderbilt may sound better option given well rounded program, my interview day created questions given fellows did not look so happy about mentorship at Vanderbilt. But really don't know what's going on internally. Will be happy if someone can give some more insight. Thanks...

Hello guys,
I have a quick question. I am interested in solid tumors and academic career and debating between WashU and Vanderbilt. I know Vanderbilt may sound better option given well rounded program, my interview day created questions given fellows did not look so happy about mentorship at Vanderbilt. But really don't know what's going on internally. Will be happy if someone can give some more insight. Thanks...
You'll get your ass kicked at both of those places. And if you come out with your dignity intact on the other side, you'll have all kinds of future opportunities.

There's been some faculty upheaval at Vandy lately but it's not like the patients aren't still coming.

5) Jefferson
6) Georgetown
7) Wisconsin
8) Cleveland Clinic
9) Baylor Houston
10) Emory
11) Scripps

I wasn't impressed with Cornell when I interviewed there in 2013. Attended their fellow case conference got a feeling that some of their faculty are rather paternalistic (e.g Nanus). Don't get me wrong. They have good people. The PD seems grounded. They have severe prominent physician-scientist / scientist if you are interested in bench/translation research (e.g lewis cantley for PI3K, ari melnick in lymphoma). Also met with Andrew Schafer (the author of the vanishing physician-scientist and whose last interest I gather is in MPD) who is pleasant and would be a great mentor. It's a busy program and typical NYC big city feel.

UNC - Alice Ma is a pretty cool PD. She's funny and say it as it is. Great benign heme program. They also do well in breast I hear

Wisc - Amazing college town. Love the lake and small city feel. I question the pathology they see up there.

Emory - Seems like a busy program rotating through multiple hospital. Would be a great clinical program if you don't mind the travel and Atlanta traffic. Their strength is in malignant heme ( Langston, chris flowers, lonial sagar and others)

Georgetown - I might have heard that bruce cheson is no longer the PD there. He's a lymphoma expert. Great program for GI (Marshall) and Melanoma (atkins). It's a niche program - they don't have mal heme (other than lymphoma)

OSU - Great opportunities in CLL (Byrd), lymphoma (Kristie blum), decent transplant program, GI (Goldberg, Saab, one of the biggest GI program in country), Lung (carbone) and well respected faculty in head/neck (gillison).

Hello guys,

Pick Wash U for academic and particularly mal heme. I hear you do BMT/leukemia in WashU till you bleed - they have a great concentration in that area. They have senior faculty in lung as well (Govindan seems like a great mentor)

Pick Vandy for city. Sosman (melanoma clinical trial) is still there the last I've heard. Several junior faculty stepping up with senior folks leaving

Would appreciate input on breaking two ties in my top four ROL. Interested in malignant heme (perhaps transplant) and clinical research. Preference towards big city living in NYC, but unsure of how to factor in Philly.

Top Spot: Cornell vs Upenn
# 3-4: Columbia vs Mount Sinai

Upenn no question over cornell for me. Unless you are interest in lymphoma - PLCGamma2 and BTK resistance

I liked Pitt. Thought that they were super motivated in making the fellowship great, had a good mentorship program, with specialties in many different fields (5 SPORES). Pittsburgh in of itself is the drawback, but good to know you think highly of it.

Pitt has their problems but it's a decent program (chief of all being private-academic partnership ...comes down to money and patient base). Except in melanoma, I'm not sure how much cross-talk between their basic scientist and clinician in other areas. My impression is that they have a strong immunology basic science program but not too much cross-talk with clinical programs. They are accumulating junior faculty. Not sure of the junior to senior faculty ratio and mentorship options.

Pittsburgh is a lovely city that grows on you. The city isn't a drawback - it's a plus !

Not considering location as a factor, which is better for oncology, UAB or Mayo Arizona.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @gutonc and @indsha008

How do you evaluate program strength? Are we talking about clinical exposure? Research opportunities? Size? Career starting opportunities? I'm struggling in ranking because I can't tell which programs have a good balance in all those areas.

I probably didn't interview at any of the ones that do..

Thanks @gutonc and @indsha008

How do you evaluate program strength? Are we talking about clinical exposure? Research opportunities? Size? Career starting opportunities? I'm struggling in ranking because I can't tell which programs have a good balance in all those areas.

I probably didn't interview at any of the ones that do..
You need to evaluate that for yourself. If you felt that Miami was a way better program for you, for whatever, reason(s), you're probably right.

When I say "program strength" I am talking about the usual things that med students, residents and attendings get their panties in a bunch about, which you've outlined nicely. But the best program is the one that you think will work for you. In this case, if that's Miami and not Nebraska, then go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Gut ONC can you give me your 2 cents on Cinci vs UAMS. Looking to get into private practice after fellowship Thanks

Last edited:
Need advice on the ROL. Interested in solids mainly GI.
1. Ochsner Clinic
2. University of Louisville
3. Methodist Houston
4. Tulane
5. LSU New Orleans
6. Uni of Mississippi
7. LSU Shreveport
8. Roger Williams

Is this looking better now? Thanks GutOnc, visari, ETA, MikeScott, CD19/20, Pertuzumab and others who have been really helpful.

Emory
RPCI
Utah
MCW
Karmanos
Florida
Kentucky
Cincinnati
Stony Brook

Utah and RPCI are still equally desirable and I'm not sure which one to rank 2. The reason I'm leaning towards RPCI is that the center is more comprehensive (no major weak areas) and has more research opportunities than Utah. But then, Utah has a better fellowship program structure, has a non-malignant atmosphere and is very strong in malignant heme and GU (my current interests).

MCW is a great program - good vibe, great hospital, decent staff, blood research institute and substantially better NCI+NHLBI funding than Karmanos.

For the last 4, I'm not sure where Kentucky and Florida fit.

Last edited:
Is this looking better now? Thanks GutOnc, visari, ETA, MikeScott, CD19/20, Pertuzumab and others who have been really helpful.

Emory
RPCI
Utah
MCW
Karmanos
Florida
Kentucky
Cincinnati
Stony Brook

Utah and RPCI are still equally desirable and I'm not sure which one to rank 2. The reason I'm leaning towards RPCI is that the center is more comprehensive (no major weak areas) and has more research opportunities than Utah. But then, Utah has a better fellowship program structure, has a non-malignant atmosphere and is very strong in malignant heme and GU (my current interests).

MCW is a great program - good vibe, great hospital, decent staff, blood research institute and substantially better NCI+NHLBI funding than Karmanos.

Emory is the easy number one for me on that list, however with lots of work and travel between the hospitals. I agree with your thoughts on MCW. It sounds like the program has really improved over the past few years. They're very heme oriented (with the BRI, CIBMTR, etc) though and weaker on solid tumors.

Emory
RPCI
Utah
MCW
Karmanos
Florida
Kentucky
Cincinnati
Stony Brook

I would have Utah at 2, especially if you're interested in malignant hem. Plus, Salt Lake City>>>>>>>>>Buffalo. The last 4 seem fine to me. Florida vs. Kentucky probably based on city +/- NCI designation (if that matters to you).

Any thoughts about my second half of the list?

Cincinnati
George Washington University
Gundersen
Texas Tech University
Oklahoma

Need advice on the ROL. Interested in solids mainly GI.
1. Ochsner Clinic
2. University of Louisville
3. Methodist Houston
4. Tulane
5. LSU New Orleans
6. Uni of Mississippi
7. LSU Shreveport
8. Roger Williams

Ochsner has a lot of money which can only be a good thing. Don't know much about the rest. It's surprising that Roger Williams is this low on your list, I probably would have it 2-4 spots higher.

Any Thoughts about roger williams, especially for solids. I interviewed there but couldnt get a good feel for the program.

Is there any benefit of my mentor giving a call/sending an email to my top 3 programs? Should I ask him? If yes, what is the best time to do so?

Is there any benefit of my mentor giving a call/sending an email to my top 3 programs? Should I ask him? If yes, what is the best time to do so?

I second this question. If so, what would they say to number 2 and 3? "Dr. Mike Scott is ranking your program as one of their top programs" ?

Emory
RPCI
Utah
MCW
Karmanos
Florida
Kentucky
Cincinnati
Stony Brook

Indsha008, I vote for where you'd be happier between those two. A malignant environment can really change a person in 3 years.

I second this question. If so, what would they say to number 2 and 3? "Dr. Mike Scott is ranking your program as one of their top programs" ?
Pick 1. Not 3. 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, long time follower, first time posting. I'm interested in thoracic malignancies and developmental therapeutics and was wondering if I could get some input on my ROL.

1.MSKCC
2.Vanderbilt
3.Yale
4.University of Chicago
5.Columbia
6.Northwestern
7.UNC
8.Case
9.UCSD

thanks

anyone know how to find which programs participate out of the match (ie prematch)

Any one been to ochsner ?

I rotated here during medical school; I spent time on each service including BMT - which I though was fantastic. Great teaching; faculty was very patient, and the IM residents very eager to help out. I'm interested in GI and was happy with the exposure to this. I met only one Onc fellow; she seemed happy, told me her graduating cohort had nice support within the program and also good job prospects. They have basic research in-house as well. PD is from Columbia/NYC.

Building is decent; nicer than LSU or Tulane.

I preferred it over all the other new orleans programs, I did not go to shreveport

Help with ROL. Interested in solid's. Thanks
1. Cincinnati
2. Arkansas
3. Karamanos
4. Mayo Jacksonville
5. St.John Detroit
6. Lehigh Valley
7. Toledo

Help with ROL. Interested in solid's. Thanks
1. Cincinnati
2. Arkansas
3. Karamanos
4. Mayo Jacksonville
5. St.John Detroit
6. Lehigh Valley
7. Toledo

I know it's in Detroit, but dude Karmanos is way better than any other program on that list. And even when it comes to location, I can give you Cincy but Detroit is a much better place than Little Rock.

Emory
RPCI
Utah
MCW
Karmanos
Florida
Kentucky
Cincinnati
Stony Brook

nice list, just be aware of the loss of major faculty across the spectrum at RPCI...including GU... early phase trials.. heme.. and unfortunately an ongoing problem...
Utah is a stable and class program.
Karmanos deserves to be higher as well.. i wish i had an interview there..
I cant comment on florida but having been at the last two (cinn, stony brook), feel like you got thier positions right.. i might put SB higher due to location (long island) but SB is very very inpatient heavy.

hope it helps

Hi guys, long time follower, first time posting. I'm interested in thoracic malignancies and developmental therapeutics and was wondering if I could get some input on my ROL.

1.MSKCC
2.Vanderbilt
3.Yale
4.University of Chicago
5.Columbia
6.Northwestern
7.UNC
8.Case
9.UCSD

thanks
You're not going to get much help on this list because you're basically asking "I'm looking to get a new car and can't decide between a BMW M5, a Porsche Cayman and a Tesla P85D." In each case you're going to blow a wad of cash and get a sweet car although each one will be a little different and have it's own pluses and minuses. Either way, you'll get good looks going down the street.

I was impressed with the opportunities at Vandy, but I wasn't sure about specific mentorship of fellows. Some of the fellows didn't seem to be happy. Did you get that feeling? Or was I reading too much into it? I thought Univ. of Chicago was a little stronger. My thought would be 2. Univ of Chicago, 3. Vanderbilt, 4 Columbia. Not sure where Yale belongs. I hear Northwestern and UNC were fairly strong too.

Any thoughts on ranking the following. Interested in malignant heme. I didn't have a great vibe from Detroit on my interview day.

Wisconsin
Iowa
Case
Karmanos
VCU
MCW
Rutgers

Here is my very short list..family with kids, like benign malignant heme and BMT and research but probably would end up practicing in community

1. UNC
2. Wake forest
3. Georgetown
4. Mount Sinai

Please give input. Thanks for the forum and discussions

nice list, just be aware of the loss of major faculty across the spectrum at RPCI...including GU... early phase trials.. heme.. and unfortunately an ongoing problem...
Utah is a stable and class program.
Karmanos deserves to be higher as well.. i wish i had an interview there..
I cant comment on florida but having been at the last two (cinn, stony brook), feel like you got thier positions right.. i might put SB higher due to location (long island) but SB is very very inpatient heavy.

hope it helps

Thanks for your input. RPCI PD mentioned that although they lost a few faculty members in GU, they were able to recruit a new GU chief and one other faculty member. But yes, it seems to continue losing their faculty, which is quite upsetting given how great of a program this used to be once upon a time.

Any thoughts on ranking the following. Interested in malignant heme. I didn't have a great vibe from Detroit on my interview day.

Wisconsin
Iowa
Case
Karmanos
VCU
MCW
Rutgers

As we all can see, none of us has gotten a good vibe from Karmanos. It may be a good program on paper. We make the mistake of thinking of fellowship programs as "static", but in reality they keep changing quite a bit year to year. Karmanos fellowship structure is quite paternalistic. I wouldn't be sad if I do match there but I don't see myself being happier there when comparing to MCW.

I was impressed with the opportunities at Vandy, but I wasn't sure about specific mentorship of fellows. Some of the fellows didn't seem to be happy. Did you get that feeling? Or was I reading too much into it? I thought Univ. of Chicago was a little stronger. My thought would be 2. Univ of Chicago, 3. Vanderbilt, 4 Columbia. Not sure where Yale belongs. I hear Northwestern and UNC were fairly strong too.

You know its interesting how much the interview day experience varies from person to person. During my day at Vanderbilt I did not get the impression of unhappiness from the fellows I met. Additionally I had a chance to meet with Leora Horn (one of the lung folks) who was pretty excited about mentoring potentially interested fellows. Univ of Chicago is very strong but I just felt the potential mentors at Yale (Herbst) or Columbia (Rizvi,Carvajal) were a more ideal fit for me. Northwestern is resource laden and definitely up-and coming as is UNC; UNC had some of the coolest faculty from PD down I encountered on the trail.