Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're not going to get much help on this list because you're basically asking "I'm looking to get a new car and can't decide between a BMW M5, a Porsche Cayman and a Tesla P85D." In each case you're going to blow a wad of cash and get a sweet car although each one will be a little different and have it's own pluses and minuses. Either way, you'll get good looks going down the street.
M5, duh?

Members don't see this ad.

interested in cellular immunotherapy for solid tumors, looking to establish career as a physician-scientist, but also want to go to a program with strong clinical training w/ significant autonomy to the fellows (i.e. fellow's clinic). Also prefer to do combined heme/onc training, as some of the programs (i.e. Hopkins, MSKCC, MD Anderson) have majority of fellows single-boarding. Please comment on my rank list.

1. having a difficulty time deciding between Hopkins, Fred Hutch, MSKCC, and MD Anderson
5. Cornell
6. Columbia
7. UPMC
8. NIH
9. Colorado
10. Emory
11. NYU
12. UTSW

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is very impressive compared to other fellowship threads (even GI and Cards). Thanks for keeping it useful and alive!!

HEM/ONC ROCKS!!

Members don't see this ad :)
interested in cellular immunotherapy for solid tumors, looking to establish career as a physician-scientist, but also want to go to a program with strong clinical training w/ significant autonomy to the fellows (i.e. fellow's clinic). Also prefer to do combined heme/onc training, as some of the programs (i.e. Hopkins, MSKCC, MD Anderson) have majority of fellows single-boarding. Please comment on my rank list.

1. having a difficulty time deciding between Hopkins, Fred Hutch, MSKCC, and MD Anderson
5. Cornell
6. Columbia
7. UPMC
8. NIH
9. Colorado
10. Emory
11. NYU
12. UTSW

You and I have EXTREMELY similar lists, it's actually kind of eerie. I think at the level of granularity you're talking about, it'll probably boil down more to other factors such as family, location, and if there are places with some specific labs you want to work in.

For people that had the virtual interview from Louisville, did you ever hear anything back from them unless you got the in-person invite? I'm trying to figure out if I am supposed to rank them or not? (I'd rank them near the bottom of my list but should I rank them at all or are they only ranking in-person interviewees?)

5. Cornell
6. Columbia
7. UPMC
8. NIH
9. Colorado
10. Emory
11. NYU
12. UTSW
3/4 of your #1 programs fail the "dual board" test. Be really, really sure about your 1 and 2 though, because that's where you're likely to end up.

3/4 of your #1 programs fail the "dual board" test. Be really, really sure about your 1 and 2 though, because that's where you're likely to end up.
Majority of these top tier programs have their fellows single boarding? Is that because they're so heavily research oriented? I'm not in that tier for interviewing so that bit of information came as a bit surprising to me. Why not get dual boarded and continue doing research for an extra six months or something perhaps? If not wanting to spend an extra 6-12 months doesn't float your boat, then why not just go for a straight 2 year program (assuming some top tier program would offer that?)

Majority of these top tier programs have their fellows single boarding? Is that because they're so heavily research oriented? I'm not in that tier for interviewing so that bit of information came as a bit surprising to me. Why not get dual boarded and continue doing research for an extra six months or something perhaps? If not wanting to spend an extra 6-12 months doesn't float your boat, then why not just go for a straight 2 year program (assuming some top tier program would offer that?)

The thought is that many people who go into academics will not end up truly taking advantage or really needing to dual board since you'll likely end up hyper-specialized anyway. That being said, none of those places explicitly require single-boarding though if you are going to dual-board you might have to explain why. Interestingly enough at some of the other "top tier" places you need to explain why you are single-boarding instead of dual-boarding and it seems to vary from place to place.

Here is my very short list..family with kids, like benign malignant heme and BMT and research but probably would end up practicing in community

1. UNC
2. Wake forest
3. Georgetown
4. Mount Sinai

Please give input. Thanks for the forum and discussions

Looks good to me. UNC is probably more research heavy, Wake is more clinically heavy. I wouldn't change it.

Looks good to me. UNC is probably more research heavy, Wake is more clinically heavy. I wouldn't change it.
That was my impression too. UNC has six internal candidates this year so it's going to be tough to match there this year

That was my impression too. UNC has six internal candidates this year so it's going to be tough to match there this year
Didn't go to Wake forest, but my interpretation of your list would be different. Mt. Sinai = UNC > Gtown.

Mt. Sinai seemed to have a ridiculous amount of opportunity, similar to UNC. Gtown is definitely more limited in scope. If you don't like NYC tho, that could be a trump card. Sinai also just got an NCI designation, and is growing rapidly as opposed to Gtown.

What made you rank in that order?

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't go to Wake forest, but my interpretation of your list would be different. Mt. Sinai = UNC > Gtown.

Mt. Sinai seemed to have a ridiculous amount of opportunity, similar to UNC. Gtown is definitely more limited in scope. If you don't like NYC tho, that could be a trump card. Sinai also just got an NCI designation, and is growing rapidly as opposed to Gtown.

What made you rank in that order?
Couple of things- cost of living, family friendliness and quality of program. I liked mount Sinai a lot but cost of living with family in Manhattan gave me a pause. I either have to commute long distances or sacrifice few things in children upbringing.
To be honest if I were single, my list would look that way. UNC >mount Sinai >others

I may still change it up and bring mount Sinai up, I really had great interview there. That's why I was seeking input from others

UT san antonio vs einstein new york...wats the verdict?...appreciate the input.

I may still change it up and bring mount Sinai up, I really had great interview there. That's why I was seeking input from others

I strongly suggest keeping UNC above Sinai as you have it right now. They have tremendous faculty and fantastic NCI+NHLBI funding. Sinai doesn't even come close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Baylor, Houston is a big name program but I was not very impressed with the interview. Fellows seem overworked from clinical duties. Interview day was disorganized and they did not give much info. I also heard that they are having funding issues and may downsize the number of fellows. Anybody with any current info about the program?
I felt exactly the same... From what I gathered on the interview day they have 28 months of inpatient services in between 4 hospitals and you are on call for 15 days out of a month. Their third year batch has 10 fellows but now they have funding for only 6 ..so starting 2016 they will have 4 fellows less which would make their clinical duties more. Correct me if I am wrong

Any one could comment on U Maryland, Yale and Columbia? Is it crazy to rank Maryland before Yale and Columbia just b/c of location? Yale and Columbia, which one should I rank first in general? I haven't decided to go private or academic yet. Thanks a lot.

I hate to be "that guy" asking for differences between good programs, but I'm honestly a bit confused and even more so after talking with various advisors at my institution. I am interested in solids and planning to get into basic/translational research during fellowship. Does anyone here have a feel for if there are any major differences between Fred Hutch, Hopkins, and Penn with regards to research structure/opportunities specifically for solid onc? I actually really, really, liked the Hutch but have heard mixed things about how strong their solid oncology program is with respect to research opportunities. Let's say that I'm not wedded to a specific signaling pathway, oncogene, or histologic subtype and am hypothetically basing my order primarily on research breadth.

Any one could comment on U Maryland, Yale and Columbia? Is it crazy to rank Maryland before Yale and Columbia just b/c of location? Yale and Columbia, which one should I rank first in general? I haven't decided to go private or academic yet. Thanks a lot.
I can't comment on Maryland because I didn't apply, but between Columbia and Yale, I think they're pretty close. Would probably give slight edge to Yale for research stuff personally but others may disagree.

I hate to be "that guy" asking for differences between good programs, but I'm honestly a bit confused and even more so after talking with various advisors at my institution. I am interested in solids and planning to get into basic/translational research during fellowship. Does anyone here have a feel for if there are any major differences between Fred Hutch, Hopkins, and Penn with regards to research structure/opportunities specifically for solid onc? I actually really, really, liked the Hutch but have heard mixed things about how strong their solid oncology program is with respect to research opportunities. Let's say that I'm not wedded to a specific signaling pathway, oncogene, or histologic subtype and am hypothetically basing my order primarily on research breadth.
UW/Hutch is relatively weak in solids compared to Hopkins and Penn, and compared to their heme mal strengths. But there are clearly opportunities (GI is pretty good) if you are willing to look for them. But you will be pushed towards heme mal if you let them.

Hopkins probably has the best options for you overall. But you'll come out of any of those places with opportunities if you're willing to work for them during fellowship.

UW/Hutch is relatively weak in solids compared to Hopkins and Penn, and compared to their heme mal strengths. But there are clearly opportunities (GI is pretty good) if you are willing to look for them. But you will be pushed towards heme mal if you let them.

Hopkins probably has the best options for you overall. But you'll come out of any of those places with opportunities if you're willing to work for them during fellowship.

Great, thank you for the input!

I like Hopkins too, but my only reservation is the location (namely that the hospital is located right in the worst part of Baltimore) and the race riot in Baltimore a while ago. lol, I remember the PD told us on the interview day that it would be "too bad" if we decide to not go there based on those factors.

Hi all! New poster, long-time lurker here. I've interviewed at some great programs but am really struggling with the order of my rank list and was hoping some of you (gutonc?) could provide some input on these programs and the order of my list. My interest is in thoracic oncology and clinical research with a focus on therapeutic trials and targeted therapies. A supportive program and collegial environment is important to me, and location is less important as I could see myself being happy in any of these cities. My current rank list is:

1. University of Michigan
2. UNC
3. Vanderbilt
4. Ohio State
5. Yale
6. University of Colorado
7. Moffitt

Thank you for your input!

Hi all! New poster, long-time lurker here. I've interviewed at some great programs but am really struggling with the order of my rank list and was hoping some of you (gutonc?) could provide some input on these programs and the order of my list. My interest is in thoracic oncology and clinical research with a focus on therapeutic trials and targeted therapies. A supportive program and collegial environment is important to me, and location is less important as I could see myself being happy in any of these cities. My current rank list is:

1. University of Michigan
2. UNC
3. Vanderbilt
4. Ohio State
5. Yale
6. University of Colorado
7. Moffitt

Thank you for your input!

Feels like everyone here had interviews at the same places!!

You should have Colorado higher if interested in lung oncology.

any thoughts on roger williams? the program has affiliations with both BU and Brown but sort of wondering about the training and exposure that fellows get.

Hey guys, programs that I interviewed at have a wide spectrum. I have a background of basic/translational research and pursue an academic oncology career. Really needs your advice and opinion.

My top 3 are NIH, Fred Hutch, and Emory. I still don't know which one to put #1. I really liked Fred Hutch and Emory, and NIH was surprisingly weak in clinical medicine (I love seeing patients, so won't give up patient care). However, my advisor thinks that the NIH is better for an academic career. I know decision is on me, but do you have any opinions or advice?

Roswell Park, UMass, UMiami, UFlorida, Mount Sinai, North Shore LIJ
1. Roswell Park is a NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Institute, but for some reason, all current fellows are visa holders, which means that American graduates don't like this program? I still don't understand why this is the case. Do you guys know why? Is it because of its location?
2. Mount Sinai has a good name (at least in cards or GI), but I see almost all fellow graduates go to private practice or local Mount Sinai affiliated hospitals. I guess it has weak fellow education and mentorship (plus a poor quality of life in Manhattan), only has 4 fellows/year in the 1,200 bed big hospital, fellows looked clinically overwhelmed. My advisor prefers NSLIJ (w/ very strong CLL w/ Dr. Kanti Rai still writing in NEJM) to Mount Sinai. What do you think?
3. UMiami looks great with great research, but they don't allow moonlighting, so I won't put it high.

I still don't know what to put from #4. As I mentioned above, I will have to make a decision, but your opinion or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, programs that I interviewed at have a wide spectrum. I have a background of basic/translational research and pursue an academic oncology career. Really needs your advice and opinion.

My top 3 are NIH, Fred Hutch, and Emory. I still don't know which one to put #1. I really liked Fred Hutch and Emory, and NIH was surprisingly weak in clinical medicine (I love seeing patients, so won't give up patient care). However, my advisor thinks that the NIH is better for an academic career. I know decision is on me, but do you have any opinions or advice?

1. Roswell Park is a NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Institute, but for some reason, all current fellows are visa holders, which means that American graduates don't like this program? I still don't understand why this is the case. Do you guys know why? Is it because of its location?
2. Mount Sinai has a good name (at least in cards or GI), but I see almost all fellow graduates go to private practice or local Mount Sinai affiliated hospitals. I guess it has weak fellow education and mentorship (plus a poor quality of life in Manhattan), only has 4 fellows/year in the 1,200 bed big hospital, fellows looked clinically overwhelmed. My advisor prefers NSLIJ (w/ very strong CLL w/ Dr. Kanti Rai still writing in NEJM) to Mount Sinai. What do you think?
3. UMiami looks great with great research, but they don't allow moonlighting, so I won't put it high.

I still don't know what to put from #4. As I mentioned above, I will have to make a decision, but your opinion or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Fred Hutch is certainly your best program! NIH comes a close second I think. It's a fantastic program to launch an academic career and there are ample examples of people having been able to do so. There is no dearth of excellent mentors at Fred Hutch and NIH. Emory certainly doesn't come close to those 2 programs. Roswell Park is in a bad location and they have lost a lot of nice faculty in the recent past along with dwindling funds, but one can certainly make a decent academic career out of Roswell Park but it would require much harder work. Just my 2 cents.

Fred Hutch
NIH
Emory
Mount Sinai
RPCI
UMiami
UMass
UFlorida

NIH is great for academic career because of intramural funding. It's fairly competitive to get grants especially R01 from outside. My mentors at NIH always suggested that it's a great spring board to launch an academic career

Trying to finalize part of my list, what are your thoughts on:
Oklahoma
Medical college of Georgia
West Virginia
Michigan state
East Carolina

Last edited:
Fred Hutch
NIH
Emory
Mount Sinai
RPCI
UMiami
UMass
UFlorida

You think Mount Sinai is a better program than RPCI or UMiami or UMass? I do know that Mount Sinai is a good med school with world class cardiology or liver, but I am not sure hem/onc fellow could get good educational support. I do agree that Emory is #3. Thank you for your response!

Fred Hutch is certainly your best program! NIH comes a close second I think. It's a fantastic program to launch an academic career and there are ample examples of people having been able to do so. There is no dearth of excellent mentors at Fred Hutch and NIH. Emory certainly doesn't come close to those 2 programs. Roswell Park is in a bad location and they have lost a lot of nice faculty in the recent past along with dwindling funds, but one can certainly make a decent academic career out of Roswell Park but it would require much harder work. Just my 2 cents.

Yeap, I also heard from the program fellows that RPCI lost lymphoma and leukemia big shots recently. I do agree that Fred Hutch is a very good program, and I fell in love with the program and Seattle. However, do you think that an idea of putting NIH #1 over Fred Hutch is crazy? :) I really don't know what to put #1, Fred Hutch or NIH. Thanks for your response!

I don't think it's crazy at all. I know 2 fellows at NIH who recently graduated. One is at MSKCC and the other one is at OHSU amongst others who got excellent academic jobs. You can make your desired academic career there.

NIH is great for academic career because of intramural funding. It's fairly competitive to get grants especially R01 from outside. My mentors at NIH always suggested that it's a great spring board to launch an academic career

My mentor also said that NIH would be great to develop an academic career, so she thought putting NIH #1 would also be a great idea, too (although I really loved Fred Hutch, and NIH interview was not a pleasant experience because of a lack of food and moving back and forth in the morning. I don't know what to put #1...

NIH is great place for academic research career. You have access to variety of resources bright minds. There is nothing to stop you from more clinical exposure if you somehow decide to change your mind and go back to community. I had a friend who did that by asking for more clinical rotations. Fred hutch is great place too. But if you decide to stay at NIH later on funding yourself is easier

You think Mount Sinai is a better program than RPCI or UMiami or UMass? I do know that Mount Sinai is a good med school with world class cardiology or liver, but I am not sure hem/onc fellow could get good educational support. I do agree that Emory is #3. Thank you for your response!

Mount Sinai is a "bigger name", the cancer center has good funding and will likely retain faculty. We've all seen places where the reputation of the institution ends up being way better than the actual fellowship program, and I think if you saw better opportunities at RPCI, Miami or Mass then you should pick them over Sinai. There are pros and cons to each of them, you just have to decide what you're looking for.

Hey guys! Hope everybody is doing great..Can someone pls help me with my ROL
Stony Brook
Houston Methodist
UTMB
LSU(NOLA)
UFL(Gainsville)
BUMC
Newark

To those of you who interviewed at NYP-Cornell - did you get a full all-day interview day? (intro to the program, meet program director, lunch with fellows, tour, interviews, etc)?

To those of you who interviewed at NYP-Cornell - did you get a full all-day interview day? (intro to the program, meet program director, lunch with fellows, tour, interviews, etc)?

Yes, it was a full day ...including sushi and wine with the residents.

Also had a full day, why do you ask? What did ya think of the program?