Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New York versus South Carolina, big location differences...
Yup thats for sure, but if we take the location differences away , which is a better program ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Hope everybody is doing great..Can someone pls help me with my ROL
Stony Brook
Houston Methodist
UTMB
LSU(NOLA)
UFL(Gainsville)
BUMC
Newark
What did you like about Methodist so much? I was turned off by how big and unorganized their interview day was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of these allow or offer moonlighting opportunities?

Utah
UNC
Baylor

Has any of you received any post-interview communication this or last week, now that the ranking list deadline is only a week away?

Has any of you received any post-interview communication this or last week, now that the ranking list deadline is only a week away?

Yes. I'm not sure how much stock to put into it, however. Gutonc or others with experience?

Yes. I'm not sure how much stock to put into it, however. Gutonc or others with experience?
None. Just like the PDs you sent love letters to assume that, at best, you are a lying sack of s*** and sent the same letter to at least half of the places where you interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't. But I guess since you and some others have, I guess it's not a good sign :/

I haven't. But I guess since you and some others have, I guess it's not a good sign :/

I don't think it's a bad sign, indsha008. I would assume a lot of programs don't do it, since post communication could be considered a NRMP violation. It's such a grey area and some people feel strongly about not doing it. I would not take it as a sign at all.

I wrote such a beautiful love letter to my top choice only to not even have an acknowledgment from em

Is all business..no one cares about (our) love

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't either. I thought some post interview replies were good enough.

I haven't either. I thought some post interview replies were good enough.
I've been lacking in the post interview replies from most PDs too. But then again my current residency home PD didn't reply to my love letter for residency back in the day and I still ended up here?

I heard from one place but the wording was vague enough that they could have sent it to 50% of the people they interviewed for all I know.

Those of you who got distant post-interview emails recently, are you willing to share just the names of the programs that you have heard from?

Most of my communications were right after, and I got responses- some with personal touch some generic. I think we all have fairly good idea about which programs received us well and which didn't. At the end of the day most decent program have fellowship committee where selected faculty sit together, run the list and come up with ROL. Our "love letters" hardly influence that list.

And this is unique situation. Can you all imagine a month before prom night listing gals they would like to go out with and gals doing the same. Submit a list and run r3 algorithm..now that would be a hoot

Those of you who got distant post-interview emails recently, are you willing to share just the names of the programs that you have heard from?
I interviewed at 16 places. I received 0 post-interview emails. Hoping this is not significant.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Did anyone have post-interview contact or replies from?
Emory
Jefferson
UFlorida

I interviewed at 16 places. I received 0 post-interview emails. Hoping this is not significant.
It is very significant. It means that the PDs at the programs where you interviewed are awesome and not trying to play some sort of bulls*** game with you. Nice work choosing those places to interview.

Reactions: 2 users
MUSC
VCU
Baylor
NSLIJ

How to rank these programs guys. I am interested in GI oncology or Malignant heme not sure yet

Interviewed at 10 places. Received no post-interview communications. Anyone heard anything from any of the top 30 programs?

Hey guys

I have been hearing a lot about OSU being an under rated program.
So here is my question:
How does OSU compare to Mayo Rochester? I know Mayo is a brand but just wanted to throw this question out there to see if someone can give a good answer. Looking for academic program, unsure of malignant hem vs. onc preference.

Also, how does mayo rochester compare to mayo AZ for hem/onc?

Thank you

top 30 programs such as Mayo and Ohio State.

I thought Ohio state has excellent opportunities in the second half of the fellowship, and they have a great record of helping fellows launch an academic career. They have a gigantic cancer hospital but the clinics are scattered across campus, which makes traveling a pain. I don't think they have much autonomy in their clinical 1.5 years, but of course that varies with attending. I think there are also too many inpatient services when they should be more of a consult experience. Overall, I think it is a strong program but Mayo is probably superior (though I didn't apply there).

how do you rank these programs:
1. U Chicago
2. U pitt
3. Indiana
4. Baylor (Houston)
5. RPCI

Hey guys

I have been hearing a lot about OSU being an under rated program.
So here is my question:
How does OSU compare to Mayo Rochester? I know Mayo is a brand but just wanted to throw this question out there to see if someone can give a good answer. Looking for academic program, unsure of malignant hem vs. onc preference.

Also, how does mayo rochester compare to mayo AZ for hem/onc?

Thank you

for your first question, OSU is a great program and so is Mayo Rochester. Mayo is a bigger name out in the public if that matters to you. You will probably get excellent training at either. Columbus >> Rochester. Autonomy at Mayo is better (despite what people might think). bottom line: can't go wrong with either. The fourth year at Mayo is not obligatory btw

For your second question, there is no comparison. Just because that program in Arizona has the name "mayo" doesn't make it in any way comparable to the real mayo.

how do you rank these programs:
1. U Chicago
2. U pitt
3. Indiana
4. Baylor (Houston)
5. RPCI

Very reasonable. RPCI might better than Baylor but they're losing quite a few big shots to other places.

Finally a love letter! snail mail from U Louisville... :)

Last edited:
is crazy to rank GT over UMD-- the fellows at UMD seemed overworked

Folks need some help ranking these programs. My interest is malignant Heme and Bone Marrow transplant. So far uncertain beteween UOL and UMASS.

Uni of Louisville
UMASS
Drexel
Alleghany General Hospital

I will appreciate feedback

Folks need some help ranking these programs. My interest is malignant Heme and Bone Marrow transplant. So far uncertain beteween UOL and UMASS.

Uni of Louisville
UMASS
Drexel
Alleghany General Hospital

I will appreciate feedback
I know UofL program pretty well, but no clue about UMass. I would think that UMass is better but I could be wrong.

T - 2 days til ROL are locked
T - 23 days til match day!

University of Florida versus University of Colorado? Which one is better in terms of training and living environment?

Hey all, sorry for the late post, but I could really use some last minute help. I am confident about the top and bottom of my list, but I am confused about the middle. Was planning to rank 2) USC 3) NYU 4) Sinai. I guess I was wondering if there was a great discrepancy between the caliber of the three programs. Obviously, there is a high probability that I will end up at my #2-4, so I just want to make sure I am not making a huge mistake.

University of Florida versus University of Colorado? Which one is better in terms of training and living environment?
I'd go with Colorado

Hey all, sorry for the late post, but I could really use some last minute help. I am confident about the top and bottom of my list, but I am confused about the middle. Was planning to rank 2) USC 3) NYU 4) Sinai. I guess I was wondering if there was a great discrepancy between the caliber of the three programs. Obviously, there is a high probability that I will end up at my #2-4, so I just want to make sure I am not making a huge mistake.

Based completely on hearsay (I didn't interview at any of those programs), I'd put MSSM ahead of NYU. No idea where USC falls in all of this

Good luck to everyone !

If you love benign heme and hate the opportunity to do any real research, then NYU is the place to be.

Personally, I'd go Sinai, USC and then the rest of your list. Keep NYU on it if you're worried about not matching. I almost walked out of that interview and ultimately didn't rank it.

I personally never had to make any harder decision in life. For me having decent life style, nice house and kids settled in, it came down to- do I realize my dream or give up on it for comfort and safety of what already exist. And finally after much thinking and soul searching I chose to give my dream a chance.
If I match at my #1, everything will be cool. Here is to hope and future
Good luck everyone!