Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reminds me of Independence Day Movie (altered, poorly, for effect):

“Good morning. In less than 48 hours, computers from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest email check in the history of mankind. “Mankind.” That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the 30th of November, and you will once again be fighting for our careers… Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from hospital medicine [completely kidding here, no offense meant]. We are fighting for our right to give chemo. To exist. And should we win the day, the Second of December will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate our Match Day!”

Members don't see this ad.

now I am all fired up..now where is my crop duster

I refuse to give up. If I don't match this year, I reapply next year and if not the year after. This is not up to destiny. This is my destination and I will make it there. The only question is when and where.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reminds me of Independence Day Movie (altered, poorly, for effect):

“Good morning. In less than 48 hours, computers from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest email check in the history of mankind. “Mankind.” That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the 30th of November, and you will once again be fighting for our careers… Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from hospital medicine [completely kidding here, no offense meant]. We are fighting for our right to give chemo. To exist. And should we win the day, the Second of December will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate our Match Day!”

Hear hear!! Aye cap'n. Be there any truer words aroun' in these lands, and i'd readily sink a pint of sea turtles down me throat.

So the question is, how are you going to find out? I'll most likely be at work and try to maybe sneak away so I can be alone when I find out, perhaps to the library or something as I frantically check the results on my phone. Now the next question is how do I tell my family? Should I text my wife the answer as she isn't at the hospital. Worth finding out the destination where we are going to be living for the next three years via text? Haha

Edit- I'll prolly most likely end up calling my wife. Text message is not the best way to convey good/sad news in this situation imo

Last edited:
Can someone tell me why in the 21st century we have to wait 21 days for an "automated match" to be released? I mean please! As if someone is doing it manually..

I'll be most certainly at work and rounding in the ICU. I might run away and not come back to the unit for the day! (I wish..)

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

Despite there being over 1250 posts in this thread, I predict a total of 5 people will actually post where they matched, and only 2 will be back to answer questions in next year's thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your guidance always. Still remember last year you helped answer so may queries. Im sticking around to help with any questions any one may have for my limited experience

Thanks and Good luck with the match!! :D

Despite there being over 1250 posts in this thread, I predict a total of 5 people will actually post where they matched, and only 2 will be back to answer questions in next year's thread.

It's kinda like an hourly countdown now, and I'm repeatedly checking this thread even though it's slow activity, haha

If we don't match do we find out in advance? Or even ppl who don't match find out tomorrow 12pm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like most of you, I'm running through all the different scenarios in my head. ::getting anxious:: Hoping for the best tomorrow. For the ones that will follow Gutonc's prophecy and not return, thanks for talking through the season. Thanks to all the folks on here (and our fearless moderator, Gutonc) who provided great advice.

Nothing but best wishes and good luck for everyone.

I was not active here but I read most of the posts and appreciated all the valuable information. Thanks to you all and best of luck tomorrow.

This is so nerve wrecking. I just want to fast forward the next 13 hours of my life.

I think that's an accurate statement. Regardless, this was a great experience. Good luck everyone!

~4.5 hours! So how is everyone's morning? I hope not too anxious or stressful! Anyways, I hope everything works out for the best for everyone!

Good luck random strangers of the Internet! I hope it ends up being a happy day for everyone

Key to happiness is accepting you are never actually in control. :) watching new Jurassic movie ..what an apt dialogue

University of Maryland. Gutonc and everyone - thank you so much for everything!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mayo, Rochester. Thanks for all your help guys

BU!
Thank you for all the help, advice & encouraging words!

I'm going to MSKCC. Thanks for your advice folks. I'll try to be back next year but won't be using the same username (don't want my own opinions to be taken as representative of my program's). I hope everyone got where they wanted!

Columbia/New York Presbyterian

Thank you to gut onc and the other moderators for your advice!

Vanderbilt...thank you guys for all the input and congrats to everyone.

Matched at Temple.. Thanks for all the information. Congrats to those who matched

Looks like 8 unmatched spots, 3 at UC ervine?

Congrats everyone!

What other programs went unfilled?
Oschner and university of New Mexico maintaining their record of not matching anyone... Damn I emailed them to call me ... It's a comprehensive center ahh too bad !

Oschner and university of New Mexico maintaining their record of not matching anyone... Damn I emailed them to call me ... It's a comprehensive center ahh too bad !
Wait how did they not match anyone? They only rank a few candidates or something?

Thanks to this phenomenal forum and the members.

Last edited:
Wait how did they not match anyone? They only rank a few candidates or something?

yeah .. im surprised.. huge program and NM is scenic if not hot socially... i think they rank too few..!