Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So finally got 3 required LOR and submitted. Still waiting for one letter, but I cant get any response from writer. Writer is internationally distinguished faculty. But I did not want to wait too long. Do we have to get usmle transcript trasmitted by ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite Dates
Thomas Jefferson: 7/20
UMichigan: 7/21
Utah: 7/21

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite Dates
UNC: 7/21

Interview Invite Dates

VCU: 7/22

Univ of Colorado. Invite by phone

Interview Invite Dates

UColorado: 7/23 (phone invite!)
Yale: 7/23

Last edited:
Interview Invite Dates

Thomas Jefferson: 7/20 (phone invite)

Guys - when you are getting interviews, does the application status under "track documents" change from "available" to something else? Is there a way to know if the program downloaded our applications?

Guys - when you are getting interviews, does the application status under "track documents" change from "available" to something else? Is there a way to know if the program downloaded our applications?

Nothing changes. As far as I know, there is no way to know if a program has retrieved your documents.

I have a letter of recommendation that arrived late. I have already applied to all the desired programs with 4 LORs. Is there any way possible that i can substitute this letter for another in my application?
if i cannot can i email the letter to the programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a letter of recommendation that arrived late. I have already applied to all the desired programs with 4 LORs. Is there any way possible that i can substitute this letter for another in my application?
if i cannot can i email the letter to the programs?
You can't substitute the LOR after you've assigned 4 letters to the programs. Have you waived your right to see the letter? It'd be awkward to email them the letter if you have waived your right. I think it would also be awkward to send a 5th letter, in general. Perhaps, you can carry the letter with you for interviews? Or maybe the person who wrote it can send it to some select programs for you. Other people may have better thoughts/advice.

Fellow heme-onc'ers, any insight on the new book "p53 - the gene that cracked the cancer code"? I'm just starting to read this book. It seems quite interesting.

Interview Invite Dates

UIowa: 7/24

UPittsburgh 7/24 (email, list of 5 dates to choose from)

I imagine people who are getting interviews applied on 15th when it opened. I applied on 20th, hoping that it would not derail my chances.

Will we get any news over the weekend or likely silent till monday?

Looking at last year's application cycle thread, quite a few programs sent out acknowledgement emails and asked for supplemental information by now. Anything different this year?

Yes, lot's of new bugs this year. Maybe the programs don't see some applications, who knows. No way to check it this year.

Btw, my MSPE shows it's viewable Oct. 1, called ERAS and they said "Oct. 1 is just wording", but in fact, it's already viewable...

Looking at last year's application cycle thread, quite a few programs sent out acknowledgement emails and asked for supplemental information by now. Anything different this year?

Yes, lot's of new bugs this year. Maybe the programs don't see some applications, who knows. No way to check it this year.

Btw, my MSPE shows it's viewable Oct. 1, called ERAS and they said "Oct. 1 is just wording", but in fact, it's already viewable...

Haha, good to know. MSPE being released on Oct 1st is typically for residency applications.

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is taking the process in stride!

I wanted to feel out people's thoughts on good programs for people who are primarily interested in clinical practice but who still want to train at a major cancer center and who still do want some exposure to clinical research.

Some of the very "top" programs pretty much say up front that they want people who want to do mostly research (be it basic science or clinical). Let's say we set aside the big four (MD Andersen, MSKCC, Mayo, Farber), the other big programs as per USNews (admittedly not the greatest resource, I know) are...

5 Seattle Cancer Alliance/ University of Washington 6 Hopkins 7 UCLA 8 Dana Farber/ Massachusetts General Hospital (why is this listed separately?) 9 UCSF 10 Stanford 11 Penn 12 Cleveland Clinic 13 City of Hope, Duarte CA 14 WashU 15 University of Colorado 16 Northwestern 17 Wake Forest 18 Moffit Cancer Center, Tampa 19 Mayo Clinic, Phoenix 20 New York Presbyterian Cornell, Columbia 21 Fox Chase 22 Emory 23 UC San Diego 24 Ohio 25 Pittsburgh 26 USC 27 Duke 28 U Michigan 29 Jefferson 30 Cleveland Clinic

In short, my desires are for (1) good clinical training, (2) good locale (Chicago, Denver, West Coast, East Coast, and/or access to nice beaches), (3) access to good clinical research opportunities (although not to the detriment of clinical exposure), (4) reasonably happy fellows and (5) reasonably good name to help me get a good first job. Can you guys help me pick a few programs to take a hard look at? They don't necessarily have to be on the list above. I'm looking to go on around 10 interviews. (I've applied to most of the above and mostly just need to pick which interviews to attend assuming I am invited).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is taking the process in stride!

I wanted to feel out people's thoughts on good programs for people who are primarily interested in clinical practice but who still want to train at a major cancer center and who still do want some exposure to clinical research.

Some of the very "top" programs pretty much say up front that they want people who want to do mostly research (be it basic science or clinical). Let's say we set aside the big four (MD Andersen, MSKCC, Mayo, Farber), the other big programs as per USNews (admittedly not the greatest resource, I know) are...

5 Seattle Cancer Alliance/ University of Washington 6 Hopkins 7 UCLA 8 Dana Farber/ Massachusetts General Hospital (why is this listed separately?) 9 UCSF 10 Stanford 11 Penn 12 Cleveland Clinic 13 City of Hope, Duarte CA 14 WashU 15 University of Colorado 16 Northwestern 17 Wake Forest 18 Moffit Cancer Center, Tampa 19 Mayo Clinic, Phoenix 20 New York Presbyterian Cornell, Columbia 21 Fox Chase 22 Emory 23 UC San Diego 24 Ohio 25 Pittsburgh 26 USC 27 Duke 28 U Michigan 29 Jefferson 30 Cleveland Clinic

In short, my desires are for (1) good clinical training, (2) good locale (Chicago, Denver, West Coast, East Coast, and/or access to nice beaches), (3) access to good clinical research opportunities (although not to the detriment of clinical exposure), (4) reasonably happy fellows and (5) reasonably good name to help me get a good first job. Can you guys help me pick a few programs to take a hard look at? They don't necessarily have to be on the list above. I'm looking to go on around 10 interviews. (I've applied to most of the above and mostly just need to pick which interviews to attend assuming I am invited).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

US News does not rank programs according to their fellowship training quality. It is based on patient satisfaction, morbidity/mortality scores, documentation, and other indicators that have nothing to do with the training directly. Some big centers are missing from your list. NCI/NIH, OHSU, Vandy, UofC, Northwestern, BIDMC, and the list goes on! NCI/NIH may not be the right program for you since you are more into "clinical" training and research. I just can't seem to understand why US News rankings is such a big deal.

I would think most university tertiary institutions are good programs especially if they are comprehensive cancer centers. Ranking them is another story.

For someone less interested in hematology and more oncology, how much inpatient is too much? Some are 6 months, some are almost the whole year. Some are fairly outpatient.

Do you guys know if anyone got an interview invite from NCI/NIH this cycle yet?

I would think most university tertiary institutions are good programs especially if they are comprehensive cancer centers. Ranking them is another story.

For someone less interested in hematology and more oncology, how much inpatient is too much? Some are 6 months, some are almost the whole year. Some are fairly outpatient.

My two cents - I feel like 6 months is perfect and the year is too much. Beyond the acute leukemia, DLBCL, small cell lung cancer that require immediate treatment, most of the inpatient oncology patients are more complication issues and medicine topics we've hopefully already had good exposure to and can feel adequately prepared for in the 6 months. The bigger learning feels like is in the consults and the outpatient visits.

Do you guys know if anyone got an interview invite from NCI/NIH this cycle yet?

I don't think they sent invitation out yet. Based on last year record, they invited people around 8/8.

Just organizing the list alphabetically for easier review. Hoping that this list grows longer today for all of us! Good luck.

Interview Invite Dates

FWIW, my program (OHSU) has one of the few formal AYA Oncology Fellowship programs out there and has one of the first (only?) Adult Survivorship clinics run out of the adult side of Hem/Onc for survivors of pediatric cancer.
Thanks so much and sorry for the late reply! I definitely applied there!

UPMC 7/24
A few more of those were phone invites, its not a big deal to mention that on here though.

Hey All,
I had a question about the list of released interviews. I have heard from some on that list, but there is one on that list I was hoping to interview. Is this just a first round of interviews like in residency, or is that it? If that is it, is it ok to reach out to that program? Or should I wait to reach out that program? If so, when does one reach out to the program?

I appreciate all the advice!

got my final LOR(4th) and sent it out. Feel bad that started out with rejection @ECU. 29 applied. one decline.

UT San Antonio 7/27 (will probably cancel)

Fantastic work, MedStuds!

Interview Invite Dates

Baylor: 7/27
NYU: 7/27
St. John Providence, MI: 7/27
UColorado: 7/23
UPMC: 7/24
UTHSC San Antonio: 7/27

I saw this in the other sub-specialty threads. Could we do this too?

AMGs

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

I saw this in the other sub-specialty threads. Could we do this too?

AMGs

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

I don't believe in this. After 3 years of residency, I believe that we all are at an equal playing field and have doors open to strong academic programs. There's no point in discriminating on such forums. It doesn't help any one.

I don't believe in this. After 3 years of residency, I believe that we all are at an equal playing field and have doors open to strong academic programs. There's no point in discriminating on such forums. It doesn't help any one.
I don't believe in this because it's stupid. But you're also wrong about the equal playing field.

But whatever...do what you all want to do.

I don't believe in this because it's stupid. But you're also wrong about the equal playing field.

But whatever...do what you all want to do.

Yeah, this whole thing will get way too complicated if we start breaking things up like that. I mean, what if a visa requiring IMG and a non-visa requiring IMG and an AMG and a puppy all get an invites to a program? Then what? Do we have to list it four times?

It was a thought. We don't have to do it. Definitely disagree that it's an even playing field. I'll re-post the prior running list so we have that as our continuing thread.

Also, I'd assume puppies get home-field advantage at all places since nobody can hate them. Thereby, they wouldn't need the extra category.

Just Repost - no new updates.

Interview Invite Dates