Official 2015-2016: LizzyM <70 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilez12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to create this thread to get a feel for how others who have below a 70 LizzyM are doing currently this cycle. I've seen a lot of people get IIs early (thus far), but most of them are either LizzyM of >70 or have special circumstances. My Lizzy is 67-68 and currently for this cycle:

CA Applicant, traditional
Interviews: None
Rejections: University of Washington (pre-secondary)
Tulane University (pre-interview)
Georgetown University (pre-interview)
Holds: None
Secondaries not received: UCD and UCLA (David Geffen)

Still a long way to go, so I'm not worrying at all - just curious about everyone else who is in the same situation as me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
LizzyM 68.

Interviews: University of Louisville (IS), University of Kentucky (IS), VCU, GWU, UT San Antonio, and Case Western.

Rejections: Gtown and IU.

Still very early so no need to fret! I am what you would call a reinvention applicant so that may make a difference.

Reactions: 5 users
LizzyM 68.

Interviews: University of Louisville (IS), University of Kentucky (IS), VCU, GWU, UT San Antonio, and Case Western.

Rejections: Gtown and IU.

Still very early so no need to fret! I am what you would call a reinvention applicant so that may make a difference.

Wow, congratulations on all those interviews!!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM 69 (I think? It's just GPAx10 + MCAT right?)

II: Miami Miller (!!!), Gtown, UCI (!!!) and BU
Rejection: Tulane (boo!! This was one of my top choices oh well)

Reactions: 1 users
LizzyM 69 (I think? It's just GPAx10 + MCAT right?)

II: Miami Miller (!!!), Gtown, UCI (!!!) and BU
Rejection: Tulane (boo!! This was one of my top choices oh well)

Congrats on those interviews :) And yes, Lizzy = GPA x10 + MCAT. Are you a CA applicant? Hoping for that UCI interview as well!!!

LizzyM 66-67. 2 rejections of 23 MD schools.

No II's. Allow me to clarify that I have gotten some DO school II's but no MD II's.

Last edited:
LizzyM < 65 using undergrad grades only, 67 for undergrad + postbac. Nontrad reinvention applicant, lots of research experience.

Interviews: Texas A&M, Texas El Paso, Texas Houston, Texas Lubbock, Texas Austin (I'm OOS for Texas), Keck, Boston U, Miami, Case Western
Rejections: Georgetown, Tulane, and three far reach schools
Got a secondary from UCLA but not from any of the other UCs that I applied to.

Last edited:
LizzyM < 65 using undergrad grades only, 67 for undergrad + postbac. Nontrad reinvention applicant.

Interviews: Texas A&M, Texas Tech El Paso, U Texas Health Science Center Houston (all OOS), Boston U
Rejections: Georgetown, Tulane
Got a secondary from UCLA (nice surprise) but not from any other UC.

Pleasantly surprised, to be honest. WedgeDawg's rating system seems to have done a good job at predicting which schools would give me a chance.

Same rejections basically with the Georgetown and Tulane (stupid low-yield schools). But congratulations on all those Texas interviews and BU!! I'm a CA applicant so I've received mostly all of my UC secondaries, but have not received UCLA yet, so you got that one over me!!! :cat:

LizzyM 66-70 depending on how you consider my SMP GPA.

Applied to 30 allopathic schools (completed most late July, rest early August)
Interviews: WVU, Rosalind Franklin, Albany
Rejected: Tulane
Hold: GWU
Waiting for Screen: VCU

Congrats on those interviews :) And yes, Lizzy = GPA x10 + MCAT. Are you a CA applicant? Hoping for that UCI interview as well!!!

Yes, CA applicant scared poopless :( I've received all UC secondaries except UCLA (alma mater..WHAT?!!) and UCD. One really good chance predictor I've found that has been pretty spot on so far for me is the one on prospectivedoctor.com

I re-checked today and realized that Tulane was considered an Undershoot (and so far that's my only rejection) , and all of my II so far are my "target" schools per their generated school list for me. That being said...UCD is considered and undershoot for me but I LOVE THEM I WOULD LOVE TO GO THERE :)

No worries! I'm in the same situation right now, but our interviews will be coming soon!! Keep hoping for the best :)

We can only hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, CA applicant scared poopless :( I've received all UC secondaries except UCLA (alma mater..WHAT?!!) and UCD. One really good chance predictor I've found that has been pretty spot on so far for me is the one on prospectivedoctor.com

I re-checked today and realized that Tulane was considered an Undershoot (and so far that's my only rejection) , and all of my II so far are my "target" schools per their generated school list for me. That being said...UCD is considered and undershoot for me but I LOVE THEM I WOULD LOVE TO GO THERE :)

Uhh, I would not trust that chance predictor much... University of Washington as an undershoot for OOR?

Relying on these predictors is a universally bad idea. It predicts purely on numerical stats (GPA/MCAT) correlated with race and state of residence. It has zero relation to your ECs and experiences. It also fails to adjust for state/public schools, as OOS matriculants at those schools will have median stats far higher than the accepted median.

Unless you have a LizzyM > 74, I would argue there is no such thing as undershooting. And no matter what your LizzyM is, UWashington is not gonna be an undershoot if you are OOR.

Yay, a fellow Bruin!! I'm going to be an upcoming senior at UCLA this year. And ugh c'mon UCLA love me, I'm a Bruin!!! Also nothing from UCD which I'm kind of annoyed about because that's the only secondary I pre-wrote . I would love to go to UCD as well though!! Let's hope for the best.

LizzyM ~65 (CA applicant, nontrad, lots of research and clinical experience)

Interviews: 1 DO
Rejections: EVMS (pre-secondary)

Received all the secondaries I was banking on, including those in my state. I've been complete at most schools since mid-August (a couple in late July) and am patiently waiting for news!

Congratulations on your interview!! Kind of wish I applied to DO as well now, but there was just too many things that I couldn't get myself to do to fill out that DO application!

Congratulations on your interview!! Kind of wish I applied to DO as well now, but there was just too many things that I couldn't get myself to do to fill out that DO application!

You can still fill out a DO application and be totally on time for the DO cycle.

Uhh, I would not trust that chance predictor much... University of Washington as an undershoot for OOR?

Relying on these predictors is a universally bad idea. It predicts purely on numerical stats (GPA/MCAT) correlated with race and state of residence. It has zero relation to your ECs and experiences. It also fails to adjust for state/public schools, as OOS matriculants at those schools will have median stats far higher than the accepted median.

Unless you have a LizzyM > 74, I would argue there is no such thing as undershooting. And no matter what your LizzyM is, UWashington is not gonna be an undershoot if you are OOR.

I personally found the one on prospectivedoc more accurate than lizzym + other chance predictors I've seen..and I'm only comparing it to my results so far. BU would be considered a reach for me, as my # are quite a bit below theirs (both MCAT and GPA wise), but for some reason it was listed as target for me on that website which could be why I managed to get an interview there?

I'll probably do a re-compare once more decisions have come out as well to see how accurate it overall was for me. Anyway my school list is already in so it's more of a retrospective thing :)

@kilez12, Yay fellow bruin :) I'm probably in your books though..I'm an alumni nontrad. Graduated awhile ago. But I have never forgotten the scary amounts of traffic in and around that area...and I miss umami burger and 800 degree pizza like no one's business.

LizzyM ~66-67 (3.36 cGPA, 33 MCAT (9/10/14)
NY resident
ORM

Total applied: 18 MD, 10 DO

Interviews: 1 DO (NYCOM [IS]), 0 MD
Rejections (pre-secondary): University of Washington (should not have applied there), UNECOM (won't take AP credits)
Rejections (pre-interview): KCUMB
Holds: GW

Overall very little movement as of yet

I personally found the one on prospectivedoc more accurate than LizzyM + other chance predictors I've seen..and I'm only comparing it to my results so far. BU would be considered a reach for me, as my # are quite a bit below theirs (both MCAT and GPA wise), but for some reason it was listed as target for me on that website which could be why I managed to get an interview there?

I'll probably do a re-compare once more decisions have come out as well to see how accurate it overall was for me. Anyway my school list is already in so it's more of a retrospective thing :)

@kilez12, Yay fellow bruin :) I'm probably in your books though..I'm an alumni nontrad. Graduated awhile ago. But I have never forgotten the scary amounts of traffic in and around that area...and I miss umami burger and 800 degree pizza like no one's business.
I wouldn't worry about tulane. They are highly selective based on mission, so if you don't have years serving the underserved, then they'll cut you no matter your numbers.

You can still fill out a DO application and be totally on time for the DO cycle.

Hmm, I might reconsider if I do not get any interviews in the upcoming cycle. Dropped $5,000-$6,000K already on MD applications alone (36 schools), so a little reluctant to drop more money at this point, but I think I might apply to 5-6 DO schools in the next few months if there's no sign of hope. But as of right now, still clinging on to that hope that I'll get an interview from the MD schools I applied to soon!

Haha, 800 degrees is definitely the best, never tried Umami burger though, but I think they closed that one down in Westwood. Either that or I never saw it :( Gotta try it soon though! But I have to agree, the traffic is atrocious.

LizzyM: >65, <70

II: West Virginia and Jefferson
Holds: George Washington (what a surprise)
Rejections: none (but i did apply to Penn..so im waiting on that..)

LizzyM: >65, <70

II: West Virginia and Jefferson
Holds: George Washington (what a surprise)
Rejections: none (but i did apply to Penn..so im waiting on that..)

Congrats on your IIs so far! Hoping for one from Jefferson soon >.< #decisionpending4lyfe

Congrats on your IIs so far! Hoping for one from Jefferson soon >.< #decisionpending4lyfe

Thanks! I was absolutely ecstatic when i saw that i was offered an interview!

LizzyM < 65 overall, ~69 using most recent science degree. Non-traditional. One o' them there reinvention folks.

Interviews: Wayne State, Hofstra, Tulane, Miami, VCU, Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, Rowan (Osteopathic), LMU-DCOM, Rush

Pre-secondary Rejections: Touro-NV, Rocky Vista

Edit: Virginia resident

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
dang, you guys have a lot of interviews,

I only have a tulane II

II: Hofstra, Quinnipiac, SLU

Rejections: none

LizzyM = 66-69

Congrats on your interviews, I really hope I get one from Hofstra - absolutely fantastic school.

LizzyM < 65 overall, ~69 using most recent science degree. Non-traditional. One o' them there reinvention folks.

Interviews: Wayne State, Hofstra, Tulane, Miami, VCU, Case Western, Rosalind Franklin

Pre-secondary Rejections: Touro-NV, Rocky Vista

Wow, so many interviews! Congratulations, it looks like you're pretty set for an acceptance right now! Hope luck goes your way for all the interviews :)

Hello all! We should definitely include State Residency! :)

Lizzy: <65
Been on hold for everything...all secondaries in!

Hello all! We should definitely include State Residency! :)

Lizzy: <65
Been on hold for everything...all secondaries in!

I just edited my first post to include state residency as well. I think it definitely makes a difference - thanks for mentioning!

dang, you guys have a lot of interviews,

I only have a tulane II

Ditto! Super grateful to have an II already though. Have submitted around 20 secondaries, still waiting on UCLA (my alma mater)/Drew/PRIME and UCSF and UC Davis.
LM ~ 68 , CA

Awesome thread right here!
II: NONE
Rejections: NONE :)
LizzyM: 65-70

My pre-med adviser told me "its impossible with your numbers to go to a US MD school."
I'm determined to get in, schedule a visit with him, and shove it in his face.

Reactions: 15 users
Awesome thread right here!
II: NONE
Rejections: NONE :)
LizzyM: 65-70

My pre-med adviser told me "its impossible with your numbers to go to a US MD school."
I'm determined to get in, schedule a visit with him, and shove it in his face.

That's the spirit! Show it to the naysayers. People have always told me I couldn't do a lot of things in my life. I blatantly ignored them every time. Hoping for interviews to come your way soon in the upcoming weeks

Not sure how multiple mcats will ultimately impact lizzy score..but
Low end LizzyM = 65
High end lizzym = 70.
No ii... but no rejections either.

Lizzy M~67-68
Applied to ~30 schools
II: GWU, WVU
Rejections: USC
Holds: none

I was complete at the very end of July/early August for most schools so I hope to hear a bit more from schools soon!

Is being a Texas resident a special circumstance?

LizzyM 69
7 interviews at all Texas schools except Baylor, UTSW, and UTH
0 rejections so far

Last edited:
Florida Resident... LizzyM 68-69 (with a horrifyingly low 3.2 sGPA)

II's at Tulane, FIU, FAU, and LECOM-Bradenton
Applied to 26 MD and 4 DO
No rejections yet, but on the stupid GW hold

LizzyM: 68 (low cGPA, reinvention)
II: KCUMB, CCOM
HOLD: GW, U of Kentucky
No rejections yet.
NV resident.

Is being a Texas resident a special circumstance?

LizzyM 69
7 interviews at all Texas schools except Baylor, UTSW, and UTH
0 rejections so far, although I didn't receive a UCLA secondary

Yes. If you are from Florida or Texas, its much easier to get admitted to a MD school. Regardless, grats on your interviews!

LizzyM~68, Non-trad
II: 0
Rejections: 0
Other: 1 hold (GW)
Silence: 19 MD, 2 DO.

Still have 1 MD secondary (if I decide to tough it out) and 2 DO secondaries to complete (for sure).

It's early yet...

Yes. If you are from Florida or Texas, its much easier to get admitted to a MD school. Regardless, grats on your interviews!

Not for Florida. Pretty common misconception. There are alot of schools in FL and many show IS bias which is why people think its a great state to get into med school for but the reality is all those schools get TONS of apps from Fl residents and many are relatively small schools. I don't think a single Fl school even gives interviews 20% of IS applicants and I'd say the majority of states in the country have at least one school that interviews 20+% of IS apps. This is also shown in the fact that only 22% of Fl applicants matriculate IS which is a pretty low number really and the stat you'll always hear gyngyn recite when talking about what states are "luckiest".

True lucky states are in many cases the small ones that people dont think of and don't have major cities. WV, SC, ND, SD, AL, MS, ARK, NM, LA, Kent come to mind at first.

Not for Florida. Pretty common misconception. There are alot of schools in FL and many show IS bias which is why people think its a great state to get into med school for but the reality is all those schools get TONS of apps from Fl residents and many are relatively small schools. I don't think a single Fl school even gives interviews 20% of IS applicants and I'd say the majority of states in the country have at least one school that interviews 20+% of IS apps. This is also shown in the fact that only 22% of Fl applicants matriculate IS which is a pretty low number really and the stat you'll always hear gyngyn recite when talking about what states are "luckiest".

True lucky states are in many cases the small ones that people dont think of and don't have major cities. WV, SC, ND, SD, AL, MS, ARK, NM, LA, Kent come to mind at first.

So I'm sure you are right, but if there are so many applicants in florida, then why are a few of their MD schools at such low MCAT score medians?

So I'm sure you are right, but if there are so many applicants in florida, then why are a few of their MD schools at such low MCAT score medians?

I'm not saying the people who get into those schools are high stat applicants. It's just there are ALOT of Fl applicants who apply to these Fl schools. That's why only 21% of them who apply actually matriculate in Fl which is not a high number at all. It's somewhat analgous to lower tier and lower yield schools like GW, Drexel, G-town etc. The people who get in are often the 3.6/31 variety; it's just there are so many of them applying for relatively few spots it makes it so competitive.

Also its true that some Fl schools probably just simply put less weight in the MCAT. Certainly this is true of schools like FSU. Doesn't make them less competitive.

I'm not saying the people who get into those schools are high stat applicants. It's just there are ALOT of Fl applicants who apply to these Fl schools. That's why only 21% of them who apply actually matriculate in Fl which is not a high number at all. It's somewhat analgous to lower tier and lower yield schools like GW, Drexel, G-town etc. The people who get in are often the 3.6/31 variety; it's just there are so many of them applying for relatively few spots it makes it so competitive.

Also its true that some Fl schools probably just simply put less weight in the MCAT. Certainly this is true of schools like FSU. Doesn't make them less competitive.

I see. I wish I lived in Texas. l0l

No seriously though, after going on my first DO school interview, I would be happy going to an upper tier DO school as well. Of course if I get into my state MD school, I'm gonna go because its only 30k tuition which is insanely cheap.

If you live in these states you're golden:

Alabama 47% matriculate
Kentucky 43%
S Carolina 43%
West Virginia 55%

Imagine how nice it would be to have a 50% shot at admissions ...