Official 2015-2016: LizzyM <70 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's part of the reason why I always hesitate with SMP recommendations there are a ALOT of really smart people in them. The type of people I usually say are reasonable candidates for SMPs are a) those with strong upward trends but who's GPA is still just too far below the radar to keep doing post-bacc work b) those with strong MCATs but who go to grade deflating schools. You fall in the latter but I think you'll do just fine without an SMP. Being on SDN and having any semblance of knowledge about the process and where to apply is such an advantage to you over so many apps.
Stahp it, you're going to make me blush. Seriously though. Everyone, from my college counselors to my Professors, told me that I should do an SMP or go to PA school. Because, according to them, <3.7=death in Ca. I was told by one counselor that unless you have a 40 mcat, a 3.5 (no, that's not my GPA) is barely competitive for the lowest of low-tier MD schools. Good thing I actually look for data, and don't just take people at their word when they make outrageous claims. Still, it took several months on SDN to dispel my neuroticism.

Stahp it, you're going to make me blush. Seriously though. Everyone, from my college counselors to my Professors, told me that I should do an SMP or go to PA school. Because, according to them, <3.7=death in Ca. I was told by one counselor that unless you have a 40 mcat, a 3.5 (no, that's not my GPA) is barely competitive for the lowest of low-tier MD schools. Good thing I actually look for data, and don't just take people at their word when they make outrageous claims. Still, it took several months on SDN to dispel my neuroticism.
First time I've ever heard of SDN decreasing neuroticism!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, that's a bold and inaccurate claim to make. That's really annoying when counselors don't know anything and have the audacity to make such a statement that could alter your whole life path... :rolleyes:

The scary thing is that there are probably tons of people who follow this garbage advice and completely screw themselves.

Ironically someone with a mediocre GPA/top MCAT is probably a worse candidate for PA schools than MD schools given the way PA's are so competitive require thousands of clinical hours and don't give a rat's a-- about the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Z

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
LizzyM ~67

No interviews, no rejections, no holds, just silence. :whistle:

I wonder how other people are dealing with e-mail notifications that aren't Med school related :wacky: lol

I'm unsubscribing all of the crap!! I needed to do it before this anyway haha

If it is any encouragement to you, I have a low sGPA (backwards checkmark shaped trend) and was afraid of not getting in anywhere. I applied this year because my MCAT is expiring (my MCAT is good, but lower than a 37). I was enrolled in an SMP, but withdrew because my gut was telling me not to take on that kind of debt. Right now I have 6.5 MD IIs (the 0.5 because Western Michigan gives phone interviews before the in person interview).

If your sGPA is above 3.3 (or could get there before you apply), you will almost certainly get interviews and likely an acceptance

hahahaha thats the best way Ive ever heard it described...I've been calling it "The Orgo Crater"

@cherubb3, Interview at Case Western with a 67 LizzyM score? What did you do? Find a cure for cancer? Please share your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I've posted all of these at least 5 other times but sure, I'll play.

LizzyM 67-68

MD: II at WVU, Georgetown, TCMC; rejected at Tulane, OUWB, Indiana
DO: II at CCOM, LECOM.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, AZ MD schools are also interesting because around 70% of their incoming class is in-state, which is a bit low if you ask me. I may be biased though. ;) Their stats are average, but the trouble is certainly the amount of seats. I'm comfortably in their median range and praying for a spot.

I interview at AZCOM next month, how was it overall? :)

AZCOM was great tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
This thread is my jam.

LizzyM: 67
Utah resident, strong ties in the Midwest

MD: II at Kentucky, Nebraska; rejected at Georgetown, Tulane
DO: crawling to complete the secondaries...submitted 4 out of 6

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay now I have another II from Upstate (check your portals, people!) and my first rejection--from Georgetown.

Since only a couple hours have passed, I updated my first post for those playing along at home.

Okay now I have another II from Upstate (check your portals, people!) and my first rejection--from Georgetown.

Since only a couple hours have passed, I updated my first post for those playing along at home.

Congrats! New York resident? Really hoping some love from the SUNYs even though I'm from CA

Congrats! New York resident? Really hoping some love from the SUNYs even though I'm from CA
Yep, NY! Originally from CA tho. Hoping for CA love too. :)

LizzyM 68~69

II: Indiana University, Tulane, Wayne, and West Virginia
Rejections: Keck and Mayo

Still waiting to hear from LOTS of schools

LizzyM 65
II: OHSU
No other invites or news yet from MD programs. Did receive a rejection from OUWB.

Case values reinvention, apparently! I have also been told that I have what you could call "killer ECs." My MCAT is 34.

What's reinvention? An upward trend throughout the years?

What's reinvention? An upward trend throughout the years?
I guess an upward trend could be called reinvention but I think it generally means a strong performance in a post-bacc, SMP, or second degree after not doing well in undergrad.

LizzyM ~65. PA.

II: 1 MD (IS), 1 DO
Rejections: 0
Silence: 32 schools
Have 2 DO secondaries left to complete.

CA resident
LizzyM: 61 (lol don't even know why I applied to MD schools. can't believe UCSD sent me a secondary.)
Interviews: 0 MD, 2 DO
Rejections: Tulane post secondary

I was told by one counselor that unless you have a 40 mcat, a 3.5 (no, that's not my GPA) is barely competitive for the lowest of low-tier MD schools.
From personal experience, I really disagree with him/her.

Is there anyone on here who received a II from Downstate with a LizzyM score of 70>?

Is there anyone on here who received a II from Downstate with a LizzyM score of 70>?
I have a friend who has my exact stats and similar research work. He did. Late--like March. He also has local doctor parents and knows people. Apparently the person who interviewed him was super hostile, tho.

I have a friend who has my exact stats and similar research work. He did. Late--like March. He also has local doctor parents and knows people. Apparently the person who interviewed him was super hostile, tho.
What are your stats? I have a 68-69.

LizzyM 69 (31 MCAT), GA

24 MD schools

II-Quinnipiac
Rejection-Tulane
Hold-GW

Still waiting to hear from the rest. Concerned after reading this thread about the number of interviews compared to others with similar/lower LizzyM. Submitted AMCAS on the first day and had all secondaries sent within a week of receiving them...:(

LizzyM 69 (31 MCAT), GA

24 MD schools

II-Quinnipiac
Rejection-Tulane
Hold-GW

Still waiting to hear from the rest. Concerned after reading this thread about the number of interviews compared to others with similar/lower LizzyM. Submitted AMCAS on the first day and had all secondaries sent within a week of receiving them...:(
I'm sure you'll hear from some of the others next month. We are still early in the cycle for decisions at most schools

I'm sure you'll hear from some of the others next month. We are still early in the cycle for decisions at most schools

Thank you for the encouragement. All the schools I've applied to (besides Emory, but don't know how GA residence plays into this), I'm either above, at, or only 1 point below the MCAT average. I just thought with a smart list I'd be a little further along than where I'm at.

Thank you for the encouragement. All the schools I've applied to (besides Emory, but don't know how GA residence plays into this), I'm either above, at, or only 1 point below the MCAT average. I just thought with a smart list I'd be a little further along than where I'm at.

Georgia residency is very helpful at Emory, especially if you do UG at Emory. If you can articulate your connection to Atlanta, it will be a significant boost to your app.

Disclaimer : I'm not a med student, I just know some people at Emory med

Sounds like I might be in good company in this thread, and I could use it!

cGPA ~3.3, MCAT 517 (third attempt, 35 on the old scale) for a LizzyM of 68

~275 credits overall, the last ~170 of which correspond to a 3.9+ GPA. I'm definitely hoping someone, somewhere takes the time to glance over my transcripts, but even then... the number of amazing applicants is staggering.

So far, 3 rejections and no II's, but keeping my head up. Looking forward to the start of the semester to keep me busy.